ADVERTISEMENT

That was a gutsy, gutsy, gutsy win!

z28craz

Blackshirt
Jan 5, 2004
Way to go Huskers!!! Blackshirts especially! Stepped up when needed and made the plays needed to secure the win. The O did enough to get us the points necessary and congrats to Pickering. Great kicks with the pressure on. Wasn’t a sexy game from an offensive perspective, but man, that’s the kind of game you have to figure out how to win if you want to play with the best. GBR!!!!

How about giving Coach Chin some credit too? Called a great game. Has one hell of a difficult job. Trying to run a defensive scheme for a team whose offense isn’t designed to make lengthy time drives. He was able to really dial up a defense today. Say Sparta’s offense is awful, whatever. Fact is, our worst got the job done today.

The weather forced the Huskers into a different kind of game and they win. MSU lacked this or lacked that, so you play who is in front of you when you play them. Nebraska was short handed today as well.

Go finish the season right with a Friday carving of fowl.

Yep. We lose this game 10 out of 10 times last season or the first half of this season

Yep. Game was ugly. But the team competed all 4 quartets and did not make the critical mental errors that have cost so many drives / games in the last 2 years

Reactions: spinner4
Getting it done sloppy or in bad conditions against a great defense, well done Huskers.

I have to be honest - I would be in financial ruins right now if I could have found a way to bet that Pickering would not have made that kick given the weather

I think if most Husker fans were being honest, they were right there with ya. You have to be very happy for that guy, he really needed that and he'll remember that for the rest of his life.

It was a man's game and we stepped up. This program is going in the right direction on all sides of the board. Gutsy, gutsy call leaving it to Pickering. That kick and the way the D played will do more to boost this team than about anything else.

Reactions: jlb321
Didn’t we come from behind late in the game to beat a MSU team that played in the national championship playoff a few years ago?
Yes, and I don’t believe I am saying this after all the time I spent blaming the toxicity following Pelini, but that victory was won by Pelini players who still knew how to fight.

Riley, as much as I defended him, made this team softer than ever. If that 2015 game was played in 2017, we get boatraced.

I find it noteworthy that MSU struggled more with the weather than NU did. Martinez has some really bad throws, for sure. But how many key drops did MSU receivers have that were likely weather related? Their game plan was also peculiar. They were running the balk pretty well, yet they end up with 41 passes. I know MSU fans are scratching their heads over that.

Overall, it was nice to see NU hang in there in brutal conditions, with almost nothing going right.

Didn’t we come from behind late in the game to beat a MSU team that played in the national championship playoff a few years ago?

Yep.So? How’s that relevant to my post. I didn’t say a Mikey R team couldn’t win a close game or even beat Michigan state. The game you referenced was 39-38. A shootout of sorts. This was a dirty nasty 9-6 game. Not the same type of game at all. This was an extremely hard hitting physical game, where both teams wanted to punch each other in face.

I find it noteworthy that MSU struggled more with the weather than NU did. Martinez has some really bad throws, for sure. But how many key drops did MSU receivers have that were likely weather related? Their game plan was also peculiar. They were running the balk pretty well, yet they end up with 41 passes. I know MSU fans are scratching their heads over that.

Overall, it was nice to see NU hang in there in brutal conditions, with almost nothing going right.

they went away from the run in 2011 as well - we dominated that game 24-3

MSU had Kirk Cousins 11-27 86 yards and 1 INT and LeVeon Bell 12 carries for 61 yards

Reactions: saluno22
they went away from the run in 2011 as well - we dominated that game 24-3

MSU had Kirk Cousins 11-27 86 yards and 1 INT and LeVeon Bell 12 carries for 61 yards
If I recall correctly, All-Big Ten WR BJ Cunningham was held catchless as well.

Lance Thorell at LB is what I remember about that game.

That game for MSU was the last in a very difficult stretch of their schedule:

October 1 at Ohio State (W 10–7)
October 15 vs. No. 11 Michigan (W 28–14)
October 22 vs. No. 4 Wisconsin (W 37–31)
October 29 at No. 13 Nebraska (L 3–24)

Ohio State was on the Tressel probation that year, but still good with Freshman Braxton Miller. They didn't play another ranked team until the conference title game.

Reactions: jlb321
Way to go Huskers!!! Blackshirts especially! Stepped up when needed and made the plays needed to secure the win. The O did enough to get us the points necessary and congrats to Pickering. Great kicks with the pressure on. Wasn’t a sexy game from an offensive perspective, but man, that’s the kind of game you have to figure out how to win if you want to play with the best. GBR!!!!
This game better prepared them for Iowa. They will play the same kind of game. It was great to see the good guys beat Sparty at their own game. When a team can win "ugly", outside of its comfort zone, that is a bigger measure of progress to me. I'll take an "ugly win" every time, over a game with lots of pretty statistics and a "L".

GBR

Great job all around, special thanks go out to the MSU OC (or HC) who stuck with the arm of their #2 QB through & into the wind and snow, absolutely brilliant game plan.......GBR!!!

Nice win guys against a tough team. Defense made a game changing play with the fumble on our QB. Once the weather hits in November sometimes you have to grind out ugly wins in the B1G.

This was s 2012 all over again for MSU. Great D but terrible O. Hopefully Dantonio makes some staff changes.

For me, it has been a huge relief to see our team come together, when all they are playing for is their own pride. The coaches have done a great job changing the culture, and I am so excited for the future.

If I recall correctly, All-Big Ten WR BJ Cunningham was held catchless as well.

Lance Thorell at LB is what I remember about that game.

That game for MSU was the last in a very difficult stretch of their schedule:

October 1 at Ohio State (W 10–7)
October 15 vs. No. 11 Michigan (W 28–14)
October 22 vs. No. 4 Wisconsin (W 37–31)
October 29 at No. 13 Nebraska (L 3–24)

Ohio State was on the Tressel probation that year, but still good with Freshman Braxton Miller. They didn't play another ranked team until the conference title game.
just to point out the difficult Oct. 8 BYE week too, so not as bad as it looks at first glance, off and two obviously winnable home games.......just trying to help

We really did a pretty good job of containing their run game in that 2nd half and a few stuffed runs put them in some bad down and distance situations. They had more success in their pass game than we did. They just had some crucial dropped passes. Lombardi is the real deal IMO. He was pretty darned accurate for the conditions and hurt us a bit with his feet. Much better offense for MSU with him in the game.

Reactions: barney44
Sorry that I am late to the party. Drove to the KC Airport yesterday from Lincoln and then flew into SeaTac. The 2.5 drive back over the mountains to home I made in just 2 hours and three minutes. That pretty much wore me out. How fun was this game? It has been a long time since I had that much fun at a Husker game. It was so cold! (Nebraska cold is definelty colder than Eastern Washington cold. I think it's the wind). For a 9-6 game it sure was full of drama. The Cold must have gotten to the zebras because they sure called a bad game. Spartan players were pretty chippy. Boy! Did they drop a bunch of passes. The Husker D was awesome. Best they have played in a long time. How about that Reed kid. Watched the second half with a couple of old friends on the West side, about 15 rows up at about the north 17 yard line. We were all having too much fun. I got to be honest I was flabbergasted that Scott sent the kicker out for that last kick. We were all holding our breath and then erupted when he made it. I did something I never have done before. I stood at the rail and watched the players come inside from being out on the field. Scott was jumping up and down, going crazy. He was pumped up. We are going to be OK. Finally!!!

Last edited:

MSU was pretty crazy. It is one thing to man up, but it is even sillier to be stupid. Huskers were in coats on the sidelines. Martinez had a coat put on him during time out huddles. Most of the Spartan players did not have sleeves and very few wore coats on the sidelines. Maybe if they had warmer bodies they wouldn't drop so many passes. Well it turned out well for the Huskers.

What a great way for these seniors to play their last game at Memorial Stadium. Thinking about the coaching changes, the ups and downs, and the complete collapse of last year, it makes me feel really good for them (and I enjoyed it too).

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT