ADVERTISEMENT

Trev puts Nebrasketball on blast (Omaha.com)

dead Fred should spend every minute he's not "coaching" locked in stocks in the middle of the quad

• Haha
Reactions: bigboxes
Fred landed the best recruiting class in Nebraska Basketball history during Covid.

that has absolutely nothing to do with it.

he's soft. end of story.
Hard to argue with your post. The problem has been getting them to play like a team and buy in to consistent effort. I still think a lot of it goes back to chemistry. I may be all wet, but I still think the appearance is that the these players don't play well together. I'll quit naming names because I could be all wrong about who I think the problem is. In a perfect world IMO, Trey would have been the team leader. That guy brings it on defense. Who knows how much his absence and then all of those close losses damaged this team's psyche? Verge does not seem like a guy this team wants to follow.

IMO, take FWIW, this season is has been about some really bad chemistry. Yeah I don't think Fred and Doc have done a great job, but I think there's an obvious rift between Verge and some of his teammates. I think Fred needs a new point guard, the new big coming in, and then somehow talk Trey and Bryce in to coming back. I don't think we can win with Verge as our starting point guard. JMHO. I'm fine with another year for Fred but if we see the same thing next year he would have to go. I've waited since Danny Nee for a really good team. I can wait another year.
I would love to see what Bryce can do for us next year, but Im not holding my breath for him to stay. I really like Fred and its just been really hard for me to hate on him, but man, if we could just forget this season and move on to next year that would be nice. I was so excited after we put up like 100 that first game. damn

they do or they leave.
Interestingly, Teddy Allen's brother (Timmy) torched the Jayhawks last night with his mid-range shooting. He looked like a MUCH better player and team member than Teddy ever did. Beard had them playing well last night and they won a tight game at the end (unfortunately).

I would love to see what Bryce can do for us next year, but Im not holding my breath for him to stay. I really like Fred and its just been really hard for me to hate on him, but man, if we could just forget this season and move on to next year that would be nice. I was so excited after we put up like 100 that first game. damn
Yeah but more than likely the top 6 guys are going to be gone. Aren't they?

It can't be fun to lose. Never was for me anyway. If they have a great shot at making $$ and there's no confidence in this ship turning around, why would they stay. Sucks for recruiting. Young superstars leave early all the time. But there's generally another one on the way. Here?‽?

Reading the article from the fans radio call in show it sounds like he has some pieces coming in and I would expect TA to reconstruct the contract and give him more time and bad as this season has unfolded..

I do like the players in this recruiting class coming in, but it seems like I felt the same way the last 3 years. McGowens, Wilcher, Edwards, Tominaga were all hyped as great outside shooters that were going to come in this year and be difference-makers. Breidenbach was also highly-rated, and Verge hyped as well.

It's hard to imagine the freshmen coming in next year are going to be good enough to turn this thing around right away, when we can't even win a Big Ten game this year with a 5-star future lottery pick. It's going to be a completely new team again, and we'll likely be making the same excuses a year from now.

I predict a negotiated down buyout with a "resignation" versus a firing. IF Fred won't reduce the buyout I could see Trev letting him simmer in the soup for another year.
Why would any coach agree to a reduced buyout if he’s going to leave right away?

Has any power 5 school ever went the entire football season and basketball season and only won a single game against another major conference school?

maybe one of the academic elite schools like NW had zero wins?

we may be witness to one of, if not the worst combined football and basketball seasons in the history of modern collegiate sports
I have to agree with you. I can't ever recall another school having a worse combined football/basketball season.

Someone needs to make a meme-Frost: "Try and have a worse season than the football team!"
Hoiberg: "Hold my beer!"

The money quotes...

Athletic Director Trev Alberts acknowledged some are staying away because of COVID-19 fears or frustration with mask mandates and that some of the tipoff times have not been conducive to big crowds.

“But it certainly is the play on the court that is the overriding factor in terms of fan interest and attendance,” Alberts said in an interview. “That’s pretty obvious, I think.”

“You don't have to win every game. You really don’t,” Alberts said. “But you better have a team that competes every night, you better have a team that’s fundamentally sound, you have to have a team that plays together, that will never ever quit, does things the right way and represents the values and ideals of Nebraska and our alumni.

“There have been stretches of this season where our play hasn’t necessarily reflected those very important cultural ideals that Nebraskans hold near and dear. You can see the reaction of our fan base to our programs that exemplify those things and those that don’t, and there’s a pretty stark contrast in terms of fan and donor interest," he said.

Trev addresses Nebrasketball attendance
I think Trev should give Fred more time and support just like he gave other coaches. With enough support and praise Fred will turn the ship around, he just needs more time.

I think Trev should give Fred more time and support just like he gave other coaches. With enough support and praise Fred will turn the ship around, he just needs more time.
As a couple others have said, and you As well, I too think Hoiberg will get atleast one more year like frost....not saying they're only getting one year. But that seems to be his MO. Came in here unexpectedly and gonna observe, tweak and nudge, if that doesn't work then....

That part we don't know because he hasn't had to make that decision with a major sport yet.

Another year I guess unless Hoiberg has had enough but I don't think he'll do that but erstad did.

As a couple others have said, and you As well, I too think Hoiberg will get atleast one more year like frost....not saying they're only getting one year. But that seems to be his MO. Came in here unexpectedly and gonna observe, tweak and nudge, if that doesn't work then....

That part we don't know because he hasn't had to make that decision with a major sport yet.

Another year I guess unless Hoiberg has had enough but I don't think he'll do that but erstad did.
The biggest obstacle i see if Fred leave’s there goes the best recruiting class Nebraska has had in years so the next coach is starting from ground zero. But I can’t figure out why a true point guard isn’t at the top of his list? I was listening last night to his show and he mentioned a number of incoming players but no point guard. Verg remInds me of a chicken with its head cut off running around all over the place doesn’t seem like a team player

Reactions: huskerfan66
The biggest obstacle i see if Fred leave’s there goes the best recruiting class Nebraska has had in years so the next coach is starting from ground zero. But I can’t figure out why a true point guard isn’t at the top of his list? I was listening last night to his show and he mentioned a number of incoming players but no point guard. Verg remInds me of a chicken with its head cut off running around all over the place doesn’t seem like a team player
Man I remember those days. Chicken butcher day 😋

Reactions: Baxter48
The money quotes...

Athletic Director Trev Alberts acknowledged some are staying away because of COVID-19 fears or frustration with mask mandates and that some of the tipoff times have not been conducive to big crowds.

“But it certainly is the play on the court that is the overriding factor in terms of fan interest and attendance,” Alberts said in an interview. “That’s pretty obvious, I think.”

“You don't have to win every game. You really don’t,” Alberts said. “But you better have a team that competes every night, you better have a team that’s fundamentally sound, you have to have a team that plays together, that will never ever quit, does things the right way and represents the values and ideals of Nebraska and our alumni.

“There have been stretches of this season where our play hasn’t necessarily reflected those very important cultural ideals that Nebraskans hold near and dear. You can see the reaction of our fan base to our programs that exemplify those things and those that don’t, and there’s a pretty stark contrast in terms of fan and donor interest," he said.

Trev addresses Nebrasketball attendance
I'm a season ticket holder and he ain't wrong. Still going, but getting less motivated to make the drive from Omaha ....

IMO, take FWIW, this season is has been about some really bad chemistry. Yeah I don't think Fred and Doc have done a great job, but I think there's an obvious rift between Verge and some of his teammates. I think Fred needs a new point guard, the new big coming in, and then somehow talk Trey and Bryce in to coming back. I don't think we can win with Verge as our starting point guard. JMHO. I'm fine with another year for Fred but if we see the same thing next year he would have to go. I've waited since Danny Nee for a really good team. I can wait another year.
Pretty on the money imo, I put the chances of Bryce coming back somewhere between slim and none though.

I'm a season ticket holder and he ain't wrong. Still going, but getting less motivated to make the drive from Omaha ....
I too am a season ticket holder from Omaha, have been since 1983. Haven't attended a game this season and don't plan to at this point (not because of COVID). There have been enough political things thrown in the mix in Lincoln this season that I decided I want no part of it. Then when you add the complete train wreck that basketball (the actual performance on the floor) has been I have no interest in wasting my time, money, miles on the car etc.

Pretty on the money imo, I put the chances of Bryce coming back somewhere between slim and none though.
With the way he's performed I would think he would jump. Never know. He could stand a year to work on his quickness and defense but if Banton got drafted Bryce sure as hell would too. Might be a matter maybe of whether or not he thinks he could make himself a lottery pick with another year in college or if he's worried about an injury.

Reactions: Anegada1
moos had to get the okay for extensions.
I think given the job of recruiting that Fred and his staff had done there was no way anybody would have predicted this season. Then there is always the argument that you need to extend coaches to help recruiting. A school with a larger and more affluent alumni base wouldn't be fretting about the buyout right now. Hindsight is 20/20.

Reactions: WHCSC
Lloyd is a solid player, but he's not a true point guard. He's more of a combo guard like Bryce McGowens.
A point guard should be fairly easy to find via the portal and we'll have some spots if the McGowens leave.

Why would any coach agree to a reduced buyout if he’s going to leave right away?
Well Fred looks miserable and he's got a net worth over 10 million. How much money do you need? Give me 5 million and a way out with dignity and I'm going golfing in Scottsdale in the winter. I understand that we always want more no matter how much we have but sometimes the pain isn't worth the gain. I would offer Fred a way out and then if he won't take it, I would let him simmer in the stew for another year.

Well Fred looks miserable and he's got a net worth over 10 million. How much money do you need? Give me 5 million and a way out with dignity and I'm going golfing in Scottsdale in the winter. I understand that we always want more no matter how much we have but sometimes the pain isn't worth the gain. I would offer Fred a way out and then if he won't take it, I would let him simmer in the stew for another year.
He didn't seem sold on being here the day he was hired

He didn't seem sold on being here the day he was hired
fred should be public enemy #1 in the state of NE

I want to see daily videos of him getting yelled at & booed by fans during the course of his every day life

he has earned his reputation as an enabler (of bad habits, bad behavior and bad basketball)

we are way too nice to gigantic losers like fred. I hope there isn't a single person in attendance for our last however many home games. the kids and fred made this bed of absolute crap. now time to sleep in it

I hope fred is miserable. he should be!

but, he looks like he sleeps like a baby despite being the undisputed worst P5 coach in the country

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT