ADVERTISEMENT

Washington Commanders it is.

Reads to much like commandos to me, which I like better, but whatevs.
Dad, do you wear boxers or briefs?
xmLUrWrOEogNmeWp89tQ3P-v-cyqIkPzQTLN-WrzrmM.jpg

The experts would have made as much sense but then anytime they make a mistake on the field, it would remind any of their fans of the experts in DC who are making even worse mistakes.

EDIT: should have stayed with football team. It least that is a correct statement, a rarity in the DC area.

Reactions: Anegada1
You live in an area with natives not far way. Here's a test, drive down to Macy or Winnebago and find a group of young men. Yell, "Hey you redskins!" and report back what happens.
I not only live in an area with a large number of native Americans but I also know a fair number. Many of them call themselves redskins and are proud of it. The native American population in our area has WAY more important issues to deal with than the name of a sports team. For a long time the term "Indian" was considered racist by some Native Americans because "we're not from India". Now it's widely accepted by many and the name of the Crazy Horse center in the Blackhills is the National Indian museum.

I actually kind of liked the WFT
Really I think that would have been better than what they went with. Maybe with the "Commanders" they'll have a George Washington mascot running around with a white wig and wooden teeth.....

I not only live in an area with a large number of native Americans but I also know a fair number. Many of them call themselves redskins and are proud of it. The native American population in our area has WAY more important issues to deal with than the name of a sports team. For a long time the term "Indian" was considered racist by some Native Americans because "we're not from India". Now it's widely accepted by many and the name of the Crazy Horse center in the Blackhills is the National Indian museum.
I grew up on the Omaha reservation and most of my family still lives there. I also know a lot of natives and my brother in law is an enrolled member. I stand by my challenge and I wouldn't call a native American a redskin to his or her face unless I wanted my ass kicked or at least a really uncomfortable situation.

I grew up on the Omaha reservation and most of my family still lives there. I also know a lot of natives and my brother in law is an enrolled member. I stand by my challenge and I wouldn't call a native American a redskin to his or her face unless I wanted my ass kicked or at least a really uncomfortable situation.
You have some militant friends. I don't use the term either but I can tell you that context is important. You conveniently forget that the Washington Redskins were named in honor of some of their Native American players and that George Allen consulted with a group on the Pine Ridge Indian Reservation when designing their logo back in the early 70s. You might remember what was happening at the Pine Ridge during that time frame. People can be offended if they choose to be offended.

You have some militant friends. I don't use the term either but I can tell you that context is important. You conveniently forget that the Washington Redskins were named in honor of some of their Native American players and that George Allen consulted with a group on the Pine Ridge Indian Reservation when designing their logo back in the early 70s. You might remember what was happening at the Pine Ridge during that time frame. People can be offended if they choose to be offended.
This is accurate. White liberal guilt is a powerful force. There are many native Americans who took pride in the Redskins name and what it represented. It wasn't demeaning, unlike the Cleveland Indians whose mascot was a terrible caricature.

Again, I'm not telling you what to feel. I'm also not telling you what 100% of natives think or feel. I'm telling you what I personally would or would not feel comfortable saying to someone. I stand by what I said and I don't think the majority of the native americans I would encounter around where I grew up would be comfortable with you calling them redskins. Not militant people, just normal everyday people.

Reactions: dinglefritz
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT