ADVERTISEMENT

OT: anyone do Keto on here?

otismotis08

Head Coach
Jan 5, 2012
parts unknown
I've been on it nonstop for 5+ years. It's been a lifestyle change that I don't see myself deviating from. Lean, improved focus, increased energy, no digestive issues, all the positive benefits that you read about have manifested.

I don't really crave carbs, sugars, etc. It's not a "diet" per-say. Again, it's been a lifestyle change which I believe is the key to the whole thing...much like any other commitment you make. You've got to have the proper mindset for it to be sustainable.

Last edited:
I've done it in the past. I found it hard to stick too (especially during the holidays). It is very definitely effective. I lost quite a bit of weight. I have switched to more of a whole foods diet. The loss rate is slower, but I think will be more sustainable for me.

I've done it in the past. I found it hard to stick too (especially during the holidays). It is very definitely effective. I lost quite a bit of weight. I have switched to more of a whole foods diet. The loss rate is slower, but I think will be more sustainable for me.
Same. I want it simple. Im doing 18/6 intermittent fasting and focusing on less processed food and more natural food with allowances for some faves.

Keto is unsustainable for me.

Same. I want it simple. Im doing 18/6 intermittent fasting and focusing on less processed food and more natural food with allowances for some faves.

Keto is unsustainable for me.
This is what I'm doing except 16/8 intermittent fasting. I don't have to stick to any particular diet and it's dropped my blood pressure so much by not snacking throughout the day that I no longer need any blood pressure medication.

I've done keto intermittently the last 9 years. The first time I did it, I didn't know what net carbs was. I dropped from 275 to 240 in 3 months.

Holidays happen and we regain. But, at my lowest, I got below my HS weigh in at 217.

Over the years, On/Off lifestyle and indulging led me to 349 lbs. I needed to change. July 7, 2022, I embarked back on this lifestyle.

Today I have weighed in at 279 lbs.

You can do it. You can preserve. The best is yet to come.

I've been on it nonstop for 5+ years. It's been a lifestyle change that I don't see myself deviating from. Lean, improved focus, increased energy, no digestive issues, all the positive benefits that you read about have manifested.

I don't really crave carbs, sugars, etc. It's not a "diet" per-say. Again, it's been a lifestyle change which I believe is the key to the whole thing...much like any other commitment you make. You've got to have the proper mindset for it to be sustainable.
So what do you tend to eat?

I am more of a calorie counter, so I just stick to a certain amount of cals each day.

I am more of a calorie counter, so I just stick to a certain amount of cals each day.
Ill be honest with you. It takes stepping on the scale every morning.

Know your number!

You might not like it; maybe hate it, but it's reality. And you will remember that launching point; Even if your clothes fit better.

Eliminate sugar everywhere you can. This is the standard key.

Always read the Carb content for Net Carbs. Carbs minus fiber equals net carbs.

Why does this work?

The body stores fat and water. When you enter starvation mode, your body raids your fats.

Your body holds onto a lot of water. Carbs are only soluble with water. If you eliminate carbs, your body will eliminate water more. This is what we call "water weight".

Carbs are the body's preferred energy source. So easy to convert. But, it is also so easy to store as fat.

The Keto engine involves lack of carbs means your body evolves to a fat burning machine. If you don't supply the chimney with coal, you find something else. The body starts burning those fat stores.

The body will keep doing this as long as it thinks it is in starvation mode.

Last edited:
Reactions: viewfromthebooth

Know your number!

You might not like it; maybe hate it, but it's reality. And you will remember that launching point; Even if your clothes fit better.

Why does this work?

The body stores fat and water. When you enter starvation mode, your body raids your fats.

Your body holds onto a lot of water. Carbs are only soluble with water. If you eliminate carbs, your body will eliminate water more. This is what we call "water weight".

Carbs are the body's preferred energy source. So easy to convert. But, it is also so easy to store as fat.

The Keto engine involves lack of carbs means your body evolves to a fat burning machine. If you don't supply the chimney with coal, you find something else. The body starts burning those fat stores. It keeps doing it as long as it thinks it is in starvation mode.
Oh yeah, I have read that stuff before. I was just wondering what people that are all in on Keto like to eat.

I do a ton of chicken thighs and ground beef and I step on the scale every morning. I just don't do full Keto.

Reactions: Mrs HuskerHusaria

For me, I'll be transparent. My diet tends to be x2 eggs, 2 cups of shredded cheese, x2 zero carb tortillas, 1 large can of chicken. It hits my macros perfectly, with a wiggle room for 14g carbs and whatever sauce I want on everything

Reactions: SuperBigFan
Oh yeah, I have read that stuff before. I was just wondering what people that are all in on Keto like to eat.

I do a ton of chicken thighs and ground beef and I step on the scale every morning. I just don't do full Keto.
What is your carb limit, friend?

I did, and it caused me kidney stones. Works for some, but f'd me up

I'm on the eat whatever I want diet. If I want to lose weight, I just cut out the alcohol and sweets. I cardio at least four days a week and am physically active for most of the day. Don't sit all day in a chair if you want to live long. I made this last night. About to go to my fave Italian place and eat lasagna and bread!

6hiP9Od.jpg

I'm on the eat whatever I want diet. If I want to lose weight, I just cut out the alcohol and sweets. I cardio at least four days a week and am physically active for most of the day. Don't sit all day in a chair if you want to live long. I made this last night. About to go to my fave Italian place and eat lasagna and bread!

6hiP9Od.jpg
You do you, brother!! Pretty jealous as that pizza looks incredible

Reactions: bigboxes

Know your number!

Why does this work?

The Keto engine involves lack of carbs means your body evolves to a fat burning machine. If you don't supply the chimney with coal, you find something else. The body starts burning those fat stores.

The body will keep doing this as long as it thinks it is in starvation mode.
Started January 9th, 2020 and still doing it on less strict (dirty keto) basis. Helped that wife had done it once before and started back up after going to Keto conference in Omaha. Hate to say but COVID helped as limited dining out options. Weighed 284 when started and hit 207 in September of 2020. Couple people mentioned that I looked sick at that time so holding steady around 220-225 range. Arthritis in hands and fingers along with swelling in knees, calves and ankles while sitting in tractor/combine have disappeared. Never thought I'd give up potatoes, bread and pasta.

"Eliminate sugar everywhere you can."
Best statement of your post as sugar promotes hunger.

Started January 9th, 2020 and still doing it on less strict (dirty keto) basis. Helped that wife had done it once before and started back up after going to Keto conference in Omaha. Hate to say but COVID helped as limited dining out options. Weighed 284 when started and hit 207 in September of 2020. Couple people mentioned that I looked sick at that time so holding steady around 220-225 range. Arthritis in hands and fingers along with swelling in knees, calves and ankles while sitting in tractor/combine have disappeared. Never thought I'd give up potatoes, bread and pasta.

"Eliminate sugar everywhere you can."
Best statement of your post as sugar promotes hunger.
Love you man. Love your achievements!!!

My weaknesses are Pizza and Chinese

Salads are big when I eat out. Chic Fil A and Chipotle are awesome. After that, it takes some explanation.

Bonus: I literally had an illegal immigrant guy at Wendy's so confused that I didn't want the bun that he called the manager over. They spoke Spanish together and then fumbled over. He asked me what I meant three times and still didn't understand. I wanted my order without a bun. I got my order on a bun.

Never again.

"This is a Wendys" let me down hard.

If we can't "This is a Wendys", this is an Arby's?

6hiP9Od.jpg

When I went to France, I was shocked how every single person there seemed to be thin...even though they eat bread with every meal, drink wine with every meal, and eat lots of pastries and desserts.

The big difference I think is portion sizes. People just eat bigger meals here. And people over there walk a lot more. So yeah it comes down to just not over-eating and not sitting all the time.

When I went to France, I was shocked how every single person there seemed to be thin...even though they eat bread with every meal, drink wine with every meal, and eat lots of pastries and desserts.

The big difference I think is portion sizes. People just eat bigger meals here. And people over there walk a lot more. So yeah it comes down to just not over-eating and not sitting all the time.
Don't get me wrong. Carbs are going to kill me. But I will die with a smile on my face!

Reactions: Spectrumalaska

Been on keto for the last year.. dropped about 40lbs in the first 9 months, then things have stalled.

I have kept the lifestyle and haven't gained any back, but will have to add some intermittent fasting or drop the carbs lower to get more weight off.

Currently I'm adding more fat to the diet via butter and might try the sardines fasting trick.

It has done wonders for clearing up inflammation in my joints.

I am considering carnivore, but want to research it more.

Been on keto for the last year.. dropped about 40lbs in the first 9 months, then things have stalled.

I have kept the lifestyle and haven't gained any back, but will have to add some intermittent fasting or drop the carbs lower to get more weight off.

Currently I'm adding more fat to the diet via butter and might try the sardines fasting trick.

It has done wonders for clearing up inflammation in my joints.

I am considering carnivore, but want to research it if
How many carbs do you eat per day? Do you get enough exercise?

I've been at my goal weight for years now, so just maintaining. But if I really want to drop more, I'll fast. I've gone without food for as much as 4 days. Actually right now I'm fasting, it's been 3 days. Fat burning on supercharge.

Last edited:
Reactions: NikkiSixx
How many carbs do you eat per day? Do you get enough exercise?

I've been at my goal weight for years now, so just maintaining. But if I really want to drop more, I'll fast. I've gone without food for as much as 4 days. Actually right now I'm fasting, it's been 3 days. Fat burning on supercharge.
I started off limiting to 100grams (which is higher than most here) but was my starting point, and lost about a pound a week for the first 9 months. With that success, I didn't have any need to reduce it further, until now things have stalled.

I do some strength training, but not much cardio. I have done some fasting a year or two before keto, I did a 6 day, and a 4 day fast, and then gained all the weight back, so it was after that, that I decided I needed to make a lifestyle change like you were talking about.

If I reduce my carbs further, I'm sure more weight will come off, but so far it's been good to lose it slowly, so I don't have too much of a problem with loose skin. I mean after 50, you're going to get a little of that, but so far it hasn't really been an issue.

Health wise, I feel really good, better than I have in years.

I do meat veggies no carbs or sugar. I couldn't hack carnivore.

I miss potatoes like crazy. Pasta and rice not so much.

Both my grandfathers died in their mid 50's of heart attacks. My dad is on the carnivore diet and he had to get off the heart medication. His sleep got better, his feet stopped being cold. His blood psi is normal now WITHOUT the medication! Stopped getting tickles in his throat(found out that was the sugar too)

His doctor was giving him an epic crap ton of grief saying he was going to kill himself. My dad converted his doctor now. He admits it's working.

It's not the salt that kills you. It's sugar. Stop eating sugar people. Stop eating crackers, cookies, pasta, wheat products everyday.

I used to get acid reflux to the point where I would wake up and purge my lungs of stomach acid. I thought I was going to die twice. Saying prayers as I stumble to the sink and throw up from my lungs. I'll probably end up with lung cancer. But since I went to the "ketovore" diet all that stopped. I only wake up to piss once in a while now. My sleep is SO much better!!!

I do meat veggies no carbs or sugar. I couldn't hack carnivore.

I miss potatoes like crazy. Pasta and rice not so much.

Both my grandfathers died in their mid 50's of heart attacks. My dad is on the carnivore diet and he had to get off the heart medication. His sleep got better, his feet stopped being cold. His blood psi is normal now WITHOUT the medication! Stopped getting tickles in his throat(found out that was the sugar too)

His doctor was giving him an epic crap ton of grief saying he was going to kill himself. My dad converted his doctor now. He admits it's working.

It's not the salt that kills you. It's sugar. Stop eating sugar people. Stop eating crackers, cookies, pasta, wheat products everyday.

I used to get acid reflux to the point where I would wake up and purge my lungs of stomach acid. I thought I was going to die twice. Saying prayers as I stumble to the sink and throw up from my lungs. I'll probably end up with lung cancer. But since I went to the "ketovore" diet all that stopped. I only wake up to piss once in a while now. My sleep is SO much better!!!
Have a niece that is a nurse and was against my effort at keto. Had another guy say it's not a healthy diet per his doctor. After losing the weight I told them so what doctor would be against a person losing weight? Especially when I felt better both physically and mentally. It also got me to quit snoring so wife is happy.

I think those things you've mentioned PLUS they don't have much, if any, preservatives or modifications in their food. Our food is loaded with them, generally.

I always say I do the keto diet but its more of a dirty keto/low carb diet. I usually stick to under 20 net carbs per day. I don't really count anymore just stick to meats, cheese, green vegetables, pecans or almonds. The problem I have with keto is like the OP said it has to be a lifestyle change or I will gain weight back pretty quickly going back to old habits. I don't think their is anything wrong with a cheat meal every once in a while but it can quickly turn into a cheat week/month.

I always say I do the keto diet but its more of a dirty keto/low carb diet. I usually stick to under 20 net carbs per day. I don't really count anymore just stick to meats, cheese, green vegetables, pecans or almonds. The problem I have with keto is like the OP said it has to be a lifestyle change or I will gain weight back pretty quickly going back to old habits. I don't think their is anything wrong with a cheat meal every once in a while but it can quickly turn into a cheat week/month.
I eat what I want on the weekends. I am 190lbs and not overweight. I don't work out anymore as my work schedule and age have caught up with me. I just don't have the energy.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT