ADVERTISEMENT

Thoughts on today’s game

I think the odds of Smothers and Purdy both being here next season are close to 0%. I used to think they would keep one of Smothers/Purdy and one of Haarberg/Torres, now I think the
staff may prefer to keep the two young guys if they get their way.
The one word that we've heard 1,000 times from Rhule and his entire staff is "We are a development program."

We've already seen what Logan brings to the table. We've seen most of what Purdy brings to the show. HH has a lot of physical talent, his physical upside towers over the other two. If they can (and they need to) fix his arm slot, get the kid dialed into the offense he can be a force in the future.

He's the one among the three who is designed to be durable.

Two for four 50% on Makable field goals. That won’t cut it especially with a no pressure practice. I’m ready for the Omaha kid to get here.

I only remember 1 punt so can’t evaluate that.

Low and high snaps appear to be a problem again.

Thought receiver #15 had the best game. Reminds me of westernkamp. A possession receiver to get you a first down.

Didn’t see any home run threats out there. Need for Coleman to get here.

Betts looked pretty rusty

Gilbert had a drop on a floating wobbler and the 2nd one off his facemask I think was tipped (ball took an eternity to get there)

whoever #17 (Hahn?) is looked real bad

appears M Washington's inconsistency from last year hasn't been addressed. he is very weak with his hands.
Betts was open twice in the end zone. One time Haarberg under threw the hell out of it late and right into double coverage. The other time Haarberg didn’t even look at him and threw it elsewhere (you couldn’t see that on the broadcast, I was at the game) Washington I believe only didn’t convert one target in which he was well covered…he made 3 nice catches to tie for the lead for the game, including an under thrown sliding catch…with his hands…

Reactions: BleedRed78
Purdy stats at NU:

22-48 (45.8%), 147 yards (3.1 yards/attempt), 0 TDs, 3 INT

24 carries, 73 yards (3 yards/carry)

Stupid or liar: which one are you?
Since third team doesn’t really matter, I’d put in the guy with the most upside.

Thompson/Sims 1A/1B
Torres #3
Ole Miss QB #4
Haarberg, change positions immediately
Purdy and Smothers, turn the lights off on your way out the door

Can purdy transfer again without it costing eligibility?

Same goes for the two likely starters

I think those 3 guys + Haarberg, who Rhule clearly likes, are here for good
Northern Iowa is a good option if they’ll take him

I don’t think we’re gonna be very good after watching that.

We look skinny on both lines and skill positions looks meh.

Hope I’m wrong

• Wow
I don’t think we’re gonna be very good after watching that.

We look skinny on both lines and skill positions looks meh.

Hope I’m wrong
Not sure how good we'll be but both lines looked better. Sirles said the Oline pass pro was improved. I thought BB was noticeably better against good rush ends. Ty Rob being out hurt but Nash not only took on the doubles but pushed into the backfield on a couple of occasions. Then you look at the new guys who showed up yesterday on D and I'm really kinda juiced about the D.

As for the skill positions, Casey not being in there hurt. I saw a dropoff from last year with the receivers, but how often do you get a Trey Palmer? The guy took off the top of every D he faced last year, especially I_wa, as long as Casey was in the game. And this is why I don't make judgements about the offense at this point. Until Casey is fully functional, the offense can't be reasonably assessed. As for RB, I remain convinced that Rahmir and Gabe are our best options while Ajay knocks off the rust.

OTOH, I kinda resent the token use of the FB. First play and not much after that. Gilbert is scaring me. Read in one of the threads that Fidone may have been kept under wraps a bit to reduce film on him. If that's true, not sure how I feel about it. Either way, he's a massive weapon that was deliberately withheld yesterday.

Betts was open twice in the end zone. One time Haarberg under threw the hell out of it late and right into double coverage. The other time Haarberg didn’t even look at him and threw it elsewhere (you couldn’t see that on the broadcast, I was at the game) Washington I believe only didn’t convert one target in which he was well covered…he made 3 nice catches to tie for the lead for the game, including an under thrown sliding catch…with his hands…
here's the deep ball to Betts. ball was there, he stopped running. could've been a touchdown:

• Haha
Reactions: SomedayHusker
Wrong, it was still under thrown..nice try..
nice try?

hit the DB in the chest right on the boundary. Betts keeps running it's a TD.

35 yards to the sideline on a rope. purdy wouldn't even have attempted that throw because he literally cannot.

Obviously we're just going to ignore that it was double coverage. Two plays before he didn't throw it away and took a huge loss.
nobody's ignoring either of those things.

the huge loss while trying to do too much was HH's worst play of the day - should've thrown it away

that's what practice (like the spring game) is for

Reactions: Walleye79
here's the deep ball to Betts. ball was there, he stopped running. could've been a touchdown:

As you know I'm a big HH fan and hoping for the best for him. So I watched that play about 20 times yesterday and I think it was underthrown into double coverage. I didn't consider it a very good throw. If HH had let it go just a half second earlier it might have connected with Betts on the 5. Of if Betts had kept running he might have gotten a jump ball or DPI.

As you know I'm a big HH fan and hoping for the best for him. So I watched that play about 20 times yesterday and I think it was underthrown into double coverage. I didn't consider it a very good throw. If HH had let it go just a half second earlier it might have connected with Betts on the 5. Of if Betts had kept running he might have gotten a jump ball or DPI.
wasn't a perfect throw by any means, but it was the only deep ball of the day thrown by any of the QBs that gave his WR a chance to make a play

Sims threw a couple well over the heads of his intended target, but I think that will take care of itself with 5 more months of reps with his new teammates

If I’m not mistaken, that throw was also into the wind which I believe caused it to be under thrown and a bit inside.

Reactions: king_kong_
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT