ADVERTISEMENT

Spring practice

Summer workouts are generally "voluntary" primarily because school isn't in session.

The NCAA could allow summer make up practices but I suspect they may not because although teams would be overall rusty in the fall they'd all start from the same competitive footing.

I would think that if everyone is in the same boat so to speak, then teams will just forget about spring ball. And the players will not miss it.

Summer workouts are generally "voluntary" primarily because school isn't in session.

The NCAA could allow summer make up practices but I suspect they may not because although teams would be overall rusty in the fall they'd all start from the same competitive footing.
Actually, some teams have gotten much of their spring work in, some started a week or two ago plus

Actually, some teams have gotten much of their spring work in, some started a week or two ago plus

Since it remains to be seen how long the virus is going to be a thing I don't think the NCAA is really worried at this time whether Bama had some practices in March and Nebraska didn't when people start playing games for real in late August.

If they start playing games for real. Several scenarios have the life of this thing from 6-18 months. If it doesn't...NU isn't a playoff team this year so it's not going to matter too much when most of the rest of the country is in the same boat showing up having not done anything in quite some time.

Since it remains to be seen how long the virus is going to be a thing I don't think the NCAA is really worried at this time whether Bama had some practices in March and Nebraska didn't when people start playing games for real in late August.

If they start playing games for real. Several scenarios have the life of this thing from 6-18 months. If it doesn't...NU isn't a playoff team this year so it's not going to matter too much when most of the rest of the country is in the same boat showing up having not done anything in quite some time.
If things continue that long, what exactly are the restrictions? When people, 'experts', and experts they are, in their medical field, when they say things like that, it plays against life itself, so restrictions will change as time goes by.
If we have no entertainment,sacrifice too many of our traditions, things wont go well no matter the restrictions. The balance struck is imperative, and soon we will be hearing this, as we hit the isolation stretch of this.
So, the more we have thats been infected, the more of a fire wall built in with their antibodies, the closer we get to a vaccine, we will know how weather or season effects it etc, and readjusting back to normal asap for the health of our society at some point will either overtake risk, or, we also keep the peak off of this very important curve as well.
Just looking ahead here.

If things continue that long, what exactly are the restrictions? When people, 'experts', and experts they are, in their medical field, when they say things like that, it plays against life itself, so restrictions will change as time goes by.
If we have no entertainment,sacrifice too many of our traditions, things wont go well no matter the restrictions. The balance struck is imperative, and soon we will be hearing this, as we hit the isolation stretch of this.
So, the more we have thats been infected, the more of a fire wall built in with their antibodies, the closer we get to a vaccine, we will know how weather or season effects it etc, and readjusting back to normal asap for the health of our society at some point will either overtake risk, or, we also keep the peak off of this very important curve as well.
Just looking ahead here.

a very good simulation of the intended effects of social distancing. We need to attempt to balance the rate at which people get sick with the rate of recovery - ideally after the initial wave (which isolation will help to blunt) the rate at which people are getting ill will equal the rate at which people are recovering and then recovery will outpace getting ill

it is the young minimally symptomatic people who are out in the bars - night clubs - restaurants - playing in basketball tourneys (congrats to Burke!) who are spreading this

Reactions: dinglefritz
Just looking ahead here.

I don't think anyone really knows the answer to your question.

If I were a policy maker... realistically we can't quarantine the country forever. People have to work at some point over a period of six to 18 months to keep society moving.

However things like large social gatherings may not need to occur such as taking 90,000 people and sitting them on top of each other in memorial stadium for 12+ weeks of the season.

I would think that if it's bad enough policy makers will keep restrictions on entertainment even if the bulk of the economy goes back to work. It could be that it's tv only football season...or no football at all.

Myself as big as a Husker fan that I've been in my life I'm not going to cry if this season isn't like all the others. Just take it as it goes and make the calls from there.

I spent a grand this week buying tickets to a couple concerts at the Kennedy Center in DC in May and June so it's not like I think we'll be in quarantine forever....but it's certainly possible restrictions last long past I think they will.

I spent a grand this week buying tickets to a couple concerts at the Kennedy Center in DC in May and June so it's not like I think we'll be in quarantine forever....but it's certainly possible restrictions last long past I think they will.
Optimism turns the world at times

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT