ADVERTISEMENT

UCF offer to Frost

headcard

Nebraska Legend
Feb 2, 2005
Just saw this tweet.

Not sure how credible this guy is, looks a little sketchy, honestly. Maybe our UCF visitors could let us know if this is legit. Frost is currently making $1.7M. This offer would triple his salary, could UCF really do that? Would more than double the salary of the next highest G5 coach (Chad Morris).

I assume he means 4.5 - 5 million per year, but he didn't say that. Could mean one million more per year for 5 years. In any case, I don't think UCF wins a bidding war with NU. But no matter what, this is nothing but good for Scott Frost.

Reactions: Wasker77
I assume he means 4.5 - 5 million per year, but he didn't say that. Could mean one million more per year for 5 years. In any case, I don't think UCF wins a bidding war with NU. But no matter what, this is nothing but good for Scott Frost.

Reactions: saluno22
No they can't. Their stadium is half full now and even if they go undefeated, no AAC team will ever get into the playoffs.
Yes they can. Your statement is wrong. Less likely? I agree. But the "opportunity" exists at both places. #nowledge

Yes they can. Your statement is wrong. Less likely? I agree. But the "opportunity" exists at both places. #nowledge
real+run-15.gif

Can they offer a full stadium and, if the coaching and recruiting are there, opportunities to win a BIG title and compete for a NC? Nope
They won a 2014 BCS game but can’t compete for a NC? But we can because we could 17 years ago?

While UCF hasn’t been around for 100+ years, it is already one of the largest universities in the country and seem like a good bet to be invited to the ACC or SEC at some point in the near future. As for their fan base, as a young university that will take time. But all of these posts bashing UCF smell of desperation.

Hopefully Frost’s NU and Nebraska roots are the major deciding factors because the UCF bashing makes no sense.

Just saw this tweet.

Not sure how credible this guy is, looks a little sketchy, honestly. Maybe our UCF visitors could let us know if this is legit. Frost is currently making $1.7M. This offer would triple his salary, could UCF really do that? Would more than double the salary of the next highest G5 coach (Chad Morris).
If this is where he wants to be then he will sign it immediately, otherwise people will know he is looking to leave.

Can they offer a full stadium and, if the coaching and recruiting are there, opportunities to win a BIG title and compete for a NC? Nope
Yep, as many have said this is going to come down to 100% money. He doesn't need money. It is going to come down to does he want to rebuild his Alma mater into a NC team. UCF is the best it is going to get right now. They can't get any better than undefeated and conference champions. They can only go down from here. I don't see Frost wanting that. I believe he wants more and more is more satisfying than returning the team you played for to greatness. UCF could throw 10 mill a year at him and I don't think he stays.

Looking at UCF's athletic budget, they make zero profit, and 40% of their athletic budget comes from student fees. So yeah, I don't see where they are going to get the money. The students don't even show up to the games, so I doubt they will be want their fees raised even more. http://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/finances/

UCF is never going to get into the ACC or SEC. Those conferences already own the media markets there, with Florida, FSU, and Miami. Adding UCF isn't going to lead to bigger TV deals, which is the only reason for a major conference to expand at this point.

They won a 2014 BCS game but can’t compete for a NC? But we can because we could 17 years ago?

While UCF hasn’t been around for 100+ years, it is already one of the largest universities in the country and seem like a good bet to be invited to the ACC or SEC at some point in the near future. As for their fan base, as a young university that will take time. But all of these posts bashing UCF smell of desperation.

Hopefully Frost’s NU and Nebraska roots are the major deciding factors because the UCF bashing makes no sense.

Lol, you are incredibly naïve.

1. UCF is a large commuter with ZERO chance of ever earning an invite into the ACC or SEC.
2. Miami,Florida, and Florida State aren't allowing another Florida school into their Power 5 Party.
3. They average roughly 30,000 per home game and barely dent their local TV ratings. They have zero cache for those leagues. Florida State and Florida already own the Orlando TV market.
4. UCF is a large University because their demographics rival The University of Phoenix with mass amounts of online, adult learners, and a Military/ Veteran student online platform using TA/ VA benefits. Their Alums quite frankly, don't give a shit.

Probably true. He's already had many chances to put the rumors he is leaving to rest, if he doesn't do it and sign this the handwriting is on the wall.
I know this most young up and coming coaches don't take none blue blood jobs to stay there forever, much less G5 jobs. I don't see the SEC/ACC taking UCF anytime soon and the Big 12 already turned them down. Conferences expand to bring in new viewers, they do not typically expand in there own backyards. UCF has a better chance of going independent and scheduling the big boys everyweek if they want to make the playoffs anytime soon, imo.

I think the point he is making is that UCF, even as an undefeated AAC champ, will not get into the CFP semi-finals. Without getting into those 2 games, they have no chance of winning a national title. If Nebraska wins the Big Ten, it will more than likely play in the CFP semi-finals, thus have a legitimate shot at the title.

The next round of expansion is not going to take place until after the current media deals are renegotiated. I believe that is 2024ish... For them to pony up the money now is one thing, but without a full stadium, my opinion is they are years away from getting an invite to a power 5 league and as long as Florida is in the SEC, it won't be the SEC.

We need to not lose the money battle. It could take 6 million a year to get frost. If we go that high might as well aim for Patterson, Petersen etc
Totally agree. If Frost wasn’t an NU grad, most people here would probably agree that he is a gamble and his coaching staff is probably an even bigger gamble. Of course I don’t think the big names like Peterson would take the job even for big bucks. This isn’t 1997.

No they can't compete for a National Championship. They were 15th in the BCS standings in 2013 and even after their Bowl Game, they still only finished 12th in the coaches poll, behind 8, 2-loss teams and a 3-loss team. This year they are one of only 4 undefeated teams and they are still only ranked $15 in the CFP rankings, behind 8, 2-loss teams.

I told y'all UCF has a new offer to him that he hasn't signed. And this didn't happen in the last 48-72 hours either.

I'm sups jelly of Frost. His wife is a smoke show and one way or the other he is going to come out very rich in the next month.

I told y'all UCF has a new offer to him that he hasn't signed. And this didn't happen in the last 48-72 hours either.

I remembered you saying that, but I didn't put two and two together. So you think the numbers in this tweet are accurate? Do you think this might have been leaked today to turn up the pressure on Frost to sign now?

All good points. Also, if UCF scheduled their non-conference opponents such that they played multiple ranked teams, especially top 5 or top 10 ranked teams, that would improve their strength of schedule and they likely would get playoff consideration. The problem this year is that their strength of schedule is quite sucky.

I think the point he is making is that UCF, even as an undefeated AAC champ, will not get into the CFP semi-finals. Without getting into those 2 games, they have no chance of winning a national title. If Nebraska wins the Big Ten, it will more than likely play in the CFP semi-finals, thus have a legitimate shot at the title.

The next round of expansion is not going to take place until after the current media deals are renegotiated. I believe that is 2024ish... For them to pony up the money now is one thing, but without a full stadium, my opinion is they are years away from getting an invite to a power 5 league and as long as Florida is in the SEC, it won't be the SEC.

Tuco, I always appreciate your takes. Good stuff. For your money, who do you think our next coach is?

Just saw this tweet.

I keep hearing UCF people saying as a reason for Frost to stay, " Frost has great recruiting in FL, he wont get those players to come to Neb"
As of right now UCF has 2 FL top 100 recruits. Those recruits are in the bottom half of that 100 (around 66th and 90th) All the good FL kids are going to FL st, FL and Miami.
It isn't like UCF is pulling in top 10 FL talent year in and year out. So I just don't understand that as a good reason for him to stay.

I am waving the 100% bullshit flag on the original tweet. Just like most everything that has come out so far "per sources".

Virtually everything that guy is putting out is 100% fan opinion like what you read up here.

While it's a no-brainer that UCF either has, or will, up their offer to Frost (as anyone would be who follows this even casually), why stop at 5 million? Just post that they're offering 38 million annually and call it a day.

This is a place that has a stadium rusting away and is passing around a boot at games to raise funds.

And they are going to compensate him at the same level that Florida, Michigan State, MSU, Penn State, Auburn, TAMU, and Texas pay their coaches? Okie dokie.

Last edited:
They won, and made it to, a 2014 BCS bowl as the conference champion of the American Athletic Conference (the Big East prior to that year), their first year in that conference, moving from Conference USA. That was also the last year for the BCS, and the only year UCF was in a conference that was part of the "upper echelon" of conferences, which used to be the "BCS conferences", ones that had an automatic bid to BCS games. With the move to the CFP, the AAC was relegated to a tier down, part of the Group of 5, and out of the top level Power 5 conferences.

I could also point out that UCF was ranked 15th in the final BCS rankings that year, meaning the only reason they made a BCS bowl was the automatic bid. Also, while the BCS rankings don't exactly correlate to the CFP rankings, 15th is nowhere close to making the playoffs, and making a BCS bowl that wasn't the national championship just meant you were in a very good bowl game, you had no chance at a national championship.

I will also point out that this year, even with an undefeated record and a win over another team ranked in the CFP, they sit at 15th, 11 spots out of a playoff spot, with only one or possibly two, games left before the final CFP ranking to determine who goes to the CFP. They would have to jump, as of right now, at least 3 undefeated Power 5 teams, and a number of other one loss Power 5 teams to get in, which is incredibly unlikely; and as long as they are in their current situation, it's probably not going to get any more likely.

So, to answer your question, the fact that UCF won a BCS game almost 4 years ago, and that Nebraska last won an NC 17 years ago; is completely irrelevant to the chances of either team possibly competing for one now. Nebraska is in a Power 5 conference, UCF is in a Group of 5 conference, it's as simple as that. None of this post was meant to bash UCF in anyway, just simply stating facts.

I keep hearing UCF people saying as a reason for Frost to stay, " Frost has great recruiting in FL, he wont get those players to come to Neb"
As of right now UCF has 2 FL top 100 recruits. Those recruits are in the bottom half of that 100 (around 66th and 90th) All the good FL kids are going to FL st, FL and Miami.
It isn't like UCF is pulling in top 10 FL talent year in and year out. So I just don't understand that as a good reason for him to stay.

That may be true today...but if they keep winning games and going to big bowls that would easily change relatively quickly. Turn it around...right now which top recruits would want to come to Nebraska to lose 5 or 6 games a year? Unless (once) we start winning again, our recruiting will improve.

Tuco, I always appreciate your takes. Good stuff. For your money, who do you think our next coach is?

Thank you grayhairedfreak. I think too many variables are still in play. I would think it would be Frost, but Chip Kelly is really holding all of the cards. If UCLA makes a push and a big time money commitment to Kelly, then Florida has to go to plan B. If Plan B is Taggart, I think Frost goes to Oregon. If Plan B is Frost, well that's pretty self explanatory. Gun to my head, right now, I say Frost, but if Kelly goes anywhere but Florida, all bets are off.

ADVERTISEMENT