ADVERTISEMENT

OT: ACC invites Stanford, Cal, SMU

McMurphy also stated the three negative votes were from Clemson, Florida State, and North Carolina, and ESPN’s Pete Thamel added that NC State flipping its vote was the deciding factor.

The Mustangs will enter the conference with an interesting stipulation, however. Per McMurphy, SMU will not receive any media rights revenue for the first seven years, while Stanford and Cal will receive reduced revenue shares compared to other conference members.

https://www.underdogdynasty.com/202...nal-cal-golden-bears-aac-realignment-football

And the fact that they were willing to come in for free.
I wonder if there are any safeguards in the contract from keeping the conferences from booting them out. A decade from now TV contracts probably won’t amount to much. Also, seems like a huge gamble since the ACC may not even exist in 7 years.

Reactions: rolanders
I wonder if there are any safeguards in the contract from keeping the conferences from booting them out. A decade from now TV contracts probably won’t amount to much. Also, seems like a huge gamble since the ACC may not even exist in 7 years.

Yeah, but as opposed to what other option? None of the other P4s wanted them and have made that pretty clear. So, it's not like they were leaving money on the table. Plus, I don't think they really need the money. Their boosters have really deep pockets. ACC gets to add a major TV market for free and SMU gets a seat at the big boy table and no money instead of no seat at the big boy table and no money, which were their only 2 options. I think it's a win/win.

Reactions: WHCSC
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT