ADVERTISEMENT

Thoughts on today’s game

No I didn’t

I watched the presser multiple times, transcribed the exact statement and posted the video for all to see

Stop lying & show me proof.

Honesty and accountability are important. If calling out liars makes me a prick, so be it. Without it, how could we take you seriously about anything?
Scroll down to “news”. Zach Carpenter’s “Everthing Matt Rhule said”.

Scroll down to “news”. Zach Carpenter’s “Everthing Matt Rhule said”.
Was that so hard?

Here’s the quote:
At the end, I said, ‘Hey guys, do you want to take a knee?’ and the offensive guys were like, ‘Absolutely not.’ So, it didn't really make sense what we were doing. I thought Chubba [Purdy] did some really good things out there, and I wanted to give him a chance in the two minute to go down and move us and he got us right down, you know, to the opportunity to do so. So, I just really appreciate that part about them and they're going to just get better and better and better."

Coach loves that the kids want to play, to compete. Instead of kneeling it, we got to see purdy float a pick to a local kid who looks to have a bright future. Purdy made a nice tackle. Perhaps he should be in the LB or DB room?

I’m glad they didn’t kneel it, either.

That quote was not in any of the post game presser vids posted anywhere (I watched 3 different versions a total of 5x. I have zero intention of misleading anybody or paraphrasing.)

• Haha
Reactions: Gary.Busey
I think the odds of Smothers and Purdy both being here next season are close to 0%. I used to think they would keep one of Smothers/Purdy and one of Haarberg/Torres, now I think the
staff may prefer to keep the two young guys if they get their way.

I think the odds of Smothers and Purdy both being here next season are close to 0%. I used to think they would keep one of Smothers/Purdy and one of Haarberg/Torres, now I think the
Can purdy transfer again without it costing eligibility?

Same goes for the two likely starters

I think those 3 guys + Haarberg, who Rhule clearly likes, are here for good

Reactions: Walleye79
Can purdy transfer again without it costing eligibility?

Same goes for the two likely starters

I think those 3 guys + Haarberg, who Rhule clearly likes, are here for good

I am not convinced that rule matters at all. It seems like the NCAA just gives everyone a waiver. Having said that, Gilbert will probably be the first and only to have to sit a year.

You left off Rhule’s comment about Chubba. I’ve already given you the exact quote. You don’t need a link. You’re already in their site. Are you always a prick?
“. I thought Chubba [Purdy] did some really good things out there, and I wanted to give him a chance in the two minute to go down and move us and he got us right down, you know, to the opportunity to do so”

Frankly, this has been one of the better threads in a while, IMHO. I was there and can respect everyone's perspective.

My quick hits:

-Simm or CT-We have 2 legit, confident and qualified QB's to get us to a bowl game.
-I personally am a huge Ervin fan, but Grant looked best yesterday. I still think Ervin and Allen are studs and may the best man win.
-WR was spring time material. Kemp is a great addition. Comradery is there and Senior leadership leads me to believe we will be just fine.
-At TE, we seem to want this to be a key cog, and I'm sure it will, but yesterday was average. Couple drops, vanilla play. But, I like the TE dive and when you take some out of the blue like Jameire Bonner and put him as FB, you are being creative. I like this philosophy.
-OL, welcome Ben Scott. Something about him resonates PipeLine football. Hopefully, it spreads.
-I am confident that with the style of defense and acumen of the coaches, we will have a more than competent DL. For a little levity....Hood looks like a former Georgia tackle. Good night, Irene.
-I was happy for the traditionalist side of me seeing MR 75 have a good game. He looked fast and natural in the edge position. Sherman being coached up is why he is here instead of being tanked on the 4 deep. If I am correct, he had a huge hit on a kick return that looked more violent than what I've seen in a while-in a good way. Scheme will be intriguing with the talent we have here.
-We have studs across the board here. Heck, I would feel confident with a 3-2-6 if we had too. Confidence abides. On last play of game (supposed last play), you had 3 stud safeties (Newsome, Farmer, and Singleton) dancing to the fact that they were about to get ready to rock someone. 6-2, 215-200, experienced and coached right is a one hell of a cocktail. Greatest and most compelling play of the day for me was when there was a play where it wasn't sure if there was a fumble by the QB or not and someone picked it up to advance it. Out of nowhere, Hartzog absolutely blows him up. That is why our D is going to be stellar. We have a very, very deep secondary. Keep in mind that one second favorite player on D, Buford Jr. is still rehabbing.

To conclude, because my wife wants to go to a garage sale, I am confident where we are heading. And the reason is because we have coaches dedicated to the craft. Nothing poignant, just a quick summary.

The most disappointing thing:
  • Two missed field goals by our top returning placekicker.
  • Turnovers can be a mixed blessing — is the offense sloppy or the defense opportunistic?
  • Kickers missing field goals, however, is NOT open to interpretation.
  • Hopefully the true frosh from Westside is ready.

• Two missed field goals by our top returning placekicker. Hopefully the true frosh from Westside is ready.
  • Turnovers can be a mixed blessing — is the offense sloppy or the defense opportunistic?
Holders? Snaps? Wind? Several variables to think about. They’ll get it worked out I bet.

I couldn’t tell who was holding or snapping. The radio guys said all the misses kicks were in to the wind.
Buschini was the holder for Bleekrode. I know they had a new snapper. One miss was with the wind, one again, but seriously, 15 practices PLUS
giphy.gif

That's also the same wind that apparently gusts through PBA when our men's basketball team shoots free throws.
Apparently we don’t have a walk on kicker anymore? Man that’s one spot we better have a couple of walk ons available.

Reactions: 9and4
  • Two missed field goals by our top returning placekicker.
  • Hopefully the true frosh from Westside is ready.
I mentioned this a few months back thinking no way we waste a scholly by having two kickers but someone thought it was a good idea. Our kicker isn’t real good so roll with Tristan and that’s that.

These guys back in the fall will make a huge difference in how we look and play.
I did see Gunnerson out there.

Agreed that those guys back makes us much better. Also, the new competition from the frosh.
So, honestly the biggest questions now in my own personal opinion as far as personnel:
NPG, Bretz
Purdy, HH, and Snothers
Hill, Lynum, Clark
Snodgrass, Malcom, Kpai, Gbayor
Rollins, Androff , Appleget
Hardy, Jones
Ervin or Emmett
Bleekrode
Another DB or WR

That should put us under, with room to grab an Upperclass OL from the portal perhaps.
Lots of action coming in the next week or two

What is Gilbert’s playing status for next year? Do we know yet? It was only one practice but he just didn’t have a special it factor watching him play, I wonder if he couldn’t be more valuable to us in a FB role or if he could transition into an OLineman, would probably take years to get him ready but can you imagine an o lineman with his athletic ability?

What is Gilbert’s playing status for next year? Do we know yet? It was only one practice but he just didn’t have a special it factor watching him play, I wonder if he couldn’t be more valuable to us in a FB role or if he could transition into an OLineman, would probably take years to get him ready but can you imagine an o lineman with his athletic ability?
I think he was literally one of the highest rated TEs coming out of high school ever. Dude can be as good as he wants to be. Really it looks like he could drop about 10 lbs to move better. Let's just hope he doesn't end up another Omar Manning.

He still has to be granted a waiver by the NCAA in order to play this year. There shouldn't be any reason he doesn't get it, but its the NCAA so who knows.

Betts looked pretty rusty

Gilbert had a drop on a floating wobbler and the 2nd one off his facemask I think was tipped (ball took an eternity to get there)

whoever #17 (Hahn?) is looked real bad

appears M Washington's inconsistency from last year hasn't been addressed. he is very weak with his hands.
Didn’t Betts get concussed?

Interesting when they interviewed Sims during the game about why he chose Nebraska he said “Lincoln is very peaceful”… wonder if ATL chaos creeped him out

Smothers, Torres and Haarberg could all leave and play right away. Purdy would have to apply for a waiver. Smothers and Haarberg are both very good athletes who could play other positions. It will be interesting to see how it shakes out.

My personal opinion is Purdy>Smothers>Haarberg>Torres.

Smothers, Torres and Haarberg could all leave and play right away. Purdy would have to apply for a waiver. Smothers and Haarberg are both very good athletes who could play other positions. It will be interesting to see how it shakes out.

My personal opinion is Purdy>Smothers>Haarberg>Torres.
Purdy plays like a hen in a fox cage.

Reactions: Mack In Motion
Stop moving the goalposts & post your proof. Anecdotes won’t cut it. I will pay for a subscription just to read it when you post.

I posted a word for word transcription of coach’s presser where you said the compliment came from & did not see or hear what you claim to have.

Until I see it, you’re lying. Really really pathetic for a guy who “doesn’t embellish anything” (LMAO)
Reported.

• Love
Reactions: dinglefritz
Kinda where I'm at. AA is a special talent and I really want him to stay, but if he thinks he'll have to spend a year at #3 or #4 in the stable, he may just portal out.
Ervin fits the Rhule offense the best. Grant is effective until he starts dancing. Ajay is a kid who can find and fit into the smallest gaps. Against the better teams, assuming Ajay sticks around, he will be our best back.

Put that kid behind Michigan's OL and he'll be running around in the secondary like Reggie Bush.

We off the Ajay Allen wagon?

I think we’ll need him this fall
I'm not off the Ajay wagon, I think the time off and lack of practice from his collarbone injury don't have him at the top of his game.

I also think once some of this correctible crap is fixed before the season starts, NU will whip the piss out of Minnesota.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT