ADVERTISEMENT

Time to retire the Blackshirts

Or at least stop making such a big damn deal when they hand them out. it's been nothing but an embarrassment for the past decade. Just let the first team defense where the freakin' black jerseys in practice if you want and stop making a big presentation out of it.

Disagree on getting rid of them. Agree totally on stop making a big deal out of them. Stop f****** waiting to hand them out. The whole black shirt thing became a distraction when Bo started waiting to hand them out, and it’s been a distraction since.

Hand them out to the top 11 as soon as they have been decided upon in fall camp. You continue to earn that #1 spot, or you lose it.
Stop over thinking it!

Seriously. Nebraska's defense has not been nationally ranked in forever. No one dreads facing them, even at home. Unless they have some sort of phobia about converting a lot of 3rd and longs.

Reactions: PeliniTheCrutch
This tradition is dead. Hasn’t been relevant since Solich was here. Burn them on Monday and never talk about them again.

They were suppose to just be for identifying 1st string from 2nd string and not to be worn for game uniforms..

I agree whole hardly Bury the uniforms along with the idea..😡

Reactions: dinglefritz
Or at least stop making such a big damn deal when they hand them out. it's been nothing but an embarrassment for the past decade. Just let the first team defense where the freakin' black jerseys in practice if you want and stop making a big presentation out of it.

Exactly. If you are a starter you have a blackshirt. Stop handing them out or taking them away based on a game performance. Either don't do it at all, or give them to the starters. Lose your starting job...lose your blackshirt. Earn a starting job, earn a blackshirt.

In the end, it's a practice jersey......why everyone gets so worked up about them is beyond me.

They shouldn't come out till they're a top 20 defense.

That will never happen running this offense. We don’t shorten games, & we don’t possess the ball long enough.
Through last week, Wisconsin # 1 in TOP and #1 in total defense.

Running this offense, we could have a great defense but rank in the 40s or 50s.

Exactly. Their meant for the starters. Now, just get coaches that make these young men one unit

granted we won the game but the D gives up 500 yards and gets them... has become a joke and the laughing stock of college football... scott needs to realize the talent level we get and go from there... we will never be a spread em out and throw the ball 30 times a game team in the BIG NEVER

Reactions: nu2u
Im not sure why the offense wore black, or gigantic skull logos...
<-----look at the picture of rozier, this is how a husker uniform should look.
if you was to have a blackshirt logo, make a small sticker of it people on the defence can put on their helmet for doing something, like ohio state, like a turn over recovery

Yes hand them out but don’t make it public
Agree, I think it's the media more than anything that makes a big deal out of it. If we had a good defense, no one would care who had a Blackshirt.

Did the delay in awarding the Blackshirts start with Bo? I feel like I recall Zack Bowman voluntarily turning in his Blackshirt during the 2007 season, but Bo may have been the one to start the whole "you haven't earned them yet" schtick.

While we're at it, how about those Blackshirt-themed uniforms yesterday?!

And on a related note, I'm okay with the volleyball team stealing the concept with their "Blackshorts".

(Note the volleyball team lost to Stanford, however.)

Im not sure why the offense wore black, or gigantic skull logos...
<-----look at the picture of rozier, this is how a husker uniform should look.
if you was to have a blackshirt logo, make a small sticker of it people on the defence can put on their helmet for doing something, like ohio state, like a turn over recovery
I think in the mid-90s, the players with a Blackshirt actually did have a black circle-shaped sticker near the number on the back of their helmet which said...

BLACK
SHIRT

... in white font.

EDIT: It looked like this...

Someone on the equipment staff needs to hit up that eBay page Winking

Reactions: redwine65
No, IMO it's time to quit playing games with the Blackshirt process and making it too complicated. I think that complicated attempt at motivation/reward is self defeating. Just go back to the original practice and hand them out to the starters the week before the first game and keep them for starters during the season if that line up changes for non-injury reasons. That's it. As I said before, Blackshirts are NOT about fan gratification. They're about the players - period. Simple is better.

granted we won the game but the D gives up 500 yards and gets them... has become a joke and the laughing stock of college football... scott needs to realize the talent level we get and go from there... we will never be a spread em out and throw the ball 30 times a game team in the BIG NEVER
This guy understands the Big Ten. The longer Frost stays with the Chip Kelly offense the more he will track Chip Kelly's record (currently 8-13 at UCLA) ...... or as is now evident --worse--- since the Big Ten has always been more defense dominant than the PAC12 conference.

Also, as others have repeatedly pointed out, offenses which routinely subject their defense to play 35 minutes or more of smash mouth football week in and week out are going to weaken over the long haul of a season. Surrendering 35, on average, is a recipe for 3 or 4 sure losses in this conference.

Last edited:
It's become meaningless. When we were Blackshirts, we had all conference and all Americans playing.

Reactions: scarletred
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT