ADVERTISEMENT

Trev it is...

Improving. But just talk of financialsis an incomplete story of his accomplishments...

An income statement provided by UNO shows that in the 2018-19 budget year, the UNO athletic department needed slightly more than $6.1 million in subsidies from the university, down from $8.7 million in 2015-16.

Alberts, UNO’s athletic director
I fully understand that financials only is an incomplete look. But it’s a big part of the whole deal. Especially when canceling football and wrestling was based on money. I’m curious to see if it was the right decision. Like measurably a good decision. Not emotionally based.

Reading these posts is beyond interesting. Since when does the AD run the FB program or even have much direct influence on it? That's the head coaches job. The AD provides the support in all the necessary areas, financial, physical, personnel, for the program to succeed.
You should have just pointed to Shawn Eichorst/Bob Diaco as Exhibit A of an AD stepping outside his lane and why you don't want ADs meddling in assistant coaching hires (not that Riley was destined for greatness anyway).

Reactions: headcard
One reason wrestling was cut is the head coach was one of only 2 coaches on the athletic staff that answered "No" when asked if they were receptive to a move to D1. He was older and didnt want to move to D1.
This is true. Wanted to remain a big fish in a small pond. Ive heard things got confrontational between Trev and Denney in the days after the decision as well. Any hopes of salvaging a program lost when you try to fight your boss on school grounds...

I imagine Trev will be watching many practices… he knows what practice should look like. If he sees that things are a mess, he will make changes.

More and more, I read less and less on this board. Not that I matter, but what a drag this board has become.
Let's see, 4 consecutive losing seasons, poor play, poor coaching, last place in the Big Ten in recruiting. Perhaps the product is to blame for the drag the board has become.

For what it is worth, I like the Alberts hire. In the press conference he appeared to be genuinely grateful for the opportunity. He was very articulate and organized. He didn't sound like he was fresh off the wagon. He outlined his vision with detail. Didn't shy away from any questions. He said he didn't know when he didn't know and didn't try to BS anyone.

The only thing he did that started to get on my nerve was when he would say ....right? after making a point during his answer. "We all want that.....right?"

Thats

Pretty big narrative shift from one article to another.
Why it was never solely about financials. That's just fodder for the masses. Sure, it was partially about money but the powers that be wanted to raise the profile of the university. Theyve been willing to lose money on a product they support for long term growth. D2 football and wrestling wasn't what they were willing to lose money on anymore. The investment in D1 facilities is all you need to look at to realize where the state power brokers wanted the program to be. The choice was never between football/wrestling and d1. It was d1 and no sports at all. Only the deluded football and wrestling alums think otherwise.

Reactions: SuperBigFan
Pretty simplistic view. He may need to make one of the toughest decisions an AD has had to make at Nebraska at the end of this football season or the season after that.
He's probably the right person to do that. I don't think he cares what the popular opinion is just do what is necessary and move forward.

This is how your decision tree works? It is deeply flawed. What makes you think Trev can fix the football program?
What’s the correct decision tree?? You and all the other people pissing and moaning seem to have it all figured out so I’m all ears. Explain to to me like I’m Michael Scott.

It's a very smart hire. It will also bring better stability to the athletic department and we will now have a real boss leading. He can focus on NIl with Klassy, clean out the leakers (it was worse prior to Moos).

The #1 job that Trev will have besides fundraising for the facilities, is getting everyone on the same mission - no personal agendas.

Reading these posts is beyond interesting. Since when does the AD run the FB program or even have much direct influence on it? That's the head coaches job. The AD provides the support in all the necessary areas for the program to succeed.

A lot of AD's around the country need to be fired I guess. If the AD is directly responsible for the FB program and it fails, you must fire both the coach and AD?

An AD doesn't run the football program but can have a pretty big impact on its success through allocating resources (more of or limiting of).

All Trev needs to do is sit down with Frost and talk about what needs to be done to get back to winning and spend the money on the resources needed to get it done.

Thats

Why it was never solely about financials. That's just fodder for the masses. Sure, it was partially about money but the powers that be wanted to raise the profile of the university. Theyve been willing to lose money on a product they support for long term growth. D2 football and wrestling wasn't what they were willing to lose money on anymore. The investment in D1 facilities is all you need to look at to realize where the state power brokers wanted the program to be. The choice was never between football/wrestling and d1. It was d1 and no sports at all. Only the deluded football and wrestling alums think otherwise.
Well that’s a nice out for him. And if that is so, did the raise the profile of the university?

I’m not trying to bag on him or say good/bad hire. I’m really trying to figure out his resume and see if his decisions were good or not.

An AD doesn't run the football program but can have a pretty big impact on its success through allocating resources (more of or limiting of).

All Trev needs to do is sit down with Frost and talk about what needs to be done to get back to winning and spend the money on the resources needed to get it done.
waiting to see what alan mcclintock & his analytics firm think of the hire

will base my judgement on that, so please notify us asap

Let's see, 4 consecutive losing seasons, poor play, poor coaching, last place in the Big Ten in recruiting. Perhaps the product is to blame for the drag the board has become.

For what it is worth, I like the Alberts hire. In the press conference he appeared to be genuinely grateful for the opportunity. He was very articulate and organized. He didn't sound like he was fresh off the wagon. He outlined his vision with detail. Didn't shy away from any questions. He said he didn't know when he didn't know and didn't try to BS anyone.

The only thing he did that started to get on my nerve was when he would say ....right? after making a point during his answer. "We all want that.....right?"
And Trev will see all of those things. Will he just look the other way?

The drag on the board is seen in every aspect now. Recruiting sucks. AD hire is a sham. Why are we taking all these walk ons?

Nothing is good enough.

After today, a certain subset of posters are gonna be miserable for the next few months, which will make this board hell as well.

The drag on the board is seen in every aspect now. Recruiting sucks. AD hire is a sham. Why are we taking all these walk ons?

Nothing is good enough.

After today, a certain subset of posters are gonna be miserable for the next few months, which will make this board hell as well.
It is the offseason with only hope that the program will turn around. It is unchartered waters for sure.

Number of players on a team is a legit concern to me for the reasons I have stated.

Winning is good enough, that isn't nothing.

Reactions: leodisflowers

Nothing is good enough.

two bits of good news, at least for me:

1. I like the hire
2. one day closer to the start of basketball/baseball season!

Reactions: timnsun
It's a very smart hire. It will also bring better stability to the athletic department and we will now have a real boss leading. He can focus on NIl with Klassy, clean out the leakers (it was worse prior to Moos).

The #1 job that Trev will have besides fundraising for the facilities, is getting everyone on the same mission - no personal agendas.
What are the personal agendas now?

It is the offseason with only hope that the program will turn around. It is unchartered waters for sure.

Number of players on a team is a legit concern to me for the reasons I have stated.

Winning is good enough, that isn't nothing.
And winning can’t happen in the off-season.

I’m not pointing the finger at you as much as some others… you have always been well-reasoned in your posts. And your posts aren’t exclusively negative. I’ve seen you on both sides. But there are posters whose only posts are complaining.

Go ahead and complain, I get it. But if that’s the only thing a poster brings to the board, why are they here?

And winning can’t happen in the off-season.

I’m not pointing the finger at you as much as some others… you have always been well-reasoned in your posts. And your posts aren’t exclusively negative. I’ve seen you on both sides. But there are posters whose only posts are complaining.

Go ahead and complain, I get it. But if that’s the only thing a poster brings to the board, why are they here?
Typically winning in the off-season on the recruiting trail. At this point, that is not happening either.
there will always be people that complain come on when there is a lack of success even people that don’t normally complain will start complaining. Then it looks like there is more complaining, because there is.

I get it, It sucks for sure. Unfortunately results on the field Is going to be the only thing that fixes that.

I support this hire 100% and for all of the reasons people have stated on here. And don't think for one second that Frost was not on the minds of those who hired Alberts. Because if Frost has another losing season where we look and play like drunken Keystone Cops again then the decision might have to be made to fire him. Pressure will build from big donors. NOBODY has four losing seasons in a row at Nebraska and survives. If they do, then shame on Nebraska for not giving a damn about its tradition anymore. And if they do decide to fire Frost, having someone with all of the same Husker bona fides as Frost do it, will surely be a huge help.

I got ask, for all of the people who hate the Trev hire, who would have you SPECIFICALLY approved they hire instead and how do you know they would be successful? Although I hate the losing, I am 100% pro NU. Things don't always work out but most of the comments I have read that are negative are coming from people who where negative about NU all the time already unless they are winning big time. It's kind of like the clown English fans who would have been partying for the rest of the year celebrating a Euro Cup trophy but when they lose, they instead go to the race card becoming the miserable human beings they are. I hope none of you who are constantly and instantly negative about NU celebrate when the Huskers finally do start winning big in any sport. What a bunch of miserable haters on this Board. Embarrassing.

"Trev cancelled UNO Football and wrestling, **** HIM! What, what did you ask? Have I ever been to a Mav football game or wrestling meet, well, I mean, I am super busy plus I have Husker season tickets for football and like, the winter is cold, so we don't go out a lot, I mean just to Husker basketball games, but I live in Omaha so I still support the Manatees, I mean Mavericks. so **** him"

- Maverick Football/Wrestling Fan (Probably)

[/QUOTE]
UNO went through a major transition
Very bizarre not to interview more than one candidate given the importance of the position.
True. My gut tells me the decision to bring him on board was made long ago. That's fine. The search firm and all of that is just a show. It's easily sleuthed out. I'm more curious about the Moos situation, as in they wanted to fire him but didn't want the backlash, so paid him off instead to retire. Whatever. It is what it is. No doubt in my mind that Trev will not mix his priorities when it comes to football. Just wondering if he has the talent and vision to elevate the program. We've sucked for a long time. If you don't get this turned around soon, we've got a whole generation that doesn't give Nebraska football a second glance

Last edited:
Reactions: CameronKrazie86
"Trev cancelled UNO Football and wrestling, **** HIM! What, what did you ask? Have I ever been to a Mav football game or wrestling meet, well, I mean, I am super busy plus I have Husker season tickets for football and like, the winter is cold, so we don't go out a lot, I mean just to Husker basketball games, but I live in Omaha so I still support the Manatees, I mean Mavericks. so **** him"

- Maverick Football/Wrestling Fan (Probably)

Let's face it, outside of hockey, all UNO sports are unwatchable, including basketball

Let's face it, outside of hockey, all UNO sports are unwatchable, including basketball
Yep!

And honestly, for basketball, it is all about making March Madness, they do that and they are set, they pull off an upset and for about 4 days they will be the darlings of omaha as the 15 seed that beat a 2.

Very bizarre not to interview more than one candidate given the importance of the position.
Only if they hadn’t identified him as their man beforehand. And they surely had done so or else Moos wouldn’t have departed in less than a week.

I know some people are offended by spending lots of money on phony searches but this isn’t the first or last time it will happen. High level university administrative positions typically require costly quick and dirty searches even when the outcome is predictable.

Some people are also offended if it appears Affirmative Action wasn’t a serious consideration. I imagine we may hear some grumbling at a minimum on this point.

I am well aware that UNL and UNO athletics are separate entities but Trev surely has a lengthy track record working with Regents and the System President and they must have thought he was the right guy too.

I noted in a post above that Husker hero Trev might be the best possible candidate to fire another Husker hero as it seems more likely to be needed with each passing year. Not saying that had a thing to do with hiring him but it might be a good residual benefit.

Last edited:
Only if they hadn’t identified him as their man beforehand. And they surely had done so or else Moos wouldn’t have departed in less than a week.

I know some people are offended by spending lots of money on phony searches but this isn’t the first or last time it will happen. High level university administrative positions typically require costly quick and dirty searches even when the outcome is predictable.

Some people are also offended if it appears Affirmative Action wasn’t a serious consideration. I imagine we may hear some grumbling at a minimum on this point.

I am well aware that UNL and UNO athletics are separate entities but Trev surely has a lengthy track record working with Regents and the System President and they must have thought he was the right guy too.

I noted in a post above that Husker hero Trev might be the best possible candidate to fire another Husker hero as it seems more likely to be needed with each passing year. Not saying that had a thing to do with hiring him but it might be a good residual benefit.
I'm going to laugh if at any point in the next year Trev says that he has a list of names that he keeps in the top drawer of his desk

Reactions: leodisflowers
Green said during the PC there were 25 qualified candidates who applied. Eight of them were down-selected for further interviews and vetting. After that they decided on Alberts and gave him an official "interview". The reason being, by state law all people "interviewed" (officially) have to have their names disclosed and they didn't want to do that. The interviews of the eight candidates were called something else, like "search question sitdowns". So the folks claiming only Trev was interviewed are misinformed or disingenuous.

For me it isn't the losing, it is so many of the losses could have been avoided with a little coaching common sense (clock management, playing to the other team's weaknesses, etc.)

You should send an email to the department recommending Trev joins Toastmasters. If he got gigged five points every time he said "right" it might break him of the habit.

Green said during the PC there were 25 qualified candidates who applied. Eight of them were down-selected for further interviews and vetting. After that they decided on Alberts and gave him an official "interview". The reason being, by state law all people "interviewed" (officially) have to have their names disclosed and they didn't want to do that. The interviews of the eight candidates were called something else, like "search question sitdowns". So the folks claiming only Trev was interviewed are misinformed or disingenuous.
Yep!

Big time hires are a lot like middle school dating. YOU don't ask the girl you like out...your friend goes to talk to her to see if she might like you. That way, you never actually get rejected because you never actually asked her out.

"We're going to win at everything. That's just what Nebraska does."

Wondering if this quote will go down in infamy with Steve Pedersen's "I will not let Nebraska gravitate toward mediocrity," Bill Callahan's "Restore the Order," Bo Pelini's "I haven't forgotten how to coach defense and how to stop the run," and Scott Frost's “I’m hoping the Big Ten has to modify their system for us.”

For me it isn't the losing, it is so many of the losses could have been avoided with a little coaching common sense (clock management, playing to the other team's weaknesses, etc.)

You should send an email to the department recommending Trev joins Toastmasters. If he got gigged five points every time he said "right" it might break him of the habit.
so you heard it too? ha ha ha

So, did Pollard make the final eight, or was he one of the 17 that didn't make it that far?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT