ADVERTISEMENT

Trev to Texas A&M?

Could this be the whole reason Nebraska has been down the last two decades plus; too much “meddling” from the higher ups?
this is presumably the reason missouri lost its athletic director to arizona. way too much oversight/meddling from the board of regents. i find this stuff fascinating and particularly this one - the oddness of trev leaving lincoln, if indeed he does.

"top coaches don't take on projects"

Alabama was 6-7 the year before they hired Saban.
Ohio State was 6-7 the year before they hired Meyer.

top coaches take blue-blood jobs and revel in the idea of resurrecting a sleeping giant. you think like a loser that hasn't experienced greatness of your own making, which is not how these guys operate at all.
You mean the Ohio state team that was sailing under Tressel before the one year failed experiment with Luke Fickel?

GREAT example. Really, top notch. Some of your best work. Ohio State was Project U before Meyer saved them.

Reality: I just lost what little respect for a poster I had for you. I know, you don’t care, but first you post a video from 30 years ago as if it applies to today and now you call Ohio State under tressel (and 1 year with fickel) a project.

Reel in the pole and just go home now. You are really bad at this.

The consensus on Reddit and Discord (and perhaps elsewhere) is that Trev is staying. But who knows. We'll just have to wait and see.

Whatever is going on I think the timing is extraordinarily shitty. All the things happening with the athletic programs and now there's this?

Please….with that garbage.

Ohio state was 66-11 the 6 years before their 6-7 year, including a 12-1 season the year before 6-7. HUGE project for UM.

Alabama was 10-2 the year before their 6-7 year and 40-33 the 6 years prior to their 6-7 year. Obviously a heavier lift than O state but no where near the fire we had in Nebraska ….

Nebraska was 4-8 the year before Rhule came and was 22-41 the 6 years. Hopefully you can see the difference that there wasn’t near the resurrection that had to happen with those other programs.

Context matters.
he thinks he's the media

Red Sox Cannabis GIF by Jomboy Media

The consensus on Reddit and Discord (and perhaps elsewhere) is that Trev is staying. But who knows. We'll just have to wait and see.

Whatever is going on I think the timing is extraordinarily shitty. All the things happening with the athletic programs and now there's this?
No ‘bout adout it. I’m a Trev fan and see this as a big loss if he does go and then very suspect of the Regents, if in fact, that is the problem. It seemed like Nebraska sports were trending up under Trev.

Last edited:
Reactions: huskerfan66
You mean the Ohio state team that was sailing under Tressel before the one year failed experiment with Luke Fickel?

GREAT example. Really, top notch. Some of your best work. Ohio State was Project U before Meyer saved them.

Reality: I just lost what little respect for a poster I had for you. I know, you don’t care, but first you post a video from 30 years ago as if it applies to today and now you call Ohio State under tressel (and 1 year with fickel) a project.

Reel in the pole and just go home now. You are really bad at this.
i pray you are childless, no kid should be raised by a loser who announces internet respect.

you're probably too angry now to read this without the lens of emotion, but swinging for the fences on a coach like Meyer is exactly how Ohio State was able to avoid a long period of irrelevance. and yes, a legendary coach leaving can quickly spiral a program, which is probably the least controversial take a husker fan could make.

you conveniently ignored Alabama, who was 30-33 from the turn of the millenium to Saban.

Please….with that garbage.

Ohio state was 66-11 the 6 years before their 6-7 year, including a 12-1 season the year before 6-7. HUGE project for UM.

Alabama was 10-2 the year before their 6-7 year and 40-33 the 6 years prior to their 6-7 year. Obviously a heavier lift than O state but no where near the fire we had in Nebraska ….

Nebraska was 4-8 the year before Rhule came and was 22-41 the 6 years. Hopefully you can see the difference that there wasn’t near the resurrection that had to happen with those other programs.

Context matters.
poor little Nebraska, hopefully our combined sympathies can at least combine for a win against Wisconsin.

USC was 4-8 the year before they stole a guy with multiple conference championships and playoff appearances ... from another blueblood at that.

continue the pity party if it makes you happy on fall saturdays. grew out of that phase long ago, personally.

i pray you are childless, no kid should be raised by a loser who announces internet respect.

you're probably too angry now to read this without the lens of emotion, but swinging for the fences on a coach like Meyer is exactly how Ohio State was able to avoid a long period of irrelevance. and yes, a legendary coach leaving can quickly spiral a program, which is probably the least controversial take a husker fan could make.

you conveniently ignored Alabama, who was 30-33 from the turn of the millenium to Saban.
I ignored Bama because they were middle of the road. No reason to call you an idiot for proclaiming Bama a project.

Claiming Ohio State was a project was the stupidest thing I’ve read today. Now you try to spin it that because they hired Meyer they didn’t become a project.

But that’s not what you started with. Nice dance though. Very impressive.

poor little Nebraska, hopefully our combined sympathies can at least combine for a win against Wisconsin.

USC was 4-8 the year before they stole a guy with multiple conference championships and playoff appearances ... from another blueblood at that.

continue the pity party if it makes you happy on fall saturdays. grew out of that phase long ago, personally.
Good for USC. They overpaid for a guy to lead them to 7-5 or 8-4 seasons.

Also, I’ve got to give it to you for doing your homework. After Nebraska’s legendary coach, Tom Osborne, retired, Nebraska spiraled out of control under Solich really quickly. 12–1 in ‘99, finishing third nationally, and playing for the national championship in 2001 really hammer home how quickly a program can spiral out of control… Like even just one year later. Well done, idiot.

Season 1 Lol GIF by NBC

Also, I’ve got to give it to you for doing your homework. After Nebraska’s legendary coach, Tom Osborne, retired, Nebraska spiraled out of control under Solich really quickly. 12–1 in ‘99, finishing third nationally, and playing for the national championship in 2001 really hammer home how quickly a program can spiral out of control… Like even just one year later. Well done, idiot.
2001 was the beginning of the end for Nebraska football. Two embarrassing blowout losses in a row to finish off the season.

Reactions: thall__
I ignored Bama because they were middle of the road. No reason to call you an idiot for proclaiming Bama a project.

Claiming Ohio State was a project was the stupidest thing I’ve read today. Now you try to spin it that because they hired Meyer they didn’t become a project.

But that’s not what you started with. Nice dance though. Very impressive.
what a yapper. liked my post so much you had to come back twice 🤣

yes, Ohio State going on another legendary run after a scandal that put them on sanctions for multiple years is the successful completion of a project and 100% consistent with what I've said.

you're comparing leaves while denying the tree is made of wood. get ahold of yourself

2001 was the beginning of the end for Nebraska football. Two embarrassing blowout losses in a row to finish off the season.
Exactly. 2001 was the beginning of the end. Our buddy Thall would have you believe it was 1998, if you believe the comparison to Fickel at Ohio State going 6-7 one year after 12-1.

My point is things didn’t derail after 1 year. Thall believes they did or he never would have referenced Ohio state. It’s idiotic.

Reactions: Huskers123456
what a yapper. liked my post so much you had to come back twice 🤣

yes, Ohio State going on another legendary run after a scandal that put them on sanctions for multiple years is the successful completion of a project and 100% consistent with what I've said.

you're comparing leaves while denying the tree is made of wood. get ahold of yourself
Please explain how Ohio state was a project after Fickel. Meyer came in with those same players and went undefeated.

Great coach, to be sure, but the university still had an embarrassment of riches, sanctions or not.

This was not the project you think it was.

Reactions: Huskers123456
Congratulations, you just described Nebraska, who has consistently recruited top 25 but performed well below due to bad coaching hires.

You're so close to understanding now.
Yep, I’m close… And I do see where you’re coming from to an extent. But top 25 recruiting with recruits that don’t stick around is way different than the top 10 recruiting that was happening at Ohio State. That’s the difference. Absolutely, if we would’ve hired an urban Meyer, things would be different. I’m not arguing that at all. What I am saying is Ohio State was never a project. Instead of hiring urban Meyer, they could’ve hired Frank Solich, and still not been a project for a few years.

Look no further than draft picks over the last decade. Nebraska hasn’t had many. Sure, some of it is lack of coaching. But a big part of it is lack of talent. Ohio State has always had talent.

Can you get close to seeing that?

Yep, I’m close… And I do see where you’re coming from to an extent. But top 25 recruiting with recruits that don’t stick around is way different than the top 10 recruiting that was happening at Ohio State. That’s the difference. Absolutely, if we would’ve hired an urban Meyer, things would be different. I’m not arguing that at all. What I am saying is Ohio State was never a project. Instead of hiring urban Meyer, they could’ve hired Frank Solich, and still not been a project for a few years.

Look no further than draft picks over the last decade. Nebraska hasn’t had many. Sure, some of it is lack of coaching. But a big part of it is lack of talent. Ohio State has always had talent.

Can you get close to seeing that?
Yes, Urban Meyer was an incredible collector of talent. Ohio State recognized that and swung for the fences instead of playing this "muh character & morals" card.

This is still completely consistent with my assertion that Nebraska should swing for the fences towards A+ instead of settling for B-

Yes, Urban Meyer was an incredible collector of talent. Ohio State recognized that and swung for the fences instead of playing this "muh character & morals" card.

This is still completely consistent with my assertion that Nebraska should swing for the fences towards A+ instead of settling for B-
No one will disagree that in hiring Riley we shorted ourselves and didn’t push our chips in on a big time coach and that would have been the best time to do it. With that said, the program is in state where a top 5 coach would not take it over.

We have Rhule who has a process and we will see in year 2 if there is progress. All signs point to “yes” and hopefully Rhule will be nationally considered a top 5 coach when he has competing in the playoffs in year 3:).

Yes we should seek A+ coaching hires. In fact, not that long ago, it looked as though we had landed an A+ coach. His name was Scott Frost. Look at how that turned out, he went from an A+ to a D-.

Reactions: timnsun
I'll go back to Trev came from UNO. Not some large Power 5 with a lot of experience. When he came, half of the fan base was pissed because of his time at UNO and half of the fan base loved him, not because of his AD traits, but because he was a Husker great. He did good things at NU, but its not like he is irreplaceable. There are plenty of people that can do his job and can probably do it better. We shouldn't act like the sky is falling. Get a good AD that the coaches like and go from there. There are plenty of good AD's that will come to Nebraska, especially because their pay is going to be a big step up.

I'll go back to Trev came from UNO. Not some large Power 5 with a lot of experience. When he came, half of the fan base was pissed because of his time at UNO and half of the fan base loved him, not because of his AD traits, but because he was a Husker great. He did good things at NU, but its not like he is irreplaceable. There are plenty of people that can do his job and can probably do it better. We shouldn't act like the sky is falling. Get a good AD that the coaches like and go from there. There are plenty of good AD's that will come to Nebraska, especially because their pay is going to be a big step up.
Who’s the AD at UNO now?

Reactions: leodisflowers
"top coaches don't take on projects"

Alabama was 6-7 the year before they hired Saban.
Ohio State was 6-7 the year before they hired Meyer.

top coaches take blue-blood jobs and revel in the idea of resurrecting a sleeping giant. you think like a loser that hasn't experienced greatness of your own making, which is not how these guys operate at all.
Going back to where it all began, @thall__

The singular issue I took issue with was in this post. “Top coaches don’t take on projects.”

And then, to prove that they do, you listed Urban Meyer and OSU. Again, OSU was not a project. That was my point.

They could have easily become a project if they had gone down the hiring path of Nebraska, but they didn’t. The swing for the fences and hit a homerun.

But they weren’t a project like you claim they were.

And you won’t admit that, which is sad.

Reactions: RedMyMind
Going back to where it all began, @thall__

The singular issue I took issue with was in this post. “Top coaches don’t take on projects.”

And then, to prove that they do, you listed Urban Meyer and OSU. Again, OSU was not a project. That was my point.

They could have easily become a project if they had gone down the hiring path of Nebraska, but they didn’t. The swing for the fences and hit a homerun.

But they weren’t a project like you claim they were.

And you won’t admit that, which is sad.
you have a naive view on what makes a successful college football team.

there's a myth that all rebuilds are a multiple year process. Nebraska is not Kansas who needs multiple years of losing records, selling boosters, and moral victories so they can finally convince 3* players to come.

the right leadership and a few players can turn a losing team into a perennial contender, look no further than Washington & USC.

for the 3rd or 4th time, taking a 6-7 team to their first undefeated season in a decade, like Meyer did, is the successful completion of a project. organizational success and failure is not linear, it can happen in an instant.

Agreed. The thing that sucks is what feels like the constant lack of stability and leadership.

you have a naive view on what makes a successful college football team.

there's a myth that all rebuilds are a multiple year process. Nebraska is not Kansas who needs multiple years of losing records, selling boosters, and moral victories so they can finally convince 3* players to come.

the right leadership and a few players can turn a losing team into a perennial contender, look no further than Washington & USC.

for the 3rd or 4th time, taking a 6-7 team to their first undefeated season in a decade, like Meyer did, is the successful completion of a project. organizational success and failure is not linear, it can happen in an instant.
So you stand by your post that Ohio State before urban Meyer was a project. Got it. That’s why I called you an idiot.

So you stand by your post that Ohio State before urban Meyer was a project. Got it. That’s why I called you an idiot.
your contention is that unless you're kansas or vanderbilt, you can't be a project and that 6-7 to 12-0 is just normal state of affairs for teams on a legendary run.

i can show you the information, but i can't learn it for you as well.

your contention is that unless you're kansas or vanderbilt, you can't be a project and that 6-7 to 12-0 is just normal state of affairs for teams on a legendary run.

i can show you the information, but i can't learn it for you as well.
My contention is that the year before 6-7 was 12-1, and the talent was still top shelf. I get it, not just anyone would have taken OSU to an undefeated season like Meyer did, but that doesn’t mean they were a project before he took the job.

That, to me, is not a project. I guess we agree to disagree because I’m not gonna see it your way and you’re not gonna see it my way.

My contention is that the year before 6-7 was 12-1, and the talent was still top shelf. I get it, not just anyone would have taken OSU to an undefeated season like Meyer did, but that doesn’t mean they were a project before he took the job.

That, to me, is not a project. I guess we agree to disagree because I’m not gonna see it your way and you’re not gonna see it my way.
I would say that for the past 20+ years, Ohio State is the most obvious team of not ever being a project in that time period. Oklahoma and Oregon may be the next 2 with their continued success.

You're splitting hairs to try and make the point that a blue blood with tons of resources is unable to land a top coach.

"I'm not going to take that historic job because winning might not be a total cakewalk from day 1" is how 0 elite coaches think.

Whether or not you agree, there is no reason Nebraska shouldn't be aiming to get the best and pay them accordingly.

The article says he is ‘expected to take the job.’

I know A&M is a bigger athletic budget program, but that seems wild to leave, right?
He’s such a football AD, call it what it is. He knows he can’t win at Neb the way he can elsewhere. Can’t blame him. Dude loves football and knows Neb is never getting back to how he knew it and probably won’t ever compete for confidence titles let alone NC.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT