ADVERTISEMENT

Thoughts on today’s game

Sirles said it on the broadcast - he needs reps

Timing in the passing game is all about reps & both the drunk guy and the wife beater ignored him due to being in way over their heads

He has all the tools. Sims showed what three years’ worth of starter’s reps look like. Haarberg has had 5 minutes’ worth.
Covid year Simms was 3 times Rookie of the week and came off the bench the year after to lead GT to a upset win against North Carolina…

Simms been better since the get go regardless how you spin Haarberg’s not playing much in two years..

One of his passes early which was a easy completion to running back out of the backfield was terrible…

Don’t want him to transfer but he isn’t a B1G QB that will win you games with his passing..

Found it just fine on his TD run
As the saying goes, even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while.

Take away his 7 yd TD run and he had 7 rushes for 13 yards yesterday. That’s awful. And that’s been his story line since he’s been at Nebraska. He is a 3 and out liability as a back. We need guys who are going to consistently move the ball and move the chains. That’s what football is about on offense. And if you can’t see that, I’m sorry, I can’t help you.

I think Purdy or Smothers can be serviceable #3 QBs. I just don’t think HH can pass accurately enough. Our QB depth chart is probably going to be heavily influenced by a transfer or two.
Purdy stats at NU:

22-48 (45.8%), 147 yards (3.1 yards/attempt), 0 TDs, 3 INT

24 carries, 73 yards (3 yards/carry)

Stupid or liar: which one are you?

Who wasn't available yesterday besides Teddy?

Reimer, Robinson, Henrich, Gunnerson, Borders, Wright, Farmer, ICG?
I might be mistaken, might have to watch the game I recorded but I thought I seen 18 Farmer in the game..

Rhule has no single numbers at this time so players that had them wore double digits..

Reactions: king_kong_
There are 4 freshmen still on the way...but I assume they will always take a look at the portal...I know they have kicked the tires a little on the UGA OL that entered recently
I'm thinking seasoned OL with playing experience. The big boys are prone to injury during the season and true freshmen haven't had enough time in the weight room.

Reactions: king_kong_
I'm thinking seasoned OL with playing experience. The big boys are prone to injury during the season and true freshmen haven't had enough time in the weight room.
Agreed.

Our depth on the OL is severely lacking.

Reactions: scarletred
Covid year Simms was 3 times Rookie of the week and came off the bench the year after to lead GT to a upset win against North Carolina…

Simms been better since the get go regardless how you spin Haarberg’s not playing much in two years..

One of his passes early which was a easy completion to running back out of the backfield was terrible…

Don’t want him to transfer but he isn’t a B1G QB that will win you games with his passing..
Like I said over and over:

Haarberg played like a raw talent who just started getting reps. It’s beyond obvious he has all the tools to be a big time QB, and even more clear Rhule sees it, too.

Sims looked good - clear #1 until (and if) CT proves healthy. Glad he’s on our team.

I think Purdy or Smothers can be serviceable #3 QBs. I just don’t think HH can pass accurately enough. Our QB depth chart is probably going to be heavily influenced by a transfer or two.
Could or would the loser of the qb battle between CT and Simms transfer? I can’t see either of those guys being ok with a backup role, but Im guessing at this point its just too late for a qb to transfer and win the job somewhere else

Reactions: BleedRed78
Could or would the loser of the qb battle between CT and Simms transfer? I can’t see either of those guys being ok with a backup role, but Im guessing at this point its just too late for a qb to transfer and win the job somewhere else
Keep in mind only takes one play away from starting …

Reactions: BleedRed78
This will probably be CT's last year of football anyway so he'll likely accept the #2 spot. Probably start working towards a long coaching career next year. Simms looks like a stud and has the body to withstand the Big10 physicality.

As much as Rhule said they weren’t going to hold anything back in the spring break, I think that could be interpreted a few ways. I think they definitely weren’t shy about play calling but didn’t do it with the prime personal. Boerkircher got a ton of targets yesterday and Thomas had 1. I think they didn’t want to put those plays on film with Thomas.

Kemp and Washington are probably locked in as starters. Who is WR#3 still remains in question. I think the coaches hope Betts steps up. Booner and Coleman both will be in the mix. I can’t see Fleeks doing it because hes basically Kemps backup. Can’t go too small in the B1G. Frost learned too well that you can’t be too small in the B1G. No one disagrees with that. Mickey stated this last year too. Rhule and company will see this too, if they don’t already know.

And I’m sorry but Fleeks wasn’t even on the depth chart @ Baylor last year and he was with the Reds yesterday. So not sure why people are acting like he’s in the top 6 or 8. His yardage at Baylor was in mop up duty. If he plays, it’s likely do to his coach being one of his BFFs and McGuire would do well making Josh REALLY earn playing time!!! McGuire has the most difficult job out of anyone on the staff because he lacks experience, people question the hire as Cronyism and the fish bowl in Lincoln will eat him alive if his unit doesn’t succeed. His first job at a P5 with a massive following could be a bad thing for the young dude.

Gilbert is a difficult read. I could really see Satterfield using him in the back field like he used TE @ SC. I just think his eligibility question mark is leaving the staffs hands tied on getting creative with him.

RB is a toss up. Ervin is fast and big and probably is fantastic in drills. So he’s always high on the staffs mind. But when it comes to game time, kid is a 2 yard back that misreads everything. I question if he has the basic instinct to be a good P5 RB. Grant and RJ have looked the best in games and looked the best yesterday.

CT and Sims will battle for QB. My opinion is Sims takes it. HH and Chubba QB3 and hopefully neither factors this year. HH could use another year in development . Smoothers and Torres needs to rethink their future

Last edited:
Simms would have to sit, I think the same for Casey.

I would have CT start and Sims with a series or two per game to get him PT. But I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn and am not on staff... so purely an unwarranted opinion.

I would not want to rely on Purdy at all. He is not a good QB. His best option is to move to another program.
If he wants to be a starter that may be true. Hoping to keep him around as a somewhat experienced backup is reasonable. Nobody is talking about running him out there as a starter for multiple weeks.

We off the Ajay Allen wagon?

I think we’ll need him this fall

Not me. I know he’s had a rough spring and may be buried on the depth chart at the moment. But he may have the best combo of vision and explosiveness on the team. Plus RB depth is vital, just look at some of the guys we’ve had to give carries to the last few years.

Not me. I know he’s had a rough spring and may be buried on the depth chart at the moment. But he may have the best combo of vision and explosiveness on the team. Plus RB depth is vital, just look at some of the guys we’ve had to give carries to the last few years.
Ajay is a natural. What might come in to play is his desire to compete. I’ll be pleasantly surprised if he sticks it out.

Like I said over and over:

Haarberg played like a raw talent who just started getting reps. It’s beyond obvious he has all the tools to be a big time QB, and even more clear Rhule sees it, too.

Sims looked good - clear #1 until (and if) CT proves healthy. Glad he’s on our team.
Haarberg may have been wonderful in Jammal Lord’s role.

As far as playing actual QB though…he ain’t good.

You’ll say literally anything to try to end up thinking you’re right though, I’ll give you that.

I get it, but at some point it becomes numbers...just pointing out that in 6 weeks the 14 become 18

Reactions: headcard
I'm gonna wait to worry. Any team that shows anything in the spring game is dumb. I also think losing one starter off the oline screws everything up with timing, so show me how 5 starters work together by mid Sept.

Not all that controversial if one can get past the idea that he used to be a five star in high school a few years ago, and look at what he's done lately. I hope he can turn it around.
He had 35 catches for 368 yards at LSU. As a true freshman. With 2 tds. 24 of his 35 catches went for a 1st down or td. I think that is where some of the hype came from. He actually stepped on the field and produced right away.

I hope Rhule is right about Garret McGuire. Because the receiver play did not inspire much confidence in the young coach.
Our defense threw a lot at the offense. They threw blitzes and line stunts on virtually every passing down. Couple that with too many low and bobbled snaps and I think it messed up timing. Our DBs are probably the strength of the team as well.

Post that quote, please

I watched the presser 5x. I didn’t forget a single word.

You’re being intellectually dishonest and/or hearing what you want to because of extreme bias.

Here’s the link for your convenience

Read Rhule’s whole postgame statement on Husker Inside. Rhule said “Chubba did some good things”. That IS a compliment.

The viewing lens I keep reminding myself of has to be “we’re a 4 win team”….
a 4 win team???!!!!….
with a few new pieces mixed in throughout.
Until we get more wins under our belt, we’re still a 4 win team.
Starters or backups, putting the ball on the ground 8 times along with other poor fundamentals isn’t a new staff thing. It just reminds us we got a LOOONG way to go.

Other teams have good players and good coaches also, all trying to get better.
Time to step it up.

Reactions: huntered
Read Rhule’s whole postgame statement on Husker Inside. Rhule said “Chubba did some good things”. That IS a compliment.
no comment on your fabricated 2 minute drill "quote"?

changing narratives now?

you completely made up a quote to support your extreme bias. right after saying you never embellish.

admit it, own it, get better moving forward. it's what I do & every other person of substance does.

If he wants to be a starter that may be true. Hoping to keep him around as a somewhat experienced backup is reasonable. Nobody is talking about running him out there as a starter for multiple weeks.
His reactions in the practice were identical to his reactions in the games last year. His brain shuts down under pressure, he kills earthworms with his passes, cannot hit open receivers, and runs ok. I have seen no improvement in his game and do not think there will be...

Reactions: itseasyas1-2-3
As much as Rhule said they weren’t going to hold anything back in the spring break, I think that could be interpreted a few ways. I think they definitely weren’t shy about play calling but didn’t do it with the prime personal. Boerkircher got a ton of targets yesterday and Thomas had 1. I think they didn’t want to put those plays on film with Thomas.

Kemp and Washington are probably locked in as starters. Who is WR#3 still remains in question. I think the coaches hope Betts steps up. Booner and Coleman both will be in the mix. I can’t see Fleeks doing it because hes basically Kemps backup. Can’t go too small in the B1G. Frost learned too well that you can’t be too small in the B1G. No one disagrees with that. Mickey stated this last year too. Rhule and company will see this too, if they don’t already know.

And I’m sorry but Fleeks wasn’t even on the depth chart @ Baylor last year and he was with the Reds yesterday. So not sure why people are acting like he’s in the top 6 or 8. His yardage at Baylor was in mop up duty. If he plays, it’s likely do to his coach being one of his BFFs and McGuire would do well making Josh REALLY earn playing time!!! McGuire has the most difficult job out of anyone on the staff because he lacks experience, people question the hire as Cronyism and the fish bowl in Lincoln will eat him alive if his unit doesn’t succeed. His first job at a P5 with a massive following could be a bad thing for the young dude.

Gilbert is a difficult read. I could really see Satterfield using him in the back field like he used TE @ SC. I just think his eligibility question mark is leaving the staffs hands tied on getting creative with him.

RB is a toss up. Ervin is fast and big and probably is fantastic in drills. So he’s always high on the staffs mind. But when it comes to game time, kid is a 2 yard back that misreads everything. I question if he has the basic instinct to be a good P5 RB. Grant and RJ have looked the best in games and looked the best yesterday.

CT and Sims will battle for QB. My opinion is Sims takes it. HH and Chubba QB3 and hopefully neither factors this year. HH could use another year in development . Smoothers and Torres needs to rethink their future
Kemp and Washington are proven WR's. They're going to have to find another outside WR to start. The competition still seems wide open as no one grabbed the spot this spring. They're also going to need to come up with at least 6 total WR's to rotate. Kemp, Washington, IGC, Fleeks, and Betts seem like locks. Who else gets in? Coleman? Hahn? Does Coleman have a chance to grab the starting WR spot? It seems possible.

no comment on your fabricated 2 minute drill "quote"?

changing narratives now?

you completely made up a quote to support your extreme bias. right after saying you never embellish.

admit it, own it, get better moving forward. it's what I do & every other person of substance does.
Paraphrased. Not fabricated.

Open the front page freaking story. You lied and got caught.
Lied about what?

In order to paraphrase, you cannot insert your own insinuations

I posted an exact word for word transcription of coach’s statement. You did not.

You completely fabricated a bias-confirming comment & are now trying to move the goalposts

Lied about what?

In order to paraphrase, you cannot insert your own insinuations

I posted an exact word for word transcription of coach’s statement. You did not.
You said Rhule didn’t compliment Chubba and in fact he did. Read the story. I heard that statement yesterday on the radio as well.

You said Rhule didn’t compliment Chubba and in fact he did. Read the story. I heard that statement yesterday on the radio as well.
Stop moving the goalposts & post your proof. Anecdotes won’t cut it. I will pay for a subscription just to read it when you post.

I posted a word for word transcription of coach’s presser where you said the compliment came from & did not see or hear what you claim to have.

Until I see it, you’re lying. Really really pathetic for a guy who “doesn’t embellish anything” (LMAO)

Stop moving the goalposts & post your proof. Anecdotes won’t cut it. I will pay for a subscription just to read it when you post.

I posted a word for word transcription of coach’s presser where you said the compliment came from & did not see or hear what you claim to have.

Until I see it, you’re lying. Really really pathetic for a guy who “doesn’t embellish anything” (LMAO)
You left off Rhule’s comment about Chubba. I’ve already given you the exact quote. You don’t need a link. You’re already in their site. Are you always a prick?

You left off Rhule’s comment about Chubba. I’ve already given you the exact quote. You don’t need a link. You’re already in their site. Are you always a prick?
No I didn’t

I watched the presser multiple times, transcribed the exact statement and posted the video for all to see

Stop lying & show me proof.

Honesty and accountability are important. If calling out liars makes me a prick, so be it. Without it, how could we take you seriously about anything?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT