ADVERTISEMENT

The West is still winnable

Red_Symptoms

Redshirt Freshman
Oct 30, 2016
I know with our defense this seems laughable.

I'm just saying, there is still a lot to play for this season. I'm hoping Mickey can keep the team motivated and they don't start thinking about the transfer portal.

Of all the teams in the Big 10 West, I believe we have the best offensive talent at the skill positions. Our o-line needs some work.

If Mickey can somehow pull out a miracle out of our defense we can win it. Only Minnesota seems solid. Everyone else has their problems too.

If Mickey wins the West, he wins the coaching gig in my opinion/prediction.

hysterical-laughter.gif

I'm just saying, there is still a lot to play for this season. I'm hoping Mickey can keep the team motivated and they don't start thinking about the transfer portal.

Of all the teams in the Big 10 West, I believe we have the best offensive talent at the skill positions. Our o-line needs some work.

If Mickey can somehow pull out a miracle out of our defense we can win it. Only Minnesota seems solid. Everyone else has their problems too.

I'm not willing to say Minnesota is anymore solid then Purdue. There is a reason I bet those two to win the west and that bet is looking pretty good if I must say so myself.

So you're telling me there's a chance? YEAHHHH!!

Honestly don't care if we win or lose this week (a win would be kinda fun though). I just want to see how the team reacts and if there's any reason to care about the next 8 games. But yeah, the B1G West is "meh."

Obligatory "if MJ wins the west is he the new permanent HC" question.

Kind of like watching a tortoise race. And every bit as exciting.

Reactions: BleedRed78

Interim coaches can turn things around quickly if they've got the right stuff. Especially if the head man was a disaster, which he was. And if we have hidden talent on the team, which I think we do. If Mickey has the right stuff, there's no reason we shouldn't be in the discussion to make a run in-conference.

I'm not willing to say Minnesota is anymore solid then Purdue. There is a reason I bet those two to win the west and that bet is looking pretty good if I must say so myself.
I agree!

both teams are a joke, are terrible, and wouldn’t win the MAC just like the rest of the west (every year)

Is this a joke post?

Our defense guarantees we will not win the West

Never said we would.

That being said, I would like to see Mickey get the most out of this opportunity and not just throw his hands up, say "Welp, this is impossible" and give up on the season. Same with the players.

It would be an amazing story if they actually improved during the season (I know, a novel concept in Husker land the past 20 years) and pulled it off. I would love that and will be rooting for it.

I wonder what the line will be on the Big Ten Championship game? Ohio State vs the first place team in the Big Ten West.

Never said we would.

That being said, I would like to see Mickey get the most out of this opportunity and not just throw his hands up, say "Welp, this is impossible" and give up on the season. Same with the players.

It would be an amazing story if they actually improved during the season (I know, a novel concept in Husker land the past 20 years) and pulled it off. I would love that and will be rooting for it.
Mickey I think will try his hardest. I’m not personally expecting a miracle because interim Cinderella seasons are rare.

I think if Mickey ends up with the job it’s because trev will have observed some intangibles and how he goes about “the process “ and trev will have to punch the “I believe” button rather than base it on some series of miracle wins.

if Mickey follows some basic rules of thumb like get your ball to your playmakers, I expect him and whipple to lean on CT arm and the fleet of WR that they believe are the best talents on the team. I also don’t think radical scheme changes are coming defensively because out of all the thing’s changing in the next several weeks be it approach practice habits weight room whatever, him rebuilding that ship in flight is probably not in his mind.

He could very easily lose his way out of the coaching job if he attempts to change the defense too much and it’s a half dozen games later before that unit starts to get it.

Reactions: NikkiSixx
I think Minnesota and Wisconsin and Purdue are tied as the best teams in the West. The Boilers are about as good as Penn State (Nitts were very fortunate to win that game), and Penn State is an 9-3 or 8-4 type of team.

Just behind those three are the trio of Illinois, Nebraska and Iowa.

And even though they are in first place, I think Northwestern is the worst team in the Big Ten.

Reactions: moralvictories

Not by Nebraska this yr. No chance in hell. Maybe next yr. with a new competent coach. I have almost no confidence in the leadership at Nebraska to pick a meaningful coach. It'll be a first time head coach from Conference USA that's been in that conference 2-3 yrs.

Agree that if Mickey can win the West, he should get the gig because that is something two previous HC could not do.

Fix the Defense to just average and it will put us in a position to challenge for the West. There are playmakers on Offense that can move the chains and put up points. We are statistically at the bottom in all Defensive categories. This has to improve.

I think Minnesota and Wisconsin and Purdue are tied as the best teams in the West. The Boilers are about as good as Penn State (Nitts were very fortunate to win that game), and Penn State is an 9-3 or 8-4 type of team.

Just behind those three are the trio of Illinois, Nebraska and Iowa.

And even though they are in first place, I think Northwestern is the worst team in the Big Ten.
Penn st is 1 game over .500 since the start of 2020 (0-1 vs Nebraska)

you B1G fans need to update your talking points

Penn st is as avg as it gets

Not nearly as much as what the Alabama & Georgia odds are to win their divisions and their games.
The point spread on an Alabama vs Georgia SEC Championship would probably be close to even. My question was how much would Ohio State be favored over the Big Ten West representative in the Big Ten Championship game? Probably somewhere close to 3 touchdowns?

The point spread on an Alabama vs Georgia SEC Championship would probably be close to even. My question was how much would Ohio State be favored over the Big Ten West representative in the Big Ten Championship game? Probably somewhere close to 3 touchdowns?
Ohiost will be favored by at least 2 TDs over whichever team wins the west in the B1G title game

you know, just like every season

There’s no such thing as a “Big Ten fan.” There are only fans of teams that are in the Big Ten Conference. And that includes you, however weird and self-hating you choose to be. 😂

There’s no such thing as a “Big Ten fan.” There are only fans of teams that are in the Big Ten Conference. And that includes you, however weird and self-hating you choose to be. 😂

Well, I will usually root for Big Ten teams over other conferences. But that is just secondary self-interest.

For example, I will hold my nose and root for Penn State over Auburn on Saturday.

Maybe I'm getting soft on the Nits living in central PA... but in fairness to them 2020 was obviously a weird year and injuries killed them last year.

They recruited a highly ranked QB and a couple of very talented running backs. They'll be fine if they can recruit some o-line. I'll put them in for 9-3 or 10-2 this year with a possible new year's bowl. Since I live here I do follow them somewhat and must say they are in a much better spot than we are as a program. Franklin may be a clown but I'd kill to have the talent he recruits...

Well, I will usually root for Big Ten teams over other conferences. But that is just secondary self-interest.

For example, I will hold my nose and root for Penn State over Auburn on Saturday.
@Fighter of the Nightman just one post later and a B1G fan emerges

of course there are B1G fans. if not, this league would be worth peanuts & nobody would have ever heard of the rose bowl since it's the most inconsequential "big game" in all of sports

I root for Nebraska and hope all other b1g teams go winless while suffering the most horrendous luck possible

@Fighter of the Nightman just one post later and a B1G fan emerges

of course there are B1G fans. if not, this league would be worth peanuts & nobody would have ever heard of the rose bowl since it's the most inconsequential "big game" in all of sports

I root for Nebraska and hope all other b1g teams go winless while suffering the most horrendous luck possible

I root for Nebraska to win all its OOC games and for you to catch the crabs.

Reactions: zrob and shizzle06
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT