ADVERTISEMENT

Something going down today?

If Trev absolutely thinks that Mickey is the man for the job, today might be the best time to hire him. He might have planned it for the Sunday after Purdue IF they got a W. Three straight wins after OU - 'I've seen enough, here is our new coach.'

However, he now has to see the real possibility of losing out, especially if Casey's injury is nagging or even season ending. Hiring him after a 6-game losing streak would be difficult. Better to do it now, put the losses on Frost, and declare that the rest of the season is about getting a base to build on, not wins or losses.

The NU job at hand requires a HC with a shitload of energy to try to turn this thing around.

Every aspect you look at, from a lack of performance point of view, is a problem to be addressed and solved.

A new HC doesn't have to tell the forum members the problems he will face, we're aware of a lot of the big issues.
IF I remember correctly one of the reasons Peterson gave for retiring was his wife’s health issues. I think she has some long term problems that required him to be a care giver. People underestimate the time commitment involved with being a P5 head coach.

If Trev absolutely thinks that Mickey is the man for the job, today might be the best time to hire him. He might have planned it for the Sunday after Purdue IF they got a W. Three straight wins after OU - 'I've seen enough, here is our new coach.'

However, he now has to see the real possibility of losing out, especially if Casey's injury is nagging or even season ending. Hiring him after a 6-game losing streak would be difficult. Better to do it now, put the losses on Frost, and declare that the rest of the season is about getting a base to build on, not wins or losses.

I agree. IF he plans to hire MJ he needs to do it sooner than later, as the W's are just going to pile up if we don't have CT.

Reactions: otismotis08
Leopold and petersen are each about as milk toast as they come

Boring, lame, will never win shit

In other words, our transition into the B1G will be complete
billsnyder3332jpg.jpg

Reactions: thall_
True, but their defenses are the complete opposite. I also fear KU will keep LL's OC as HC and then what do we have?
I think Leipold himself is responsible for his offensive success so I'm not worried about it. With defense, that's easily fixed by hiring a solid coordinator.

Mickey's only a few years younger than Petersen. Why do people keep thinking he will be a coach-in-waiting? He's almost 55 years old. Unless we hire Mack Brown or another 70 year old coach, Mickey will not be coach-in-waiting.
If you really want an answer, because the guy we hire may only be looking at doing it for 4 to 6 years.

I agree. IF he plans to hire MJ he needs to do it sooner than later, as the W's are just going to pile up if we don't have CT.
It really doesn’t matter when he does it if the Ls keep piling up. It won’t look good either way.

Gary Sharpe said that the board of regents have to meet before a hire is made, so unless we here of them getting together all this other stuff in just more speculation..

Reactions: dinglefritz
True, but their defenses are the complete opposite. I also fear KU will keep LL's OC as HC and then what do we have?
just some loser old guy who won in D3 a decade and a half ago

So like ability is your top criteria then…..okiedokie
Ability, fit, likability is personal preference but something everyone pays attention to. I think all 3 of those options have ability. I think Rhule fits in the least, I think he would jump if other opportunities came along, and that's part of the reason I don't like him.

I think Damon B said on T03 that the BOR is having a special meeting today. Everything seems to be pointing to Matt Rhule.
I'll take Ruhle, but I still think he's a traveler.

Seems like "most", but not all top college coaches that go to the NFL and then wind up getting fired, wind up taking another college job that isn't really THE job they want. So they stick around 2-3-4 years and then bolt to that college job they wanted when they got canned but the job wasn't available.

If NU is a job Ruhle will take but isn't really the job he wants, I could see a repeat. I don't know what his BIG college job might be, but it probably isn't NU.

Seems like "most", but not all top college coaches that go to the NFL and then wind up getting fired, wind up taking another college job that isn't really THE job they want. So they stick around 2-3-4 years and then bolt to that college job they wanted when they got canned but the job wasn't available.

If NU is a job Ruhle will take but isn't really the job he wants, I could see a repeat. I don't know what his BIG college job might be, but it probably isn't NU.
Not sure why anybody is worried how long he'd stay if he was successful here.

Exactly, I'd like a guy who wants to be at Nebraska, not a guy who jumps ship every time something new comes along. I don't have a problem with his ability, but I question his fit big time.

Have to disagree, I don't need him to be huggable, I need him to turn a program around. Rhule's resume supports that.
Matt would be an outstanding hire who would bring a competitive toughness back to N that's been missing for sometime. Two thumbs way up if he's your guy. Can't think of a better "available" candidate/hire.

thumbs-up-1665763103071.jpg

Ability, fit, likability is personal preference but something everyone pays attention to. I think all 3 of those options have ability. I think Rhule fits in the least, I think he would jump if other opportunities came along, and that's part of the reason I don't like him.
If top programs are courting him in 4-5 years then it means we are in a really good spot

would be nice to be on the receiving end of a buy-out payment for once

I think his dream job is Penn State.

Reactions: leodisflowers
If top programs are courting him in 4-5 years then it means we are in a really good spot

would be nice to be on the receiving end of a buy-out payment for one
Okay but then there are guys who would be happy building and sustaining success at Nebraska. Why then would we hire a guy that might bolt?

Best advice: live in day-tight compartments on this one. Yesterday is a cancelled check, tomorrow a promissory note.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT