ADVERTISEMENT

QB depth chart

scojo16

Oct 12, 2019
If CT is out for awhile, which no one seems to know, what would the status be of either Haarberg or Masker getting some playing time? Every spring we hear how good they competed, and, if I remember correctly, the looked pretty good in the spring game, for what that's worth. After their play on Saturday, would either of them be any worse than Purdy or Smothers? Are they really not any good, or is it simply they are not getting a chance to play?

If CT is out for awhile, which no one seems to know, what would the status be of either Haarberg or Masker getting some playing time? Every spring we hear how good they competed, and, if I remember correctly, the looked pretty good in the spring game, for what that's worth. After their play on Saturday, would either of them be any worse than Purdy or Smothers? Are they really not any good, or is it simply they are not getting a chance to play?
I’ve been impressed by Masker’s decision making in the spring game. Whipple is married to Purdy and CT. I think the only reason Smothers plays over Masker is his athleticism and game experience.

Reactions: jsachisler
People talk about the “it” factor, and while I like Logan, I think he’s missing “it.”
I just don’t see the sense of urgency with him leading the squad.
I see more of that from Purdy at least, but he looked completely ill-prepared for the moment, which also points to Whipple.

Any qb would look good against our D

All I know is Smothers has played one game and he took a 10-win Iowa team to the brink. Yeah, he blew it eventually but I thought there was potential. Please, not Purdy. Anyway, doesn't matter. PJ is gonna kick our ass again and we'll be left to console ourselves with "next year."

I would have Smothers and MJ get together for a little film study, give Whip about 6-9 option plays and have them practice the crap of it. On Saturday inform Whip that there is playing field outside the tackles and incorporate the 6-9 plays into the game.

The option should only be foreign to Whip, but all he needs to do is lean on MJ on when to call them... but what do I know.

If frost was OC, I'd give us a chance to at least put up some pts with Logan. Don't think there's any chance with whip and any qb not named Casey that will produce pts.

I’ve been impressed by Masker’s decision making in the spring game. Whipple is married to Purdy and CT. I think the only reason Smothers plays over Masker is his athleticism and game experience.
B1G regular season games are a hell of a lot different than some no tackle spring game. Leave the decision making to the coaching staff, Mickey knows what he's doing.

All I know is Smothers has played one game and he took a 10-win Iowa team to the brink. Yeah, he blew it eventually but I thought there was potential. Please, not Purdy. Anyway, doesn't matter. PJ is gonna kick our ass again and we'll be left to console ourselves with "next year."
The problem is that we don’t run the offense anymore that he had success with. We’re also missing that NFL center he was taking snaps from….

The QB depth chart is Ct, Purdy, Smothers, Masker then Harberg. They made Purdy play hurt Saturday after Smothers threw an interception that was absolute garbage. Harberg didn't even have his name on his jersey for the game. I'm not sure how people keep blaming Whipple for Purdy and Smothers sucking. He can only play the trash hand he's been dealt.

The QB depth chart is Ct, Purdy, Smothers, Masker then Harberg. They made Purdy play hurt Saturday after Smothers threw an interception that was absolute garbage. Harberg didn't even have his name on his jersey for the game. I'm not sure how people keep blaming Whipple for Purdy and Smothers sucking. He can only play the trash hand he's been dealt.
Whipple joined Nebraska in December as the OC.

Purdy and Thompson transferred in January. They were hand picked by Whipple.

You may want to watch the game again - Smothers did NOT throw an interception. Purdy did. Thompson threw 2.

There is a reason he didn't hit the portal.....
Hello

There is a reason he didn't hit the portal.....
Hello
Well, that's really clever to say but unfortunately I saw Purdy with my own two eyes on Saturday. If you watched Smothers play against Iowa and Purdy against Illinois and you still think that smart ass comments about Smothers are the way to go, then I question whether you know anything about football. Smothers moved the ball. Purdy looked like he'd be on the bench for Doane.

Does Beau Davis have any eligibility left? Maybe a Covid year or something?
Good old Bones. The guy could sling it though. It wasn’t his fault that our O line couldn’t pass block. It’s interesting with all of the QBs that Callahan brought in he did find 2 guys who could play in Taylor and Ganz. Ganz didn’t have any other D1 offers for football. In hindsight he maybe should have stuck with baseball. He might still be playing ball

You said “Mickey knows what he’s doing”. Mickey has said he wouldn’t meddle in Whip’s offense. Clearly our back up QB play and the play selection for those QBs was an issue.
That tells me all I need to know on why Mickey shouldn't be the HC. He's been an offensive coach for most of his adult life. Of course he has the right to meddle in his own offense.

That tells me all I need to know on why Mickey shouldn't be the HC. He's been an offensive coach for most of his adult life. Of course he has the right to meddle in his own offense.
There has clearly been some conflict between Mickey and Whip but he’s got to ride with him at this point.

How come Nebraska can't have a backup quarterback ready to go. Everyone else has a serviceable qb that can run their offense. These coaches are trying to teach calculus to these young men on a football field. Dumb the offense down so these players have a chance. So sick of this crap from these coaches. FIGURE IT OUT!

Reactions: BleedRed78
NU has thrown 245 passes in the 8 games, or 30 passes a game.
Who here wants either Purdy or Smothers throwing it 30 times a game?
Nope. Best bet to win this season was obviously CT. If he can't go, there's a zero percent chance we win next week with Purdy chucking it all over the yard. Barring injury, it has to be Smothers.

There has clearly been some conflict between Mickey and Whip but he’s got to ride with him at this point.
I resourcefully disagree dingle. Mickey is the boss right now, and if he wants Whipple to change up at least a little in approach and personnel, Whipple has to jump. Or else he can leave too.

I say this as someone who likes Whipple. But the dude is stubborn and will try playing his game even without the horses needed for it. Adjustment is a key part of coordinating, and we clearly need adjusting if we're going to win even one more game this season...

Reactions: oldjar07
Nope. Best bet to win this season was obviously CT. If he can't go, there's a zero percent chance we win next week with Purdy chucking it all over the yard. Barring injury, it has to be Smothers.
And if not Smothers, then it needs to be Harrberg or Masker..

I swear if it's purdy again, I won't even watch. Got better shit to do!

I could care less if he ends up transferring tbh. Seen enough of him to know what we've got in him. And I was high on him early on. Not anymore...

How come Nebraska can't have a backup quarterback ready to go. Everyone else has a serviceable qb that can run their offense. These coaches are trying to teach calculus to these young men on a football field. Dumb the offense down so these players have a chance. So sick of this crap from these coaches. FIGURE IT OUT!
Please name names. Yes, you can find some good backups, but teams generally suck if the backup comes in unless you are at a 5 star program. Even Ohio St, Bama and others fall off from the top guy. Most teams try to get reps for their backups but the starter is there for a reason and they are prepping them the most.

Please name names. Yes, you can find some good backups, but teams generally suck if the backup comes in unless you are at a 5 star program. Even Ohio St, Bama and others fall off from the top guy. Most teams try to get reps for their backups but the starter is there for a reason and they are prepping them the most.
KSU has had several years of good backups coming in and winning I believe. Okie lite as well.

Purdue sure has always had some third string looking like a Heisman against us...

Reactions: InMotion
KSU has had several years of good backups coming in and winning I believe. Okie lite as well.

Purdue sure has always had some third string looking like a Heisman against us...
Against us with Purdue yes, everyone else, not so much. Like I said. You can find examples like the KSU kid or a few others, but most teams have a pretty large drop off, especially right out of the gate.

I did not understand Mickey's press conference talking about Purdy. It seemed like Mickey was trying too hard to rationalize playing Purdy. He said Purdy just lacks confidence and he further stated needs to be given encouragement on every play. I do not understand how you can put out on the field a player who lacks confidence. Especially a quarterback. If Purdy plays this weekend the game is going to be just another miserable game to watch. The towel has been thrown in before the game even starts. If he starts Purdy and then pulls him to play Smothers, it is like the coaching staff wants to handicap Smothers and the team. The Huskers will be playing from behind. I believe if you really want to give your team confidence you put the best players out there from the start. I am glad the game starts here at 9:00am. Get me out of my misery early. This may all be Whipple's doing, but Mickey is the head coach.

We don't run the stuff that Logan can run. That went out the door with frost. Beckton is the only one left who has any familiarity with that offense. We're going to be 3-8 heading into the Iowa game.

purdy has been a real dud...I'm supprised fsu's #2 qb can't throw the ball..the only time he played this year before the last game was when our backs were 2 yards from the endzone...for a play or two...

I'm good with smothers runing the ball or handing off to the rb...maybe a pass here or there..
this would have been a good game for martinez instead of being at kstate watching their qb

purdy has been a real dud...I'm supprised fsu's #2 qb can't throw the ball..the only time he played this year before the last game was when our backs were 2 yards from the endzone...for a play or two...

I'm good with smothers runing the ball or handing off to the rb...maybe a pass here or there..
this would have been a good game for martinez instead of being at kstate watching their qb
Purdy is a turnover waiting to happening.

Well let's see here. Nebraska doesn't have a serviceable backup at any position on offense or defense. What makes you think the QB would be any different? 90% of the starters aren't serviceable.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT