ADVERTISEMENT

Something going down today?

A lot of stupidity in this thread. Both Leipold and Petersen would be great options and we could certainly do a lot worse than both of them. If it's not one of these two, our other options could be 3-9 Mickey, David Shaw, or Pat Fitzgerald, or comparable options to these. This coaching search is not going near as well as some would like to think, and our options are more limited because Trev wants to go cheap. We'd be lucky to pull a Leipold or Petersen out of this given Trev's inability to sell the program.
I love how you talk like you know the truth. You're full of sh it like most on here. 3-9 more lies

Okay but then there are guys who would be happy building and sustaining success at Nebraska. Why then would we hire a guy that might bolt?
you hire the guy who you think will put you in the best position 5 years from now and if other big name programs who are willing to pay more come calling you deal with it then

nothing would make me happier than Texas, OU, Penn st, Florida coming after our coach in 5 years

you hire the guy who you think will put you in the best position 5 years from now and if other big name programs who are willing to pay more come calling you deal with it then

nothing would make me happier than Texas, OU, Penn st, Florida coming after our coach in 5 years

giphy.gif

If Rhule came here, killed it, and moved to another job, that would be a fine situation. We'd be back on the map.

It's like worrying about your QB lighting things on fire as an underclassmen, winning the Heisman, and going to the NFL.

Yep. Sucks to lose a great player, but that means you killed it while he was here.

No you hire the guy with the best ability that actually fits your program. And there were better options on the table who fit that mold. I'm not saying Rhule would be a bad hire, but it is rather mediocre. And again, this is all just speculation at this point.

I'll take Ruhle, but I still think he's a traveler.

Seems like "most", but not all top college coaches that go to the NFL and then wind up getting fired, wind up taking another college job that isn't really THE job they want. So they stick around 2-3-4 years and then bolt to that college job they wanted when they got canned but the job wasn't available.

If NU is a job Ruhle will take but isn't really the job he wants, I could see a repeat. I don't know what his BIG college job might be, but it probably isn't NU.
IF he takes the job hopefully he wins enough that somebody else tries to hire him away…..

No you hire the guy with the best ability that actually fits your program. And there were better options on the table who fit that mold. I'm not saying Rhule would be a bad hire, but it is rather mediocre. And again, this is all just speculation at this point.
Who do you want Trev to hire.

Reactions: headcard
Then you want MJ. You just admitted it. Hire the right staff and get going
Nope just because a guy is a Nebraska alum doesn't mean he fits the head coach position here. I thought we learned that lesson with Frost. 3-9 Mickey would not be the right guy.

Nope just because a guy is a Nebraska alum doesn't mean he fits the head coach position here. I thought we learned that lesson with Frost. 3-9 Mickey would not be the right guy.
Seems like you're gonna be unhappy no matter what happens.

IF I remember correctly one of the reasons Peterson gave for retiring was his wife’s health issues. I think she has some long term problems that required him to be a care giver. People underestimate the time commitment involved with being a P5 head coach.
Scott Frost definitely did. There's a 'day in the life' video on youtube of Peterson on a regular fall camp day. He worked from 6 am to 9 pm non-stop. 15 hours a day is very typical for a Power 5 head coach. It's a job for grinders. Not guys that like fishing, hunting, partying, and chasing co eds.

T
he guy has to be available and willing to take the job.

Reactions: BleedRed78
Who do you want Trev to hire.
Rhule was 9th on my list of guys who had proven head coach ability and looked like they were available at the time, right next to BoB. That list was based on ability, but with the fit factor, I think he’s even lower than that. Some of you are making too big of a deal based on speculation. I think it's a mediocre hire, but I will be fine with it if that's what we go with.

• Haha
Reactions: headcard
Gary Sharpe said that the board of regents have to meet before a hire is made, so unless we here of them getting together all this other stuff in just more speculation..
Sharpe is a buffoon. Head Frost cheerleader, and never covered the “coaching malpractice” he spewed 6 plus years ago.

Reactions: king_kong_
Rhule was 9th on my list of guys who had proven head coach ability and looked like they were available at the time, right next to BoB. That list was based on ability, but with the fit factor, I think he’s even lower than that. Some of you are making too big of a deal based on speculation. I think it's a mediocre hire, but I will be fine with it if that's what we go with.
Thank God you’re not the one doing the hiring. Better stick to your class C high school position coach gig……

Scott Frost definitely did. There's a 'day in the life' video on youtube of Peterson on a regular fall camp day. He worked from 6 am to 9 pm non-stop. 15 hours a day is very typical for a Power 5 head coach. It's a job for grinders. Not guys that like fishing, hunting, partying, and chasing co eds.
Don't forget dodgeball with the assistants, and bowling with Cam Jurgens and Ethan Piper.

Reactions: TheNewNU
Assuming Rhule I had heard that he likes big recruiting bases and likes to go for speed (at least that was his strategy at Baylor). I think we see him really ramp up NIL money spending on players and let's MJ really work the national recruiting while he finds the 500-mile radius guys or as I like to call it the "state of Nebraska" players.

Last edited:
If Rhule came here, killed it, and moved to another job, that would be a fine situation. We'd be back on the map.

It's like worrying about your QB lighting things on fire as an underclassmen, winning the Heisman, and going to the NFL.

Yep. Sucks to lose a great player, but that means you killed it while he was here.
There is a portion of the fanbase that can't handle the idea of a coach coming here and EVER looking to leave.

Of course, they spend all day looking online for other jobs but...

Thank God you’re not the one doing the hiring. Better stick to your class C high school position coach gig……
Why are you getting so defensive about this? For all we know this is all just speculation like the 10 other threads that proclaimed who the head coach would be and turned out wrong. Until we hear an actual statement, that's exactly what I'm treating this as.

Reactions: huskerfan1414
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT