ADVERTISEMENT

Last drive play calling - it sucked.

mgbreis

Defensive Coordinator
Dec 16, 2004
Surely this must have been discussed, but I can't wade through the manure to find it. I know I'm not the only one that, prior to the last drive, said out loud, "Do NOT, under any circumstances, try to force Sims to drive this team down the field with passes. That would be insane." How could Satterfield dial up multiple pass plays in a row knowing what Sims had shown in the passing game? How could Rhule let him? They should have been playing to get one first down. Then another, with the goal of simply working the clock and playing for overtime. The way our defense was playing I liked our chances in OT with no clock and the ability to run Sims. Everything else about the game aside, this is what I'll remember about this game.

Surely this must have been discussed, but I can't wade through the manure to find it. I know I'm not the only one that, prior to the last drive, said out loud, "Do NOT, under any circumstances, try to force Sims to drive this team down the field with passes. That would be insane." How could Satterfield dial up multiple pass plays in a row knowing what Sims had shown in the passing game? How could Rhule let him? They should have been playing to get one first down. Then another, with the goal of simply working the clock and playing for overtime. The way our defense was playing I liked our chances in OT with no clock and the ability to run Sims. Everything else about the game aside, this is what I'll remember about this game.
I agree. Worse comes to worse we have a field goal kicker that will do just fine and overtime. We also had opportunities to gash on the runs and we didn’t do that. We left way too much time on the clock and it showed.

I may or may not be in the majority opinion, but at the end of the first half I was shocked after they did not give the huskers a touchdown on the replay that you didn’t kick the field goal to tie the game and walk in even at halftime. The defensive blade great the office had been way below average all half and to not put points on the board any points on the board to get rid of that goose egg just seemed like it was going to be a problem later. Turned out it was.

We had a spread to cover. OT would've risked a push.

I didn't say that out loud because I just assumed even a middle-school coach knows you run the ball with your first string back and burn clock there.

Successful P5 OCs don't have to prove they are the smartest guys in the stadium, they do what is best for the team.

Reactions: mgbreis
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT