ADVERTISEMENT

The coaching carousel is mostly just dumb luck

Could you imagine the reaction around here if we had hired a guy from JMU?
I think people would have been worried about his age but would have loved his no-nonsense attitude and the fact he doesn't seem to like to waste time talking. Intelligent people would listen to see how his action plan would match up with the current reality of the game...in counter to Rhule who just says what he thinks corn-fed brains want to hear. The fact he and clueless Trev thought it was smart to go back to being "Development U" right as NIL, free transfers and the no commitment era was beginning is just mind-boggling. Development is the best option if you can #1: Actually Develop #2: Pay to keep guys. The days of manipulating young kids to stay is over...they will go to the places that pay the best. I guarantee Rhule will fall back on the evil nature of NIL and transfer portal, while he has jumped time and time again for more money, and will complain about the lack of "development" and he wants to "do it the right way", while embezzling 80 million by 2032.

PS: The right way= Head Coach, who doesn't coordinate or coach a position takes a base 1 million salary--> He makes the rest on incentives such as Big 10 championship, playoff appearance, wins above 7. He then pays the rest to get the top coordinators and recruiters available...a sends the rest to NIL to get one stud at QB, one on the offensive line and one on the dline. Our head coach brings nothing to the table...just think T.O was known as the best play caller and offensive coordinator in the nation, while being the top recruiter, and the face of the program..taking all the shots from fans and media, while still supporting players. Rhule does none of this...

Last edited:
Reactions: Dylman
I think people would have been worried about his age but would have loved his no-nonsense attitude and the fact he doesn't seem to like to waste time talking. Intelligent people would listen to see how his action plan would match up with the current reality of the game...in counter to Rhule who just says what he thinks corn-fed brains want to hear. The fact he and clueless Trev thought it was smart to go back to being "Development U" right as NIL, free transfers and the no commitment era was beginning is just mind-boggling. Development is the best option if you can #1: Actually Develop #2: Pay to keep guys. The days of manipulating young kids to stay is over...they will go to the places that pay the best.

I don't know sure seemed like there was a lot of vitriol around hiring a G5 Coach, since Frost came from G5. Of course, that is why the AD shouldn't really worry about things like fit and fan reaction, because at the end of the day, winning is the only fit that matters.

The AD would have been tarred and feathered for hiring Cignetti.

No doubt about it. Look at Deion. Whenever he was mentioned, it was “he doesn’t have any P5 experience.” And he was a way splashier hire than Cignetti.

Ironically, they’re kind of one in the same. Cignetti has probably been able to execute a little better so far and certainly goes about it all a little better than Deion. But the similarities are striking

• Haha
Reactions: headcard
No doubt about it. Look at Deion. Whenever he was mentioned, it was “he doesn’t have any P5 experience.” And he was a way splashier hire than Cignetti.

Ironically, they’re kind of one in the same. Cignetti has probably been able to execute a little better so far and certainly goes about it all a little better than Deion. But the similarities are striking
I'm still not sold on Deion. Sure, they have improved but they rely heavily on a few key players. Also, I think their schedule makes them appear better than they really are.

Reactions: headcard
I'm still not sold on Deion. Sure, they have improved but they rely heavily on a few key players. Also, I think their schedule makes them appear better than they really are.

How could you even be remotely sold on him? “Coach Prime” had no experience and no plan. He’s just trying to live off his name and coach daddy ball as long as possible. Comparing him to a guy with 40 years of coaching is crazy.

How could you even be remotely sold on him? “Coach Prime” had no experience and no plan. He’s just trying to live off his name and coach daddy ball as long as possible. Comparing him to a guy with 40 years of coaching is crazy.
Deion had a very clearly articulated plan and he's following it closely

many just didn't/don't like it

they're getting better. not sure we can say the same, despite doing it "the right way".

I think it's more of an AD's ability to know what good coaching looks like instead of going for a hot name. Indiana is having success not just because of Sig but his staff/some players came with him.
It sounds like next time we should consider hiring a coach from one of the powerhouse Dakotas programs so he can bring his staff and roster with him.

It sounds like next time we should consider hiring a coach from one of the powerhouse Dakotas programs so he can bring his staff and roster with him.
I doubt that would ever happen. There's too much of a need for a "wow" hire. It would take a ballsy AD to make such a hire. But I've been saying that for years. Who gives a sh*t is you "win the press conference" or what the "boosters of substance" are asking for?

Urban is the only guy available who is just about guaranteed to turn this around and hire good coaches, just like 2 years ago.

Or someone who has proven he can win in this league. Like the fat man, I don't care anymore how disgusting he is.

Still others like the KSt coach and Chadwell were hire on the list than the gasbag we got
Urban was not available and we could not get K states coach if we wanted to people would not be super impressed with Chadwell either. Fans weren’t gonna be happy if we had gotten a coordinator.. it’s a damn near impossible situation

Last edited:
Really? Those are the comparisons? Its easier to coach with all 4 and 5 star players. Ryan Day is a perfect example. Average coach with ridiculous talent and very expensive assistants. He did not hire most of them I don't think. If he did at least he got some of that right. We may find out soon if he doesn't make the playoff. He'll get caned.
Canned or caned? It’s been a long time since we caned anyone in America.

My top 5 the year we hired Rhule:
1. Urban Meyer
2. Dan Mullen
3. Tom Herman
4. Kalen Deboer
5. Luke Fickell

Don’t look now, but IU’s schedule isn’t exactly murder’s row. We’re their signature win and we suck.

A .500 coach that always knocks it out of the park in year 3.
IDK if this is sarcasm but Rhule "won" in year 3...meaning he still lost 4 games..but anyway..he won by playing young guys in year 1 and 2 and getting crushed. By year 3 he was playing with experience and won against worse teams but still got beat by ranked teams. At NU he played the upperclassman and hasn't built depth...this 5-7 team is the most veteran team in the big 10 and he isn't getting young guys experience...so year 3 is going to be more like year 1.

I know Cignetti says he’s a winner but I don’t think he would be as successful here.

He’s successful at Indiana because nobody cares about football there. There is no pressure there.

Tom Allen had some success and then fizzled out. Let’s see how successful Cignetti is 5 years from now (if he even stays that long). He is this year’s better version of Coach Prime.

Oregon hires a new coach every handful of years

UGA, Bama, Clemson, ohiost hire new coordinators basically every season

doesn't matter
Which came first, the chicken or the egg? The schools you listed all have/had legendary to some extent, head coaches. That is the common denominator.

Nebraska has had, in my opinion, two great coaches in Devaney and Osborne. Bob started hot for the Huskers and then started to fall off when he hired a young guy named Osborne and was talked into starting a weight program. Then you had the most seamless program change to Tom and his loyalty was rarely questioned both to the state and his coaches/players. After that, what do you have? Nebraska caught lightening a bottle and we took it for granted. Like it or not, the standard was set and will never be replicated.

The big mistake was not canning Frost a year before and getting Lanning. Lanning would have taked the NU job in a second that year.

And Lanning would have stayed here forever. He put his family through like 30 moves in the last 10 years...dude would have got here, fell in love and been a lifer.
Head coaches don't leave NU voluntarily.

My top 5 the year we hired Rhule:
1. Urban Meyer
2. Dan Mullen
3. Tom Herman
4. Kalen Deboer
5. Luke Fickell
Yep, those are some solid picks. Even Fickell I think will prove to be a better hire than Rhule in terms of wins and losses. But….we have what we have and it ain’t changing anytime soon. Just hope we can play in bowl games.

Ironically, they’re kind of one and the same. Cignetti has probably been able to execute a little better so far and certainly goes about it all a little better than Deion. But the similarities are striking
Yeah it’s safe to say Cignetti executes a little better than Deion. One team we controlled and the other gave us a humiliating, demoralizing beating that has catapulted the Huskers back to being the laughingstock of CFB and people are gonna get fired.

People would love that offense if he could get it rolling here. It’s essentially a modernized option offense, not like chip Kelly’s or Frost’s.

I agree people would love it. Hell, I'll even take it a step further and say people would buy in with homer levels of joy and optimism almost immediately and anoint him the second coming about 5 mins after he's hired, just like our fanbase has done with every single coach. I mean, look at Rhule. The vast majority of our fans went from "who is Matt Rhule" to "we're gonna be great, we've got Matt Rhule" almost over night.

The big part of your post is the IF he could get it rolling. Yet to be seen if that offense can consistently work against P4 level competition. Hence why none have given him a shot yet. That's the part that's hard to swallow. That we, a blue blood, big money, P2 football program would be the guinea pig to see if that system is a gimmick or genius. Huge risk. Admittedly, a risk that I'd be willing to take at this point.

reality is, I didn’t mind the Rhule hire it’s the fvcking contracts for these clowns that we just need to fvcking stop
We are the dumbest mudderfvking program on the planet

Frost, a 7 year deal, then after a couple shitty seasons a 2 year extension?
Then, giving Rhule a 9 year deal!

I mean, what the hell
Agree giving such a long contract when nothing has been proven yet on the field is a bit ludicrous, but you have to give a head coach no less a 5 year contract…

I agree people would love it. Hell, I'll even take it a step further and say people would buy in with homer levels of joy and optimism almost immediately and anoint him the second coming about 5 mins after he's hired, just like our fanbase has done with every single coach. I mean, look at Rhule. The vast majority of our fans went from "who is Matt Rhule" to "we're gonna be great, we've got Matt Rhule" almost over night.

The big part of your post is the IF he could get it rolling. Yet to be seen if that offense can consistently work against P4 level competition. Hence why none have given him a shot yet. That's the part that's hard to swallow. That we, a blue blood, big money, P2 football program would be the guinea pig to see if that system is a gimmick or genius. Huge risk. Admittedly, a risk that I'd be willing to take at this point.
I have my doubts about Chadwell or any group of five coach after the Frost debacle. The thing that intrigues me is that we could have an “identity” again with an offense that modernizes the concepts of old. Rhule talked about how we were going to be a downhill, physical running team with fullbacks. The reality hasn’t even been close to that.

Reactions: V-Doub and Dylman
Matt Rhule’s coaching resume isn’t that different from Mike Riley’s ( Riley has a higher win percentage in college than Rhule)

there is no history of sustained success - he bailed after each single successful season

Would be like hiring Matt Campbell from ISU who won 8 games in year 2 after ISU had losing records for 6 straight yrs before he took over

Matt Rhule’s coaching resume isn’t that different from Mike Riley’s ( Riley has a higher win percentage in college than Rhule)

there is no history of sustained success - he bailed after each single successful season

Would be like hiring Matt Campbell from ISU who won 8 games in year 2 after ISU had losing records for 6 straight yrs before he took over
What are you talking about? Riley coached Oregon St twice 1997-1998 was 8-14
was hired again in 2003 and coached to 2014.. He only had one job, you can’t compare Riley to Rhule.. Riley had 6 losing seasons.

Rhule has jumped started 2 other programs and was there both times for three seasons.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT