ADVERTISEMENT

Stupid rule that needs to be changed

jedihusker

Senior
Aug 17, 2003
A little change of pace from the current discussion on here, but I wanted to discuss one rule that I find to be incredibly stupid and really needs to be changed. I realize with that blanket statement, you could probably come up with quite a few things that would fit that; like targeting for instance, but what I'm talking about is something that really doesn't come up very often, and may not be quite as obvious on how it can affect the outcome of a game, but it's come up at least twice that I know of this year, and in both situations didn't end up changing the outcome, but very well could have.

The rule I'm talking about is the 10-second run off, or more specifically what prevents a 10-second run off from happening. This came up in the Peach Bowl yesterday, near the end of the game; and also came up at the beginning of the season, in the game against Arkansas State. In both situations, something happened that would normally cause the clock to stop; and in both situations, that something happened in the last minute of a half. With the way the 10-second run off rule works, basically anything that happens in the last minute of a half that would normally stop the clock; like an injury, player losing his helmet, penalty, etc.; causes 10 seconds to be run off the clock, to prevent teams from faking injury, or purposely committing penalties or losing their helmet to stop the clock. This applies, unless the clock is already stopped for another reason, like an incomplete pass, player going out of bounds, etc... Also, if the team that committed the penalty or had an injury or whatever, has a timeout to give, they can also use that to prevent the run off.

This all makes logical sense, to prevent teams from doing something to stop the clock, the 10-second run off is in place, but can be prevented if there is no logical reason the team would be doing something specifically to stop the clock (basically if the clock was already stopped for one of a few reasons, or if there is a timeout available.) What does NOT make logical sense, and is the situation that is referenced in both the Peach Bowl and Arkansas State game, is a 10-second run off being prevented because the clock is stopped for a first down. This happened in the Peach Bowl, when the Auburn player was injured; and in the Arkansas State game when the player "lost" his helmet. In both situations, a run off was prevented, because the teams had just made a first down.

This makes absolutely zero logical sense. Most rules in football, though not all, generally at least have some sense of logic behind them; sometimes it might be fairly twisted logic, but still there is logic to the rule. The logic behind a false start being a penalty, for instance, is pretty straight forward. Faking the start of a play would be unfair, because it could draw the defense offside, or make it harder for them to determine when the play is actually starting, and slow them down. There could be an argument for whether or not someone's shoulder barely twitching should be counted as a false start, but in general, the penalty makes logical sense.

On the other hand, stopping a 10-second run off becuase the clock is stopped due to a first down makes zero logical sense. All other situations that can prevent the run off; player going out of bounds, incomplete pass or calling a timeout; are all things that would PERMANENTLY stop the clock, until the next play is ran. A first down is something that only stops the clock long enough to reset the chains, and then the clock is immediately restarted. By stopping the the run off this way, you essentially afford a team a way to get a free timeout; all you have to do is make a first down; then you can have someone fake an injury or something, and instead of only getting a clock stoppage long enough to run up to the LOS and get a quick play off, you get plenty of time to call a play and rest.

I'm not saying the Auburn player in the Peach Bowl yesterday faked his injury; it certainly looked real, but that doesn't really matter. They were still afforded a free timout they otherwise would not have gotten, solely for getting a first down, and stopping the clock for a few seconds. The radio commentators for the game yesterday actually commented on the stupidity of that rule too. In the situation yesterday, it may not have ended up mattering anyway, and it didn't end up mattering because the INT was thrown on the next play; but it easily could have mattered, in a situation where even 1 extra second could be the difference between game over and one final play to score a TD.

The situation in the ASU game, on the other hand, did directly have an impact on the game. ASU was afforded the opportunity to kick a field goal they never would have otherwise been able to get off, because a player "lost" his helmet. Without that field goal, when ASU is driving at the end of the game, instead of driving to possibly tie the game, they are simply driving to make the score look more respectable, since they would have had to score twice in a very short period of time, since they would have been down by 10, instead of 7. Of course in the refs had done their job properly, and penalized the ASU player for removing his helmet in the field of play, this would all be a moot point; but the discussion about refs doing their jobs properly is for another thread, with a 30 page dissertation by me.

A little change of pace from the current discussion on here, but I wanted to discuss one rule that I find to be incredibly stupid and really needs to be changed. I realize with that blanket statement, you could probably come up with quite a few things that would fit that; like targeting for instance, but what I'm talking about is something that really doesn't come up very often, and may not be quite as obvious on how it can affect the outcome of a game, but it's come up at least twice that I know of this year, and in both situations didn't end up changing the outcome, but very well could have.

The rule I'm talking about is the 10-second run off, or more specifically what prevents a 10-second run off from happening. This came up in the Peach Bowl yesterday, near the end of the game; and also came up at the beginning of the season, in the game against Arkansas State. In both situations, something happened that would normally cause the clock to stop; and in both situations, that something happened in the last minute of a half. With the way the 10-second run off rule works, basically anything that happens in the last minute of a half that would normally stop the clock; like an injury, player losing his helmet, penalty, etc.; causes 10 seconds to be run off the clock, to prevent teams from faking injury, or purposely committing penalties or losing their helmet to stop the clock. This applies, unless the clock is already stopped for another reason, like an incomplete pass, player going out of bounds, etc... Also, if the team that committed the penalty or had an injury or whatever, has a timeout to give, they can also use that to prevent the run off.

This all makes logical sense, to prevent teams from doing something to stop the clock, the 10-second run off is in place, but can be prevented if there is no logical reason the team would be doing something specifically to stop the clock (basically if the clock was already stopped for one of a few reasons, or if there is a timeout available.) What does NOT make logical sense, and is the situation that is referenced in both the Peach Bowl and Arkansas State game, is a 10-second run off being prevented because the clock is stopped for a first down. This happened in the Peach Bowl, when the Auburn player was injured; and in the Arkansas State game when the player "lost" his helmet. In both situations, a run off was prevented, because the teams had just made a first down.

This makes absolutely zero logical sense. Most rules in football, though not all, generally at least have some sense of logic behind them; sometimes it might be fairly twisted logic, but still there is logic to the rule. The logic behind a false start being a penalty, for instance, is pretty straight forward. Faking the start of a play would be unfair, because it could draw the defense offside, or make it harder for them to determine when the play is actually starting, and slow them down. There could be an argument for whether or not someone's shoulder barely twitching should be counted as a false start, but in general, the penalty makes logical sense.

On the other hand, stopping a 10-second run off becuase the clock is stopped due to a first down makes zero logical sense. All other situations that can prevent the run off; player going out of bounds, incomplete pass or calling a timeout; are all things that would PERMANENTLY stop the clock, until the next play is ran. A first down is something that only stops the clock long enough to reset the chains, and then the clock is immediately restarted. By stopping the the run off this way, you essentially afford a team a way to get a free timeout; all you have to do is make a first down; then you can have someone fake an injury or something, and instead of only getting a clock stoppage long enough to run up to the LOS and get a quick play off, you get plenty of time to call a play and rest.

I'm not saying the Auburn player in the Peach Bowl yesterday faked his injury; it certainly looked real, but that doesn't really matter. They were still afforded a free timout they otherwise would not have gotten, solely for getting a first down, and stopping the clock for a few seconds. The radio commentators for the game yesterday actually commented on the stupidity of that rule too. In the situation yesterday, it may not have ended up mattering anyway, and it didn't end up mattering because the INT was thrown on the next play; but it easily could have mattered, in a situation where even 1 extra second could be the difference between game over and one final play to score a TD.

The situation in the ASU game, on the other hand, did directly have an impact on the game. ASU was afforded the opportunity to kick a field goal they never would have otherwise been able to get off, because a player "lost" his helmet. Without that field goal, when ASU is driving at the end of the game, instead of driving to possibly tie the game, they are simply driving to make the score look more respectable, since they would have had to score twice in a very short period of time, since they would have been down by 10, instead of 7. Of course in the refs had done their job properly, and penalized the ASU player for removing his helmet in the field of play, this would all be a moot point; but the discussion about refs doing their jobs properly is for another thread, with a 30 page dissertation by me.
I think they need to get away from the clock stopping on a first down, period. Problem solved.

Interesting subject, as I wondered why the runoff didn’t happen at that time. Now I know it was because of the first down.

You make good points here, and I agree with you and RTC that something should be done.

Interesting subject, as I wondered why the runoff didn’t happen at that time. Now I know it was because of the first down.

You make good points here, and I agree with you and RTC that something should be done.
You basically give teams like 15 timeouts a half. That is why college games take a day and a half to play

You basically give teams like 15 timeouts a half. That is why college games take a day and a half to play
Wrong. They take a day and a half to play because of all of the TV commercials. I like the stoppage of clock after a first down. It isn't that long. Just enough time for the ref to set the ball in play. Maybe ten seconds?? Gives each team more possessions, which you need in college. I hate the NFL games where each team has like three possessions in a half. You blink and a quarter is half over.

Reactions: scarletred
Wrong. They take a day and a half to play because of all of the TV commercials. I like the stoppage of clock after a first down. It isn't that long. Just enough time for the ref to set the ball in play. Maybe ten seconds?? Gives each team more possessions, which you need in college. I hate the NFL games where each team has like three possessions in a half. You blink and a quarter is half over.
And if the game moved quicker there would be less chance for commercials. There does not need to be that much clock stoppage time, imo

Reactions: TwinsRRUs
College games are usually a half hour longer than the NFL...Big deal..

Leave it the way it is , there are other issues like Running backs grabbing face mask by stiff arming on a defensive back and they never call a penalty on them.

Reactions: Pennsyhusker
As for the OP's original point, one thought would be to give the team with the ball the option of losing a down instead of taking the 10-second runoff. They just made a first down, so if the injury doesn't happen there's a good chance they were probably going to spike the ball on first down to kill the clock anyway. So in that respect, they're not really rewarded by the injury or punished for it.

And if the game moved quicker there would be less chance for commercials. There does not need to be that much clock stoppage time, imo
Commercials never happen at a first down stoppage of clock. They are not the problem. The clock is only stopped for about ten seconds. The problem comes with every change of possession, every score, every injury, every official timeout, every replay review, every change of quarter. That is when the commercials roll in. And the problem has gotten worse because the commercial breaks keep getting longer. College football has had first down clock stoppage for decades and decades. Yet the problem of games going way too long is more recent. The difference? Instant replay reviews and endless commercials.

College games are usually a half hour longer than the NFL...Big deal..

Leave it the way it is , there are other issues like Running backs grabbing face mask by stiff arming on a defensive back and they never call a penalty on them.
Yeah... always wondered why offensive skill players rarely get called for facemasking when they do it all the time.

Commercials never happen at a first down stoppage of clock. They are not the problem. The clock is only stopped for about ten seconds. The problem comes with every change of possession, every score, every injury, every official timeout, every replay review, every change of quarter. That is when the commercials roll in. And the problem has gotten worse because the commercial breaks keep getting longer. College football has had first down clock stoppage for decades and decades. Yet the problem of games going way too long is more recent. The difference? Instant replay reviews and endless commercials.

Commercial breaks are never going away. They are built in to tv contracts.

There must be so many per quarter or per half. The length of commercial breaks is definitely an issue. I don't mind a commercial break during a long replay review, but it better not pause the game itself.

The only way to speed up a game is to change the rules of the game that deal with the clock, i.e. first down clock stoppage, incomplete pass clock stoppage, run out of bounds clock stoppage.

I like the 20 minute halftime rule. It helps shorten total game length but doesn't affect the game play itself in any way, besides less time for coaches to make adjustments.

Maybe if they would schedule games at 11:00 & 3:00 (instead of 11:00 & 2:30) then we wouldn't have games overlapping as much, causing us actually think about how long the game is taking.

The OU vs Georgia game still playing while the Clemson Bama game started? Poor scheduling times. Change the start times to fix that issue then most fans probably won't even realize that a game is taking so long.

Last edited:
Very good point OP.

This rule can easily be used to get an extra timeout at the end of a game to gain time to score.

Rules that can be abused need to be adjusted if they can be abused to change the outcome of a game.

Commercial breaks are never going away. They are built in to tv contracts.

There must be so many per quarter or per half. The length of commercial breaks is definitely an issue. I don't mind a commercial break during a long replay review, but it better not pause the game itself.

The only way to speed up a game is to change the rules of the game that deal with the clock, i.e. first down clock stoppage, incomplete pass clock stoppage, run out of bounds clock stoppage.

I like the 20 minute halftime rule. It helps shorten total game length but doesn't affect the game play itself in any way, besides less time for coaches to make adjustments.

Maybe if they would schedule games at 11:00 & 3:00 (instead of 11:00 & 2:30) then we wouldn't have games overlapping as much, causing us actually think about how long the game is taking.

The OU vs Georgia game still playing while the Clemson Bama game started? Poor scheduling times. Change the start times to fix that issue then most fans probably won't even realize that a game is taking so long.
Of course they are built into TV contracts. But contracts can change. Lessen the amount of commercials and the games get shorter. Greed is driving this. So now we want to change the way the game has been played for decades just so we can accommodate more commercials? Ugh

I think that, in general, football is getting too bogged down with more and more detailed rules of play. Most fans don't know a lot of them any more, even fans who have been watching for many years. And I'm guessing even a lot of current players don't know them all. I think that is a negative for the sport. They ought to work at simplifying the rulebook.

Umm... not sure if you know, but if they didn't stop it after first downs, there would be less possessions, therefore the commercial problem starts to get fixed.

Of course they are built into TV contracts. But contracts can change. Lessen the amount of commercials and the games get shorter. Greed is driving this. So now we want to change the way the game has been played for decades just so we can accommodate more commercials? Ugh
The game is changing, it looks way different than 20 years ago, whether people want to admit it or not. It is starting to resemble a cross between lacrosse and rugby.

Reactions: Pennsyhusker
I think they need to get away from the clock stopping on a first down, period. Problem solved.
No way... this rule makes college game much more interesting at the end because it allows for more comebacks and more 4th quarter drives. I've always liked this rule (except, of course, when someone is driving on Nebraska late)

Reactions: scarletred
Here’s my question:

In the corners of the end zone are pylons and supposedly if the ball tocuhes any part of the pylon it’s a touchdown. Yet the pylons are on the outside of the end zone so in essence someone could swipe the outside of the pylon and it never actually crosses the goal line.

Just never understood why that’s a TD.

I watched the replay of the game and became very suspicious when one of the trainers kept looking to the sideline like he was looking for direction on how long to stay out there. He never turned his eyes from the sideline.

Yes, I am too cynical.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT