ADVERTISEMENT

The longer this goes on the worse it will be

No.

We took a program that averaged MORE than nine wins a year of seven years in a row. I believe we were one of only a few programs to do that over that span. We decided ( and I agreed) that that was''t enough. Nine wins was our floor, we wanted to get better.

Now we are quite possibly looking at two losing seasons out of three. We lost at home to a MAC school for the first time since God knows when. We have lost 7 of our last 12 games and we just fired our AD. Good luck recruiting while everybody in the country things you are canned once the new AD is hired. And let's be honest, the new AD is not gonna pin his career on keeping Riley around for more than another year and every recruit will know that. This program is rotting as is.
Possibly looking at a losing season. Maybe. The season isn't even close to over yet and you're in a manic panic wanting to can Riley. We lost one game we weren't picked to lose by EVERYBODY mostly based on a new QB and the move to the 3-4. IMO, we lost that extra game because of those two factors. Clearly QB was a big problem against NIU. That seems to be getting better so relax and try to enjoy the rest of the season. It'll be over before you know it and maybe you'll get your way.

Possibly looking at a losing season. Maybe. The season isn't even close to over yet and you're in a manic panic wanting to can Riley. We lost one game we weren't picked to lose by EVERYBODY mostly based on a new QB and the move to the 3-4. IMO, we lost that extra game because of those two factors. Clearly QB was a big problem against NIU. That seems to be getting better so relax and try to enjoy the rest of the season. It'll be over before you know it and maybe you'll get your way.
I'm not in a panic. Riley deserves to be fired, but that's not my call. If he stays, he stays. That would suck for us, but so be it.

That's the problem. We were supposed to lose to a team that lost 8 games last year and fired their coach. Why, in year three, are we making excuses about new quarterbacks and new defense and losing to a team that lost 8 games and has a new staff? And a program that consistently won 9 games a year should not be losing at home to a MAC school in year three of what was supposed to be an upgrade. And that loss is not some freak loss. We barely beat Ark St and Rutgers. Basically we are on their level.

Why are we in year three and starting over on defense? the head coach had a chance to do this three years ago, now he sets us backwards again because his initial hire was not good enough. Riley was marketed as the QB whisperer. Why was the last guy, who was not good, able to win with multiple new QBs?

This program has not made any progress on the field since we fired the last guy. We are worse.

I'm not in a panic. Riley deserves to be fired, but that's not my call. If he stays, he stays. That would suck for us, but so be it.

That's the problem. We were supposed to lose to a team that lost 8 games last year and fired their coach. Why, in year three, are we making excuses about new quarterbacks and new defense and losing to a team that lost 8 games and has a new staff? And a program that consistently won 9 games a year should not be losing at home to a MAC school in year three of what was supposed to be an upgrade. And that loss is not some freak loss. We barely beat Ark St and Rutgers. Basically we are on their level.

Why are we in year three and starting over on defense? the head coach had a chance to do this three years ago, now he sets us backwards again because his initial hire was not good enough. Riley was marketed as the QB whisperer. Why was the last guy, who was not good, able to win with multiple new QBs?

This program has not made any progress on the field since we fired the last guy. We are worse.
Well for starters Beck and Watson were not bad OCs despite all the hate they got. I posted multiple times that I would be fine with getting rid of Pelini mid season and naming Beck the HC. We started over on D because boosters, fans and Billy Devany demanded it. So now you're pissed and going to make everybody miserable around you with your constant whining about something you have no control over. Gotcha.

Well for starters Beck and Watson were not bad OCs despite all the hate they got. I posted multiple times that I would be fine with getting rid of Pelini mid season and naming Beck the HC. We started over on D because boosters, fans and Billy Devany demanded it. So now you're pissed and going to make everybody miserable around you with your constant whining about something you have no control over. Gotcha.
I just mentioned I'm not panicked. I'm not pissed either. I really enjoy the debates here, it's fun to discuss a hobby with people who disagree.

So, our coach can't even make staff decisions on his own, but you want him to stay.

Read your post. Who's whining?

You post about things you have no control over as well. Kind of the point here. I don't see how my opinion makes anybody miserable. If you can't stand a differing opinion, you might want to rethink this whole message board thing. It's pretty much what it's here for, expressing differing opinions.

I just mentioned I'm not panicked. I'm not pissed either. I really enjoy the debates here, it's fun to discuss a hobby with people who disagree.

So, our coach can't even make staff decisions on his own, but you want him to stay.

Read your post. Who's whining?

You post about things you have no control over as well. Kind of the point here. I don't see how my opinion makes anybody miserable. If you can't stand a differing opinion, you might want to rethink this whole message board thing. It's pretty much what it's here for, expressing differing opinions.
I post about things I have no control over but I don't get my tit in a wringer like you do..You're clearly angry about the situation and repeatedly express that anger. I have said from day one that I thought Riley was pressured in to getting rid of Banker. i also think we would probably have beat Oregon and NIU with Banker as our DC. I want Riley to stay IF he wins enough. And finally constant negativity makes everyone miserable. You crossed the debate line in to just bitching long ago.

Reactions: Pennsyhusker
I post about things I have no control over but I don't get my tit in a wringer like you do..You're clearly angry about the situation and repeatedly express that anger. I have said from day one that I thought Riley was pressured in to getting rid of Banker. i also think we would probably have beat Oregon and NIU with Banker as our DC. I want Riley to stay IF he wins enough. And finally constant negativity makes everyone miserable. You crossed the debate line in to just bitching long ago.
Banker was a bad DC his defenses were always torched by Oregon including last year. NIU had 7points and 213 yards on the defense that loss was very clearly in Langdorfs and Riley's offenses lap.

If he wins enough? I hope enough is at least as much as the guy that we fired for not winning enough.

I'm far from angry over this. I just enjoy debating with you guys. At some point, I am hoping you can justify keeping a coach that is failing miserably at meeting the standards he was hired to accomplish.

Thus far, these debates have been very enjoyable and enlightening. I'm sorry you don't feel the same.

Banker was a bad DC his defenses were always torched by Oregon including last year. NIU had 7points and 213 yards on the defense that loss was very clearly in Langdorfs and Riley's offenses lap.
Exactly. Banker had to go. And Riley sure didn't speak like someone who was pressured into firing him. He was clearly very excited when he got Diaco. If he was pressured into firing Banker and really wanted to keep him, I highly doubt he would have fired Banker over the phone as he did. It was RILEY who wanted to move quickly on Diaco.

If he wins enough? I hope enough is at least as much as the guy that we fired for not winning enough.

I'm far from angry over this. I just enjoy debating with you guys. At some point, I am hoping you can justify keeping a coach that is failing miserably at meeting the standards he was hired to accomplish.

Thus far, these debates have been very enjoyable and enlightening. I'm sorry you don't feel the same.
You asked for reasons why Riley should be retained? Unlike dingle I don't think money should be an issue. Because if Riley really is not the right guy he will end up costing us a lot more money with lost revenue and empty seats.

I focus instead on continuity in recruiting and in system. We can't afford yet another lost year in recruiting. And we do have some quality commits this year with probably more on the way, but are waiting to see what happens to Riley. There is also the issue of continuity in our defensive and offensive systems. We have all been pointing out that what makes Wisconsin good is that they have now had the same system for a long time. Well... that takes time and you will never achieve it if you are constantly changing coaches. If we hire Frost and he wants to install an Oregon type offense, does he have a QB for that on our roster? Probably not. So you are talking then of a two year transition at the least.

Ok... all that said, barring a miraculous turn around I favor firing Riley. Why? Because I don't like his offensive system and his teams are not physical enough to coach in the B1G. Those two items are related. Gary DiNardo of the BTN said two years ago that watching a Nebraska practice was like watching a PAC 12 practice. Not very physical. Now I know DiNardo is a bit of an idiot, but his remarks are telling. Add his remarks to Banker's famous slip "Man, Iowa's practices must be a bloodbath" and you get an image of a soft, non physical team.

And that softness showed up last week again. I want Nebraska to return to this one aspect of its past: physicalness. And I don't think Riley is the coach for that style.

This is also why I am intrigued by Scott Frost. It is simply false to accuse those of us who want Frost of a false nostalgia. What I want, as I said, is a return to a very physical style of playing. Does not have to be "power football" per se, just more physicalness and strength and aggressiveness. Frost knows what it takes to be that kind of football team. Or so it would seem. But I would be happy with any coach who knows how to instill that kind of a football culture. Riley just does not have that kind of football in his coaching DNA.

Last edited:
But you have to remember...none of the talking heads know anything...unless they are telling us that Tanner Lee is going to be the first pick in the first round.
Exactly. Love how people cherry pick quotes from the talking heads. As I said, I don't look to DiNardo as some kind of first rate analyst. But the dude was a coach in multiple venues and, even if he was not that good of a coach, can at least be viewed as a reliable observer of various aspects of the game. My guess is that his observation about our practices was accurate. It would explain why, in year three, we still lack a physical style of play.

No.

We took a program that averaged MORE than nine wins a year of seven years in a row. I believe we were one of only a few programs to do that over that span. We decided ( and I agreed) that that was''t enough. Nine wins was our floor, we wanted to get better.

Now we are quite possibly looking at two losing seasons out of three. We lost at home to a MAC school for the first time since God knows when. We have lost 7 of our last 12 games and we just fired our AD. Good luck recruiting while everybody in the country things you are canned once the new AD is hired. And let's be honest, the new AD is not gonna pin his career on keeping Riley around for more than another year and every recruit will know that. This program is rotting as is.

The program was a joke and laughing stock to people outside the state of Nebraska. Step outside your little fantasy land and wake up to reality. And take the 9 wins and shove it. Pelini can thank God Ameer had miracle runs against South Dakota and hail Mary wins against Northwestern to keep you in lala land.

The program was a joke and laughing stock to people outside the state of Nebraska. Step outside your little fantasy land and wake up to reality. And take the 9 wins and shove it. Pelini can thank God Ameer had miracle runs against South Dakota and hail Mary wins against Northwestern to keep you in lala land.

This is true. It's even worse now under Riley.

Exactly. Love how people cherry pick quotes from the talking heads. As I said, I don't look to DiNardo as some kind of first rate analyst. But the dude was a coach in multiple venues and, even if he was not that good of a coach, can at least be viewed as a reliable observer of various aspects of the game. My guess is that his observation about our practices was accurate. It would explain why, in year three, we still lack a physical style of play.
Well maybe I'm "announcer cherry picking" here too but Glen Mason and Les Miles undertones scream incompetence in the staff during our broadcasts. People criticize them as well but those guys know what they're looking at.

Hey genius, that "joke" program won 9 or 10 games every year. Every single year for seven years. Not TO or Devaney great but wayyyyyy better than what we have now. If you get your calculator you'll see that losing seasons don't win that many games. Really!

Sadly, "you" are the on one in lala land. Two losing seasons in three years is "progress" to you folks. Results simply don't matter, right?

Lastly, take your 6 wins and shove it.

Reactions: MikeRileyGBR
Well maybe I'm "announcer cherry picking" here too but Glen Mason and Les Miles undertones scream incompetence in the staff during our broadcasts. People criticize them as well but those guys know what they're looking at.
Actually, Glen Mason was a very good coach. Made both Kansas and Minnesota respectable bowl teams using a run oriented offensive philosophy. I like him. He always has nice things to say about Nebraska.

Reactions: StrongArm517
I live outside of Nebraska. Nebraska has never been a bigger joke than it is now.

Reactions: GBR_Atlanta
Hey genius, that "joke" program won 9 or 10 games every year. Every single year for seven years. Not TO or Devaney great but wayyyyyy better than what we have now. If you get your calculator you'll see that losing seasons don't win that many games. Really!

Sadly, "you" are the on one in lala land. Two losing seasons in three years is "progress" to you folks. Results simply don't matter, right?

Lastly, take your 6 wins and shove it.
Come on guys...I know there are people that love Bo so 9 wins is amazing and I know there are people that love Riley so 3-3 is amazing but can't we just agree and admit that both coaches need(ed) to go?

Nope, you have several posters still attached to Bo's nuts. There's a couple in this thread, see if you can pick those brilliant individuals out.

Well we had the talking heads laughing at us for being 7-0 last year so I wouldn't be too proud of your fantasy land either.

Actually, Glen Mason was a very good coach. Made both Kansas and Minnesota respectable bowl teams using a run oriented offensive philosophy. I like him. He always has nice things to say about Nebraska.
Totally agree. Said on another thread that Mason is no dummy. Anybody who can take Kansas to #10 has something going for him. Did a good job with gophers too until a debacle with Texas Tech seemed to derail him.

Reactions: Pennsyhusker
It's not just 1 game. We should expect to beat Wisconsin and Oregon too. They're not great teams and there's no reason we shouldn't be able to beat them in year 3.

Reactions: huskerfan1414
I also live outside of Nebraska. And people here in PA think we are a total joke. A has been program

It's tough being an NU fan out of state right now.

Pennsy, I see what you're saying about our O and D systems, and not wanting to start that process over. I've been back and forth on that too. For me, it all comes back to just flat out not believing this staff can develop players enough to be successful. I'm trying to stay positive...but damn...this year is tough.

It also doesn't help that I hate the pro-style and think it's boring and too difficult to recruit...but I suppose that's for another thread. @Pennsyhusker

It's tough being an NU fan out of state right now.

Pennsy, I see what you're saying about our O and D systems, and not wanting to start that process over. I've been back and forth on that too. For me, it all comes back to just flat out not believing this staff can develop players enough to be successful. I'm trying to stay positive...but damn...this year is tough.

It also doesn't help that I hate the pro-style and think it's boring and too difficult to recruit...but I suppose that's for another thread. @Pennsyhusker
Agree. I don't think Riley can develop a physical team. I have reluctantly concluded he needs to go

Reactions: jlb321
Well we had the talking heads laughing at us for being 7-0 last year so I wouldn't be too proud of your fantasy land either.

No sh*t. Anyone outside the state of Nebraska could look at the talent level and shake their heads. Nebraska is a ways from being relevant.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT