ADVERTISEMENT

The longer this goes on the worse it will be

SnohomishRed

Offensive Coordinator
Jan 31, 2005
Snohomish
NU is in a really bad spot which is what I feared would happen.

Mr Rogers isn't cutting it and even though everyone knows that, firing him mid season makes NU look like a program with unreasonable expectations again. On the flip side if we keep him til the end of the season, recruiting is pointless and whoever they do get we may not even want, players get beat up even more and the program continues to slide.

There are no right answers here, Perlman and his meddling and bad decisions by TO have led this program to the brink of irrelevancy. The next hire for AD and a HC will most likely be the last shot this program has to come back if it's not too late already.

Just because Riley didn't do any recruiting in his first couple months doesn't mean the next guy won't. You don't automatically lose an entire class when you fire a coach, not to mention the fact that it's only 11 dudes anyways.

This staff hasn't been developing the current players, which many came to NU as high recruits. Good recruiting doesn't excite me if I don't have faith in a coaching staff that can develop them. It's time to spend the money and get a coach in here. If it's Frost, fine. @Archie Graham said something a couple weeks ago about the next hire could be the most important in the history of the program...and I completely agree.

I don't see what this would accomplish. We can be making our deals behind the scenes but lets not be out there firing a "nice guy"
That's probably true. And I don't want an LSU situation. I'd definitely prefer to keep him until the end of the year.

Mr Rogers isn't cutting it and even though everyone knows that, firing him mid season makes NU look like a program with unreasonable expectations again. On the flip side if we keep him til the end of the season, recruiting is pointless and whoever they do get we may not even want, players get beat up even more and the program continues to slide.

There are no right answers here, Perlman and his meddling and bad decisions by TO have led this program to the brink of irrelevancy. The next hire for AD and a HC will most likely be the last shot this program has to come back if it's not too late already.
Nahhhh. He's here until the end of the year. It's as it should be. Nothing is gained by letting him go now.

Reactions: huskerssalts

Reasonable expectations?

Smilin Mike will be lucky to finish 5-7

I'm a UCF fan and casual Nebraska fan. NU needs to move quickly and get someone who can turn things around quickly. The longer NU kind of wallows, the less attractive the position becomes. The Solich situation doesn't help. Urban Meyer even pointed out that when approached by NU, they idea that they fired a 10 win coach really turned him off to the whole idea.

I hate to lose Coach Frost, but we all know its coming eventually. Do whatever you need to do to get him, because he may be the only realistic option to save Nebraska football right now.

Now that I think about, firing Riley right now is bad idea if you want Frost. The second Riley is gone, the media will turn up the heat on Frost. Scott Frost is not a guy who will welcome the questions and distractions. He also doesn't play games. If backed into a corner to answer midway through the season, he is likely to just say, "I will not be NU's next HC." And Frost isn't Saban. He won't dance around with "we'll see at the end of the season stuff."

If you really want Frost, wait until after the season.

I don't see what the hurry is...let the season play out.
However if Arizona state and tenn fire their coaches mid season you better think about it...not just for frost but to be sure the right coach is found.

Wow you guys get worse and worse, Jesus. The fire Riley talk to start with but now it’s got to this point, some are bitching it isn’t happening quick enough? IF, that’s a IF, Rileys fired at al, it will be after the seasons over with. We will already look kinda bad in a lot of coaches eyes out there for firing a HC with only 3 seasons to rebuild a program. But to rush it and do it now, would be just stupid. There’s no reason at all to rush this. Hell we do not even have our AD yet. One thing Riley is doing good, recruiting. This season looks like a wash already so wth? Let him finish the season out, sign what ever top tier talent recruits we can sign that enrolls early and at season end, if he gets canned then hire a coach ASAP and try and save the recruits we got that stayed committed after the initial firing. And bust ass to fill remaining spots. This is as far as I’m taking this. I’m one that feels Riley deserves 2 more years minimum. 5-6 years should ALWAYS be the golden standard.

Hated Bo but a perennial 9 win team is not a rebuild. Bo was fired ostensibly for not winning big games. Riley is not only failing to win big games he is also losing to inferior opponents. He is not even up to Bo standards and Bo wasn't good enough.
"9 win team" is pretty ambiguous. 9 win as in Minnesota/BYU/USM/Oregon State or 9 win like 2008-2010 Nebraska?

Hated Bo but a perennial 9 win team is not a rebuild. Bo was fired ostensibly for not winning big games. Riley is not only failing to win big games he is also losing to inferior opponents. He is not even up to Bo standards and Bo wasn't good enough.

My dear lord, your blind. My bad my man. :(

Joking, lol. But no honestly, there’s no way you haven’t seen the monster holes Bo had on our roster and how much Riley had to repair our depth or lack there of. No pass Rush DE, no depth at all at LB, 1 scholly QB and so on just to name a few. Bo did manage 9 wins a season but if he survived that last year he got fired, we’d seen Bo loss more and get worse every season after that because he was horrible at recruiting and we had shit depth and talent in certain areas..

Wow you guys get worse and worse, Jesus. The fire Riley talk to start with but now it’s got to this point, some are bitching it isn’t happening quick enough? IF, that’s a IF, Rileys fired at al, it will be after the seasons over with. We will already look kinda bad in a lot of coaches eyes out there for firing a HC with only 3 seasons to rebuild a program. But to rush it and do it now, would be just stupid. There’s no reason at all to rush this. Hell we do not even have our AD yet. One thing Riley is doing good, recruiting. This season looks like a wash already so wth? Let him finish the season out, sign what ever top tier talent recruits we can sign that enrolls early and at season end, if he gets canned then hire a coach ASAP and try and save the recruits we got that stayed committed after the initial firing. And bust ass to fill remaining spots. This is as far as I’m taking this. I’m one that feels Riley deserves 2 more years minimum. 5-6 years should ALWAYS be the golden standard.
Do you really believe top recruits will sign with a coach who is on the hot seat - really?? I think we need to come back to reality a bit here

Reactions: Pennsyhusker
I agreed with you until the 5-6 year part. 3-9 4-8 5-7. These records get you fired at blue blood programs unless there is absolute proof that things are turning the corner. Do you see the program turning a corner? I don't. Theres a decent recruiting class being built which is great. But what about after that? More pass happy play calling? More blown assignments? Dropped passes? There are areas where talent is a problem. However the biggest problems are coaching motivation and accountability. Great coaches do not let that happen.

I will never understand "let's give him two more years" crowd. However I do not see any reason to fire Riley until Saturday, November 25, 2017. I've written this before, recruits can read. They know the lay of the land. They all know Riley is in trouble. This is a "Huge" if, but if the Huskers hire a good coach, good recruiting will follow.

Somewhere on this board someone tried to justify giving Riley 2 more years because it took Tom (per this writer) 7 years to get going. What an asinine remark. In Tom's first 7 season his teams beat 16 ranked teams (6 Top Ten). The Huskers lost to 11 ranked teams during this same period (10 Top Ten, 1-7 against those darn Okie Sooners) His record was 65-18-2. I challenge anybody to cherry pick Riley's 7 best seasons. I did. His 7 best seasons over 16 complete seasons. Riley finished 62-30. His teams during these 7 best seasons beat less ranked schools, 11 (2 Top Ten) and lost to more ranked schools, 14 (6 Top Ten) His seven best seasons! He coached 7 more games during these seasons and still didn't win as many games as Tom's first seven seasons. Tom wins the percentage race too. 76.5% to 67.4%

These are Riley's 7 best seasons over a career compared to Tom's FIRST 7 seasons as a head coach. Stop it. Quit trying to diminish Tom's record. It will never be equaled at Nebraska so we must look to future to find a good coach so once again the Huskers can compete with the best teams in the Big Ten and then maybe on the national level.

Last edited:
I'm a UCF fan and casual Nebraska fan. NU needs to move quickly and get someone who can turn things around quickly. The longer NU kind of wallows, the less attractive the position becomes. The Solich situation doesn't help. Urban Meyer even pointed out that when approached by NU, they idea that they fired a 10 win coach really turned him off to the whole idea.

I hate to lose Coach Frost, but we all know its coming eventually. Do whatever you need to do to get him, because he may be the only realistic option to save Nebraska football right now.

100% agree sir. After four years of Clownahan and three years of MR....we simply "must" get good HC ASAP. We're just wasting time thinking fluffy Beaver ball is going to turn the ship around. For now, the ship isn't turning......it's only sinking.

It's really the only realistic hope we have. 60 year old MR, who never won anything his whole career is going to magically turn into V. Lombardi any moment now? I really, really doubt it.

Yeah, being a "nice guy" is nice. But we need a LOT more than that.

Reactions: Ahauth
My dear lord, your blind. My bad my man. :(

Joking, lol. But no honestly, there’s no way you haven’t seen the monster holes Bo had on our roster and how much Riley had to repair our depth or lack there of. No pass Rush DE, no depth at all at LB, 1 scholly QB and so on just to name a few. Bo did manage 9 wins a season but if he survived that last year he got fired, we’d seen Bo loss more and get worse every season after that because he was horrible at recruiting and we had shit depth and talent in certain areas..

I saw it all man, but a year three loss to NIU is solely on the ineffectiveness of Riley. Bo should have been fire and now we can all agree Riley needs to be let go as well.

PS We still have no rush DE.

Does the recent resignation of Gary Anderson signal he is coming? The fact he forfeited 12.6 million indicates he has something already on his plate. He would be a good fit.

100% agree sir. After four years of Clownahan and three years of MR....we simply "must" get good HC ASAP. We're just wasting time thinking fluffy Beaver ball is going to turn the ship around. For now, the ship isn't turning......it's only sinking.

It's really the only realistic hope we have. 60 year old MR, who never won anything his whole career is going to magically turn into V. Lombardi any moment now? I really, really doubt it.

Yeah, being a "nice guy" is nice. But we need a LOT more than that.

I now find myself disagreeing with...myself. :D I'm not sure Nebraska is truly wallowing. It's just been up and down, not multiple years of 6-6. 9-4 last year, 6-7 the year before, but a bunch of 9 and 10 win seasons before that. I don't follow closely enough to know if there are other factors here besides the head coach. Did a bunch of players graduate at the same time? Is the team just young? Stuff like that.

It really looks like the biggest issue up until this year was not being able to beat the elite in the Big 10.

Will get any worse if we keep Riley til the end of the season? No, I don't want Langsdork or Diaco in charge. We have already seen what a dumpster fire Diaco was a head coach. We all know Riley is gone at the end of the season, no matter what at this point,

I saw it all man, but a year three loss to NIU is solely on the ineffectiveness of Riley. Bo should have been fire and now we can all agree Riley needs to be let go as well.

PS We still have no rush DE.

Wasting scholarships on receivers.

Does the recent resignation of Gary Anderson signal he is coming? The fact he forfeited 12.6 million indicates he has something already on his plate. He would be a good fit.

Gary Anderson has a screw loose. He might be mentally ill.

Will get any worse if we keep Riley til the end of the season? No, I don't want Langsdork or Diaco in charge. We have already seen what a dumpster fire Diaco was a head coach. We all know Riley is gone at the end of the season, no matter what at this point,
If we are going to fire him we should do it after OSU kills us. No need to keep everyone hanging. Get it over with and move on.
If we are going to keep him no matter how this season plays out then say so. No need to keep everyone hanging. Get it over with and build for next year.
If we are going to wait the whole season to see how it plays out it is just stupid. The season is already a bust. A blind dog can see what kind of team we have. There is enough evidence already to make an informed decision one way or the other.
As my dad says: shit or get off the pot

If we are going to fire him we should do it after OSU kills us. No need to keep everyone hanging. Get it over with and move on.
If we are going to keep him no matter how this season plays out then say so. No need to keep everyone hanging. Get it over with and build for next year.
If we are going to wait the whole season to see how it plays out it is just stupid. The season is already a bust. A blind dog can see what kind of team we have. There is enough evidence already to make an informed decision one way or the other.

Presser on Sunday or Monday?

Here is my problem with that plan. Even with an Ohio St beat down, what has happened since Eichorst was fired that wasn't expected? Everyone expected losses to Wisconsin and Ohio St, right? So if the decision is made to fire him after Ohio St, they were essentially saying that beating Wisconsin and/or Ohio St was the only way for Riley to keep his job for the rest of the year.

No offense, but I could have told you that we weren't going to win those games. So if you were going to make a mid-season change, why wait? Why not just fire him when they fired Eichorst?

By not firing him after Northern Illinois game, they gave him the rest of the season.

I agree, but who is going to get that interim tag, I don't like our choices of anyone on the current coaching staff. I am hoping this small class of recruits doesn't fall apart.

Here is my problem with that plan. Even with an Ohio St beat down, what has happened since Eichorst was fired that wasn't expected? Everyone expected losses to Wisconsin and Ohio St, right? So if the decision is made to fire him after Ohio St, they were essentially saying that beating Wisconsin and/or Ohio St was the only way for Riley to keep his job for the rest of the year.

No offense, but I could have told you that we weren't going to win those games. So if you were going to make a mid-season change, why wait? Why not just fire him when they fired Eichorst?

By not firing him after Northern Illinois game, they gave him the rest of the season.
agreed

Right but the Wisky game was telling. At home, night game, big fan support, and Riley comes out with a great scripted/executed 1st drive on offense.

Then what? The ol' crap pass into the flat to a stone-handed RB, tipped, pick-6 and momentum goes out of the stadium

What should have been a higher scoring thriller people would have enjoyed watching ends up being an inevitable beat down as Wisky bides their time until the OL starts pounding Nebraska mercilessly.

So have we seen enough yet? Oh yea, tOSU is coming to town, hell bent on making the Playoffs, after their early 1 loss. This should be fun to watch.

I am not going to be watching. No thanks. I have had enough. Call me a bad fan or whatever but at least I don't have to gag once or twice during the evening's events

You are correct to a point. Not firing him after NIU gave him time. But in wanting to see how things played out I think they wanted to look at more than wins and losses. I think they also wanted to see if there is progress. To see if we can be competitive despite our slow start. So sure, losing to Wisky and OSU is expected, but HOW did we lose? My scenario is assuming that OSU utterly annihilates us like last year. It is no shame losing to either Wisconsin or OSU. But we were humiliated by a good, but not great, Wisconsin team in the second half under the lights at home. And if we lose to OSU by 50 or more again it would be a powerful sign that last year's beat down was no fluke and we really are one of the bottom four programs of the B1G.
I have no idea how this will play out. You are most likely correct. But I would not be surprised if we lose 67-3 to OSU, with a half empty stadium by halftime, and Riley gets canned Monday

Reactions: Husker-NJ
I agree, but who is going to get that interim tag, I don't like our choices of anyone on the current coaching staff. I am hoping this small class of recruits doesn't fall apart.
No idea. And I am not saying I think Riley should be fired soon. Just saying if they determine after the OSU game that he needs to go that they should just do it. Why wait?

Right but the Wisky game was telling. At home, night game, big fan support, and Riley comes out with a great scripted/executed 1st drive on offense.

Then what? The ol' crap pass into the flat to a stone-handed RB, tipped, pick-6 and momentum goes out of the stadium

What should have been a higher scoring thriller people would have enjoyed watching ends up being an inevitable beat down as Wisky bides their time until the OL starts pounding Nebraska mercilessly.

So have we seen enough yet? Oh yea, tOSU is coming to town, hell bent on making the Playoffs, after their early 1 loss. This should be fun to watch.

I am not going to be watching. No thanks. I have had enough. Call me a bad fan or whatever but at least I don't have to gag once or twice during the evening's events

That isn't even remotely the point. I don't care if you watch, don't watch. Lie about watching or anything else.

If the plan was to make a change, and the change wasn't made after losing to Northern Illinois, the change won't be made until the end of the season. You gain nothing by firing him Sunday or Monday. The 2 of the 3 toughest games on the schedule are gone. The interim coach comes in and wins 5 of the last 6, then what?

By keeping Riley through the end of the season, you at least have the opportunity to keep in contact with the recruits you have on the hook now. If he is fired, those guys are gone. The new coach won't have much of a chance to keep them when he is hired in November or December. At least with a November firing, there is a chance they haven't totally abandoned ship.

I stand by the comments if a mid-season firing was even a remote possibility, they would have just done it with Eichorst.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT