ADVERTISEMENT

Time for an 8 Team Playoff?

SLOHusker

Senior
Aug 7, 2001
Cut one regular season game from the schedule to make it a 11 game season (12 games should have never happened). Keep the conference championships but move them up a week to TG weekend. Play the first round at the home stadium of the higher seeds the first weekend in Dec. Winners of the 5 BCS conferences get automatic bids. Undefeated conference champions from smaller conferences get automatic bids if their schedule strength is at least the 50th percentile or better. Fill in the remainder with at-large bids. Seed the teams by a final ranking (conf-champions get higher seed placement).

1. Clemson
2. Oklahoma
3. Georgia
4. Ohio St
5. USC
6. UCF
7. Alabama
8. Wisconsin

Reactions: stxhusker
But then whoever's #9 is going to get their feelings hurt, and if I've learned anything since last November, we cannot have people get their feelings hurt.
Hell........the numbers 65-70 get their feelings hurt come March madness. Always gonna happen no matter how many teams are involved. I'm all for 8 team playoff.

This year makes me WANT an 8 team playoff. Not sure if it would be good or doable. Teams that don't make playoff will scream bloody murder with lost revenue from one less game as will conferences. Not to mention all the bickering when the $ec conference and ESPN get predominantly $ec teams in.

An 8 team playoff with conf championships equates to about a 1/4 of a team's season for the top tier teams. The top 2 are going to play a conf champ game and 3 playoff games. To make it work, I think you'd need something like a conf champ game, then match P5 and G5 conf champs. Out of those 5 winners, make your playoff teams.

8 team playoff, best records get in. If the "big boys" can't beat the "little boys" for one game, they don't deserve it either.

Only division 1 schedules, no FCS. Rotate all teams on a loop within the respective conferences.

Last edited:
I always thought I wanted a tournament. Now that we have one I find myself not giving a crap about it. I guess they "settle it on the field," but it pretty much makes all other bowl games completely irrelevant. The $EC bias in the selection process is also a bit tiresome. I'm not sure the process is any less controversial than the BCS, Bowl Alliance, or old poll system. It's just different.

If 'Bama gets bent over like they deserve, maybe I will feel better. Still bitter about how Nebraska's appearance in the 2002 Rose Bowl made the entire country hate us, because we hadn't even appeared in our conference championship game, yet 'Bama gets a pass.

Reactions: Sinomatic
If you go to an 8-team playoff, I'd say get rid of the conference championships. That would also mean getting rid of divisions. Then the team with the best conference record in each P5 conference gets an automatic bid. Three at-large bids.

In the event of ties that can't be broken by head-to-head results, the team ranked higher in the polls would get the automatic bid.

If you go to an 8-team playoff, I'd say get rid of the conference championships. That would also mean getting rid of divisions. Then the team with the best conference record in each P5 conference gets an automatic bid. Three at-large bids.

In the event of ties that can't be broken by head-to-head results, the team ranked higher in the polls would get the automatic bid.
Polls? How about FPI instead?

I don't know exactly how it's calculated (I get the jist, but not the details), but I'd rather have some kind of objective metric rather than a poll that can be manipulated at a few voters' fancy.

Reactions: Sinomatic
I always thought I wanted a tournament. Now that we have one I find myself not giving a crap about it. I guess they "settle it on the field," but it pretty much makes all other bowl games completely irrelevant. The $EC bias in the selection process is also a bit tiresome. I'm not sure the process is any less controversial than the BCS, Bowl Alliance, or old poll system. It's just different.

If 'Bama gets bent over like they deserve, maybe I will feel better. Still bitter about how Nebraska's appearance in the 2002 Rose Bowl made the entire country hate us, because we hadn't even appeared in our conference championship game, yet 'Bama gets a pass.
For a second time. Don't forget Alabama made the BCS championship game over Oklahoma State the year Alabama lost to LSU in the regular season, then beat them in a rematch in the BCS without having to play a CCG.

Teams that don't make playoff will scream bloody murder with lost revenue from one less game as will conferences. .
Dropping a home game would cost NU about $6-7 million and the City of Lincoln twice that much. All so that we can move toward a FCS format. No thanks.

Reactions: huskerfan66
Well Mike, since you brought up the FCS system, let's see about the excitement it generates. Attendance at the 2016 playoffs averaged 8,693 fans per game, attendance for ALL of the games was less than 200,000. Hard to pay your $3 million salary with that kind of fan support.

No too getting rid of CCG that isn't the problem and whether you like it or not two problems are not everyone plays 9 conference games and with P5 conference's they left out one conference champion in a 4 team playoff...

What if Bama had played OU and lost and tOSU played Mercer? I like 8 team playoff, but 5 of the 8 have to be P5 conference champions. That was the purpose of having a conference CG.

Gawd no!
We had trouble finding 4 deserving teams this year!
Watering shit down will do no good....ugh why did we even start this. Best season in sports, diminished.

But its going to happen im sure,

Yeah, it will happen for the sake of more TV money. But it will be at the expense of watering down the playoff field AND losing the best thing that made college football special-- that being the importance of each regular season game!

You can have a 12 game regular season and an eight game playoff too. You take the PF champions and have a have a committee pick 3 wild cards. But no conference can have more than 2 teams in the playoff. Simple!!!

Reactions: scarletred
Six conferences of 11 teams = 66 teams (64 current Power 5 members plus Notre Dame and BYU).
12-game regular season along with an exhibition opener.
Everybody schedules an "exhibition" game at home against a FCS team in late August.
Everybody plays two non-conference games:
  • One at home versus a Group of 5 team
  • One home or away (rotating two-year contracts) against another FBS team
Everybody plays round-robin conference schedule of 10 games (5 home, 5 away).
Six conference champs are seeded for playoffs much in the same way the NFC/AFC does it:
  • Second Saturday in December is for "wild-card games" with No. 6 at No. 3 and No. 5 at No. 4
  • Jan. 1 is for semifinals in traditional bowls (no change from current system)
  • Second Monday in January is for title game (no change)
Nebraska (like everyone else in this system) would get either seven or eight home "dates" every year depending on the second non-conference game, whether it's home or away. The extra "exhibition" game would create revenue for the school, but it could also be sold like a second spring game in which non-season-ticket holders get a chance to purchase tickets on a first-come, first-serve basis.

Nebraska would be part of a reconstituted Big Eight, with the original eight along with three Texas schools (you pick).

So a typical schedule for NU might look like this:
Aug. 25 vs. South Dakota State (exhibition)
Sept. 1 vs. Northern Illinois
Sept. 8 at Penn State
Sept. 15 Kansas State
Sept. 22 at Missouri
Sept. 29 Texas Tech
Oct. 6 at Oklahoma State
Oct. 13 Colorado
Oct. 20 at Texas
Oct. 27 OFF
Nov. 3 Texas A&M
Nov. 10 at Iowa State
Nov. 17 at Kansas
Nov. 24 Oklahoma

Dec. 8 Playoff Round 1 (No. 6 at No. 3; No. 5 at No. 4)
Jan. 1 Rose Bowl (No. 3/6 vs. No. 2)
Jan. 1 Sugar Bowl (No. 4/5 vs. No. 1)

Jan. 14 Championship game

The time for an 8 team playoff was decades ago. You're right that the addition of the 12 regular season game hampers the ability to administer an 8 or 16 team playoff.

In any case, if you had an 8 teamer with P5 the conference champs getting automatic bids and 3 at-large, you'd finally have a regular season that actually means something every week, instead of having most teams eliminated from playoff contention in October and playing meaningless games the rest of the season.

Reactions: SODHUSKER
So dumb.
There are not 8 teams deserving of a shot at the NC. Period.
Do this and ruin the reg season. Even more than it is now.
Go back to the o,d format, pre BCS and just make the top two teams play each other.
Any team with a loss has no gripe.

Cut one regular season game from the schedule to make it a 11 game season (12 games should have never happened). Keep the conference championships but move them up a week to TG weekend. Play the first round at the home stadium of the higher seeds the first weekend in Dec. Winners of the 5 BCS conferences get automatic bids. Undefeated conference champions from smaller conferences get automatic bids if their schedule strength is at least the 50th percentile or better. Fill in the remainder with at-large bids. Seed the teams by a final ranking (conf-champions get higher seed placement).

1. Clemson
2. Oklahoma
3. Georgia
4. Ohio St
5. USC
6. UCF
7. Alabama
8. Wisconsin

No. College ball is not the NFL

Having a playoff makes the regular season more important, not less. Even with a 4 team playoff, most regular season games are meaningless.

Having a playoff with conference championships as the primary qualifying criteria makes the actual results on the field matter the most.

Reactions: saluno22
No too getting rid of CCG that isn't the problem and whether you like it or not two problems are not everyone plays 9 conference games and with P5 conference's they left out one conference champion in a 4 team playoff...

What if Bama had played OU and lost and tOSU played Mercer? I like 8 team playoff, but 5 of the 8 have to be P5 conference champions. That was the purpose of having a conference CG.

I agree that I'd like to see 5 automatic bids. I disagree that you need a conference championship game to determine those bids. They're just cash grabs, and they're unnecessary with an 8-team playoff. Instead, I'd much rather see the first round of an 8-team playoff played at on-campus sites.

Get rid of conference divisions in favor of a more equitable scheduling format. Then the team with the best conference record at the end gets the automatic bid. If there's a tie, you look at head-to-head. If they didn't play each other, then use other objective criteria - the higher-ranked team, or the team with the tougher SOS, etc. If both teams are really good, chances are they will get one of the at-large bids anyway.

I agree that I'd like to see 5 automatic bids. I disagree that you need a conference championship game to determine those bids. They're just cash grabs, and they're unnecessary with an 8-team playoff. Instead, I'd much rather see the first round of an 8-team playoff played at on-campus sites.

Get rid of conference divisions in favor of a more equitable scheduling format. Then the team with the best conference record at the end gets the automatic bid. If there's a tie, you look at head-to-head. If they didn't play each other, then use other objective criteria - the higher-ranked team, or the team with the tougher SOS, etc. If both teams are really good, chances are they will get one of the at-large bids anyway.

They're are not going to get rid of CCG those games and if you have divisions they can settle that on the field that makes it a playoff to get into the 4 or 8 team playoff..

I understand what you're getting at but I don't see these conference wanting to get rid of these CCG.

An eight team tournament not only allows in some two-loss teams who have no business getting a shot at a championship, but it also gives the two finalists about six weeks of extra practice that a non-bowl team misses. So not only are you giving them a huge recruiting boost with a month of extra publicity, you're also setting them up for additional success next season. Teams don't even get six weeks to practice in spring ball. It's like playing an extra half-season, while the other teams are sitting at home playing video games.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT