ADVERTISEMENT

Trev it is...

I'm wondering the same thing. Aside from ridding the football and wrestling programs at UNO, is there any other reason why Trev is an unpopular pick?
Nope. No one likes decisions like he made but making those decisions is why he is a good hire. Not that you want to kill programs but recognizing if you don't the consequences would be way worse and likely affect academics.

Congratulations Trev Alberts. By this thread you've got less than a 50% approval rating an hour after you were announced.

Alberts could be a knock it out of the ballpark hire. Yes he's coming from the summit league. He wasn't considered one other time because he didn't have experience. He went to uno, which is within the university system, to get AD experience. The regents and Ronnie Green have first hand knowledge of his strength and weaknesses.

I'm going to trust the hire and give it time. Really what option do we have. IF you're not willing to do that you're just going to be miserable

We hired an AD from the Summit League. If he was not a former player here, would he even be considered for an interview, let alone given the job?
Well of course.. That’s the reason why he was hired because of Football and making sure the new facilities will be done and not a Summit AD.. DAH!

Reading these posts is beyond interesting. Since when does the AD run the FB program or even have much direct influence on it? That's the head coaches job. The AD provides the support in all the necessary areas for the program to succeed.

A lot of AD's around the country need to be fired I guess. If the AD is directly responsible for the FB program and it fails, you must fire both the coach and AD?

Man, Nebraska fans are getting ridiculous. We need new blood and getting our Nebraska guys will begin to show we make good choices. You simply can’t turn programs around overnight and we were down below ground level when frost was hired. Let him work people. He won’t let us down but give him time to change to his guys that will buy into his way of doing things. Same with Trev Alberts he will do great things.
If Alberts is only 1/2 as bad as Frost has been, he may not be here very long.

Reactions: Agegoneby
Why do people think the AD is going to come in and magically "fix the football program". They aren't recruiting, they aren't coaching, they aren't calling plays, they aren't going to affect what happens on the field in any way. About the only thing they can do is fire the football coach.

Man, Nebraska fans are getting ridiculous. We need new blood and getting our Nebraska guys will begin to show we make good choices. You simply can’t turn programs around overnight and we were down below ground level when frost was hired. Let him work people. He won’t let us down but give him time to change to his guys that will buy into his way of doing things. Same with Trev Alberts he will do great things.
Frost HAS his guys. Put up or shut up time.

It's not the splash hire everyone wanted but can you honestly say he didn't put UNO in a better place. Scratching football to put resources into hockey and basketball was the right move for UNO.
About the time UNO was cutting programs to move “forward” with basketball and hockey, South Dakota, South Dakota State, and North Dakota State were also making the jump in basketball while moving from DII to FCS in football. Sioux Falls and North Dakota have made similar moves. Minnesota State has become a DII power in football and plays DI hockey.

None of those cities has the resources of Omaha. What has UNO done in advancing its athletic programs that hasn’t been done better by the schools I mentioned off the top of my head? The AD at Iowa Western has done a better job.

So you hire an AD who got rid of the football program at his last job? He hasn't managed a football program in how many years now? So how exactly will this guy fix the football program, from his experience in college football 30 years ago?
Frost is systematically getting rid of the football program on his own. Alberts will be there to make sure everything goes smoothly.

He knows the football program, and he was a part of it during our best stretch. That's the most important thing for me, and he does have AD experience. Although I'm not really a fan of the conservative fiscal policies of axing programs in the past, I think he'll do a fine job here.

Not sure we needed a national search firm for a guy right down the Interstate.
And it will be interesting how much more money they are going to give a guy who is coming from a non-football Summit League school who desperately wanted the NU job.

Reactions: 1NebrFan
Some of you need to relax… I don’t give a shit if we hired Ronald McDonald, just fix the football program for the love of Christ
This is how your decision tree works? It is deeply flawed. What makes you think Trev can fix the football program?

Read up on it. New facilties. Only school in the last 18 years in Nebraska to make it to an NCAA championship. That is just a starting point. He did a good job in Omaha.
I’m trying to read up on it and would like some actual data. Football and wrestling were cut for financial reasons, are financials improved? I can’t find a lot on where they were and where they are now.

Reactions: donahues17
For those seemingly unwilling to actually look into Alberts accomplishments as an AD at "that Omaha school," I'd suggest a little perspective. Here is a brief listing of Alberts major accomplishments at the University of Nebraska at Omaha...

1. Was instrumental in bringing in National Championship NCAA Hockey head coach Dean Blais to replace Mike Kemp. Diffusing a potentially difficult situation, helped ease the transition by getting Kemp to move into an Associate AD role.
2. Took the entire program D-1. Difficult decisions were made in cutting football and wrestling. The handling of this could have been better, but the transition to D-1 has clearly been in the best interests of the school in the long run.
3. Hockey has had success during his time making the NCAA tournament in 2011, 2015, and 2020 with a Frozen Four appearance in 2015. The Blais hire paid off with 2011 and 2015.
4. Rallying community support to help get Baxter Arena built which has helped raise the university profile and been an important asset to the rebuilding of the Aksarben area as a whole.
5. The basketball team has tread water with some winning seasons and some losing seasons, but they came within an eyelash of making the NCAA Tournament twice with losses in the summit league finals.
6. Hired Jason Mims to coach the brand new Men's soccer program at UNO. This culminated in multiple Summit League championships and a 2017 NCAA tournament appearance.
7. Had to make multiple womens basketball coaching changes. One under program duress and another when results weren't up to par. The women's basketball team made the Summit league finals this year in year one of the new regime.
8. Made a difficult decision in the firing of Bob Herold as baseball coach. Took a chance on unproven Evan Porter who has now won a Summit League Championship and made an NCAA Tournament appearance.
9. Got the new baseball/softball complex built, again with significant buy in from the community.
10. Hired Mike Gabinet after the semi forced retirement of Dean Blais. Gabinet has the program trending in the right direction with an NCAA tournament berth in the 2020 season.
11. With the cutting of football and wrestling, got the program Title IX compliant for the first time in its history (another factor as to why the financials wouldn't work in keeping those programs)
12. Got UNO into the premier college hockey conference when the NCHC was formed. They were on the verge of being relegated to a lesser league.
13. Got men's swimming and diving added through a community outreach program...during a pandemic.

Overall, he's done well at Omaha. The only really blemish was the initial handling of the necessary cut of football and wrestling. And, to the post above comparing UNO to SDSU and NDSU. That's beyond stupid. Those schools are the flagship institutions of their states with significant alumni buy in to basketball and football. UNO has never had that kind of alumni support. Can't get blood from a stone. Omaha was never going to support UNO football (or even basketball) on the level those other institutions do.

Last edited:
Underwhelmed with it, but I'll give him a shot. His job is easy if Frost and Hoiberg get on track. Frost has 2 years, tops to produce a winner. Volleyball is set, baseball is set. No one cares about the rest. Facilities are being built, so I guess we judge Trev on his ability to procure fat checks.

I’m trying to read up on it and would like some actual data. Football and wrestling were cut for financial reasons, are financials improved? I can’t find a lot on where they were and where they are now.

It's more complicated than raw dollars in/dollars out. The school needed to go D-1 to help raise the profile of the campus overall. Athletics are loss leaders for most mid major schools. But, they went from hemorrhaging money in football to simply being in the red as a D-1 school.

They were also never Title IX compliant in D-2. They reached compliance in the move to D-1. They also needed to offer a minimum number of sports that the Summit League actually sponsors. So, not football/wrestling. That's why soccer was added. They would have had to add multiple additional scholarships for FCS football as well along with likely facility upgrades. They would have had to be in 3 conferences minimum, possibly four. Summit League for the core sports, NCHC for hockey, and a league for both football and wrestling which would have increased administrative and travel costs.

It's just not as simple as dollars and cents. It is the totality of where was the program and where are they trying to get it to and football simply didn't fit.

Reading these posts is beyond interesting. Since when does the AD run the FB program or even have much direct influence on it? That's the head coaches job. The AD provides the support in all the necessary areas, financial, physical, personnel, for the program to succeed.

I did not realize that UNO was a municipal school. That is an entirely different animal when it comes to funding if it is anything close to what I have experienced. I am going out on a limb here but the comparisons to the bigger state institutions falls apart.

Tea leaves: Little national interest in the job, and damn near none with the stipulation to promise to retain and make excuses for Baby Scottie. Well shit...Ronnie, what do we do now?
Let's hire Trev. He'll let Scottie lose for 4 more years and maybe these alumni won't see thru the GBR bullshit and donate money for the new facility. They'll buy Trev...he's a Husker.

Just promise me that when this shitshow collapses that we will clean house of the idiots responsible for these crap decisions. It's pathetic.

It's more complicated than raw dollars in/dollars out. The school needed to go D-1 to help raise the profile of the campus overall. Athletics are loss leaders for most mid major schools. But, they went from hemorrhaging money in football to simply being in the red as a D-1 school.

They were also never Title IX compliant in D-2. They reached compliance in the move to D-1. They also needed to offer a minimum number of sports that the Summit League actually sponsors. So, not football/wrestling. That's why soccer was added. They would have had to add multiple additional scholarships for FCS football as well along with likely facility upgrades. They would have had to be in 3 conferences minimum, possibly four. Summit League for the core sports, NCHC for hockey, and a league for both football and wrestling which would have increased administrative and travel costs.

It's just not as simple as dollars and cents. It is the totality of where was the program and where are they trying to get it to and football simply didn't fit.
Where can I find numbers on before and after? If it actually improved and by how much?

I keep reading people say it’s better and all that but I haven’t seen any data to support that.

He's guessing, knowing that no one will actually take the time to verify. UNO football was a money pit, so I get that. He was openly hostile to wrestling which was sacrificed for men's gold and soccer and a net gain of 4.5 scholarships. Oy. Wrestling was self supporting and could have joined the Big 12. It was a storied program for over 30 years and didn't need to be cut.

I do not love the hire but think that there are very few hires at this point in time that I would love. It is better not to fall in love with hires and instead to take a "wait and see" approach. He does have NU ties but so did Steve Pedersen. He played for the university but so did Frost and Erstad, neither of whom set the world on fire. Right now except for Greg Byrne, I cannot say any hire would elicit huge enthusiasm until something turns around.

Tea leaves: Little national interest in the job, and damn near none with the stipulation to promise to retain and make excuses for Baby Scottie. Well shit...Ronnie, what do we do now?
Let's hire Trev. He'll let Scottie lose for 4 more years and maybe these alumni won't see thru the GBR bullshit and donate money for the new facility. They'll buy Trev...he's a Husker.

Just promise me that when this shitshow collapses that we will clean house of the idiots responsible for these crap decisions. It's pathetic.
You are pathetic. Get a life loser.

I imagine Trev will be watching many practices… he knows what practice should look like. If he sees that things are a mess, he will make changes.

More and more, I read less and less on this board. Not that I matter, but what a drag this board has become.

He's guessing, knowing that no one will actually take the time to verify. UNO football was a money pit, so I get that. He was openly hostile to wrestling which was sacrificed for men's gold and soccer and a net gain of 4.5 scholarships. Oy. Wrestling was self supporting and could have joined the Big 12. It was a storied program for over 30 years and didn't need to be cut.
I am honestly trying to figure out if he did a good job or not at UNO. People can agree or disagree with the football or wrestling moves. But I’m truly curious about the data or it. Did the financials improve? Did enrollment go up and was it related to going D1? Or was it the same growth rate as previous decades? I can’t seem to find anything other than opinions and vague ‘financials are better.’

I am honestly trying to figure out if he did a good job or not at UNO. People can agree or disagree with the football or wrestling moves. But I’m truly curious about the data or it. Did the financials improve? Did enrollment go up and was it related to going D1? Or was it the same growth rate as previous decades? I can’t seem to find anything other than opinions and vague ‘financials are better.’
Improving. But just talk of financialsis an incomplete story of his accomplishments...

An income statement provided by UNO shows that in the 2018-19 budget year, the UNO athletic department needed slightly more than $6.1 million in subsidies from the university, down from $8.7 million in 2015-16.

Alberts, UNO’s athletic director

For those seemingly unwilling to actually look into Alberts accomplishments as an AD at "that Omaha school," I'd suggest a little perspective. Here is a brief listing of Alberts major accomplishments at the University of Nebraska at Omaha...

1. Was instrumental in bringing in National Championship NCAA Hockey head coach Dean Blais to replace Mike Kemp. Diffusing a potentially difficult situation, helped ease the transition by getting Kemp to move into an Associate AD role.
2. Took the entire program D-1. Difficult decisions were made in cutting football and wrestling. The handling of this could have been better, but the transition to D-1 has clearly been in the best interests of the school in the long run.
3. Hockey has had success during his time making the NCAA tournament in 2011, 2015, and 2020 with a Frozen Four appearance in 2015. The Blais hire paid off with 2011 and 2015.
4. Rallying community support to help get Baxter Arena built which has helped raise the university profile and been an important asset to the rebuilding of the Aksarben area as a whole.
5. The basketball team has tread water with some winning seasons and some losing seasons, but they came within an eyelash of making the NCAA Tournament twice with losses in the summit league finals.
6. Hired Jason Mims to coach the brand new Men's soccer program at UNO. This culminated in multiple Summit League championships and a 2017 NCAA tournament appearance.
7. Had to make multiple womens basketball coaching changes. One under program duress and another when results weren't up to par. The women's basketball team made the Summit league finals this year in year one of the new regime.
8. Made a difficult decision in the firing of Bob Herold as baseball coach. Took a chance on unproven Evan Porter who has now won a Summit League Championship and made an NCAA Tournament appearance.
9. Got the new baseball/softball complex built, again with significant buy in from the community.
10. Hired Mike Gabinet after the semi forced retirement of Dean Blais. Gabinet has the program trending in the right direction with an NCAA tournament berth in the 2020 season.
11. With the cutting of football and wrestling, got the program Title IX compliant for the first time in its history (another factor as to why the financials wouldn't work in keeping those programs)
12. Got UNO into the premier college hockey conference when the NCHC was formed. They were on the verge of being relegated to a lesser league.
13. Got men's swimming and diving added through a community outreach program...during a pandemic.

Overall, he's done well at Omaha. The only really blemish was the initial handling of the necessary cut of football and wrestling. And, to the post above comparing UNO to SDSU and NDSU. That's beyond stupid. Those schools are the flagship institutions of their states with significant alumni buy in to basketball and football. UNO has never had that kind of alumni support. Can't get blood from a stone. Omaha was never going to support UNO football (or even basketball) on the level those other institutions do.

I'll give him a shot, but that is all small scale. This is the Big Leagues and he was in Single or maybe Double A. Things are just different and lots more politics and dollars involved. I think he will be great at trying to get money for the new facility and I hope he succeeds at everything else, but I hate that we always seem to have a Nebraska guy lately with all hires. I'll probably be proven wrong, but my current feelings are not great about Trev. I will also say that he has been knocked down a lot, and always seems to come out better on the other side.

Reactions: saluno22
One reason wrestling was cut is the head coach was one of only 2 coaches on the athletic staff that answered "No" when asked if they were receptive to a move to D1. He was older and didnt want to move to D1.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT