ADVERTISEMENT

Back from game

Husker.Wed.

Athletic Director
Feb 13, 2004
Omaha Metro
"If you can't take care of the ball, you can't play for us." If Sims stats at Colorado we know this statement is BS and/or Rhule plays favorites.

Where was Rahmir? Grant should be on a milk carton, not him.

Tommi at receiver?

John Bullock - 6 tackles and two of them were nasty hard-assed tackles. DeShon 7 tackles

Whoever called the two pass plays when we needed to burn clock in the 4th and go make a FG or at least punt should never hold a playsheet again.

Special teams much better.

Minnesota fans were nice - no problems with them. Parking around the stadium is a nightmare, not a lot of places and shuttles from further lots didn't run for a Thursday game. The stadium has mostly good seats. Lots of great food choices. The sound system absolutely sucked. They even needed closed-captioning at the bottom of the screen so the announcer could be understood.

IMO the coaches lost the game, not the players. No screens or draws to take the heat off SIms. No usage of the TEs. Clock management sucked. Went awat from what was working. Didn't sit Sims for awhile after the 2nd int.

Whoever called the two pass plays when we needed to burn clock in the 4th and go make a FG or at least punt should never hold a playsheet again.

Special teams much better...

IMO the coaches lost the game, not the players. No screens or draws to take the heat off SIms. No usage of the TEs. Clock management sucked. Went awat from what was working. Didn't sit Sims for awhile after the 2nd int.
Totally agree!!!

I was happy with ST and defense. Offensive play calling had my butthole puckering multiple times and I'm not talking about going for three vs the td, but call a fn time-out when your on the goal line.

I think the OC crapped the bed, and I think game management needs improvement.

I mostly agree. Not running the clock when we’re up 7 with 8ish minutes on the clock was a really bad coaching mistake, outside of that I think they called a pretty good game. Sims is not a good passer and can’t read a defense; this is now blatantly obvious. But he is athletic enough to win us 6-8 games if Rhule and Co. can coach around his weaknesses.

Downside… (other than the obvious, losing) Teams that can stop the run and are competent on offense, like Michigan, will kill us. We look the type of team that if you stop our ability to run the ball, you will beat us… 😕

"If you can't take care of the ball, you can't play for us." If Sims stats at Colorado we know this statement is BS and/or Rhule plays favorites.

Tommi at receiver?

John Bullock - 6 tackles and two of them were nasty hard-assed tackles. DeShon 7 tackles

Minnesota fans were nice - no problems with them. Parking around the stadium is a nightmare, not a lot of places and shuttles from further lots didn't run for a Thursday game. The stadium has mostly good seats. Lots of great food choices. The sound system absolutely sucked. They even needed closed-captioning at the bottom of the screen so the announcer could be understood.

Maybe plays favorites…. Or maybe he knows the other 2 QBs are much worse 🤷‍♂️

Tommi at receiver?

I think this is a pretty honest assessment. Everything but Sims can be fixed, Rhule will have to coach around his inability to read a defense. But the bad clock management, false starts and playing the wrong RB can be fixed. They are glaringly obvious mistakes and they will jump out on tape. Fix the execution and coaching mistakes and try mitigate our QB’s weaknesses.

Grant got demoted to 3rd string bc he fumbles, yet plays more than the starter, who doesn't fumble and avg 8 ypc. I have a wide berth in year one, but that was a nonsense game.
Curious that Grant was playing in the 4th Qtr, in a tight game, after broadcasting to the Gopher scouts that he had fumble problems. I imagine every Gopher defender was alerted to try & strip the ball.

Such a painful & aggravating loss.

Grant got demoted to 3rd string bc he fumbles, yet plays more than the starter, who doesn't fumble and avg 8 ypc. I have a wide berth in year one, but that was a nonsense game.
This. As many have said, what made this game so damn demoralizing wasn’t that we lost, but that the loss was preventable and we were in control of the game when Rhule decided to go all Scott Frost on us. And that is demoralizing because we have been told for months now that Rhule was a genuine big league coach who knows what the hell he is doing. We were told he was a seasoned veteran whose coaching skills were top notch. But then comes the 4th quarter of the game and he pisses down his leg and makes some of the dumbest decisions I have seen any coach make.

This. As many have said, what made this game so damn demoralizing wasn’t that we lost, but that the loss was preventable and we were in control of the game when Rhule decided to go all Scott Frost on us. And that is demoralizing because we have been told for months now that Rhule was a genuine big league coach who knows what the hell he is doing. We were told he was a seasoned veteran whose coaching skills were top notch. But then comes the 4th quarter of the game and he pisses down his leg and makes some of the dumbest decisions I have seen any coach make.
The series in the 4th Q when we passed three times when we needed to burn clock, the QB was struggling passing, and we had established the ability to run was full on Frost/Riley. Right when that was happening my phone lit up with "what the hell is he doing?" texts. That was right up there with the onside kick and passing to Ozigbo in the backfield when one more run would have sealed the game.

That was the most frustrating part of the game for me. Everything else being the same, running 80-100 seconds off the clock there would have not left time for Minny to drive for the last FG. It's like you say, if even middle school coaches know you burn clock there, why does a $72M coach make such a fundamental mistake? Other than he hired his buddy to be OC, Sat had to prove he was the smartest guy in the stadium, and Rhule let him get away with it.

We were at the game and had a similar experience. MN fans were nice - no problems at all. We stayed downtown and took the train to the Stadium, which was super easy. We were not shot, stabbed, raped, robbed or otherwise victims of rampant crime.

As for the game, the series where we threw the ball 3 times in the 4th quarter was frustrating. However, that was survivable. As it has been said repeatedly since Thursday - the INT in the endzone at the end of the first half; Grant's fumble; and Sims' final interception are all unforgiveable errors. Those things cannot be allowed to happen. NU did not need to do anything remarkable in those situations in order to win the game.

I guess you could say what NU DID do in those situations WAS remarkable.

We were at the game and had a similar experience. MN fans were nice - no problems at all. We stayed downtown and took the train to the Stadium, which was super easy. We were not shot, stabbed, raped, robbed or otherwise victims of rampant crime.

As for the game, the series where we threw the ball 3 times in the 4th quarter was frustrating. However, that was survivable. As it has been said repeatedly since Thursday - the INT in the endzone at the end of the first half; Grant's fumble; and Sims' final interception are all unforgiveable errors. Those things cannot be allowed to happen. NU did not need to do anything remarkable in those situations in order to win the game.

Remarkably stupid…

Spot in analyses…. My hope is that Rhule learns and makes changes. If we walk into next week and do the same thing then I will say Rhule is fundamentally flawed and it is going to be a long few years until we rotate again…. Very disappointing as I was hoping we were hiring a skilled coaching staff that had “it”……. So far, really not good…

Reactions: TampaBaySkers
Haha the dramatics are still going strong.
Disagree. This isn't a first year HC or even first year as a P5 HC. This is someone with many years as a HC, as a P5 HC, and as an NFL HC. Zero excuses for those kinds of mistakes/poor coaching decisions.
Players not executing and making mistakes is completely to be expected in their first year in a new system. A veteran head coach making the same mistakes that a newbie high school coach would make, is a glaring problem.

Disagree. This isn't a first year HC or even first year as a P5 HC. This is someone with many years as a HC, as a P5 HC, and as an NFL HC. Zero excuses for those kinds of mistakes/poor coaching decisions.
Players not executing and making mistakes is completely to be expected in their first year in a new system. A veteran head coach making the same mistakes that a newbie high school coach would make, is a glaring problem.
Exactly. A lot of people on these boards aren't willing to trust their eyes.

Tommi at receiver?

I agree with the play calling. Dropping sims back is not his strength but on that drive you be aggressive and try to win, I don't fault the coaches for that. Also agree on screens and Te's. We have zero speed to stretch the field, they tried to get a get hit with Hill but Sims through a bad ball. Rahmir should play more. Our line was atrocious and our so called fullback that "likes" to hit got his ass kicked. Looked like he ran into a brick wall. I would't say it was on all coaches, I would say 25% on coaches and 75% on players. Bone head penalties from veteran guys, bad reads from veteran guys.

Thankfully you made it out alive. Did you see any dead Husker fans or hear reports of Husker fans being murdered?

Reactions: Husker4real
I think this is a pretty honest assessment. Everything but Sims can be fixed, Rhule will have to coach around his inability to read a defense. But the bad clock management, false starts and playing the wrong RB can be fixed. They are glaringly obvious mistakes and they will jump out on tape. Fix the execution and coaching mistakes and try mitigate our QB’s weaknesses.
Kinda makes you miss Thompson. Casey shoulda stayed. Far and away better passer and play caller. I stated a few months ago that Rhule should've given Casey QB1 as he has the far better arm. While he's not as fast as Simms, Casey could pick up valuable yards

Kinda makes you miss Thompson. Casey shoulda stayed. Far and away better passer and play caller. I stated a few months ago that Rhule should've given Casey QB1 as he has the far better arm. While he's not as fast as Simms, Casey could pick up valuable yards
Some how Rhule was convinced Sims was his type of QB by whom I don’t know.But if Sims is a Junior has made they same mistakes for over two years, I don’t know if Satterfield correct him from the obvious looking off the receiver..

Because of his (Rhule’s) relationship with Collins? That’s why we have J.S. As our QB.

I think when you bring in your QB, he is almost guaranteed to start. He’s looking for that assurance. But as a coach, don't also say every job is open for competition.

If Sims turns over the ball 2 or 3 times v. Colorado, you have to pull him out.

Rhule and Satterfield will have to dummy down the play sheet for him to succeed, I think they are going to run him too much and probably get him hurt. Then we’ll find out what we have behind him. The guy I wish we had is Torres

The series in the 4th Q when we passed three times when we needed to burn clock, the QB was struggling passing, and we had established the ability to run was full on Frost/Riley. Right when that was happening my phone lit up with "what the hell is he doing?" texts. That was right up there with the onside kick and passing to Ozigbo in the backfield when one more run would have sealed the game.

That was the most frustrating part of the game for me. Everything else being the same, running 80-100 seconds off the clock there would have not left time for Minny to drive for the last FG. It's like you say, if even middle school coaches know you burn clock there, why does a $72M coach make such a fundamental mistake? Other than he hired his buddy to be OC, Sat had to prove he was the smartest guy in the stadium, and Rhule let him get away with it.
That series started with a deep pass. I think there were 2 or 3 long pass attempts made by Sims, not one was on target. Either he makes those plays in practice and he can’t under pressure or he never does. Going for the deep ball and failing rather than running the ball cost us on that possession.

That series started with a deep pass. I think there were 2 or 3 long pass attempts made by Sims, not one was on target. Either he makes those plays in practice and he can’t under pressure or he never does. Going for the deep ball and failing rather than running the ball cost us on that possession.

Deep shot to Hill was an attempt at the knockout punch. Thought it was a pretty good play call, he was open, ball was underthrown. 2nd pass, Kemp was wide open and their guy made a good play tipping it at the LoS. Third play was a checkdown for a few yards iirc.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT