ADVERTISEMENT

Talent level Big 10 West

Escape your borders this weekend, there's a whole another world out there.
potcXEh_d.jpg

Hi, asso.

That's funny.
what's funny the last class that is better was the 2005 class that was rated 11th. as RSJR's they went 9-4 #20 final ranking
as RSSR's they went 11-2 beating ACC Champion GT in the BCS Orange bowl and a #7 final ranking.
compared to these years when Kirk started to overhaul his staff
2013 #53
2014 #59
2015 #58
since then
2016 #42
2017 #40 2 US Army AA in 5* DE Epenesa and 4* RT Wirfs who started as a true FR, just 3rd True FR OL to start in KF 20 seasons
2018 US Army AA DL Linderbaum who RS'd
2019 AA was the US Army AA OLB Jacobs from Ohio who the OSU Staff just offered 2 Friday's ago. made a unofficial to the OSU/Michigan game and then made a official visit and turned them down.

Iowa is starting to get players that the big boys are trying to flip or recruit against
QB Padila just got a offer from Georgia
RB Goodson just had Hairball show up for a in home visit thursday night trying to get him to flip
he did this before but he got RB Higdon to flip offering 6 days before the signing date made a visit on Saterday and committed 2 days before the signing day.
Epenesa chose Iowa over Alabama. its a start and its only going to get better.

Attrition is attrition. Yes it may be more during a coaching transition, but when you add 25 plus players per year to a roster, there is always going to be attrition. Chryst just finished his 4th year at Wisconsin, I would bet he still has attrition, same with Ferentz.

I will have a little time this evening. I will do my best to throw a quick spreadsheet together, just because I am curious. And I despise a job half done.....ha ha ha

All I am saying is a baseline has been established. We have had more attrition because of coaching turnover. I wonder about the kids recruited also.

I believe the top teams in the west will go further ahead and it will make for a greater discrepancy in recruiting. Bye, bye Iowa fans.

You provide alot of great information. Thanks.

what's funny the last class that is better was the 2005 class that was rated 11th. as RSJR's they went 9-4 #20 final ranking
as RSSR's they went 11-2 beating ACC Champion GT in the BCS Orange bowl and a #7 final ranking.
compared to these years when Kirk started to overhaul his staff
2013 #53
2014 #59
2015 #58
since then
2016 #42
2017 #40 2 US Army AA in 5* DE Epenesa and 4* RT Wirfs who started as a true FR, just 3rd True FR OL to start in KF 20 seasons
2018 US Army AA DL Linderbaum who RS'd
2019 AA was the US Army AA OLB Jacobs from Ohio who the OSU Staff just offered 2 Friday's ago. made a unofficial to the OSU/Michigan game and then made a official visit and turned them down.

Iowa is starting to get players that the big boys are trying to flip or recruit against
QB Padila just got a offer from Georgia
RB Goodson just had Hairball show up for a in home visit thursday night trying to get him to flip
he did this before but he got RB Higdon to flip offering 6 days before the signing date made a visit on Saterday and committed 2 days before the signing day.
Epenesa chose Iowa over Alabama. its a start and its only going to get better.

lol, our next quarterback will be a McCaffrey. Did you pee a liitle bit?

Reactions: RedMyMind
FnA buddy, looks like a playoff team to me. Look out bama.
defensively probably a top 10 defense can do wonders for a team and next season's defense looks to be even better. 7th in total defense and 6th vs the run. that will wins you a lot of games. next season they could have 3 US Army AA starting on defense. 1 DE 1 DT and 1 LB not to bad is it for team that didn't recruit top talent before the shake up the staff.

Reactions: kwicasso
defensively probably a top 10 defense can do wonders for a team and next season's defense looks to be even better. 7th in total defense and 6th vs the run. that will wins you a lot of games. next season they could have 3 US Army AA starting on defense. 1 DE 1 DT and 1 LB not to bad is it for team that didn't recruit top talent before the shake up the staff.

400 yards, your defense is garbage. It's slow. I'll be disappointed if Nebraska doesn't win by two scores next year.

lol, our next quarterback will be a McCaffrey. Did you pee a liitle bit?
not hardly as Iowa's next QB by some on HR is 4* Petras out California
but for me I like Mansell who ESPN rated the #1 Pro Style QB in Texas.
then in the 2020 Class they already have a commitment from Hogan out of Texas a 4* by 247 and ESPN.
this the results of Rudock and Beathard both going to the NFL. Beathard is the starting QB for the 49'rs. Rudock made the Lions where he was the backup.
don't watch the NFL but they do keep track on HR.

success in putting players into the Pro's leads to getting the higher rated player to look at and commit.
Iowa has no trouble finding TE's, OL, DL, LB'rs and DB's because of these type of players being drafted and having major impacts in the NFL. the problem is having the depth at each positiion and getting the WR's that are impact players vs the 3-4 development WR's that don't make the NFL.

then in the 2020 Class they already have a commitment from Hogan out of Texas a 4* by 247 and ESPN.
this the results of Rudock and Beathard both going to the NFL. Beathard is the starting QB for the 49'rs. Rudock made the Lions where he was the backup.

success in putting players into the Pro's leads to getting the higher rated player to look at and commit.
Iowa has no trouble finding TE's, OL, DL, LB'rs and DB's because of these type of players being drafted and having major impacts in the NFL. the problem is having the depth at each positiion and getting the WR's that are impact players vs the 3-4 development WR's that don't make the NFL.

You develop players. You can't really develop quicknrss or speed. You can definitely improve it tho, but not like strength. The thing is... were developing our athletes again too. I like our chances.

400 yards, your defense is garbage. It's slow. I'll be disappointed if Nebraska doesn't win by two scores next year.
be prepared to be disappointed. the LB's were constantly rotating because of injuries. the DB's were just starting get healthy and used to new scheme as Parker implemented a 4-2-5 defense, this is in response to all the spread offense that they are facing. [long time coming/over due]. but Iowa is getting the Athletes to use in this defense,
FR DB Moss 100 meter state champion started. 4* FR CB Brents who started
4* S Cradieth who RS'd.
the LB'rs were these
RSFR Cobert a converted FS.
JR Welch
RSSO Niemann the younger brother of Ben Niemann a 3 year starter now starting in the NFL
all 1st year starters
in the mix for the 2019 season
LB RSFR McDonald Georgia Defensive POY
LB True FR AA 4* Jacobs BY 247.

Tommy Armstrong and Cody Green were 4* from texass too.. So what.

Last edited:
be prepared to be disappointed. the LB's were constantly rotating because of injuries. the DB's were just starting get healthy and used to new scheme as Parker implemented a 4-2-5 defense, this is in response to all the spread offense that they are facing. [long time coming/over due]. but Iowa is getting the Athletes to use in this defense,
FR DB Moss 100 meter state champion started. 4* FR CB Brents who started
4* S Cradieth who RS'd.
the LB'rs were these
RSFR Cobert a converted FS.
JR Welch
RSSO Niemann the younger brother of Ben Niemann a 3 year starter now starting in the NFL
all 1st year starters
in the mix for the 2019 season
LB RSFR McDonald Georgia Defensive POY
LB True FR AA 4* Jacobs BY 247.

You used this defense against Nebraska also. This defense was also used against Purdue. It is slow. I don't care if you have eight defensive backs. Talent will show out, because our coaching is better.

You develop players. You can't really develop quicknrss or speed. You can definitely improve it tho, but not like strength. The thing is... were developing our athletes again too. I like our chances.
this is where getting players that are both track stars and FB players improves the speed of the team
taking a WR recruit and moving to the CB, LB or TE spot increases the speed at those position,
just like taking a TE recruits and moving them to DE, OL and LB spots improves the speed.
moving Safeties to the LB spot or even moving a RB to a LB spot improves the speed

then getting the 4* to AA games recruits improves each position at those positions
5* Epenesa as a DE
4* Wirfs RT
DT Linderbaum US Army AA
now LB Jacobs AA / US Army AA

now if they can start getting the WR's that can stretch the field so teams can't load the box [selling out to stop the run] the offense will get even better.

I mean, seriously, I struggle with Nebraska fans calling another teams defense "garbage." What would the Husker's season have looked like if we had a defense as good as Iowa's?

Just win, all the bantering and listing stats is a losers game. There is no magic to getting better, and boy howdy, do we need to get a lot better, especially on D.

You used this defense against Nebraska also. This defense was also used against Purdue. It is slow. I don't care if you have eight defensive backs. Talent will show out, because our coaching is better.
against Purdue Iowa started a pair of true FR CB's with Moss who will be moved to the FS spot, and Moss is the one that Purdue picked on staying away from Brents
against You SO Hankins was 2 games removed from injuries that sidelined him
RSJR Ojemudia 1st game coming off a injuries who Moss was/had replaced in the RCB starting roll,

in that game vs your team Martinez had 260 yards passing and led the team in rushing with 76 out of the 140 rushing yards. the 2nd best total came from Ogizebo with 50 on 19 carries. Iowa's rush Defense was 7th giving up 102.8 ypg
pass defense was 18th giving up 186.8 ypg. Martinez 26-38 260 yards 6.8 YPA 2 td's and 1 INT

not exactly eye opening stats, especially since Frost had this game circled all season.

Iowa's offensive numbers
Stanley 16-27 158 yards
Rushing 266 yards on 45 yards with 1st year SO RB Sargeant rushing for 173 yards. also Sargeant was a 1st Team JUCO AA setting IWCC record for rushing yards in a season who is from Florida.
Iowa 419 total yards vs Nebraska 400 yards.
Iowa is getting more players from the SE where the speed is plentiful.
Hankins is from Texas
Moss is from Iowa but he ran the 3rd fastest 110 meter hurdles nationally, slow not hardley inexperienced and playing out of position yes.
WR Smith was a 2 time 1st Team All state out of Missippippi and was a member of their Dandy Dozen, another state that is rich with Talent and speed. also Smith was Missippippi High Jump champion.
Smith-Marssete who led the BT and was top 5 in KR's is from NJ
I think the speed factor is not as big as some try to make out to be. not with the skill players they are starting get out of Florida, Texas, Georgia, Missippippi and maybe out of Alabama, [if they can land the RB they are recruiting who just came in for a visit,
they just had a LB recruit just visit, get him the LB'rs could look like this
OLB 6'4 Jacobs out of Ohio
MLB 6'2 out of Florida [name with held until he commits]
WLB 6'4 Campbell out of Iowa [also plays TE/RB] ended the season with over 160 tackles, 22 TFL, 12 Sacks the LB'rs are getting bigger and faster.

this new staff has only been together as a whole since January and the majority are in their 2nd year of recruiting.

Who is he passing it to? Wasn't Coan a 4*?

Mertz is the best QB recruit in UW history, wanted by more schools than anyone on NU's roster or '19 class. Coan was a composite 3*.

He'll be passing to guys that kick your DB's arses per usual.

Tommy Armstrong and Cody Green were 4* from texass too.. So what.
Iowa does not get 4* QB's as a rule, the last 4* QB that Iowa got out of Texas was Tate and in his 1st season led Iowa to a 10-2 finish with their 2nd shared BT Championship in 3 years and a bowl win over LSU 12 months after LSU won the National Championship.
so yes Iowa getting 2 4* QB's in a 3 year period is big upgrade but this has more to do in the upgrade in the Coaching staff
WR Copeland is the lead recruiter in Florida
RB Foster who joined the staff in January is now the lead recruiter in Georgia and Alabama

these are key recruiting areas for the future success for Iowa going forward
RC/ADL Coach Bell is the lead recruiter in Ohio, Indiana and parts of Pennsylvania
QB Coach KOK is the lead recruiter in California and west area.

this is something that was missing in the previous staff, like Davis and Brian stated in one of the coaches meeting that there were coaches that were just punching a time clock vs going the extra step.

I mean, seriously, I struggle with Nebraska fans calling another teams defense "garbage." What would the Husker's season have looked like if we had a defense as good as Iowa's?

Just win, all the bantering and listing stats is a losers game. There is no magic to getting better, and boy howdy, do we need to get a lot better, especially on D.

The only "stat" I listed was 400 yards. And I believe the Iowa defense isn't far off, from what some of Nebraskas defenses were before they were exposed. And Nebraska's defense was horrible.

You have an excellent grasp of the obvious.
You keep your your boy howdy 's and your hand wringing. I'll troll the trolls. Deal?

Reactions: SOHusker11
Iowa does not get 4* QB's as a rule, the last 4* QB that Iowa got out of Texas was Tate and in his 1st season led Iowa to a 10-2 finish with their 2nd shared BT Championship in 3 years and a bowl win over LSU 12 months after LSU won the National Championship.
so yes Iowa getting 2 4* QB's in a 3 year period is big upgrade but this has more to do in the upgrade in the Coaching staff
RB Foster who joined the staff in January is now the lead recruiter in Georgia and Alabama

RC/ADL Coach Bell is the lead recruiter in Ohio, Indiana and parts of Pennsylvania

this is something that was missing in the previous staff, like Davis and Brian stated in one of the coaches meeting that there were coaches that were just punching a time clock vs going the extra step.
Doesn't your fanbase wanna get rid of Brian Ferentz?

It seems that there are quite a few 4* QB busts. Here's hoping Iowa and Wisky continue that route

Reactions: H8FULLGR8

Go away gilligan and take the other Iowa trolls with you.

Reactions: ZJSARENOTFREE
The only "stat" I listed was 400 yards. And I believe the Iowa defense isn't far off, from what some of Nebraskas defenses were before they were exposed. And Nebraska's defense was horrible.

You have an excellent grasp of the obvious.
You keep your your boy howdy 's and your hand wringing. I'll troll the trolls. Deal?

Apparently you do not and I don't make deals.

Sorry I meant more top schools. Mertz has a better offer list than anyone on your team/commit list.
Just stop, you sound like a dumbass and are making a fool out of yourself. You probably talked out your ass about whisky winning a title this year too. How'd that turn out for ya. I think it's past your bedtime, take the herkie dorks with you.

Last edited:
Martinez was offered by bama, Ohio st, and georgia so yeah..... no.
Just UGA per his Rivals profile, and since they got Fields last year I'm guessing that offer wasn't commitable. Mertz had offers from Bama Clemson OSU UGA Notre Dame, every top school but Oklahoma, plus others.

I shouldn't have brought it up, this dick measuring is silly.

Stfu, you sound like a dumbass and are making a fool out of yourself. You probably talked out your ass about whisky winning a title this year too. How'd that turn out for ya. I think it's past your bedtime, take the herkie dorks with you.
I bet you're a cute little tyke. One day you'll start noticing girls and I'll have to have that talk with you.

Stfu, you sound like a dumbass and are making a fool out of yourself. You probably talked out your ass about whisky winning a title this year too. How'd that turn out for ya. I think it's past your bedtime, take the herkie dorks with you.

Lighten up Frances..Winking

I bet you're a cute little tyke. One day you'll start noticing girls and I'll have to have that talk with you.
That's really funny. You're the one bragging about a kids offer list. How do you know those were commitable? What do you know about NU's roster and commits? Most importantly, who gives a shit?

That kid hasn't played a down of college ball. Meanwhile, my guy is one of the best frosh qbs in the country and is already getting Heisman mentions.

Ya, you probably shouldn't have brought it up.

It is a fact we have not developed our team physically as well as some other teams in the west. I believe that is changing. If in fact we are now not going to be out coached, talent I believe will be the deciding factor in who controls the division.

Total rivals point in the last 4 years by school
  1. NU - 7413
  2. WI - 6404
  3. Iowa - 5953
  4. Minn - 5591
  5. Purdue - 5157
  6. NW - 5068
  7. Illinois - 4665
All else equal we are recruiting almost a full class of talent better then most of the division. I have every faith Frost will get these guys ready to play and there is not a reason in the world we should not be in the Big10 title game most years. Wi will up their recruiting game to try and keep pace, Purdue has a strong coach and could challenge - Iowa will not change or adapt and will fall back some - Minn is a bit of a wild card and NW has strong development but is not a serious challenger on the recruiting front.

It is also important to note NU is recruiting at this level while having three bad seasons out of the last 4. At what level will we recruit when the results start showing??

Full Disclosure -

I used 2015 - 2018 recruiting classes for my research. 2019 has not yet signed.

I only had time tonight to look at Nebraska and Iowa

Nebraska - 4560
Iowa - 4380

I will try to get Wisconsin and Northwestern finished tomorrow morning during my planning period. Based on my review of 2 years Wisconsin will have more points than both Nebraska and Iowa.

Just UGA per his Rivals profile, and since they got Fields last year I'm guessing that offer wasn't commitable. Mertz had offers from Bama Clemson OSU UGA Notre Dame, every top school but Oklahoma, plus others.

I shouldn't have brought it up, this dick measuring is silly.

Guys, it's ok, AJ Epenesa is a 5* elite rush end that trumps both of them. ;)

Epenesa a good one for sure but but we’re talking incoming classes, follow along or don’t post, your boys been in the program two year already.o_O
Legacy to Iowa as well, no surprise. Iowa gets a decent recruit every now and then in spite of 40 years of mediocrity.

Reactions: ZJSARENOTFREE
Pretty funny that a large percentage of Iowa fans thought the hawks were a 1 or 2 loss max team this season and most Wisconsin fans thought Wisconsin was a CFP team before the season. Most Nebraska fans thought Nebraska would get 6 wins so 4 is disappointing, but at least we were realistic.

Iowa fan would be better served to predict Iowa as a 8 win team every season, forever, that way they’d be right more times then not. It’s science.

Pretty funny that a large percentage of Iowa fans thought the hawks were a 1 or 2 loss max team this season and most Wisconsin fans thought Wisconsin was a CFP team before the season. Most Nebraska fans thought Nebraska would get 6 wins so 4 is disappointing, but at least we were realistic.

Iowa fan would be better served to predict Iowa as a 8 win team every season, forever, that way they’d be right more times then not. It’s science.

Iowa had the schedule to win the West.. Having buddies that are Herky’s they had high expectations but had to remind them that when Iowa is expected to have a great team they under perform and when you least expect it they have a great season or challenge for the division...

Reactions: H8FULLGR8
Epenesa a good one for sure but but we’re talking incoming classes, follow along or don’t post, your boys been in the program two year already.o_O

It was a who has a bigger nutsack argument of Martinez, then Mertz, of which team has a higher ranked player. Originally posted by cubsker. Iowa has the highest ranked player of three teams mentioned.

Mertz is the best QB recruit in UW history, wanted by more schools than anyone on NU's roster or '19 class. Coan was a composite 3*.

He'll be passing to guys that kick your DB's arses per usual.
Ahh, here it is. Sorry scarletred, but you take the big L on this one.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT