ADVERTISEMENT

Thoughts on today’s game

drubendall

Assistant Head Coach
Apr 18, 2004
Sims looks good. Smooth, poised, in control. Looks like a guy who played a lot of football. No problem whatsoever if he’s the starter this fall.

Purdy - still unsure of himself. He will be buried on the death chart.

Ervin. Wow! Give him the ball. Workhorse

Kemp IV - a guy we can count on. The next
Tourre. I like the idea of proven wide receivers out of the portal. He’ll be our #1.

Haarberg - decent showing, tough runner, inconsistent as a passer. He will not be in the conversation for a starting job. Sus decision making. A 3rd teamer at best.

Defenses - nice ballhawking and pursuit/effort

1st team o line - underwhelming. DLine won the day easily. Raiola has his work cut out.

Very mistake prone game by the offense, sloppy football. So.Many.Fumbles!😡

Corcoran came off limping 😩

Did not watch the second half, nothing to be gained there.

Can’t take too much from a first spring game. We will be much better even by the 2nd game of the regular season.
Felt pretty good about what I saw.
Hoping Teddy comes back healthy.

We all know the first year is an adjustment. Now the question is who leaves to get to 85

Can’t take too much from a first spring game. We will be much better even by the 2nd game of the regular season.
Felt pretty good about what I saw.
Hoping Teddy comes back healthy.

We all know the first year is an adjustment. Now the question is who leaves to get to 85
need to get below 85 if we plan to be the least bit active in the portal prior to fall camp

Was there for the first half...total snooze fest.

Watched the second half at the new single barrel...snooze fest.

Not negative, just boring

But still way better that that minny spring game and wisky spring game

I just got back from the game. You're right, it was boring as far as not lot of big offensive plays and scoring. However, the defense had a lot to do with that, and defense wins championships. Also, if this staff truly wants to effectively run the ball, it takes commitment. Not trying a few runs in the first quarter and if not effective, wet your pants and start slinging it all over the field like the last staff. The commitment has to be in practice, in the scrimmages, in the Spring Game, and this fall. So I think there was a lot of commitment to practicing the run, which made for a more boring game. There weren't a lot of exciting plays like reverses or long runs and passes.

Too bad about Haarburg, he didn't take advantage of his opportunity sad to say.

I’m never interested in the spring game, but appreciate the thoughts of all that watched.

My dad commented, "We still look like a passing team". He probably meant that the most effective plays in his eyes were the passing plays. ..I think he falls into the 'run the damn ball' club.

I said, "Well Rhule has only had about 4 months with the team, it might take a year and a half to get things the way he wants them".

I hope it doesn't take as long but I think it's going to take as long to get all the pieces he wants either recruited and/or converted and moving in the directions he wants them to.

I went into the spring game expecting to see about what I saw. I was not disappointed. I will expect the first year under Rhule to be about like his first years at Baylor and Temple. I won't be disappointed if they are. I will be disappointed if they perform like a first year team in year two. It's just unfortunate that Rhule might only have 1 year in the big ten west as it is presently before USC and UCLA come challenging.

GO BIG RED!!!

Reactions: BleedRed78
I just got back from the game. You're right, it was boring as far as not lot of big offensive plays and scoring. However, the defense had a lot to do with that, and defense wins championships. Also, if this staff truly wants to effectively run the ball, it takes commitment. Not trying a few runs in the first quarter and if not effective, wet your pants and start slinging it all over the field like the last staff. The commitment has to be in practice, in the scrimmages, in the Spring Game, and this fall. So I think there was a lot of commitment to practicing the run, which made for a more boring game. There weren't a lot of exciting plays like reverses or long runs and passes.

Too bad about Haarburg, he didn't take advantage of his opportunity sad to say.
Oline still bad. Starts with the O line.

Love the posts.

It’s a spring game, relax. Also, it’s this dude’s first year, relax. Nebraska has been a terrible program for quite a while. I don’t think it’s a one year fix. Hope I’m wrong.

Also, maybe our schedule seems easy. But maybe it isn’t. You all thinking 8 wins may be a bit off. Not trying to be a naysayer, however we haven’t been an 8 win team for a long tine. We aren’t a favorite, we haven’t been good, and we sure as hell can lose to anyone.

I think we win 8 or more games. But I won’t be the least bit surprised if we suck. I just think this coach knows how to beat inferior coaches. Frost did not know how to win

My dad commented, "We still look like a passing team". He probably meant that the most effective plays in his eyes were the passing plays. ..I think he falls into the 'run the damn ball' club.

I said, "Well Rhule has only had about 4 months with the team, it might take a year and a half to get things the way he wants them".

I hope it doesn't take as long but I think it's going to take as long to get all the pieces he wants either recruited and/or converted and moving in the directions he wants them to.

I went into the spring game expecting to see about what I saw. I was not disappointed. I will expect the first year under Rhule to be about like his first years at Baylor and Temple. I won't be disappointed if they are. I will be disappointed if they perform like a first year team in year two. It's just unfortunate that Rhule might only have 1 year in the big ten west as it is presently before USC and UCLA come challenging.

GO BIG RED!!!
At this point I would disagree with your dad. I’m really concerned about our passing game. I think there is a Ton to clean up there. Granted, I was at the game, S EZ, and most of the time there seemed to be issues, the offense was on the N end. I’ll watch the DVR to see if I still think the same. But it appeared there were WAY TOO MANY dropped balls. Balls that hit the guys right in the numbers and they couldn’t pull them in.

Not sure if anyone agrees with this. We just got back to Omaha a little bit ago so I probably won’t watch til tomorrow. I am interested if anyone else saw the same.

Reactions: king_kong_
This is not a knock on Sims' decision making because I haven't seen enough to be sure, but CT's decision making UNDER PRESSURE is pretty good. Sims' may be as well, like I said, sample size is too small to be sure. But CT was running for his life much of last season and generally made good decisions with the ball.

Of course, having Trey on the other end of those passes doesn't hurt.

I think we look like a much faster, athletic team overall, especially on D. Lots of young talent! Obviously we need to work on ball security. OL should be much better and really excited about our TE combo even though they were basically no shows today. Their potential is off the charts, although Gilbert looks like he could shed 10-12 lbs. Now that we have REAL coaches we should be in for a fun year, finally!

This is not a knock on Sims' decision making because I haven't seen enough to be sure, but CT's decision making UNDER PRESSURE is pretty good. Sims' may be as well, like I said, sample size is too small to be sure. But CT was running for his life much of last season and generally made good decisions with the ball.

Of course, having Trey on the other end of those passes doesn't hurt.
I think Casey is going to like Kemp a whole bunch.

Sorry, RED team stats not shown:

White Rushing
#PLAYERATTYDSTDLNGAVG
1JJOHNSON,RAHMIR635095.8
1AGRANT,ANTHONY14340112.4
22,GABE ERVIN JR820172.5

White Passing
#PLAYERC-AYDSTDIC%RTG
14SIMS,JEFF9-131390069159
10HAARBERG,H2-9-1002221.3
1DPURDY,CHUBBA2-416015033.6
1WWOCHE,JACK0-100000
PASS TOTALS13-271540148

White Receiving
#PLAYERNOYDSTDLNGAVGTGTC%
49BOERKIRCHER,N34403814.7743
16WASHINGTON,M34201914560
15IV,BILLY KEMP23902419.52100
36THOMPSON,TAVEON115015151100
12BONNER,JANIRAN111011111100
13BETTS,ZAVIER14044425
24FIDONE,THOMAS140441100
1JJOHNSON,RAHMIR1-500-5250
80II,SHAWN HARDY0000 020

I just watched the first half. Looked a lot like the last few years. Sloppy, drops, poor backup qb play, questionable OL play.....sigh.
Sigh.... One spring scrimmage. I actually liked how it played out. Didn't worry about flash to appease the fans. Coaches had an opportunity to observe a game atmosphere and can work on the weak links. Keep up the doom and gloom along with other fans. It's amusing.

Correction, got the RED team stats now.....

Red Passing
#PLAYERC-AYDSTDIC%RTG
15TORRES,RICHARD9-1866015069.7
12PURDY,CHUBBA4-939004480.8
PASS TOTALS13-271050148

Red Receiving
#PLAYERNOYDSTDLNGAVGTGTC%
17HAHN,TY22701813.52100
23ALLEN,AJAY22201311367
46GOODWIN,JOHN214087367
35LUBEN,TREVIN210055367
88JR,VICTOR JONES210065450
21JOHNSON,EMMETT110010101100
18FLEEKS,JOSHUA17077250
41BROWN,ELLIOTT150551100
89GILBERT,ARIK0000 010
87HAUSMANN,COOPER0000 020

Oline still bad. Starts with the O line.
You know, I just thought of this. Something else I want to look at. The Oline was wearing gray shirts because they were playing both sides. Not sure if anyone already has a handle on this. Who are we missing? I know Teddy, but can’t think of who else. How many plays did the linemen have to play? Was mixing and matching line groups an issue. I’m not sure you can have an accurate assessment of the Oline with any of those things.

You know, I just thought of this. Something else I want to look at. The Oline was wearing gray shirts because they were playing both sides. Not sure if anyone already has a handle on this. Who are we missing? I know Teddy, but can’t think of who else. How many plays did the linemen have to play? Was mixing and matching line groups an issue. I’m not sure you can have an accurate assessment of the Oline with any of those things.

Pretty sure we basically only have enough guys to field 2 OLs, so they were probably playing about the entire game for their side.

28 car for 89 yds from what presumably is our top 3 RB right now? And I wouldn't call our front 7 a huge strength at this point.

Reactions: king_kong_

This could be said for just about every spring game.

There are only 14 OL on the roster and that includes Teddy P and Ezra Miller that are recovering from injuries

There were several moved along already

I just watched the first half. Looked a lot like the last few years. Sloppy, drops, poor backup qb play, questionable OL play.....sigh.
The last few years they didn’t even bother to hit and tackle players to the ground. Today hardly looked like the past spring games..

Ohhh do I even bother to mention special teams play too..

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT