ADVERTISEMENT

Someone convince me...

SkerInCo

Graduate Assistant
Apr 26, 2004
...that Nebraska can be great again. We need another change but I just don't see it changing anything.

1. The college game has changed. We don't play in the Big 8. There's too much money, tv, and hype and it's created parity. Sure, we can sign a good class or two, but so can TCU and Louisville. How can we be unique like we were before?

2. Who is going to want to coach at Nebraska, honestly. We keep digging ourselves a deeper hole with these (outsider perception) knee jerk reactions to failure. I wanted Bo gone, bad. But when I first heard we hired Mike Riley I thought "Who the f*ck is Mike Riley?! This is the best we can do?"
Having said that, it's unrealistic to expect national championships but I really hoped Riley would be a decent coach. Someone who would bring in good recruiting classes, place in the top 10 here and there and regularly compete for a conf. title. It's clear that's not the case with Riley. Be honest with yourself...who in the hell is going to want to coach at Nebraska?

3. Our tradition, history and flat out dated arrogance is a tired act, and I'm a Nebraska fan. It's been beat to death but 18 year old kids don't care. The tunnel walk is tired. There are more seats in the endzones than on the sidelines at Memorial. I go to a lot of non Nebraska games and our gameday experience is stale. Washington and Oregon were better IMHO. We have got to do a better job at appealing to the younger fan.

I guess that's my rant. I love Nebraska. I was on the 35 yard line in Tempe. I'd give anything to get back there but I just don't see it happening....ever. Tell me I'm wrong.

You are wrong. The whole state cares, that is what is different if most everything else is equal. What coach would want to go to Pullman? Crappy facilities and in the middle of nowhere. But Leach did and look at them now. We just need an up and coming, proven coach with winning head coaching experience. Something we haven't had in 20 years.

I was at both Washington and Oregon and don't get how that is more geared toward younger fans. I don't think Oregon had free wifi in the stadium. The Memorial atmosphere is great for younger fans at the expense of old people like me having to watch fireworks, play the "name that tune" game for groups I have never heard of and listen to ear-splitting rap music.

1. The Big Ten West is no more challenging than the old Big 8. We've been out-recruiting Wisconsin, Iowa, Minnesota, since the beginning of time, even during our down years. Even Pelini beat Iowa 3 out of 4 years. A good coach should be able to win this division more often than not.

2. Mike Riley was not the best we could do. He was hired because his personality was the opposite of Bo Pelini. It might help to consider candidates whose careers are on an upward trajectory, not a downward spiral like Riley and Callahan. I'm not necessarily on the "Scott Frost" train, but the guy has never failed at anything in his life, and his career at least seems to be trending upward. He seems to have the qualities to be the next Dabo or Lincoln Riley or Mike Gundy.

3. Winning helps the gameday experience tremendously. Look at the atmosphere for our volleyball matches. And remember the atmosphere for "No Sit Sunday" during the basketball team's exciting run in 2014? Football's getting stale because we haven't won anything of importance for almost 20 years. I remember when Pederson tried to change the Tunnel Walk music in 2007 to "appeal to the younger crowd" but it didn't matter when the team was getting pounded.

Put a more exciting product on the field and maybe the fans will create a more exciting atmosphere. Purdue is about to have their first sell-out in 10 years - last year they couldn't fill half the stadium.

Last edited:
What coach would want to go to Pullman? Crappy facilities and in the middle of nowhere. But Leach did and look at them now.
Just an fyi, Pullman, WA, is WSU. And it's a beautiful area of the country. And believe it or not, Leach made some pretty big improvements there to the facilities. Not Nebraska-level improvements, but impressive for a state college town of ~20k. No, I do not live there.

Think it just goes to show how much $ is involved in college football.

...that Nebraska can be great again. We need another change but I just don't see it changing anything.

1. The college game has changed. We don't play in the Big 8. There's too much money, tv, and hype and it's created parity. Sure, we can sign a good class or two, but so can TCU and Louisville. How can we be unique like we were before?

2. Who is going to want to coach at Nebraska, honestly. We keep digging ourselves a deeper hole with these (outsider perception) knee jerk reactions to failure. I wanted Bo gone, bad. But when I first heard we hired Mike Riley I thought "Who the f*ck is Mike Riley?! This is the best we can do?"
Having said that, it's unrealistic to expect national championships but I really hoped Riley would be a decent coach. Someone who would bring in good recruiting classes, place in the top 10 here and there and regularly compete for a conf. title. It's clear that's not the case with Riley. Be honest with yourself...who in the hell is going to want to coach at Nebraska?

3. Our tradition, history and flat out dated arrogance is a tired act, and I'm a Nebraska fan. It's been beat to death but 18 year old kids don't care. The tunnel walk is tired. There are more seats in the endzones than on the sidelines at Memorial. I go to a lot of non Nebraska games and our gameday experience is stale. Washington and Oregon were better IMHO. We have got to do a better job at appealing to the younger fan.

I guess that's my rant. I love Nebraska. I was on the 35 yard line in Tempe. I'd give anything to get back there but I just don't see it happening....ever. Tell me I'm wrong.
Why I love college football is that one coach can make all the difference, no matter where the school. Every single year a college coach can reload their talent with the best players, they just need to have a focus on recruiting. Callahan proved it can still happen at Nebraska. That said, you need a coach who can surround themselves with the best developers of talent and coaches. It's damn tough to do - that's why the few who can make it happen are paid truckloads of money. I appreciate that even though Nebraska has stepped on it's dick time and time again, that they won't settle and continue to look for the right fit.

Reactions: BigRedLegion

OU had a similar experience 94-99 I believe. I know it was only six years but it does show with the right hires the football program can be resurrected.
We have screwed the pooch for nearly 20 years with bad hires at AD and head coach. Let's hope Ronnie and Hank can get the right guys this time.

Hate to say it, but you're correct. Location location location!!! We'll never get the true blue chippers. We'll get one here and there. Hopefully a big10 title every decade. Let's start there, but being it's been 17 and will be 18 after this year, it's. It changing anytime soon with this team. 3 stars don't win championships.

You have to "want it". This state revolves around the football team, probably as much (if not more) than any other state. It's in our blood.

Don't ever settle.

The average fan can "want" all they want, they are not the actual producers of the product. You are relying on 18-20 year old men to produce the results and a team of coaches and mentors to help them get there. Any weakness in the chain shows up and those that are on the outside supporting (fans) get owly and want their team back to the way it once was. Wanting and doing fall into two different camps.

in the 20 year period since Tom retired, we're #16 in total wins (or a 67% winning percentage). including 3 losing seasons. i know that doesn't tell the whole story, but i think that with even just modest improvements in all aspects we could improve dramatically.

now, from 1982 until 2006, a blue blood program you've heard of was only 30th in total wins and could only muster a 62% winning percentage (67% if you don't count forfeited games). and i think 7 losing seasons. i'd make the argument that while they had some lame coaches during that time, they also had a couple with a little bit of pedigree and results.

i know were not in alabama's recruiting bed, but looking at some of the big picture there might be something to hang your hat on...

Why do you need convincing that we can be good/relevant again? Of course we can. If Wisconsin can win the West and even flirt with a top five ranking now and then, so can we.

It is currently fashionable among the media and pundits to say there is no way we can ever again be like the Nebaska of the 90's. As if all Husker fans are irrational nut jobs who expect 1993-97 level of talent and success every year. That is nonsense and bullshit. Because here is the reality: NOBODY in the history of college football has ever had a more successful five year run than those Nebraska teams. Not even Osborne had that kind of success through most of his career. Heck, until 94 it was said everywhere that his offense was too one dimensional and he couldn't win games against the big boys.

So when the OP asks can we be great again, I ask in return: define "great". Because if you mean 93-97 great then the answer is probably not. Nobody other than those teams ever achieved that and may never again. So it is just ridiculous that national pundits make fun of us for being irrational, thinking that we expect that.

What we want is:
1. To be competitive in every game we play
2. To play with discipline and passion
3. To have an identity on offense
4. To play solid, solid defense
5. To play with physicality
6. To win the West more consistently than any other team in the West
7. To be the team all other teams in the West must beat to win the West
8. To actually win the B1G several times a decade
9. To not get blown out by anyone
10. To recruit well

In other words... don't buy the nonsense that we cannot do the things listed above because we can. Nebraska fans are not asking for the impossible. We are not being irrational. What we want is very reasonable given our tradition, fan base and resources. We expect to be better than a Wisconsin. We expect to win the West most years. And damn it... please hire us a f$cking coach who can do that. We may never again achieve the success of the 90's. But we can damn well match the success of the 80's.

The average fan can "want" all they want, they are not the actual producers of the product. You are relying on 18-20 year old men to produce the results and a team of coaches and mentors to help them get there. Any weakness in the chain shows up and those that are on the outside supporting (fans) get owly and want their team back to the way it once was. Wanting and doing fall into two different camps.

"Want it" starts at the top. University, program leadership, regents, boosters of substance...and extends all the way down to the players and fans. You either believe it or you don't. I guess you don't.

The only advantages any program in the BIG west has over Nebraska is

Competent leadership
Competent coaching
Competent player development

Those areas are currently being addressed. All the other BS about geography, weather, etc etc have nothing to do how we compete in our division.

There is no way to read this other than Bounds and Green thinking that among the mistakes Eichorst made, hiring Riley was the biggest. Riley gets another year if he can muster a 4 or 5 loss season. He resigns/is fired if not. If we lose this weekend and the play looks poor he may be gone next week.
The decision to feature Lee at QB looks to have been a mistake in hindsight. What's the use of throwing a "pretty ball" if too many of them go to the other team.
Those of you who bagged hard on TA and TM before him should take not that while both had their deficiencies, they did win games. Neither would have lost the NIU game.
Turns out Riley was lucky to have Tommy.

I will add one specific goal we need to achieve - no player that stays 4-5 years should leave without a conference championship. I see that as the real bar we need to get to. At that level - you are playing in the playoffs or a major bowl frequently - been way too long since a conference championship. I know we played in CCGs several times but we have gone o-fer in those games.

There is no way to read this other than Bounds and Green thinking that among the mistakes Eichorst made, hiring Riley was the biggest. Riley gets another year if he can muster a 4 or 5 loss season. He resigns/is fired if not. If we lose this weekend and the play looks poor he may be gone next week.
The decision to feature Lee at QB looks to have been a mistake in hindsight. What's the use of throwing a "pretty ball" if too many of them go to the other team.
Those of you who bagged hard on TA and TM before him should take not that while both had their deficiencies, they did win games. Neither would have lost the NIU game.
Turns out Riley was lucky to have Tommy.

MR is a nice guy. If the team doesn't do a complete 180, I think he will ride off into the sunset. They'll work out a deal.

C'mon man. We play in the Big Ten West. Year in and year out we have the best recruits by a mile over the rest of the teams. There isn't any reason that a competent coach couldn't have this team regularly winning the west and in the championship game in no time.

Why do you need convincing that we can be good/relevant again? Of course we can. If Wisconsin can win the West and even flirt with a top five ranking now and then, so can we.

It is currently fashionable among the media and pundits to say there is no way we can ever again be like the Nebaska of the 90's. As if all Husker fans are irrational nut jobs who expect 1993-97 level of talent and success every year. That is nonsense and bullshit. Because here is the reality: NOBODY in the history of college football has ever had a more successful five year run than those Nebraska teams. Not even Osborne had that kind of success through most of his career. Heck, until 94 it was said everywhere that his offense was too one dimensional and he couldn't win games against the big boys.

So when the OP asks can we be great again, I ask in return: define "great". Because if you mean 93-97 great then the answer is probably not.

That is great thought, unfortunately at the press conference firing the AD, the chancellor and the president set the bar at "the 90's"

Disagree. Demonstrate progress on the field and this fan base is on-board.

So why were Frank Solich and Bo Pelini fired? There is no patience in the fan base, never has been, and never will be. Being good isn't the expectation. The ability of getting from bad or average to good is much easier than getting from good to great.

For the record, I really have no problem with that mindset. But getting to good isn't really allowed because, the goal is to get to great. The fan base will be on board for a couple of years, but the first game where a blow out occurs or a loss to Illinois or Rutgers happens people start to jump ship. Again, I am fine with that mindset. But the expectation bar moves too fast in our fan base.

So why were Frank Solich and Bo Pelini fired? There is no patience in the fan base, never has been, and never will be. Being good isn't the expectation. The ability of getting from bad or average to good is much easier than getting from good to great.

For the record, I really have no problem with that mindset. But getting to good isn't really allowed because, the goal is to get to great. The fan base will be on board for a couple of years, but the first game where a blow out occurs or a loss to Illinois or Rutgers happens people start to jump ship. Again, I am fine with that mindset. But the expectation bar moves too fast in our fan base.

Solich was riding previous successes and beginning to fade.
Pelini...really? Where do I start?

1) You have to ditch the attitude of defeat that you carry. Then you find all those who think like you do in the Athletic department and in each sport and you encourage them to move on or move to a different department or different state. The very first thing every winner does is make sure their attitude is right. Every single person has one thing in common. "Your behavior will always follow your attitude!!" Now will having a positive attitude change everything and suddenly we win the Big Ten west, the Big Ten and a National Championship? No way! but you will never win with a defeatist attitude. A defeatist attitude is like cancer. It only takes one single cell to destroy an entire body. That is why as a leader I spend more time listening, way more time, than I do giving out direction. I'm telling you if you don't have a goal that is the best than your life will never reach its potential nor will whatever you lead ever reach its potential as well.

2) You are right every team is on tv now. THATS A POSITIVE!! (you see it as a negative I see it as a positive because thats my attitude) Its great everyone is on tv now because if not everyone was on tv who would want to put Nebraska on tv?!!! SELL IT ! We are on tv, come and everyone will see you help us build a championship caliber team. We need you. Coming to Nebraska it will build your character, we will install in you a positive attitude, we will teach you that when your effort supersedes your ability thats when you hit your potential. You can be a hero at Nebraska. SELL THE CHALLENGE! Winners want to be challenged! Average people want to take up space, and losers want it handed to them.

3) Who wouldn't want to come to Nebraska?

a-Tradition

b- top 10 in revenue which means you want it, and you present a case it will help you get it. Price is not an issue.

c- Fan support- The sell out streak is proof. We are only major college team in the state and the entire states heart, dreams, and vision is in your hands.

These are POSITIVES! Why are you selling this state short? Very seldom do coaches get hired into a program where everything is going well. If it was going well why would they be needing a new coach or AD? They are all dumpster fires!

I agree our stadium seating is awful. More seats in the end zone than between the 20's. There are some things you can control and there are some things you can't. The things you can't control don't worry about!

I'm just telling you Nebraska is a great place to be an AD and a coach. We have everything you need, and want. Nobody wants to win more than Husker fans and we will hold you accountable to that standard of winning. As a competitor why would you want anything but that? We will celebrate the wins, and ask you to do better than just win. We will moan and groan at the losses, this is proof we care. We will demand improvement and correction. When you do improve we will give you credit and praise your effort. We are competitors here at Nebraska. Our lives here in Nebraska are not easy, but it is rewarding and we want you as a coach and AD to be the face of that. That is why there is no place like Nebraska!

Winning cures all. Put an undefeated Nebraska team in a final home game of the season against a ranked opponent, with a playoff appearance on the line, and watch Memorial Stadium explode.

I remember thinking the home atmosphere was dead back in 2001. Then Oklahoma came to town, fresh off a national championship, and Memorial Stadium was rocking. And that was with the early kickoff, which usually dampens the spirit. When Eric Crouch caught the flash reverse pass from Stuntz the place exploded as loud as I have heard, and I had season tickets through the 90's.

It can be done. But will it be done?

Reactions: jeans15

So when the OP asks can we be great again, I ask in return: define "great". Because if you mean 93-97 great then the answer is probably not. Nobody other than those teams ever achieved that and may never again. So it is just ridiculous that national pundits make fun of us for being irrational, thinking that we expect that.

What we want is:
10. To recruit well

In other words... don't buy the nonsense that we cannot do the things listed above because we can. Nebraska fans are not asking for the impossible. We are not being irrational. What we want is very reasonable given our tradition, fan base and resources. We expect to be better than a Wisconsin. We expect to win the West most years. And damn it... please hire us a f$cking coach who can do that. We may never again achieve the success of the 90's. But we can damn well match the success of the 80's.
you and me disagree politically but man we are twins when it comes to seeing all the positives in Nebraska. There is no place like Nebraska! #GBR brother!!

Reactions: Pennsyhusker
The goal of this program in the 90's was to be competitive at the highest level. Shouldn't be any different now with good coaching.

Reactions: huskerfan1414
Just an fyi, Pullman, WA, is WSU. And it's a beautiful area of the country. And believe it or not, Leach made some pretty big improvements there to the facilities. Not Nebraska-level improvements, but impressive for a state college town of ~20k. No, I do not live there.

Think it just goes to show how much $ is involved in college football.
It's a hell hole that is in the middle of nowhere and I have been there many times

What we want is:
10. To recruit well

Great post and 100% on the button

Reactions: Pennsyhusker
It's a hell hole that is in the middle of nowhere and I have been there many times

Yeah, the longest week I ever spent was in Pullman, Washington. Was there in the summer, and I swear we were the only people in the city. It was like an episode of the Walking Dead. Most of the businesses and restaurants were closed because there were no people. There was the world's slowest McDonald's and a movie theater with maybe one screen. I swear there were tumbleweeds blowing across the WSU campus.

We crossed the border into Moscow, Idaho, hoping to find something to do, and just about got our azzes kicked by a pack of dirty, rusty-pickup-driving rednecks even more bored than us.

The area around Pullman isn't pretty. We thought Washington state would have a lot of trees. Nope, that's the western side of the state. The eastern side is dry, with rolling hills, and farms. Went to the Snake River, which was a stagnant lake in that area. Soooo boooring!

C'mon man. We play in the Big Ten West. Year in and year out we have the best recruits by a mile over the rest of the teams. There isn't any reason that a competent coach couldn't have this team regularly winning the west and in the championship game in no time.
I agree, more or less, except for when the crossovers are brutal. We could win all our games in the west and still lose out if we lose 2 crossover games...

Reactions: huskerfan1414
I agree, more or less, except for when the crossovers are brutal. We could win all our games in the west and still lose out if we lose 2 crossover games...
It would be rare when we have two brutal crossovers vs none for a Whiskey or Iowa. In most years beating the other division rival is like a two game swing because the winner of that game also owns the tiebreaker. Yours are exceptions to the rule.

The rule should be that with similar staffs the team with better recruits should win the division most frequently.

This is not the time to have a defeatist attitude. No, the sky isn't falling. This is so typical when fans and media start reminding everyone that Nebraska isn't a fertile recruiting ground. No kidding. It wasn't in the 80s either. It wasn't in the 90s either. Do you hear fans in Wisconsin whining about fertile recruiting grounds when Nebraska has managed to outrecruit them, yet they outperform Nebraska on the field?

There is every reason in the world to believe that Nebraska can be competitive again, though really, really, it's going to take patience. Something I'm not sure this fan base has. We were all told there would be growing pains implementing a new defensive scheme. Guess what? By game two, those fans were ready to fire the defensive coordinator. That is the opposite of patience.

I'm not even ready to pull the plug on Riley yet. Yes, it's year three and we've seen some coaches come in to programs by year two and have the team much more competitive, so that's a problem, but again, changing a culture and getting in system players takes time.

Nebraska can rise up again. If you think Norman, Oklahoma is more special than Lincoln, Nebraska, you're wrong. There are many locations around the country that are not fertile recruiting grounds and not special cities that seem to produce consistently strong teams. In almost every case, it is due to a very sound head coach. This was the case in Norman, when the Sooners recycled multiple coaches and seemed lost before Stoops. Same with Alabama before Saban. Look at Florida State after Bobby Bowden. They've recaptured the magic. Washington. I can go on and on, but I think it is fools gold to think that the program cannot rise up again.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT