ADVERTISEMENT

Stanford and Cal

moralvictories

First Team All-Big Ten
Jan 22, 2022
They escaped one sinking ship, only to board one that looks to have sprung a few leaks. The question is, what do they do if the ACC implodes like the PAC 12 did? Do they go back and join Oregon State and Washington State in the reconstructed PAC 12? Do them and the remainders of the ACC invite Oregon State and Washington State over to the ACC? Do they form some kind of academic elite conference similar to the Ivy League?

Reactions: dinglefritz
They escaped one sinking ship, only to board one that looks to have sprung a few leaks. The question is, what do they do if the ACC implodes like the PAC 12 did? Do they go back and join Oregon State and Washington State in the reconstructed PAC 12? Do them and the remainders of the ACC invite Oregon State and Washington State over to the ACC? Do they form some kind of academic elite conference similar to the Ivy League?
They would have very limited options. Mountain West or????

Reactions: dinglefritz
They rape someone or something? I guess missed that…
The fit is beyond obvious

Two very prestigious institutions that align very well in every way to the vast majority of the B1G

Academically, yes absolutely. As far as their sports programs are concerned, not so much.
Sports aren’t a consideration when expanding

Obviously

The Bay Area is well populated and the overall alignment goes without saying

Frankly I’m surprised they weren’t included in the original west coast package

cal brings nothing to football and hoops. stanford isn't much better. albeit they have had some good football history. i was in their stadium a few years ago for a k-state game. the environment was disappointing to say the least. actually, the single worst i've have ever experienced. and i've been to a number of venues. stanford's was just awful and that was with christian mcaffrey in their backfield.

Reactions: thall__
cal brings nothing to football and hoops. stanford isn't much better. albeit they have had some good football history. i was in their stadium a few years ago for a k-state game. the environment was disappointing to say the least. actually, the single worst i've have ever experienced. and i've been to a number of venues. stanford's was just awful and that was with christian mcaffrey in their backfield.
Palo Alto is gorgeous, the Stanford campus is incredible

You expected rowdy football fans?

Palo Alto is gorgeous, the Stanford campus is incredible

You expected rowdy football fans?
i lived out there for three years. i got pretty much what i expected. the corner cafe pancakes are really good though. that was my positive takeaway.

They won't be the only teams scrambling if the B1G and SEC steal the best from the ACC.

Reactions: V-Doub
Stanford has deep pockets, both academically and sports wise. Their facilities are amazing. I don't think they're worried.

The only draw back that I can think of is their annoying snobbery.

Reactions: arf_man and Laner2
Would be great to see Aaron Rodgers and Jared Goff included in the all-time B1G passing lists

B1G gonna retro-actively going to adopt USC’s and UW’s national championships and Heisman trophies? lol No thanks, I say we let aTm and the SEC celebrate fake championships. JMO

B1G gonna retro-actively going to adopt USC’s and UW’s national championships and Heisman trophies? lol No thanks, I say we let aTm and the SEC celebrate fake championships. JMO
Of course

And UCLA’s basketball history

Reactions: V-Doub
Of course

And UCLA’s basketball history

UCLA might double the B1G’s NCAA titles by themselves. Well, not quite but those are UCLA’s titles. Just ours are Nebraska’s, B1G gets no(or shouldn’t) credit for what we did before things happened that Nostradamus couldn’t predict.

Nobody out there in the Bay area gives a crap about college sports.

Nobody out there in the Bay area gives a crap about college sports.
they do "the big game" which is stanford/cal but that's about it. they are a snotty, arrogant, pretentious lot without peer in the b10 or b12. smart liberals.

you need to visit stanford or cal sometime. i worked with those people at chevron.
I'm confident that even the Bay Area's most self-important, self-absorbed egomaniacs have absolutely nothing on you.

Academically, yes absolutely. As far as their sports programs are concerned, not so much.
Ahhh yes, let's take a look at the athletic success of each of the programs over the last 20 years:

Football
Nebraska 136-113
Stanford 138-108
California 122-119

Basketball
Nebraska 313-324
Stanford 362-290
California 325-325

Director's Cup Winners (last 20 years)
Stanford 16

Director's Cup Top Ten Finishes
California 10

I believe Stanford and Cal are excellent choices for the Big 10.

Ahhh yes, let's take a look at the athletic success of each of the programs over the last 20 years:

Football
Nebraska 136-113
Stanford 138-108
California 122-119

Basketball
Nebraska 313-324
Stanford 362-290
California 325-325

Director's Cup Winners (last 20 years)
Stanford 16

Director's Cup Top Ten Finishes
California 10

I believe Stanford and Cal are excellent choices for the Big 10.
How many national championships in football and men's basketball do Stanford and Cal have?

Stanford used to be quite good in basketball - not sure what's happened to them recently. Of course, the same could be said for USC and UCLA basketball - yikes.

At the present time Stanford continues to be a top soccer university, something which I know a lot of you could care less about. Nevertheless, Cardinal Soccer usually is competing for NCAA national championships. My kid goes to their games all the time.

The campus is beautiful (although I think UDub is far superior - views of Mt. Rainier from the square - rich people sail their boats into Husky stadium, etc. etc.) they have huge endowments and lots of rich alums. They'll do fine where ever they end up.

worked for chevron at 575 market and lived north of the city in rohnert park. once looked out my kitchen window to see the "say hey kid" on the tee box. that was my finest memory of living and working out there. 5:15 am green bus every morning. what a drag, so to speak.
Husband grew up in Menlo Park so have been visiting that area for decades. We're visiting our kid in San Mateo soon so hope to make it into the city to visit my favorite areas - North Beach (for tiramisu) and Chinatown (for lunch).

Reactions: dpnavy
Husband grew up in Menlo Park so have been visiting that area for decades. We're visiting our kid in San Mateo soon so hope to make it into the city to visit my favorite areas - North Beach (for tiramisu) and Chinatown (for lunch).
tadich grill downtown was always my favorite lunch spot. most arrogant waiters but best seafood in "the city." sausalito's scoma's for dinner petrale sole with a grand marnier souffle'. the view and boardwalk are amazing.

AF1QipNmp0cQyas5Nav02_R51FTXYUWRSjM2Rdm-wNgP=s1360-w1360-h1020

US_Sausalito_US_Header.jpg

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT