ADVERTISEMENT

The coaching carousel is mostly just dumb luck

You’re going to need to define that further, the criteria is too broad
Urban is the only guy available who is just about guaranteed to turn this around and hire good coaches, just like 2 years ago.

Or someone who has proven he can win in this league. Like the fat man, I don't care anymore how disgusting he is.

Still others like the KSt coach and Chadwell were hire on the list than the gasbag we got

No he wasn't. It's an easy copy out to think that and another failure by our grifter decision makers in Lincoln.

not going to go round and round about it, but i stand by what i typed...Urban wasn't coming here...outside of him, they were all gambles. i wonder if you're just looking at this through hindsight and would ask if you remember the boards reaction when BOB was floated, a guy who's resume was better than we deserved...and he wasn't good enough...heck even posters here didn't want urban because he was to slimy...i think people forget all the hand wringing on just about every possible candidate that was mentioned, all of them had their detractors. rhule was as good as we were going to do and most of us felt pretty lucky to get him at the time

It is not a huge issue but the Indiana coach is already in his 60's...like 63?

I am guessing this contract alone made him rich (please, I don't need 50 replies about how a dude in his 60's could not retire off of 6 years 27 million dollar contract), so more than likely, he is doing 6-7 years tops, which might have scared off some AD's?

I know it would have been something that I thought about it, not sure if it would have scared me off though. But I could see why it would be a consideration.

And yes, I am an ageist. Shut up

Reactions: V-Doub
reality is, I didn’t mind the Rhule hire it’s the fvcking contracts for these clowns that we just need to fvcking stop
We are the dumbest mudderfvking program on the planet

Frost, a 7 year deal, then after a couple shitty seasons a 2 year extension?
Then, giving Rhule a 9 year deal!

I mean, what the hell

reality is, I didn’t mind the Rhule hire it’s the fvcking contracts for these clowns that we just need to fvcking stop

I mean, what the hell
Once you look at it from the employers point of view, you'll understand. It's not winning football they want, it's a lucrative program. Fans will still pay and advertisers + TV money are locked in. You're a victim of the grift if you continue to shell out. Your choice what you do with your money, though.

I mean, what the hell
However, without big contracts, we can't make big time coaching hires.

Reactions: headcard
not going to go round and round about it, but i stand by what i typed...Urban wasn't coming here...outside of him, they were all gambles. i wonder if you're just looking at this through hindsight and would ask if you remember the boards reaction when BOB was floated, a guy who's resume was better than we deserved...and he wasn't good enough...heck even posters here didn't want urban because he was to slimy...i think people forget all the hand wringing on just about every possible candidate that was mentioned, all of them had their detractors. rhule was as good as we were going to do and most of us felt pretty lucky to get him at the time
Realistically no, he wasn't the best we could do. Of course poster are going to argue about any name and nobody here knows who would come and who wouldn't. Money talks. Act like a blue blood and stop ripping this state off.

Honestly, fans should stop showing up. Kills me to say that, but what are we left with. It's obvious he was the wrong choice.

The longer we wait, the longer it is before we start winning again. I don't want to hear another word about raising donations or ticket prices

GO WIN some fcking games and look like a competitive well coached team.

Reactions: Dylman

You are right. A lot of this stuff is just guys looking for a reason to pile on already. I find it so interesting. I'd love to see the list of guys who wanted Frost fired halfway through his second season with a 5-2 record. I hear all the time about Nebraska having the smartest fans in college football. I'd invite anybody who believes that to come to this message board for a few days after a big loss. That myth would be PERMANENTLY pit to bed.

HCMR is definitely not beyond reproach. He had a couple hires that I questioned immediately. So this isn't 20/20 hindsight. That said the crew of guys talking about firing him and how bad he is are laughable.

Give the man a chance to fix what's wrong. A lot of people being disingenuous when it comes to who we COULDVE hired . I'll just say that. You are right my friend.

Hollla

Yes, very much a timing thing, although some programs seem to be set up to transition from one successful coach to the next (Ohio State, Oregon, GA)
Really? Those are the comparisons? Its easier to coach with all 4 and 5 star players. Ryan Day is a perfect example. Average coach with ridiculous talent and very expensive assistants. He did not hire most of them I don't think. If he did at least he got some of that right. We may find out soon if he doesn't make the playoff. He'll get caned.

I'm not sure Urban is a slam dunk anymore, he was doing his thing in a different era of college football. It's a lot different than even 5 years ago and urban seemed to relish being able to hold things over players heads and expect them to kill themselves, they make a lot of money now and he probably can't do it the same way. He was always having health problems back then too, probably a waste of money if you hired him now.

You are right. A lot of this stuff is just guys looking for a reason to pile on already. I find it so interesting. I'd love to see the list of guys who wanted Frost fired halfway through his second season with a 5-2 record. I hear all the time about Nebraska having the smartest fans in college football. I'd invite anybody who believes that to come to this message board for a few days after a big loss. That myth would be PERMANENTLY pit to bed.

HCMR is definitely not beyond reproach. He had a couple hires that I questioned immediately. So this isn't 20/20 hindsight. That said the crew of guys talking about firing him and how bad he is are laughable.

Give the man a chance to fix what's wrong. A lot of people being disingenuous when it comes to who we COULDVE hired . I'll just say that. You are right my friend.

Hollla
This actually the first time I'm calling for this so early. I've always been on here fighting the good fight, sticking up for coaches and players.

Sorry, laugh all you want. No more for me. This university has grifted this state and fan base long enough. This hire was poor, the way it was done was poor.

Give him a chance to fix it, seriously after what just happened. That is not the world we live in anymore. Take an honest look at his time hear so far and tell me you think he'll get it done, with a straight face.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT