ADVERTISEMENT

Glass half full

inWV

Assistant Head Coach
Sep 22, 2007
The D played an inspired game.
We gave away a game where we were underdogs on the road, plus a board consensus that this was a penciled in loss at best.
Rhule may have no choice but to bench Grant. Why wasn’t Gabe on the field?
I think White knows who can make plays for him better than Satterfield does right now. Excepting Sims, of course.
On the road. Full stadium. New coach. It’s OK to be pissed, but a lot of kids played hard tonight and there is something to work with.

Opening against a 9-4 team on the road is tough for most teams. Even with that, the team led the entire second half. You just can't give the ball away over and over and win.

Reactions: BleedRed78
We gave away a game where we were underdogs on the road, plus a board consensus that this was a penciled in loss at best.
I think White knows who can make plays for him better than Satterfield does right now. Excepting Sims, of course.
On the road. Full stadium. New coach. It’s OK to be pissed, but a lot of kids played hard tonight and there is something to work with.
Agreed. Gotta reel Sims in though or try other Qbs if passing is the goal. Or go more option centric like they were at times and commit to that - warts and all.

It was the nature of the loss that upsets me. Players made crucial mistakes at the worst times. Like it or not, this is a transition year. There were some good things out there and they have a lot to learn from.

"Before you can win the game, you have to first not beat yourself." -Bear Bryant

Robinson getting tossed killed is. Lenhardt played a bunch but got pushed around and lost contain once that gave them a first down.

Reactions: Dean Pope
The offense has potential, it just doesn’t seem to know what it wants to be. I get being able to be “multiple”, but this mix of spread/power run/option is discombobulated. Too many formations/personnel groups, it’s not a wonder why there was so many procedural penalties.

Go away, there are no positives. We once again blow a game, have a turn over machine at QB, have bone head penalties on D, drop game winning picks and have Oline penalties at the worst time. It’s the exact same team over and over again.
It’s crazy. Coaches and players just making the worst decisions at the worst times. Why, in the name of god, do you have the RB with fall camp fumblitis, in the game when the ONE thing you can’t do is fumble!
Things are not going to get better with Sims. His history is a TO machine, and tonight, at key moments, he just threw the ball up for grabs. Why, exactly, did our staff recruit a QB in the portal with the most TOs in the past 2 years? Why????

Reactions: NikkiSixx
It’s crazy. Coaches and players just making the worst decisions at the worst times. Why, in the name of god, do you have the RB with fall camp fumblitis, in the game when the ONE thing you can’t do is fumble!
Things are not going to get better with Sims. His history is a TO machine, and tonight, at key moments, he just threw the ball up for grabs. Why, exactly, did our staff recruit a QB in the portal with the most TOs in the past 2 years? Why????
They had to get somebody and there were doubts that Thompson would come back. They got the best guy they could find. Hopefully he learns from his mistakes.

I appreciate you Corn. This isn’t as bad as some are making it out to be, unless you actually believed we were gonna win 9-10 games. This team can still do some good things and lay the groundwork for future success. But it won’t be easy, never is…

Game mismanagement was incredible. I wouldn't even complain if I knew we lost by 3 on the road against a decent team if I didn't watch it. But I did watch it. Ervin barely got the ball despite looking like a monster. Instead they give it to the guy they know fumbles. And he fumbles. Take the points at the end of the half. Points are at a premium in this conference. If you want to be a power football team that is conservative, act like it.

Sims is not good as a passer. Something he's shown for 4 years.

1-1 they will clobber Colorado.
nice joke..

Urban Meyer, who knows a thing or two was dishing up the love on what he saw at Prime's fall camp and how those guys were being coached.

all the CU trash talking on this site about how great we are going to be with Rhule and how Deion sucks and all that.. oh it's going to be an epic beatdown..

Nebraska made a statement tonight.. just not the one you thought it was going to be.

It's going to be madness on this board in another 8 days.

Yep. We played a **** load of players on D as well. Gotta work on the pass rush, but Prince, Cam and some of the other young guys held their own. These coaches pay attention to details and I think you are going to see NU actually continue to get better. This was the first go around. Like you said, basically everyone penciled this game in as a loss across the country. We have tons of improvement, but we out played Minnesota just made too many mistakes and how they didn't give Ervin the TD right before half is comical.

The defense should always be ahead of the offense in fall camp and the first couple games. Hopefully the offense can improve, but I was pleased with the run defense. Last year when a 1 win NW team hung up 530 yards I knew we were in trouble and we saw that with losses to G Southern and smoked by Oklahoma.

Take some pressure off Sims with run heavy RBs and use the damn tight ends please.

Game mismanagement was incredible. I wouldn't even complain if I knew we lost by 3 on the road against a decent team if I didn't watch it. But I did watch it. Ervin barely got the ball despite looking like a monster. Instead they give it to the guy they know fumbles. And he fumbles. Take the points at the end of the half. Points are at a premium in this conference. If you want to be a power football team that is conservative, act like it.

Sims is not good as a passer. Something he's shown for 4 years.
We're a better coached team. That was noticeable more on special teams and defense. For anyone who wants to argue that, go back and review the crap we just went through.

But the points you are making are valid. I don't know why Ervin didn't get more carries. Was there a reason that he wasn't in the game at that crucial time?

And Sims staring down a single receiver is a big problem. Like it or not, Minnesota is well coached and their defense made plays when they needed it the most.

Sims is unbearable with his passing. If that happens again I see no reason why Haarberg and Purdy wouldn't get a shot.

Why say you won't play guys who fumble and then play the guy who fumbles on the most crucial drive? WTF

We have a lack of elite athletes. Often half a step slow. Whether it is almost getting to the qb or a skill player getting tripped up.

My positives:

Jalen Lloyd got a carry. This is a kid who Frost didn't think was scholarship worthy and he's playing in the first game against a conference opponent.

They appeared to be playing #51 as an extra lineman. Evan-Jenkins is young but seems more aggressive than the upperclassmen.

Special teams was better. We actually seem to care about special teams.

Hmmm..I’ll go glass completely empty. We are paying a shitload more money to new coaches to lose exactly the same way as Frost. Rhule made a big deal on how strong we’ll be in the 4th. We gave up 10 in 2 minutes at the end. He made a huge deal bringing in a “pro prospect”, QB that is clearly not up to the task.

I saw the same bone-headed Frost-level mistakes. Why the hell do you play an RB with butter fingers? WTF could they possibly be thinking? This is bush league shit.

Yes it was the first game, yes rhule always only wins a couple his first year. Whatever. I expected better.

I don't know how good Minnesota really is, but looking at our schedule, there is only one team on it that we can say right now is objectively better and that is Michigan. Sims can win games with his legs. The coaches need to get him not to lose games with his arm. A good rule to start with is to tell him that if he has stared at a receiver for more than two seconds, do not throw to him unless the defender falls down. Sims is a fast kid and should always take the run to the sideline scramble if it's available.

They had to get somebody and there were doubts that Thompson would come back. They got the best guy they could find. Hopefully he learns from his mistakes.
This is the way I feel too but it would be sure nice having QB that takes care of the ball more..

It was only the first game but this can’t continue the whole year or it’s another losing season.

The D was better but Minnesotas O sucks

The O plan was so poor. Kemp, Fidone and Borkircher combined 1 catch. We can’t get Kemp a WR screen? Ervin RB1, nope they put in the fumbler that we know fumbles and he fumbles. Satterfield was horrible last night.

Reactions: Laner2 and WHCSC
I hope a reporter grills Rhule as to why in the hell Ervin didn’t get more touches and why would you give it to Grant when the game is on the line. I want to know what the f they were thinking.

I hope a reporter grills Rhule as to why in the hell Ervin didn’t get more touches and why would you give it to Grant when the game is on the line. I want to know what the f they were thinking.
Yea right

Nebraska football media are cowardly lapdogs

The coaching staff appeared to be playing a very conservative game plan. Maybe with a new staff on the road, at night, they wanted to survive what was likely to be an energetic burst by the opponent out of the gate. They really didn't touch the ball very much in the first half, but for the third quarter they seemed to loosen up and be more willing to take risks. And by "risks," I mean "run a play that isn't a QB keeper."

The D was better but Minnesotas O sucks

The O plan was so poor. Kemp, Fidone and Borkircher combined 1 catch. We can’t get Kemp a WR screen? Ervin RB1, nope they put in the fumbler that we know fumbles and he fumbles. Satterfield was horrible last night.
I'm no good at focusing on a single player during game, but I assume that MN was paying close attention to Kemp all game. It seems the TEs were serving the run game. It just turned out to be a sloppy run focused game and unless the coaches can break Sims of his stare fest when passing, what talent we do have in the receiving game will be squandered. I will say that Washington as a bigger target may be valuable off of play action.

The logic for a long time that Rhule needs time and give him a chance to build a program as he is a builder and it might take time. Fast forward. You have to win now! Quit trying to build things the right way! Fire Rhule. Rabble Rabble Rabble. Just let the dude do his thing. He's playing a ton of people. We need people to play to see who does well under the lights.

Do you think CO’s will be better or worse. I’m saying our O wasn’t bad if our QB didn’t toss 3 picks and Grant didn’t hold the ball out to his side like he was trying to fly.
Back in the day there were games where it wasn't clear if NU would ever throw the ball. Maybe try that against CU.

There are no excuses for losing this game. They 100% should have won. You make a statement with a win like this, against a good team on the road.

Nebraska once again, found a way to lose.
This was a game that should have been won. But losses like this to more solid teams on the road are expected. Most people expected to lose this game. But we saw a better than expected NU defense, OL, and running game (except for Grant's fumble) looked much improved. I was primarily disappointed with Sims as a QB. He did not look like a veteran with NFL potential. We have to go heavy as a running team to win.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT