ADVERTISEMENT

Fan Support

I go because my buddy and I have gone to games since '99. Our lives have changed over that time obviously to families, careers, etc. This is really all that we have time for as far as hanging out goes, and our wives get it. I used to get mad about the cost, but that's not really the thing. It's that you lose a half day that you could be doing other things when you go down to Lincoln. I will keep going to games with my best friend until his daughters want to attend games with him. Until then, I just focus on spending time with my friend. The game itself, regardless the outcome, isn't really meaningful to me anymore, and that is really unfortunate. Its really like going to the bar with your buddies even if one of you doesn't drink anymore. The bar itself is tired and irrelevant. It has no meaning in your current life. You go because its an opportunity to get quality time in with people you value.

not that anyone enjoys hearing about it, but Nebraska fans are baseline Conservative (nothin wrong with that) but also antiquated in refusing to pay for athletes. We just don't have the talent, and we're not gonna be good until we're willing to do what it takes as a program and fanbase to change that fact. The success of a program is now more than ever determine by their FANS.

We've have Mediocre recruiting since basically Callahan. Bo inherited the last truly talented teams we've had, IMHO. Top 25 teams generally have Top 25 recruiting classes. If we had the talent and were losing like this over and over again, I'd be pissed. I'm not. This is what our team Should look like. If we were 8-3 we'd have been playing far above our talent level.
Our current recruiting class is 26. Last years was 25. 2021 was 18. 2020 was 17. 2019 was 15. 2018 was 21. 2017 was 20. 2016 was 24. 2013 was 17. 2012 was 25, 2011 was 15. 2010 was 22.

Doesn't seem to me that we're lacking in top 25 recruiting classes.

Reactions: cavalot
Bandwagon fans? Seriously? When have we been even the least bit relevant? When were we dominant? You think people who have supported the Nebraska Cornhuskers for 40+ 50+ 60+ years are F'ing "band wagon" fans? Are you high, or stupid? Both?
Jesus H man, some of you would get bitch slapped for saying this shit in person. Those old people you so badly want to banish to the past are the ones that helped build our tradition. F you for crapping on them.

A lot of whining on this board today. I think that we are actually on the upswing for once. Apart from Sims who seems to be a head case, they’ve got two quarterbacks ready to play, four running backs ready to play, five or six wide receivers ready to play, and probably Six Or seven offensive lineman ready to play. Not to mention the entire defense. When was the last time you could say that about the coaching staff? So apart from Tony potentially leaving, I’m pretty optimistic for the future

I’m more worried about Rhule’s support in the locker room going forward. I have to admit they play much more physical than years prior, but as a player how do you continue to work this hard and not think” why are we not winning?”

Will see about Friday, if they can score twenty points or more then I think they win.
I suppose as a player they could turn on the film and watch the mind numbing number of times they turn the ball over. Or maybe watch how many times they fail to make a play on the qb in the open field. Or how about dropping a game sealing interception.

The players have just as much to do with the current state of the team as the coaches.

Last edited:
All the losing is causing me to not only lose interest in Nebraska but college football. I always used to enjoy a Saturday of college football, especially watching the teams we were in contention with now. What difference does it make? I’ll probably watch the Michigan Ohio State game the Big Ten championship and the playoffs but just not the interest level it used to be.

If the coach isn’t even going to bother trying to win the game, then why should I bother being invested?
^^^This^^^ Rhule has made some dumb ass decisions this year (like having Kemp in on punts against Michigan State) or thinking Sims was a QB, but he finally lost me yesterday with his chicken shit decision to go for the tie instead of the win.

Seriously, these games are no fun anymore and following this program now feels more like a loyalty test rather than something fun. I had hope because I had faith in Rhule. I no longer do.

I was at a funeral a year ago for a lifelong Husker fan. An old friend who went to U Dub was there. He was a starter in football and basketball at a large high school in the Seattle area. So he knows sports. He's not some nerd who doesn't know what he is talking about. He said to us Husker fans at the funeral, "You Husker fans, I've got to give you credit. You keep filling the stadium and watching the games no matter how bad your team is". I've seen the decline in interest in Husker fans amongst my friends. One of my best friend's, who lives in Lincoln, always welcomes me to stay at his home, but never wants to go to the games. Another friend of mine who like me lives outside Nebraska is a born and bred Nebraskan. His family always had Husker season tickets. He likes sports. I went to the Colorado game this September with him and some other friends. He rarely watches them. He is always telling me how I am wasting my time watching the Huskers. Most of the games this season have been not been fun to watch. It is hard to be a Husker football fan.
Yeah, that’s pretty universal now, I think. It’s really too bad but enough is enough. Personally, I think Trev had a chance to stem the tide with the Rhule hire, but after watching games this year, I’m not confident that he will.

Our current recruiting class is 26. Last years was 25. 2021 was 18. 2020 was 17. 2019 was 15. 2018 was 21. 2017 was 20. 2016 was 24. 2013 was 17. 2012 was 25, 2011 was 15. 2010 was 22.

Doesn't seem to me that we're lacking in top 25 recruiting classes.
We’re lacking in seniors and juniors on this team who look like top 25 recruits…. Most of the senior class is gone and not doing much anywhere else.

Reactions: ATX Husker
A lot of whining on this board today. I think that we are actually on the upswing for once. Apart from Sims who seems to be a head case, they’ve got two quarterbacks ready to play, four running backs ready to play, five or six wide receivers ready to play, and probably Six Or seven offensive lineman ready to play. Not to mention the entire defense. When was the last time you could say that about the coaching staff? So apart from Tony potentially leaving, I’m pretty optimistic for the future

Ready to play who? Teams in a division worse than the worst division in P5 football?

Big difference between ready to play and ready to win. Try it again with ready to win. Against tougher competition than what we saw this year.

You sound like just filling out a roster is the goal here. Respect your optimism but man, I need your glasses...or whatever you're drinking...or something.

Reactions: GBR_Atlanta
I go because my buddy and I have gone to games since '99. Our lives have changed over that time obviously to families, careers, etc. This is really all that we have time for as far as hanging out goes, and our wives get it. I used to get mad about the cost, but that's not really the thing. It's that you lose a half day that you could be doing other things when you go down to Lincoln. I will keep going to games with my best friend until his daughters want to attend games with him. Until then, I just focus on spending time with my friend. The game itself, regardless the outcome, isn't really meaningful to me anymore, and that is really unfortunate. Its really like going to the bar with your buddies even if one of you doesn't drink anymore. The bar itself is tired and irrelevant. It has no meaning in your current life. You go because its an opportunity to get quality time in with people you value.
Love this!

The game is the magnet that pulls us down to Lincoln. 2-3 times a year. The excitement leading up to going, meeting in the morning at one of our houses and tossing back a cold one before we hit the road.

Then of course a road beer on the way to Lincoln, parking and picking which bar we want to hit up first. The Old Pub, The Rail, Sandy's...it really doesn't matter, it is all the same, it is all about the fun, talking, catching up, feeling like we are in our 20's again.

It is basically 10 hours of a good time. I personally don't get as into the games as the super-fans do, where they don't drink, they have headphones on to listen to the radio guys and are so focused on the game and not the fun, the atmosphere, the pageantry.

Watching Lincoln wake up on game day is amazing. The first bar we will hit up might have 10 people inside, but by 10am, it is packed. So much red, everyone excited for the game. You get 7 of those each year and then it is gone. So I try to enjoy it as much as I can.

Love this!

The game is the magnet that pulls us down to Lincoln. 2-3 times a year. The excitement leading up to going, meeting in the morning at one of our houses and tossing back a cold one before we hit the road.

Then of course a road beer on the way to Lincoln, parking and picking which bar we want to hit up first. The Old Pub, The Rail, Sandy's...it really doesn't matter, it is all the same, it is all about the fun, talking, catching up, feeling like we are in our 20's again.

It is basically 10 hours of a good time. I personally don't get as into the games as the super-fans do, where they don't drink, they have headphones on to listen to the radio guys and are so focused on the game and not the fun, the atmosphere, the pageantry.

Watching Lincoln wake up on game day is amazing. The first bar we will hit up might have 10 people inside, but by 10am, it is packed. So much red, everyone excited for the game. You get 7 of those each year and then it is gone. So I try to enjoy it as much as I can.

That's a lot of words just to say, "If you drink enough, it can be pretty fun"

We’re lacking in seniors and juniors on this team who look like top 25 recruits…. Most of the senior class is gone and not doing much anywhere else.
For all intents and purposes (without the COVID stuff) our players who are Seniors or would be Seniors are:

R. Johnson (hurt)
Benhart (5th year)
Nouili (6th year)
Piper (hurt)
Scott (5th year)
Washington (hurt)
Kemp (6th year)
IGC (hurt)
Sims (5th year)
Robinson (5th year)
Reimer (6th year)
Henrich (5th year)
Newsome (5th year)

Looks like a decent group, and a good number of them have played very well this season. We're probably 7-3 if we don't have all of the injuries.

For all intents and purposes (without the COVID stuff) our players who are Seniors or would be Seniors are:

R. Johnson (hurt)
Benhart (5th year)
Nouili (6th year)
Piper (hurt)
Scott (5th year)
Washington (hurt)
Kemp (6th year)
IGC (hurt)
Sims (5th year)
Robinson (5th year)
Reimer (6th year)
Henrich (5th year)
Newsome (5th year)

Looks like a decent group, and a good number of them have played very well this season. We're probably 7-3 if we don't have all of the injuries.

Do we get to not have all the injuries, but our opponents still have to have theirs?

R. Johnson (hurt)
Benhart (5th year)
Nouili (6th year)
Piper (hurt)
Scott (5th year)
Washington (hurt)
Kemp (6th year)
IGC (hurt)
Sims (5th year)
Robinson (5th year)
Reimer (6th year)
Henrich (5th year)
Newsome (5th year)

Not a very good group imo.

Robinson for sure NFL draft pick the way he's playing.

Newsome, maybe NFL? Others may have more informed thoughts on him.

Reimer, fringe chance
Rahmir, maybe fringe chance but injury history hurts that big time.

Reactions: king_kong_

R. Johnson (hurt)
Benhart (5th year)
Nouili (6th year)
Piper (hurt)
Scott (5th year)
Washington (hurt)
Kemp (6th year)
IGC (hurt)
Sims (5th year)
Robinson (5th year)
Reimer (6th year)
Henrich (5th year)
Newsome (5th year)

Nouilli wasn’t a Frost high school recruit and he’s not a great P5 guard. I know he gets a lot of love but…. Scott not a Frost recruit as well as Kemp. That’s not a very good hit rate for those couple of Frost high school classes.

Nouilli wasn’t a Frost high school recruit and he’s not a great P5 guard. I know he gets a lot of love but…. Scott not a Frost recruit as well as Kemp. That’s not a very good hit rate for those couple of Frost high school classes.
This isn't about Frost and his recruits. It's about the seniors or should be seniors on the team now, no matter where they came from.

Not a very good group imo.

Robinson for sure NFL draft pick the way he's playing.

Newsome, maybe NFL? Others may have more informed thoughts on him.

Reimer, fringe chance
Rahmir, maybe fringe chance but injury history hurts that big time.
Nash will be a good interior NFL guy. Perfect body for the league.

Do we get to not have all the injuries, but our opponents still have to have theirs?
No, but we have had an inordinate number of injuries. It's hard to play offense when you have no veteran players at RB, WR, and QB.

Reactions: keilwitzg
I'm sorry people but I've never read more whining in one thread than this one.

I also wonder why the coach (es) called plays the way they did at the end of the game but that doesn't mean I'm right and they are wrong or that they didn't want to win. It means simply that we had different approaches. They may also know things that we didn't know.

You guys are showing that you are out of touch when you say:
  • The coaches don't want to win
  • The coaches don't know how to win
  • They are losing the players
  • They are losing the fans

I'm 64 years old and have paid attention to Nebraska football since the 1971 LSU game to win the first national championship. My NU football fandom started with the glory years. The past 20 years have been a hugely frustrating pain in the butt, and I sometimes quit watching because I can't stand the deplorable play, but to give up on Rhule or to believe he's lost the majority of fans or players is idiotic.

Reactions: nostromo78
reminded me of a truly great dark comedy movie, nebraska. btw, y'all are overreacting. hcmr will get it fixed. he's actually ahead of schedule based on temple and baylor.

Nebraska-large-1024x585.jpg
We aren’t overreacting. The stadium is getting more and more empty. We don’t have time for Old Man Small Dick Energy Matt Rhule’s build. The younger generation doesn’t care. They don’t have patients and I can’t blame them. An 18 year old has to think back of being 11 years old the last time we even went to a bowl game and they can’t even remember us finishing the season ranked. We are out of time. Stadium will be empty next year. College football should be about high energy. We are turning in to the oldest fan base in football and that’s not good. And that’s on Trev hiring a dude who F’d around and found out

We aren’t overreacting. The stadium is getting more and more empty. We don’t have time for Old Man Small Dick Energy Matt Rhule’s build. The younger generation doesn’t care. They don’t have patients and I can’t blame them. An 18 year old has to think back of being 11 years old the last time we even went to a bowl game and they can’t even remember us finishing the season ranked. We are out of time. Stadium will be empty next year. And that’s on Trev hiring a dude who F’d around and found out
who should he have hired that would have done better than rhule?

We aren’t overreacting. The stadium is getting more and more empty. We don’t have time for Old Man Small Dick Energy Matt Rhule’s build. The younger generation doesn’t care. They don’t have patients and I can’t blame them. An 18 year old has to think back of being 11 years old the last time we even went to a bowl game and they can’t even remember us finishing the season ranked. We are out of time. Stadium will be empty next year. College football should be about high energy. We are turning in to the oldest fan base in football and that’s not good. And that’s on Trev hiring a dude who F’d around and found out
Insults (Old Man Small Dick Energy) aren't a sign of intelligence, as you seem to think.

who should he have hired that would have done better than rhule?
I’d probably start with a guy with a total over all winning record. Also look for one with a winning season during this decade. Also one that’s won a college football game against an opponent with a pulse. Not one that’s best win is against #19 Navy. I’d start there…. But if you want a name, Klieman would be on my short list

Insults (Old Man Small Dick Energy) aren't a sign of intelligence, as you seem to think.
You kind of just told me you’re old if you don’t understand BDE and SDE phrase… sorry if the Old Man SDE hit a little too home for you… you should block me

If the coach isn’t even going to bother trying to win the game, then why should I bother being invested?
Rhule struck me as being completely checked out during the press conference. Saying the same things from the same script. "Yeah, hopefully we can get to a bowl game for these guys. If not, it was fun, I don't know lol."

I was on record earlier this year saying Rhule was not the one, after the 0-2 start and the Sims mess. But then he had an undefeated October, and fans started warming up to him. Even then, I said he wouldn't win me over unless he got to bowl eligibility. And I mean winning at least six games, not backdooring his way into a bowl game at 5 - 7 the way Mike Riley did. That's chickenshit.

So, I still stand by what I said about him not being the one until he proves me wrong. And I really hope he does.

With one of the softest schedules in recent memory, NU still has a losing record.

• Haha
Reactions: WHCSC
Rhule struck me as being completely checked out during the press conference. Saying the same things from the same script. "Yeah, hopefully we can get to a bowl game for these guys. If not, it was fun, I don't know lol."

I was on record earlier this year saying Rhule was not the one, after the 0-2 start and the Sims mess. But then he had an undefeated October, and fans started warming up to him. Even then, I said he wouldn't win me over unless he got to bowl eligibility. And I mean winning at least six games, not backdooring his way into a bowl game at 5 - 7 the way Mike Riley did. That's chickenshit.

So, I still stand by what I said about him not being the one until he proves me wrong. And I really hope he does.

With one of the softest schedules in recent memory, NU still has a losing record.
Considering that Rhule's first years at the other two college stops won only 1 or 2 games and our best record in the last three years was 4-8, I don't understand how this record is a disappointment. Obviously, it's not within a country mile of where we want to be but it's better than any of the past three years. I think that good progress was made for "year one", especially when you consider all of the injuries that we've had. I'm disappointed at this point because I can't help but think "what could have been if we'd have had a marginal QB", but if you'd have told me before the start of the season that we'd end up at 5-7, I'd have been pretty happy. While occasionally a coach dramatically improves a team in year one, the norm is that year one is worse than the previous year. After the past 20 years of crap, I'm happy with what I've seen this year.

The fact that we see the Callahan and Pelini years as "the good ol' days" just shows how far we've sunk since then because compared to the worst Osborne year, the best Pelini year was pretty average.

You kind of just told me you’re old if you don’t understand BDE and SDE phrase… sorry if the Old Man SDE hit a little too home for you… you should block me
Being young isn't quite the "bees knees" as you think it is either. Maybe you should block me.

Nash will be a good interior NFL guy. Perfect body for the league.
Agree. He wasn't on your list though. Also think guys like Lenhardt and Prince will etc have NFL potential. Still VERY young though.
The seniors you listed are severely lacking in NFL potential.

Agree. He wasn't on your list though. Also think guys like Lenhardt and Prince will etc have NFL potential. Still VERY young though.
The seniors you listed are severely lacking in NFL potential.
I was just looking at Seniors year and 5th year Juniors.

Benhart, Scott, and Robinson may try for the NFL. With the numbers now, we still have 15 more who need to leave. If we sign more, then more than 15 will need to leave.

Reactions: Wizouski
I'm sorry people but I've never read more whining in one thread than this one.

I also wonder why the coach (es) called plays the way they did at the end of the game but that doesn't mean I'm right and they are wrong or that they didn't want to win. It means simply that we had different approaches. They may also know things that we didn't know.

You guys are showing that you are out of touch when you say:
  • The coaches don't want to win
  • The coaches don't know how to win
  • They are losing the players
  • They are losing the fans

I'm 64 years old and have paid attention to Nebraska football since the 1971 LSU game to win the first national championship. My NU football fandom started with the glory years. The past 20 years have been a hugely frustrating pain in the butt, and I sometimes quit watching because I can't stand the deplorable play, but to give up on Rhule or to believe he's lost the majority of fans or players is idiotic.
It's funny, the same people on this board who said that we had 5-6 win talent are the ones saying that Rhule has squandered this team. These same rats will jump back on the ship if we beat Iowa.

Ready to play who? Teams in a division worse than the worst division in P5 football?

Big difference between ready to play and ready to win. Try it again with ready to win. Against tougher competition than what we saw this year.

You sound like just filling out a roster is the goal here. Respect your optimism but man, I need your glasses...or whatever you're drinking...or something.
How much tougher is next year going to be anyway? USC is better than the second best team we faced this year but who else? Colorado may be easier even-considering how Deion has lost that team. I guess if White does go we may be in trouble?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT