ADVERTISEMENT

Talent level Big 10 West

Dont forget to hang your Starter jacket after the laundromat, it'd be a waste of six quarters & cherished memories all shrunk in an hour.
Yeah, it’s really hard to listen to national pundits who are not biased for or against Nebraska always mention the great years and always say college football is better when Nebraska is elite. Meanwhile those same pundits say about Iowa, “ the wave is a great tradition!”

200w.gif

Yeah, it’s really hard to listen to national pundits who are not biased for or against Nebraska always mention the great years and always say college football is better when Nebraska is elite. Meanwhile those same pundits say about Iowa, “ the wave is a great tradition!”

200w.gif

Wow, then to double down. You represent what Nebraska is about. Not life, not health of kids. To be bragging about some wins for a football team. 99% of this world would say it's better to represent sick kids than some lame sport program - that is tough to stomach. Some of your own, for a fact, would agree with that.

Wow, then to double down. You represent what Nebraska is about. Not life, not health of kids. To be bragging about some wins for a football team. 99% of this world would say it's better to represent sick kids than some lame sport program - that is tough to stomach. Some of your own, for a fact, would agree with that.
Pretty funny, Iowa fan is coming woefully close to saying “look at us, we are doing something great for sick kids!” Read carefully, left to right, top to bottom and slowly as I’ve stated it before, it is a great tradition, just not one I’d want my team to be best known.

200w.gif

Reactions: SOHusker11

I’ll agree if it means you leave and never come back.

I have no words left, this is a new level of stupid. He's waving your worthless ass goodbye. You dipshits have literally embarrassed good Hawkeye fans, congrats.

Reactions: red scowl
If you represent what Iowa is about, well it isn't good. If I was a good Iowa fan I would kick you in the nuts. You're an embarrassment to your own kind.

Full Disclosure -

I used 2015 - 2018 recruiting classes for my research. 2019 has not yet signed.

I only had time tonight to look at Nebraska and Iowa

Nebraska - 4560
Iowa - 4380

I will try to get Wisconsin and Northwestern finished tomorrow morning during my planning period. Based on my review of 2 years Wisconsin will have more points than both Nebraska and Iowa.
Good information thanks but the 2018 season is over so why not use 2019 committed recruits this will be a stellar class - bottom line there is really no way to tell accurately. your numbers do not include guys that played for a season or two then transferred, Lindsey for example and 2015 was Riley's transition year and arguably the worst class we have had in that time frame. I agree with your premise that last year and this year talent wise there is not a big disparity between teams especially with attrition which was pretty heavy but I do think from this point forward we are going to be the most talented team in the west

Such a martyr.
Such a troll. Which 4-5 games will Iowa lose next season? Were you one to post that Iowa was a 2 loss max team this season? Are you disappointed that Iowa did not do better with such a crap schedule? Why are Iowa fans insulted by “fake id” label?

is that why your team didn't play Iowa in the 50's? who knows how many more wins Iowa would have had

as for the 60's and 70's they got started the year they went into the season the preseason #1. but like Iowan call it [WHAT EVY BUILT EVY TORE DOWN]
he hired coaches that would fail so that the Adminstation would come crawling to him and beg him to Coach the team again so that he could be the AD and HC, the Administation wanted no part of that. Evy should never have been named the AD.

We all have our mistakes in our hires for AD...But give me a break Iowa was only good from 1956-1958 I’ll give you 1960..
In the 1950’s Iowa had 4 losing seasons out of 10 with a winning pct of 57%...

I’ll give you the 1950’s and Iowa would still behind after tremendously after the 1960’s 1970’s 1980’s and 1990’s..

Reactions: H8FULLGR8
We all have our mistakes in our hires for AD...But give me a break Iowa was only good from 1956-1958 I’ll give you 1960..

I’ll give you the 1950’s and Iowa would still behind after tremendously after the 1960’s 1970’s 1980’s and 1990’s..
I wouldn't even bother with this guy. He's written several pages of meaninglessness crap.

Mertz is the best QB recruit in UW history, wanted by more schools than anyone on NU's roster or '19 class. Coan was a composite 3*.

He'll be passing to guys that kick your DB's arses per usual.
Too bad you had one of the worst P5 qb's over the last few years or you might have made the playoffs.

K that's where it ends. Total D-bag move. Take some self reflection & think of who you are as a human being. Pure classless trash.
If you don't like it you can get lost. Loser. Do you even post on your own teams board? 150 messages and I'll bet 95% are on this board. Get a life. Oh wait you live in Iowa, this is your life.

It is a fact we have not developed our team physically as well as some other teams in the west. I believe that is changing. If in fact we are now not going to be out coached, talent I believe will be the deciding factor in who controls the division.

Total rivals point in the last 4 years by school
  1. NU - 7413
  2. WI - 6404
  3. Iowa - 5953
  4. Minn - 5591
  5. Purdue - 5157
  6. NW - 5068
  7. Illinois - 4665
All else equal we are recruiting almost a full class of talent better then most of the division. I have every faith Frost will get these guys ready to play and there is not a reason in the world we should not be in the Big10 title game most years. Wi will up their recruiting game to try and keep pace, Purdue has a strong coach and could challenge - Iowa will not change or adapt and will fall back some - Minn is a bit of a wild card and NW has strong development but is not a serious challenger on the recruiting front.

It is also important to note NU is recruiting at this level while having three bad seasons out of the last 4. At what level will we recruit when the results start showing??

I think the rowers and Purdue will pass Wisconsin and Iowa in recruiting.

Reactions: H8FULLGR8
Good information thanks but the 2018 season is over so why not use 2019 committed recruits this will be a stellar class - bottom line there is really no way to tell accurately. your numbers do not include guys that played for a season or two then transferred, Lindsey for example and 2015 was Riley's transition year and arguably the worst class we have had in that time frame. I agree with your premise that last year and this year talent wise there is not a big disparity between teams especially with attrition which was pretty heavy but I do think from this point forward we are going to be the most talented team in the west

The title of the thread is talent level. My premis is that while recruiting is important, retention and development is equally important. In the 4 classes that ended in 2018, Nebraska lost a boatload of players. Players that would have been juniors and soph next year that aren't going to be around.

The reason it is important to show what the class was like (with guys like Lindsay, Gebbia, POB) and now, without those guys, is because in the OP you are counting them as part of the "talent level". They aren't here, they aren't part of the talent level here. That is like saying I made $200k over the last two years, but I lost $100k. What you should have, isn't what you have. You don't get to claim the lost $100k as cash on hand.

It is similar to looking back to 2014 and 2015, and saying the team should have been better because there were 17 4 star players that should have been juniors and seniors, but they were almost all gone, either transferred, never made it, or just weren't good. If those players had been around, it might well have been a different story, Pelini may not have been fired, he may have won an 11th or 12th game or a Big Ten title. But that wasn't the case. People still wanted to use those recruiting rankings as a reason Nebraska should have been better, Well, many of those dudes were like the lost $100k......gone, they weren't going to win Nebraska any games, sitting on their couch in Tempe, playing for TCU or the Royals minor league team, or following their girlfriend to Gainesville.

Nah, their whole team was overrated except Taylor. They reached their apex last year. They lost to the boat rower.

Tl;dr version - UW depends on developed upper classmen. All you saw in 2018 was the 2015 and '16 recruiting classes kicking us in ass.

Long blah blah version - Chryst arrived December 2014, had some decommits and processed a few guys for Feb 2015 signing day. The class sucked. Then he had to start on 2016 guys in 2015. That class sucked too. It's not like UW is a recruiting giant, a year isn't enough for Chryst to get better guys. Tons of attrition and shit production in each class.

2017 and '18 are good classes (for us) and '19 is the best ever for UW...those upcoming upper classmen will have a revenge tour. We will continue to pillage Lincoln, take your wives for pleasure and use your children for labor.

Tl;dr version - UW depends on developed upper classmen. All you saw in 2018 was the 2015 and '16 recruiting classes kicking us in ass.

Long blah blah version - Chryst arrived December 2014, had some decommits and processed a few guys for Feb 2015 signing day. The class sucked. Then he had to start on 2016 guys in 2015. That class sucked too. It's not like UW is a recruiting giant, a year isn't enough for Chryst to get better guys. Tons of attrition and shit production in each class.

2017 and '18 are good classes (for us) and '19 is the best ever for UW...those upcoming upper classmen will have a revenge tour. We will continue to pillage Lincoln, take your wives for pleasure and use your children for labor.

ok, Wisconsin Gilligan. You're right. I didn't read.

Reactions: ZJSARENOTFREE
The title of the thread is talent level. My premis is that while recruiting is important, retention and development is equally important. In the 4 classes that ended in 2018, Nebraska lost a boatload of players. Players that would have been juniors and soph next year that aren't going to be around.

The reason it is important to show what the class was like (with guys like Lindsay, Gebbia, POB) and now, without those guys, is because in the OP you are counting them as part of the "talent level". They aren't here, they aren't part of the talent level here. That is like saying I made $200k over the last two years, but I lost $100k. What you should have, isn't what you have. You don't get to claim the lost $100k as cash on hand.

It is similar to looking back to 2014 and 2015, and saying the team should have been better because there were 17 4 star players that should have been juniors and seniors, but they were almost all gone, either transferred, never made it, or just weren't good. If those players had been around, it might well have been a different story, Pelini may not have been fired, he may have won an 11th or 12th game or a Big Ten title. But that wasn't the case. People still wanted to use those recruiting rankings as a reason Nebraska should have been better, Well, many of those dudes were like the lost $100k......gone, they weren't going to win Nebraska any games, sitting on their couch in Tempe, playing for TCU or the Royals minor league team, or following their girlfriend to Gainesville.

I think the attrition was almost a wash in the last few years because of there wasn't much development, but I believe the development, and time in the program and coaching continuity will be much better. We will still lose kids. And probably more than anyone likes. The rules have changed.

You did. Pass that along next time your buds say "HAHA WISKY'S DONE BRO"

I believe they are done. I'm wrong,but not often. You'll fire Chryst in the next five years. Everyone hits a ceiling. Turns out Wisconsin has a 6' ceiling. Congratulations.

No, no I didn't. You seem unsettled and upset. I view Wisconsin like Iowa. Go away crazy. It's alright for women. You just seem desperate.

Desperate is

When you joined the B1G - "with our talent and recruiting we'll dominate"

When you hired Riley - "with our talent and recruiting we'll dominate"

When you hired Diaco - "with our talent and recruiting we'll dominate"

When you landed Tanner Lee - "with our talent and recruiting we'll dominate"

And yep, when you hired Todd from Breaking Bad - "with our talent and recruiting we'll dominate"

Bye guys.

Reactions: kwicasso
Desperate is

When you joined the B1G - "with our talent and recruiting we'll dominate"

When you hired Riley - "with our talent and recruiting we'll dominate"

When you hired Diaco - "with our talent and recruiting we'll dominate"

When you landed Tanner Lee - "with our talent and recruiting we'll dominate"

And yep, when you hired Todd from Breaking Bad - "with our talent and recruiting we'll dominate"

Bye guys.

Bye tree.

I think the attrition was almost a wash in the last few years because of there wasn't much development, but I believe the development, and time in the program and coaching continuity will be much better. We will still lose kids. And probably more than anyone likes. The rules have changed.

True, but that isn't what I am trying to convey.

I agree that there will be more transfers going forward than most will like.

Either way, it comes down to this, either call the thread a recruiting review of the past 4 years or call it an evaluation of talent level. If you want to say Nebraska can recruit the best in the Big Ten West, I would agree with that. Just don't tell me that they have the highest talent level in the division and give me recruiting rankings as evidence. Especially when those recruiting rankings are inaccurate and include a bunch of 5.8-6.0 4 star players that are no longer on the roster.

I didn't have time to finish Wisconsin and Northwestern, I had tutorials in my planning period, finals start tomorrow, maybe I can get some fun in while the kids are taking the test.

Reactions: red scowl
True, but that isn't what I am trying to convey.

I agree that there will be more transfers going forward than most will like.

Either way, it comes down to this, either call the thread a recruiting review of the past 4 years or call it an evaluation of talent level. If you want to say Nebraska can recruit the best in the Big Ten West, I would agree with that. Just don't tell me that they have the highest talent level in the division and give me recruiting rankings as evidence. Especially when those recruiting rankings are inaccurate and include a bunch of 5.8-6.0 4 star players that are no longer on the roster.

I didn't have time to finish Wisconsin and Northwestern, I had tutorials in my planning period, finals start tomorrow, maybe I can get some fun in while the kids are taking the test.

I agree completely. I don't believe Nebraska is the most talented in the west. I would put them below Wisconsin, Iowa and probably around or below Purdue.

You have until September. Nebraska is on the rise and everyone with half a brain knows it. 2019 will be vastly different than 2017 or 2018. So enjoy because your “streak” comes to an end in 2019.
In fairness this was said when Riley was getting his big Friday night lights calibraska classes and again last year at this time, and again now. And to a man, we all thought we would rule in a perceived ‘easier’ conference. None of this has happened.

I truly liked it when the fan base wasn’t full of trash talkers, and just kept our head politely down, watched the team kick a$$, then applauded opponent. No matter what heights Frost May take the team, it will assuredly be through a tough and hard fought road.

Reactions: E.RogerCoswell
In fairness this was said when Riley was getting his big Friday night lights calibraska classes and again last year at this time, and again now. And to a man, we all thought we would rule in a perceived ‘easier’ conference. None of this has happened.

I truly liked it when the fan base wasn’t full of trash talkers, and just kept our head politely down, watched the team kick a$$, then applauded opponent. No matter what heights Frost May take the team, it will assuredly be through a tough and hard fought road.

Ah the good ole days........before the internet and color TV, just head down and follow.

Eff that,

Reactions: cecilB

I doubt that you would dominated HF in the 80's and 90's.

to get back to recruitings, to some the star rankings is the end all to showing how good they are.
to others its all about recruiting players that fit into their schemes. this is what Kirk does and does it quite well. all you have to do is look at where kids were rankec and how/where they are/were now.
CB Jackson was a 2* he only started one season his JR year and left as a 1st Team AA and a 2nd round pick
MLB Jewell was a 2* starting the last 2 games of his RSFR season then was a 3 year full time starter, left as a 1st Team AA now starting for the Denver Bronco's
OLB Niemann was a 2* and started as a True SO now is playing for the KC Chiefs
SS Bob Sanders was a 2* was a 3 time 1st Team all BT retired from the Colts
LB Greenway was a 2* retired from the Vikings and was their Franchise player.

there are others but my point is clear. its not always about what a player is ranked as it is more about how they are used and develop
TE Fant was just a 3* and is going Pro after his True JR year
TE Hockenson was just a 2* and is a 1st Team AA and is a major prospect to go Pro after his RSSO season.

Reactions: kwicasso
I doubt that you would dominated HF in the 80's and 90's.
80s would have been a dandy of a series with the majority of the games true toss ups. 90s tilt HEAVILY toward Nebraska. The 90 and 91 Iowa teams were better in my opinion, but from 92-99...Nebraska was way, way better (92 and 97 would probably be good games with Nebraska likely winning - 92 Iowa was a tough out until little Hartlieb got hurt, 97 same thing - a tough out until injuries mounted - specifically Banks) In the 90s a couple of these hypothetical match-ups would hypothetically be really long days for Iowa.

80s would have been a dandy of a series with the majority of the games true toss ups. 90s tilt HEAVILY toward Nebraska. The 90 and 91 Iowa teams were better in my opinion, but from 92-99...Nebraska was way, way better (92 and 97 would probably be good games with Nebraska likely winning - 92 Iowa was a tough out until little Hartlieb got hurt, 97 same thing - a tough out until injuries mounted - specifically Banks) In the 90s a couple of these hypothetical match-ups would hypothetically be really long days for Iowa.

Noticed you didn’t mention the 1970’s:rolleyes: Iowa would have lost 9 out 10 easily... 83, 84 and 89 NU.
85,86,88 Iowa.. 87 tossup..

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT