ADVERTISEMENT

B10 West is Garbage: We Can Still Win This Division

I don't disagree with you but it's not like we have tons of guys who have had even that one big play. Are you saying that he can't redeem himself no matter what just because he showed up out of shape? I think it's pretty unlikely that he's some hidden gem but Grant sucks and everyone else is hurt so yeah - get him more carries and see what happens.
It just seems like some guy makes a play or two that were unexpected and he is anointed the next star in the making. Similar to what happens at spring games. So you are saying he is.better than Grant based on one play? If thr narrative was to play HH to get him some experience for the future then why does that not also apply to our young RBs?.

Reactions: mgbreis
It just seems like some guy makes a play or two that were unexpected and he is anointed the next star in the making. Similar to what happens at spring games. So you are saying he is.better than Grant based on one play? If thr narrative was to play HH to get him some experience for the future then why does that not also apply to our young RBs?.
No, I agree that anointing someone based on a play or two is stupid. Similarly, I think it's silly to not get a better look at someone who did something explosive when we don't really have many guys doing similar stuff. I don't know if Fleeks is better than Grant but I know Grant hurts the team more often that he helps it.

Fleeks took a handoff and did something in one play that Grant never does - he got north and south fast, made a decisive move through a hole and took it to the house while outrunning everyone in the secondary. Yeah, let's get a better look. My narrative on HH is to play him right now because he's better than Sims.

Bowl game should be the focus. It’s what this team needs, and it’s within reach thanks to the pathetic schedule.

Need to go 4-3. Can have only 3 more losses. Maryland seems like a certain L. Wisc is a likely L. I could see them winning any of the other 5 games. But could they win 4 out of the 5? Possible, but not likely. They would have to be better for the latter half of the season.

The same guy who came in overweight and out of shape a mind was sent home? The guy with one big play/carry that now defines his legacy? That guy?
I don't know what all you are talking about.. I just know that when his name was brought up, I went out and pulled up his Baylor film/highlights, and he's a difference maker. I don't know why it's taken so long to get him involved in the offense, but you saw it against Michigan. His Baylor film is full of good plays as a RB and receiver. I don't care if he's overweight or whatever the issue is you are talking about. We need to get playmakers the ball period.

Last edited:
No, I agree that anointing someone based on a play or two is stupid. Similarly, I think it's silly to not get a better look at someone who did something explosive when we don't really have many guys doing similar stuff. I don't know if Fleeks is better than Grant but I know Grant hurts the team more often that he helps it.

Fleeks took a handoff and did something in one play that Grant never does - he got north and south fast, made a decisive move through a hole and took it to the house while outrunning everyone in the secondary. Yeah, let's get a better look. My narrative on HH is to play him right now because he's better than Sims.
100% agree

Grant will never win us a game on his own like he lost us the opener

I don't know what all you are talking about.. I just know that when his name was brought up, I went out and pulled up his Baylor film/highlights, and he's a difference maker. I don't know why it's taken so long to get him involved in the offense, but you saw it against Michigan. His Baylor film is full of good plays as a RB and receiver. I don't care if he's overweight or whatever the issue is you are talking about. We need to get playmakers the ball period.

You know who else looked a little chubby? That Smoke Harris guy from LaT. Dude could play. I get making an example of Fleeks if he came in out of shape, new coach gotta set a standard. But those highlights look pretty damn good.

One of my favorite things is when you find a guy and figure out how to use him by thinking outside the box and it makes a difference. Seems like we haven't done much of that lately. Hopefully Rhule does more of it. There HAS to be more production in this roster that we just haven't found yet.

I don't disagree with you but it's not like we have tons of guys who have had even that one big play. Are you saying that he can't redeem himself no matter what just because he showed up out of shape? I think it's pretty unlikely that he's some hidden gem but Grant sucks and everyone else is hurt so yeah - get him more carries and see what happens.
Actually, coming in overweight will help him play running back as opposed to wide receiver. Turning a negative into a positive, The Nebraska Way!

• Haha
Actually, coming in overweight will help him play running back as opposed to wide receiver. Turning a negative into a positive, The Nebraska Way!
He was forced to make weight so he could practice

He was overweight to start fall camp 2 months ago

Old irrelevant news

It boils down to whether Nebraska gets better as the season goes on. They really have not done that in recent years. In fact, most of the past 8 seasons, NU has limped to the finish line - never having developed or improved along the way. With a new coaching staff, we can hope NU will get better in October and November - at least until proven otherwise.

Friday's game certainly could shape the rest of the season. Win that, and NU gets a bye week, followed by the probably the softest stretch of conference games we've seen in a long time. I'm not including Maryland in that stretch. But a win at Illinois could certainly propel NU to a 6-3 record heading into the last 3 weeks of the season.

It's a great opportunity for NU...please, please, please take advantage.
Yes

Well, did Friday’s win change anyone’s perspective on the seaso?

I'd say if anything, the OP's thread title is even more accurate than ever. The B1G West is still garbage (maybe even worse than we originally thought) and we can still win this division. That was some really bad football last night. Almost unwatchable at times. Thankfully, we were less bad than they were. No reason to think we can't continue that.

After Ill, the remaining games in terms of win probability
NW - should win
MSU - should win
PU/Iowa - both at home, NU should be slightly favored
Maryland - NU has them at home, should be in the game if the offense trends up
Wisconsin - will be hard to win at Camp Randall
Might only take 5 wins in conference to win the West this year.

Everybody stinks and will lose most games against the East. You are being honest in admitting Maryland is probably the 4th best team in the conference, and will be 4th in the East.

We aren't a pretty team, but there will not be a pretty team that shows up in Indianapolis playing for the B10 title come December from the West. Why not us?

Reactions: BleedRed78
Well I wish we could/would win it but the reality is I think Wisconsin wins it this final season of B1G Divisions. Just being real about it.
That's who I think will win the West. But very little chance they win it all.

Wisconsin/Iowa on Saturday is a definitive game for control of the West. The Badgers have one likely loss left on the schedule and can have a one loss league finish if they beat Iowa. Iowa potentially sets up the same if they can beat Iowa. If NU were to win out, they would have two losses in league but would own the tie breaker against Iowa and Wisconsin. NU has a chance, but will have to most likely run the table.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT