ADVERTISEMENT

Sometimes You Just Have to Let People Die

Status
Not open for further replies.

SLOHusker

Senior
Aug 7, 2001
In the animal kingdom, and throughout human history, diseases have weeded out the weakest members of the population. Those that survived passed along resistance and stronger immune systems. It helped control the population and ensured the survival and opportunities for the younger population to breed and be successful.

Here we have a disease that has basically zero effect on the youngest cohorts but kills a disproportionately higher number of the aged and infirm. This is not ebola or polio or smallpox, all diseases that killed the youngest and healthiest along with the sickest and the weakest. But in order to try to give these most infirm more time, we've stripped the livelihoods of the young away, taken away their opportunities in school, in sports, in activities, in jobs, as entrepreneurs, etc. We've made many unemployed, we've made many sap their savings accounts, and lose opportunities to travel and grow as human beings. We've made them fearful, depressed, isolated, and in many cases unhealthier.

It's time to push back hard on this and level with the government and society as a whole. We know what the case data says. We know who does and doesn't get sick and we see the very low mortality rates. We're sick of the BS fear-mongering and inaccurate data and dangling of a vaccine that may never be produced and will likely have minimal effectiveness. Enough of the bullshit.

Yes, some will die. We accept that. It's called life, and death ends every life. But we shouldn't continue to try to hold up the lives of the youngest, and really the most important generations, to preserve the most elderly among us. My parents are now elderly and I love them. But I know they would agree and support everything I have said here.

In the animal kingdom, and throughout human history, diseases have weeded out the weakest members of the population. Those that survived passed along resistance and stronger immune systems. It helped control the population and ensured the survival and opportunities for the younger population to breed and be successful.

Here we have a disease that has basically zero effect on the youngest cohorts but kills a disproportionately higher number of the aged and infirm. This is not ebola or polio or smallpox, all diseases that killed the youngest and healthiest along with the sickest and the weakest. But in order to try to give these most infirm more time, we've stripped the livelihoods of the young away, taken away their opportunities in school, in sports, in activities, in jobs, as entrepreneurs, etc. We've made many unemployed, we've made many sap their savings accounts, and lose opportunities to travel and grow as human beings. We've made them fearful, depressed, isolated, and in many cases unhealthier.

It's time to push back hard on this and level with the government and society as a whole. We know what the case data says. We know who does and doesn't get sick and we see the very low mortality rates. We're sick of the BS fear-mongering and inaccurate data and dangling of a vaccine that may never be produced and will likely have minimal effectiveness. Enough of the bullshit.

Yes, some will die. We accept that. It's called life, and death ends every life. But we shouldn't continue to try to hold up the lives of the youngest, and really the most important generations, to preserve the most elderly among us. My parents are now elderly and I love them. But I know they would agree and support everything I have said here.

2ig9ry.jpg

Wrong and your dismissal of fact is part of the politicizing of this whole sad affair. What OP said is literally fact. No amount of woke is going to overcome the facts that this virus kills the elderly and morbidly infirmed in society.

Your Hitler remark shows how utterly uneducated you are.

Not really. I think you are out of your mind. You want to let the elderly and infirmed die? Good luck on that. Kind of the opposite of WWJD. Don't you think?

This is why I come here. For compelling posts like this.. Laughing

Reactions: TheBeav815
We're in the very beginning of this. Attitudes will change when there is massive unrest, foreclosures, shuttered companies, destruction of wealth, rampant unemployment and hopelessness on a wide scale. I am saddened by how mentally fragile our society is.

Reactions: meo1960
And you are a dumbass that isn't afraid to let it show all for the sake of not cancelling or postponing your entertainment.
Or for the sake of our country not becoming a third world country!! Original poster is spot on! The liberal virus is nothing more than a scam anyways.

Is this a... death panel?

Need to end the attitude of, "Because of an irrational fear of death, we are cancelling life", very soon.

Not really. I think you are out of your mind. You want to let the elderly and infirmed die? Good luck on that. Kind of the opposite of WWJD. Don't you think?

Of course not but this is the typical bleeding heart response from the left. I want our elderly and morbidly sick population to be able to live out their days with happiness and dignity. (See Life, Liberty, and The Pursuit of Happiness in the Constitution) I want them to be able to decide if they want to spend it locked away to avoid COVID or surrounded by family and friends doing things they love.

Similarly, I want the young and relatively healthy to have that same opportunity instead of being selectively sacrificed in some white knight effort to save humanity from death while we crank out abortions and turn a blind eye to rampant inner city murder.

We’ve operated under an inordinate amount of influence from the medical community which has a very narrow scope of reference. We need to balance that with economic and psychological influence to create a mode of operation that protects life, freedom, and prosperity.

The seeds being sown right now will reap huge deficits that will only be filled by higher taxes, reduced services, or more likely a sad mixture of both. There will be no ‘getting back to normal’. That ship has sailed. The amount of malaise and duration of misery will be a direct result of how fast we get over the fallacy that we can in any way control this.

Reactions: Antwill
Of course not but this is the typical bleeding heart response from the left. I want our elderly and morbidly sick population to be able to live out their days with happiness and dignity. (See Life, Liberty, and The Pursuit of Happiness in the Constitution) I want them to be able to decide if they want to spend it locked away to avoid COVID or surrounded by family and friends doing things they love.

Similarly, I want the young and relatively healthy to have that same opportunity instead of being selectively sacrificed in some white knight effort to save humanity from death while we crank out abortions and turn a blind eye to rampant inner city murder.

We’ve operated under an inordinate amount of influence from the medical community which has a very narrow scope of reference. We need to balance that with economic and psychological influence to create a mode of operation that protects life, freedom, and prosperity.

The seeds being sown right now will reap huge deficits that will only be filled by higher taxes, reduced services, or more likely a sad mixture of both. There will be no ‘getting back to normal’. That ship has sailed. The amount of malaise and duration of misery will be a direct result of how fast we get over the fallacy that we can in any way control this.

Seems like you're the one politicizing this. It's a virus.

"Similarly, I want the young and relatively healthy to have that same opportunity instead of being selectively sacrificed in some white knight effort to save humanity from death......."

It's not sacrifice....it's a football season.

Reactions: artguy68

That's easy to say when you are not affected.

That's easy to say when you are not affected.
It's equally easy to irrationally recoil in fear when you are. No offense but if it's your grandma or mine, it matters the same in the grand scheme of things. Not much to those outside of their bubble. Harsh I know, but a non emotional assessment. The folks that are dying are for the majority at or above the average life expectancy already.

Reactions: SLOHusker
"Similarly, I want the young and relatively healthy to have that same opportunity instead of being selectively sacrificed in some white knight effort to save humanity from death......."

It's not sacrifice....it's a football season.

It’s wait staff jobs. Hotel jobs. Stadium vendors. Cab and Uber drivers. Bartenders. Restauranteurs. Commercial real estate owners. Office support and cleaners. The list goes on.

All of these pePole are sacrificing in the name of ‘public safety’.

Reactions: TheVegvisir
It’s wait staff jobs. Hotel jobs. Stadium vendors. Cab and Uber drivers. Bartenders. Restauranteurs. Commercial real estate owners. Office support and cleaners. The list goes on.

All of these pePole are sacrificing in the name of ‘public safety’.
So...this is your roundabout way of telling us that you're pro-choice. Good to know.

And...let's be honest....your main concern is watching football, not the economic plight of the Uber driver.

We're in the very beginning of this. Attitudes will change when there is massive unrest, foreclosures, shuttered companies, destruction of wealth, rampant unemployment and hopelessness on a wide scale. I am saddened by how mentally fragile our society is.
One of two things will happen. We will accept the case data and the hard reality that we can't protect everyone but the vast majority are safe from serious risk, or we will endure the worst depression in history by collapsing the economy, shuttering schools, and laying off millions more. Remember that we are borrowing trillions to prop up the economy and households temporarily. The airlines for instance are coming to a point when they will have to lay off tens of thousands of employees. Restaurants will likely start going under in droves before long since they are effectively operating at a loss even while open. The moratorium on evictions and foreclosures will have to end some time and then you could see the housing market collapse. People continually find health reasons to delay reopening fully (like the remote possibility that their could be a link to cardiac or respiratory damage), but some things pale in comparison to the far greater disaster we are creating in order to avoid a hard reality of biological science.

Reactions: baseball31ne
I knew there were rabid fans, but to argue that it is time to let Grampa and cousin Tina who has asthma die because you want to watch football is more than I would have predicted. There's much more to life.
Football is concern 8000. We have much bigger issues to deal with in terms of the economy, child socialization and education, layoffs that are on borrowed time, a housing market that is on borrowed time, etc. My 7 year old son has a playmate that has been locked in his home for 5 months because the parents are COVID crazy. I feel very sorry for that child and his mental health cannot be good.

One of two things will happen. We will accept the case data and the hard reality that we can't protect everyone but the vast majority are safe from serious risk, or we will endure the worst depression in history by collapsing the economy, shuttering schools, and laying off millions more. Remember that we are borrowing trillions to prop up the economy and households temporarily. The airlines for instance are coming to a point when they will have to lay off tens of thousands of employees. Restaurants will likely start going under in droves before long since they are effectively operating at a loss even while open. The moratorium on evictions and foreclosures will have to end some time and then you could see the housing market collapse. People continually find health reasons to delay reopening fully (like the remote possibility that their could be a link to cardiac or respiratory damage), but some things pale in comparison to the far greater disaster we are creating in order to avoid a hard reality of biological science.
But we all know you and Kenny don't really care about all that other stuff; you just want to watch football.

Tell you what....we'll reopen all the other stuff, but still not have football, or only have it with no fans or tailgating. You on board?

And just so we're clear.....I don't know if the B1G and Pac 12 decisions were right or not. I do know that neither one of us will be on the hook for the consequences of said decisions, and I know that it's easy to yap from the cheap seats.

Ding Ding Ding!

So...this is your roundabout way of telling us that you're pro-choice. Good to know.

And...let's be honest....your main concern is watching football, not the economic plight of the Uber driver.
I can tell you I am pro-life. But I also support cutting life support for those that have no realistic chance at survival (and I have told my wife that if I were in that state to cut the cord). It's about pragmatism and accepting that in life we have to let go of some in order to enable those who are starting out and need opportunities a chance at life. When the vast majority of those dying were already close to death, yet those sacrificing the most and in many cases suffering the most are those in the prime of life, its the wrong trade-off.

Reactions: BigRedRising
I can tell you I am pro-life. But I also support cutting life support for those that have no realistic chance at survival (and I have told my wife that if I were in that state to cut the cord). It's about pragmatism and accepting that in life we have to let go of some in order to enable those who are starting out and need opportunities a chance at life. When the vast majority of those dying were already close to death, yet those sacrificing the most and in many cases suffering the most are those in the prime of life, its the wrong trade-off.
I brought that up because there are economic implications for a 16 year-old girl that is trying to decide on whether or not to have an abortion. By your rationale, she should be able to make that decision for herself, since it is an economic decision as well, and she is, to use your words, "starting out and needing opportunities". Girls that become mothers at that age will likely earn way less over the course of their lives that those that don't....and I won't even get into how the cycle is likely to continue with the child she bears.

Football is concern 8000. We have much bigger issues to deal with in terms of the economy, child socialization and education, layoffs that are on borrowed time, a housing market that is on borrowed time, etc. My 7 year old son has a playmate that has been locked in his home for 5 months because the parents are COVID crazy. I feel very sorry for that child and his mental health cannot be good.

I can respect that part of it, but not asking that Grandparents elderly parents and Aunts and Uncles being ask to just die is Ludacris..

I actually tend to agree with the OP, probably to my sorrow. The part that concerns me is that someday when God asks if I did everything within my power to save/protect those at risk or less fortunate than myself I would really rather have something better than “sometimes you have to let people die”. I doubt that will fly very far if you really take a Christian view. I scoured the Bible and couldn’t find an instance where Jesus said, “sorry, I can’t heal you as some of you are just going to have to die”. Again I really do tend to agree with the OP and that bothers me. I just have to come to terms that it is very anti-Christian...

That's why I have a do not resuscitate signed AND organ donor. HOWEVER, I'm rethinking that now. I might want them to do everything they can to save me because otherwise I will be a covid 19 statistic whether I have it or not.... which I don't

Reactions: SLOHusker
I brought that up because there are economic implications for a 16 year-old girl that is trying to decide on whether or not to have an abortion. By your rationale, she should be able to make that decision for herself, since it is an economic decision as well, and she is, to use your words, "starting out and needing opportunities". Girls that become mothers at that age will likely earn way less over the course of their lives that those that don't....and I won't even get into how the cycle is likely to continue with the child she bears.
The comparison to abortion is way wrong. First, abortion means killing a child that will otherwise certainly live (assuming there are no other issues). That baby will be born with a whole life to live. With COVID-19, there is a minuscule chance that even the elderly will die. However for those that are dying, they are primarily the most feeble (nursing home patients and those with a number of other health issues). Most of these people will likely die within 5 years (80+ is the number one cohort for deaths). But in order to hopefully give that cohort an extra few years we are completely upending the lives of every younger generation and we haven't seen the worst of it by far. Unemployment, loss of socialization, loss of education, etc, are all things that have severe impacts on a persons life and lead to all sorts of sad things. How many children are being abused but go unreported and unseen? How many entrepreneurs who worked hard and saved are seeing their dreams die? If I was an 80+ year old in a nursing home it would kill me to think my grandchildren are jobless, school-less, etc just because they fear I might get a disease.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT