ADVERTISEMENT

Sounds like

SuperBigFan

Defensive Coordinator
Jun 10, 2021
Again, just passing along stuff I get told BUT I have heard and I don't really even know if this is "news" and more than likely everyone knows, so please just know I am simply sharing what I get told.

But I have been told that "it looks like Sims is out for a week or two and HH will be starting"

I heard Sam McKewon say on a podcast that they need to go back to an uptempo spread offense. He thinks that our OL isn’t good enough to play methodically and move people off the los consistently. He added that because we play slow on offense it makes execution so much more important, obviously they are not disciplined enough to do that. He continued by saying that perhaps Sims tenses up with the pressure to play perfectly and that may be what partially causes his turnovers.

I know some think he’s an idiot on here, interesting take regardless.

Last edited:
Again, just passing along stuff I get told BUT I have heard and I don't really even know if this is "news" and more than likely everyone knows, so please just know I am simply sharing what I get told.

But I have been told that "it looks like Sims is out for a week or two and HH will be starting"
You could be correct. When Rhule is talking about Sims this week in his presser he was always referring to when Healthy Jeff is our QB1.

Reactions: headcard
I heard Sam McKewon say on a podcast that they need to go back to an uptempo spread offense. He think that our OL isn’t good enough to play methodically and move people of the los consistently. He added that because we play slow on offense it makes execution so much more important, obviously they are not disciplined enough to do that. He continued by saying that perhaps Sims tenses up with the pressure to play perfectly and that may be what partially causes his turnovers.

We ran the ball pretty damned effectively up the middle. It would have been just fine if we had taken care of the ball. The only tempo issue we had was we were slow getting the play off a couple of times. I think some of that was communication issues due to the crowd noise. Does anybody else wonder if Deion had crowd noise piped in over their sound system. It seemed way too loud for the number of CU fans in the stands.

We ran the ball pretty damned effectively up the middle. It would have been just fine if we had taken care of the ball. The only tempo issue we had was we were slow getting the play off a couple of times. I think some of that was communication issues due to the crowd noise. Does anybody else wonder if Deion had crowd noise piped in over their sound system. It seemed way too loud for the number of CU fans in the stands.
I was thinking the same as I was sitting there. It seemed awful loud for that size of stadium.

Reactions: dinglefritz
When you don’t prepare your team for crowd noise, you tend to look unprepared to handle crowd noise

I heard Sam McKewon say on a podcast that they need to go back to an uptempo spread offense. He thinks that our OL isn’t good enough to play methodically and move people of the los consistently. He added that because we play slow on offense it makes execution so much more important, obviously they are not disciplined enough to do that. He continued by saying that perhaps Sims tenses up with the pressure to play perfectly and that may be what partially causes his turnovers.

I would think running up tempo would expose our lack of athletes more, plus more 3 amd outs means the defense is getting run out there more often.

I would think running up tempo would expose our lack of athletes more, plus more 3 amd outs means the defense is getting run out there more often.
We can spread out but not run tempo. But then again I thought HH looked pretty comfortable running from the I under center in the spring game...

Run trap, option, counter, power, and play action off of those. Maybe some screens. Just don't turn the ball over and our defense gives us a chance to win.

Either that or go spread shotgun, short screen passes to the perimeter, mixed with power run game out of shotgun, no tempo.

There definitely were some good runs with textbook blocking, but other times they got stonewalled up the middle by CU’s front seven. My worry is that if they couldn’t consistently move CU’s line, how will they fair in the BIG?

I heard Sam McKewon say on a podcast that they need to go back to an uptempo spread offense. He thinks that our OL isn’t good enough to play methodically and move people off the los consistently. He added that because we play slow on offense it makes execution so much more important, obviously they are not disciplined enough to do that. He continued by saying that perhaps Sims tenses up with the pressure to play perfectly and that may be what partially causes his turnovers.

That makes absolutely no sense. Running up tempo with less than stellar execution does nothing but put the defense back on the field quickly. When you have a defense that is capable of stopping the run, as this defense as shown the ability to do after 2 games. Why would you want to put them back out there every 2-3 minutes with an offense that cannot execute? It would have the same net effect as turning the ball over after marching down the field.

That makes absolutely no sense. Running up tempo with less than stellar execution does nothing but put the defense back on the field quickly. When you have a defense that is capable of stopping the run, as this defense as shown the ability to do after 2 games. Why would you want to put them back out there every 2-3 minutes with an offense that cannot execute? It would have the same net effect as turning the ball over after marching down the field.
True, just thought it was an interesting take. I think they need to condense the offense down to only a couple formations/personnel groups, too much going on to be cohesive.

My main suspicion is this offense has more problems than just turnovers.

True, just thought it was an interesting take. I think they need to condense the offense down to only a couple formations/personnel groups, too much going on to be cohesive.

it is interesting

I am very curious to see what, if anything, changes this weekend

Sam also says he was screaming for Rhule to kick a FG with 11 seconds to go before the half against Minnesota. I gotta question the dudes football IQ after that statement.

The problem isn't with the number of plays, formations or personnel groups though. Why would you reduce that? The issue was interceptions against Minnesota and catching a shotgun snap against Colorado. Even with the interceptions vs Minnesota, if there isn't a fumble as the team was driving to put the game out of reach, Nebraska wins the game.

People spend so much time trying to find a solution when they haven't even identified the actual problem.

For Nebraska, the problem is turnovers. Fix the silent snap count and there are 2 less fumbles at Colorado. Although only one fumble was lost, the second killed a drive. Then there have been 4 interceptions, 1/2 of them were inside the opponents 50, 1 of them in the opponents end zone. None of those issues have to do with too many formations or personnel groups, hell or even cohesion.

Sam's a moron so

If HH doesn't light it up, will we finally just agree that our QB room is crap, and realize that Rhule isn't insane for not playing him?

That being said, I absolutely hope he does, throws for 700 yards and we win 100-7 and he ends up being the greatest Nebraska QB ever.

The problem isn't with the number of plays, formations or personnel groups though. Why would you reduce that? The issue was interceptions against Minnesota and catching a shotgun snap against Colorado. Even with the interceptions vs Minnesota, if there isn't a fumble as the team was driving to put the game out of reach, Nebraska wins the game.

People spend so much time trying to find a solution when they haven't even identified the actual problem.

For Nebraska, the problem is turnovers. Fix the silent snap count and there are 2 less fumbles at Colorado. Although only one fumble was lost, the second killed a drive. Then there have been 4 interceptions, 1/2 of them were inside the opponents 50, 1 of them in the opponents end zone. None of those issues have to do with too many formations or personnel groups, hell or even cohesion.
the unforced nature of all but 1 of those turnovers is frustrating

Sims had guys around his feet on one INT vs Minn and he sailed it - I'll give him the benefit of the doubt

but the others he wasn't even touched

If HH doesn't light it up, will we finally just agree that our QB room is crap

That being said, I absolutely hope he does, throws for 700 yards and we win 100-7 and he ends up being the greatest Nebraska QB ever.
yes

and YES!!!!

Major League Baseball Please GIF by Detroit Tigers

Reactions: BleedRed78

So there's a chance that HH has one week left of being liked by the fans. After Saturday he will invariably be hated for an interception, fumble, mishandled snap, boneheaded decision etc... . We may find out that the backups are backups for a reason. Now it is a game against an inferior foe, so it may take two weeks for him to fall out of grace. But, if recent history proves correct HH will most likely be considered a poor qb within the month of September. Good luck HH.

If HH does light it up, can you refrain from a bunch of posts about how bad Rhule sucks for not starting him sooner? Please!

Gotta say, I do give you props for not taking too many victory laps (that I saw anyway) that HH is clearly the #2.
I don't think Rhule is an idiot for not starting him

have never said that 1 time

he has to play his handpicked guy. totally get that. and Haarberg is as raw as it gets in the passing game.

but if it's clear - not just to me but to everyone - that the team is responding to HH being the quarterback and Rhule lets Sims go out and turn the ball over a bunch again, I will be pretty disappointed. And I will not be alone.

If HH doesn't light it up, will we finally just agree that our QB room is crap, and realize that Rhule isn't insane for not playing him?

He doesn't have to light it up. He just has to be efficient and not turn it over to be an improvement over what we've seen. We have to either score more or stop turning it over. I think is it too much to ask for both at this point.

Miscues by HH would even be somewhat understandable given how little he's played but when Sims has 3+ years of starting experience he should be able to simply do the basic stuff like stay in bounds to run the clock down. Or know you can't force a pass in the end zone when you are in a low scoring dog fight.

He doesn't have to light it up. He just has to be efficient and not turn it over to be an improvement over what we've seen. We have to either score more or stop turning it over. I think is it too much to ask for both at this point.

Miscues by HH would even be somewhat understandable given how little he's played but when Sims has 3+ years of starting experience he should be able to simply do the basic stuff like stay in bounds to run the clock down. Or know you can't force a pass in the end zone when you are in a low scoring dog fight.
I hope they're running endless pocket clock drills with HH this week

Reactions: Truewooper
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT