ADVERTISEMENT

Well Timmy

I think Riley and Miles are different stories. Riley was a .500 coach who had a decent season every now and then sprinkled in with some losing seasons. Miles was billed as a program builder. Every where he went he left the team better than when he got there.
SW Minnesota St: 16-11 his first season, 28-7(D2 elite 8) his last season
ND St: 11-15 his first season, 20-8 his last season
CSU: 7-25 his first season, 20-12(NCAA second round) his last season.

I don't see the two being similar.

Yeah, well....Craig Smith is no longer here. Barry Collier was awesome too with Thad Matta as his assistant.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dean Pope
I was 2 when Devaney coached. So yes you are right I doubt anyone listened. Second. Go take a peak at Miles history over the last 25 years of coaching.
Your comment was " I just don't think we are going to get any better than a Tim Miles type of coach." and I was pointing out two coaches that came to Husker sports that were not successful and they made them great. I'm not a huge fan of miles. I like his personality but I believe we have seen the best he can provide. I don't need to look at his 25 year career I have seen enough in 6 years but to say we can't get better than miles is just not true.

Only if moos has someone lined up and onboard that will actually make a difference.

IMO, Moos got a gift by Miles getting to 20 wins and 13 wins Big Ten. Moos can legitimately leave Miles in place another year without much issue. Enough fans will accept that either Miles deserves another year or conversely that you can't fire a coach who just got to 20 plus wins and finished 13-5 in the Big Ten. So, Moos won't catch too much flak for giving Miles another year. In the meantime, he can let football settle down and spend the next year working his contacts for a replacement. If Palmer goes pro and Roby, Allen or one or more of the other young contributors moves on - better yet if you are Moos, since then you will undoubtedly have good reason to make a move next year (assuming that translates into another .500 or worse season). I bet if Tim gets an extension, its with a limit on any buyout - like we will give you an extension for appearances sake, but your buy-out will be based on the current length of your contract.

Just heard on the radio this morning. Of Nebraska's 22 wins, only 4 of them were against teams that had records above .500. 1 of those teams made the tournament(Michigan). This whole, 'He won 20+ games so we have to keep him' is BS. 18 wins against opponents under .500. The committee had it right from the beginning we weren't even worthy of consideration. I'm tired of this we're never going to do any better from the same people that said 'Frost will never come back' I believe in Bill Moos' ability to go out and get us a coach that can get us over the hump.

Just heard on the radio this morning. Of Nebraska's 22 wins, only 4 of them were against teams that had records above .500. 1 of those teams made the tournament(Michigan). This whole, 'He won 20+ games so we have to keep him' is BS. 18 wins against opponents under .500. The committee had it right from the beginning we weren't even worthy of consideration. I'm tired of this we're never going to do any better from the same people that said 'Frost will never come back' I believe in Bill Moos' ability to go out and get us a coach that can get us over the hump.

The problem is that the grounded people in the fanbase don't speak up. You only have people who say we can never do better than Tim Miles or Doc Sadler and we might as well just get used to it, and people who don't understand why we don't just hire Mike Krzyzewski or John Calipari or Tom Izzo. I honestly question whether our fanbase has enough knowledge of any of the sports to honestly have a well reasoned discussion about who would be a good fit/winner/willing to come here.

I like Tim Miles. Had a beer with him during the North Texas Nebraskans Final Four event here in Dallas a few years back. Nice man. I won't be mad if he sticks around, but I'll be damned if I'm going to go another 14 years before we go back to the tournament. If Bill Moos doesn't think that we can get there before then with Coach Miles...lets move on as quickly as we can and get in the show and get that win sooner than later.

Let me start this off with a disclaimer. lol I do not like Miles, and I do not think he is going to make this program better.
Unfortunately we are not a basketball school. No coaches want to come here and no kids want to come play here. People think football recruiting here is tough, basketball is 100 times harder. I just don't think we are going to get any better than a Tim Miles type of coach.
We may not be a BB school. But doggone it. WHAT MORE DO WE AS FANS HAVE TO DO. Hello Mr terrific BB coach!! We have crappy teams yet we put 15000 fans in the seats even playing crappy nonconference teams. Very few programs doing that. You don't need to win over the fans. This is prime for the picking... IF it were available.

We may not be a BB school. But doggone it. WHAT MORE DO WE AS FANS HAVE TO DO. Hello Mr terrific BB coach!! We have crappy teams yet we put 15000 fans in the seats even playing crappy nonconference teams. Very few programs doing that. You don't need to win over the fans. This is prime for the picking... IF it were available.

Yeah, I think the answer is closer to this. We aren't a college basketball mecca, but neither was Creighton once. Why they've outpaced us for this long is ridiculous. We have every advantage over them, and we're recruiting to basically the same place. If Creighton can get that consistency, so can Nebraska.

It is puzzling how NU can't be a baseball school but look at the big names of college basketball ku Kentucky North Carolina ucla they've struggled in football they had decent seasons but have never been consistent then you have a few like Florida that has won in both but not now, you have Ohio state and Michigan and Michigan state that have been good at both but been tough to maintain. I really think that had Nebraska years ago taken the best Nebraska kids things probably would have been different it seemed that the coaches tried hitting a home run with kids that no other big schools wanted instead of taking a chance on the local kid

It is puzzling how NU can't be a baseball school but look at the big names of college basketball ku Kentucky North Carolina ucla they've struggled in football they had decent seasons but have never been consistent then you have a few like Florida that has won in both but not now, you have Ohio state and Michigan and Michigan state that have been good at both but been tough to maintain. I really think that had Nebraska years ago taken the best Nebraska kids things probably would have been different it seemed that the coaches tried hitting a home run with kids that no other big schools wanted instead of taking a chance on the local kid

Also - Alabama, Oklahoma, Notre Dame, Tennessee, Virginia Tech, Oregon, Miami, FSU, Auburn, Texas A&M, and TCU are all football schools that have been able to field good basketball teams once they went out and hired a really good coach. There's no reason we couldn't do the same.

It doesn't need to be one or the other. If all sports are successful the cash coming in would be astronomical

Miles is a great interview ...but a terrible coach. He should have been fired a couple years ago....so now we have to wait for the inevitable contract extension and firing to happen next year.

Reactions: TheNewNU
Another thing to keep in mind is Miles has less pressure as long as PBA is full. Remember Moos' comments about football fan apathy? As long as people are willing to come and see mediocre basketball and there's no financial impact, his seat is a little cooler. Sad but true.

Didn't I hear that Nebraska was 11th in average home attendance (basketball) this year? Seems odd considering we aren't a basketball school... people shouldn't care right? It has to be obvious the only reason we haven't been successful has everything to do with coaches and the administration support. There is literally no good reason that Nebraska has yet to secure a victory in the NCAA tournament and our trips there have been so far and few between.

Nebraska basketball = basketball purgatory
Purgatory? Nah. As long as Timmy wins enough to fill up PBA, he isn't going anywhere. Those 22 wins this past year were pretty darned fun no matter what the opposition's records. You have to admit that watching Palmer, Copeland and Roby was a treat most of the time. We need to get to where we can win those "games that matter" and the debate right now is whether Miles can consistently build a roster to do that.

Purgatory? Nah. As long as Timmy wins enough to fill up PBA, he isn't going anywhere. Those 22 wins this past year were pretty darned fun no matter what the opposition's records. You have to admit that watching Palmer, Copeland and Roby was a treat most of the time. We need to get to where we can win those "games that matter" and the debate right now is whether Miles can consistently build a roster to do that.

Here is the problem. If you only measure to what you’ve been and not what you can be, then you will remain in purgatory. McDermott has averaged 23 wins per year the last few years and Miles is excited about 22. That says it all.

IMO, Moos got a gift by Miles getting to 20 wins and 13 wins Big Ten. Moos can legitimately leave Miles in place another year without much issue. Enough fans will accept that either Miles deserves another year or conversely that you can't fire a coach who just got to 20 plus wins and finished 13-5 in the Big Ten. So, Moos won't catch too much flak for giving Miles another year. In the meantime, he can let football settle down and spend the next year working his contacts for a replacement. If Palmer goes pro and Roby, Allen or one or more of the other young contributors moves on - better yet if you are Moos, since then you will undoubtedly have good reason to make a move next year (assuming that translates into another .500 or worse season). I bet if Tim gets an extension, its with a limit on any buyout - like we will give you an extension for appearances sake, but your buy-out will be based on the current length of your contract.

I agree. Miles reported asked for face time with Moos through Boehm. The local media is talking like we either have to fire him or extend him. I say neither. Let the weak schedule 22 win season stand on its own and keep Miles another year. Give Hunter, the ace recruiter, a raise or an extra year if you want to do anything at all.

Reactions: TheNewNU
I agree. Miles reported asked for face time with Moos through Boehm. The local media is talking like we either have to fire him or extend him. I say neither. Let the weak schedule 22 win season stand on its own and keep Miles another year. Give Hunter, the ace recruiter, a raise or an extra year if you want to do anything at all.
But, but.... top recruits and their parents are the only people on Earth who don't know that contract extensions don't mean a hill of beans when it comes to who will be coaching at their school in 4 to 5 years. They long for stability, and demand to know that they'll have the same coach for their entire college career!*

*This load of total BS is brought to you by the National Association of Basketball Coaches.

Bill Moos, "

This is an excellent point. Bill Moos even said that the fans deserve better, in reference to football. But, that needs to apply to every sport at this institution. NU basketball fan support is pretty damned incredible, period. The fact that NU has no history in basketball makes it phenomenal. The fans do deserve better. It's been 7 years. How much longer do you give a coach?

But, but.... top recruits and their parents are the only people on Earth who don't know that contract extensions don't mean a hill of beans when it comes to who will be coaching at their school in 4 to 5 years. They long for stability, and demand to know that they'll have the same coach for their entire college career!*

*This load of total BS is brought to you by the National Association of Basketball Coaches.

And meanwhile, the top level recruits and transfers that teams covet only want to stay a year or two anyway since all of those guys have pro aspirations.

Here is the problem. If you only measure to what you’ve been and not what you can be, then you will remain in purgatory. McDermott has averaged 23 wins per year the last few years and Miles is excited about 22. That says it all.
McDermott got to start out his career with at least some semblance of basketball tradition AND with his 1st round draft pick son. I don't think Creighton is a fair comparison. Having McBuckets helped his recruiting quite a bit IMO. We'll see how they do in the years to come. That said, I'm not excusing Miles. 22 wins is NOT the goal post. Being considered a good enough team to regularly appear in the NCAA tourney should be the goal post at least for now. Heck 20 wins could be okay if it gets us in the tourney. Finishing in the top 4 of the conference, AHEAD OF MICHIGAN, was a nice start but if he can't regularly at least get us in the tourney then we need to look elsewhere.

McDermott got to start out his career with at least some semblance of basketball tradition AND with his 1st round draft pick son. I don't think Creighton is a fair comparison. Having McBuckets helped his recruiting quite a bit IMO. We'll see how they do in the years to come. That said, I'm not excusing Miles. 22 wins is NOT the goal post. Being considered a good enough team to regularly appear in the NCAA tourney should be the goal post at least for now. Heck 20 wins could be okay if it gets us in the tourney. Finishing in the top 4 of the conference, AHEAD OF MICHIGAN, was a nice start but if he can't regularly at least get us in the tourney then we need to look elsewhere.

He has been to the tournament once in 6 years. That is the definition of "can't regularly at least get us in the tourney" But, maybe next year...o_O

You mean the son no one, outside on UNI, recruited? He wasn’t player of the year material when he got there.

Nebraska basketball fan has been saying Creighton is going to fall back for 15 years or more. With each player that leaves, some will yell from the rafters, They won’t be able to replace him. Buford, Korver, Funk, Woodfox, McDermott, Watson, Patton all left and for the most part they keep on keepin on. Foster and Thomas are the next in line. They will be replaced too. 3 Freshmen played significant roles, Mintz and Harrell will be back. The have a top 30 recruiting class coming in and if Krampelj can come back from this latest injury, it will just be more of the same.

You mean the son no one, outside on UNI, recruited? He wasn’t player of the year material when he got there.

Nebraska basketball fan has been saying Creighton is going to fall back for 15 years or more. With each player that leaves, some will yell from the rafters, They won’t be able to replace him. Buford, Korver, Funk, Woodfox, McDermott, Watson, Patton all left and for the most part they keep on keepin on. Foster and Thomas are the next in line. They will be replaced too. 3 Freshmen played significant roles, Mintz and Harrell will be back. The have a top 30 recruiting class coming in and if Krampelj can come back from this latest injury, it will just be more of the same.
You're forgetting that the only teams Creighton ever beats are those who were overrated in the first place. Or better yet, those top 5 teams that the Big East has asked to take a dive in order to get Creighton into the tourney. These among are the keen, objective insights available on this board.

Reactions: Tuco Salamanca

And yet, Creighton fans seem to be growing tired of McDermott while many Husker fans are cool with zero postseason wins in six years. Not mention Miles inability to keep the score within single digits against McDermott.

THE SON nobody else TRIED to recruit because they knew they had no shot of luring him away from Papa McDermott. My point is more though once he had so much success at the college level it got much easier for McDermott to recruit better talent to Creighton. Hence the guys you note coming down the pipe for Creighton. Will Palmer and Copeland translate in to better freshman recruiting for Miles? That's yet to be seen. Look, I'm not puffing up Miles. My point is that we have to try to objectively look at the difference in circumstances of the two situations. Creighton hires a coach who brings on his kid who turns out to be an NBA first rounder. On top of that at the time Creighton had a much easier path to the tourney than NU to go with more basketball tradition. Miles? Not so much and nothing much on the roster to start with. I realize I'm not going to win this discussion with you. You're remarkably negative about Miles and NU basketball and are ready to start over. I'm just not sure yet that that is where we should go.

Reactions: PvilleHuskerTim
THE SON nobody else TRIED to recruit because they knew they had no shot of luring him away from Papa McDermott. My point is more though once he had so much success at the college level it got much easier for McDermott to recruit better talent to Creighton. Hence the guys you note coming down the pipe for Creighton. Will Palmer and Copeland translate in to better freshman recruiting for Miles? That's yet to be seen. Look, I'm not puffing up Miles. My point is that we have to try to objectively look at the difference in circumstances of the two situations. Creighton hires a coach who brings on his kid who turns out to be an NBA first rounder. On top of that at the time Creighton had a much easier path to the tourney than NU to go with more basketball tradition. Miles? Not so much and nothing much on the roster to start with. I realize I'm not going to win this discussion with you. You're remarkably negative about Miles and NU basketball and are ready to start over. I'm just not sure yet that that is where we should go.

Huh? You do realize that 99% of Doug's recruitment happened while Coach McDermott was at Iowa State right? His dad did not offer him a scholarship until he took the Creighton job and Northern Iowa let Doug out of his LOI. Speaking of first rounders and how they translate to more recruiting success...Miles had two first rounders 50 miles down the road and decided not to pursue in recruiting them. Although, IMO had Thomas chosen Nebraska his offensive game would have never reached the level where he would be a projected first rounder.

Reactions: huskerfan1414

As was stated above McDermott didn’t offer his own kid at Iowa St because he didn’t think he was that good. The kid signed with UNI and had to be released from his scholarship to be able to sign with Creighton.

Creighton didn’t hire McDermott because his son was some 5 star recruit.

Well considering Nebraska is sitting at 62 with three 3 star players in their class and have no 2019s committed, I don’t think the Palmer/ Copeland transfers are helping much. Now it may help on the transfer market.

We had 7 Top 150 recruits on the roster this year. That should be enough talent to make the NCAA tournament. Miles seems to be following the Fred Hoiberg blueprint of going hard after transfers, which worked pretty well at Iowa State, but then again Hoiberg is a much better coach.

Speaking of transfers, Miles should go after this kid at his former school:

We had 7 Top 150 recruits on the roster this year. That should be enough talent to make the NCAA tournament. Miles seems to be following the Fred Hoiberg blueprint of going hard after transfers, which worked pretty well at Iowa State, but then again Hoiberg is a much better coach.

Or go after his former school. Laughing

Reactions: huskerfan1414
Huh? You do realize that 99% of Doug's recruitment happened while Coach McDermott was at Iowa State right? His dad did not offer him a scholarship until he took the Creighton job and Northern Iowa let Doug out of his LOI. Speaking of first rounders and how they translate to more recruiting success...Miles had two first rounders 50 miles down the road and decided not to pursue in recruiting them. Although, IMO had Thomas chosen Nebraska his offensive game would have never reached the level where he would be a projected first rounder.
I did not realize that. Regardless, my original point was that the kid did in fact turn in to an NBA first rounder that helped his dad IMMENSELY while he was at Creighton and elevated McDermott's perception of being able to get players to the NBA. The whole level of recruit Doug was sidetracked me from the topic. A friend of mine was in Creighton's locker room earlier this year for an early conference game and McDermott's statement with recruits in the room to his team and the recruits was "my job is to get you ready for the NBA". I would say that Dougie helped daddy sell that to recruits.

In hindsight, I agree with that statement and thus why I've posted that given the way Palmer especially emerged, there is no excuse for the way the season ended..

I posted an article about Carvacho a week or so ago, and suggested the same thing. NU should also look at Tory Miller-Stewart, who's leaving Colorado as a grad transfer. Not a star player, but a decent big man who is eligible to play immediately.

Extend or gone? Shoot...that's pretty easy for Moos. Don't let the door hit yah where the Lord split yah, Timmy!

Rumors are floating around 3 returning key players (Palmer, Roby and Copeland) are leaving to play pro (even if NBA is not an option) so they either don't like Miles or they know he is probably toast.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT