ADVERTISEMENT

Sipple on Sean Beckton

Pennsyhusker

Athletic Director
Aug 6, 2009
Harveys Lake, PA
I have not seen it discussed on here so sorry if I missed it. But for my money the most significant thing that has been said in all of the press conferences this Spring, Beckton's comments on the running game are the most significant in my opinion. Beckton said the other day that this Spring the defense has NEVER gotten the upper hand on the offense's running game. It was in an article by Sipple on the supposed improvement of our offensive line under Raiola. This is kool aid at its finest and even Sipple knew it which is why he said at the end that maybe this should cause us to worry about the defensive line. You think? Sorry folks but I am not buying it. The same offensive lineman who stunk it up last year, and minus their best lineman in Jurgens, are supposedly so much better now after 13 practices and some pixie dust magic from Raiola that we can all now stop worrying about the offensive line. I have no doubt he is a good coach, but I doubt he is that much of a wonder worker. The truth is probably that our offensive line is a little better, with better technique, but that our defensive line is potentially one of the worst in the B1G right now. Even Sipple concluded that we had better pick up some transfer portal guys for that defensive line. I hate to sound like a broken recored folks, but this season is going to be a huge disappointment and we are going to be looking for a new head coach if we don't find some better guys for the defensive line this summer. You cannot compete in the B1G, even against "lower tier" teams, if you cannot stop the run and offensive lines are mauling your defensive line.

this "The truth is probably that our offensive line is a little better, with better technique, but that our defensive line is potentially one of the worst in the B1G right now."

Also, isn't Ty Rob and Casey out this spring?

I have not seen it discussed on here so sorry if I missed it. But for my money the most significant thing that has been said in all of the press conferences this Spring, Beckton's comments on the running game are the most significant in my opinion. Beckton said the other day that this Spring the defense has NEVER gotten the upper hand on the offense's running game. It was in an article by Sipple on the supposed improvement of our offensive line under Raiola. This is kool aid at its finest and even Sipple knew it which is why he said at the end that maybe this should cause us to worry about the defensive line. You think? Sorry folks but I am not buying it. The same offensive lineman who stunk it up last year, and minus their best lineman in Jurgens, are supposedly so much better now after 13 practices and some pixie dust magic from Raiola that we can all now stop worrying about the offensive line. I have no doubt he is a good coach, but I doubt he is that much of a wonder worker. The truth is probably that our offensive line is a little better, with better technique, but that our defensive line is potentially one of the worst in the B1G right now. Even Sipple concluded that we had better pick up some transfer portal guys for that defensive line. I hate to sound like a broken recored folks, but this season is going to be a huge disappointment and we are going to be looking for a new head coach if we don't find some better guys for the defensive line this summer. You cannot compete in the B1G, even against "lower tier" teams, if you cannot stop the run and offensive lines are mauling your defensive line.
You are always such doom and gloom. Is it hard to sleep at night?

Yes, the DL has less depth and experience than last year and there is work to do. But in terms of the Oline and a change in coaching and approach, I give you NU's rushing defense in yds/game in 2007 (fourth from the bottom of D1) and 2008 (29th). What changed? In terms of players, there were a lot of the same faces. Turner, Ty Steinkuhler, Suh and Potter started in 2007 and all but Turner started in 2008 (Barry broke his leg). So in this instance, the change in coaching was decisive. The fact that the kids had an additional year of experience can't be overlooked, but that is true with the OL kids today.
In terms of the Dline, NU is going to play the majority of snaps in a four man front this fall, just as they did last fall. That requires 2 interior linemen. Get that kid from TCU and add him to the DE/OLB mix with Nelson, Tannor and possibly Gunnerson. Hope Rogers and Robinson stay healthy. Hutmacher is a third year guy and is on schedule to be in the mix. One other thing when wringing our hands over the DL. In Pelini's turnaround season, the stat sheets look like Suh and Stein took nearly all of the snaps on the inside. Terrence Moore and Crick were the number 2 DLs. They combined for a whopping 10 tackles. I do not recall anyone steeling themselves for huge disappointment over our lack of depth on the DL in 2008. And at the time, Suh was not yet an all world performer, but he did show signs of unblockablity by the end of the year.

I haven’t listened to any local sports radio that isn’t doom and gloom about the d-line. 93.7, 1620, 1480. The media members they bring on don’t have anything positive to say about it either.
Losing that Miami nose tackle transfer to Arizona State was a huge loss.

I have not seen it discussed on here so sorry if I missed it. But for my money the most significant thing that has been said in all of the press conferences this Spring, Beckton's comments on the running game are the most significant in my opinion. Beckton said the other day that this Spring the defense has NEVER gotten the upper hand on the offense's running game. It was in an article by Sipple on the supposed improvement of our offensive line under Raiola. This is kool aid at its finest and even Sipple knew it which is why he said at the end that maybe this should cause us to worry about the defensive line. You think? Sorry folks but I am not buying it. The same offensive lineman who stunk it up last year, and minus their best lineman in Jurgens, are supposedly so much better now after 13 practices and some pixie dust magic from Raiola that we can all now stop worrying about the offensive line. I have no doubt he is a good coach, but I doubt he is that much of a wonder worker. The truth is probably that our offensive line is a little better, with better technique, but that our defensive line is potentially one of the worst in the B1G right now. Even Sipple concluded that we had better pick up some transfer portal guys for that defensive line. I hate to sound like a broken recored folks, but this season is going to be a huge disappointment and we are going to be looking for a new head coach if we don't find some better guys for the defensive line this summer. You cannot compete in the B1G, even against "lower tier" teams, if you cannot stop thFa
Never, never attempt to judge what the Fall season will be like based on Spring Practice OR the Spring Game. The Spring just does NOT correlate to the Fall. That's been a hard learned lesson over many years.

You are always such doom and gloom. Is it hard to sleep at night?
I have not always been pessimistic about NU football. But five straight years of losing seasons and 6 losing seasons out of the past 7, have a way of bringing reality home. The fact is that until Frost proves otherwise, we are a bottom tier team in the B1G. I am done drinking koolaid or pumping sunshine. We lack depth, experience, and top shelf talent on the defensive line. Nobody disagrees with that. But a lot of folks on this board seem to want to sweep that under the rug, cross their fingers, hope that some young talent blossoms and emerges, and then move on to talking about other things. I desperately want to believe that this is the year that Frost puts together a good, solid season and rights the ship. However, in the B1G you need strong play in the trenches to be a contender. Maybe in the Big 12 you can get away with games with scores like 57-48, but not in the B1G. You play solid defense in the trenches or you lose. I remain therefore in a complete wait and see, and "prove it to me" mood.

During NU's best years when the offense was at the top of the nation in scoring/rushing we would often hear that the defense had the upper hand in the spring. They would be giving the offense fits and when you consider our defense was also at the top of the nation statistically, it wasn't a big surprise. Usually you'd like your defense to be ahead of the offense due to the timing and chemistry required.

Times have changed with the rules and now offenses seemingly have the advantage which is something Nick Saban has mentioned.

It's certainly not a good sign that our defense can't stop the run AT ALL during the spring. We need to hit the portal and go after the Miami/ASU DT again along with 1 other gap-plugger. We need a guy like Weaver to make a big jump in the next 6 months.

Where has this pixie dust been the past 4 years?

Right, some kool aid drinking been going on here at RSS. The Whip, easy schedule, great portal pickups, etc., but probably need to be prepared for a 4 win season and more angst and depression coming your way. Hell, I spent money to go to Ireland, hoping to see a good win over NW but common sense tells me Frost is going to fail and win 5 or fewer games in 2022.

Yes, the DL has less depth and experience than last year and there is work to do. But in terms of the Oline and a change in coaching and approach, I give you NU's rushing defense in yds/game in 2007 (fourth from the bottom of D1) and 2008 (29th). What changed? In terms of players, there were a lot of the same faces. Turner, Ty Steinkuhler, Suh and Potter started in 2007 and all but Turner started in 2008 (Barry broke his leg). So in this instance, the change in coaching was decisive. The fact that the kids had an additional year of experience can't be overlooked, but that is true with the OL kids today.
In terms of the Dline, NU is going to play the majority of snaps in a four man front this fall, just as they did last fall. That requires 2 interior linemen. Get that kid from TCU and add him to the DE/OLB mix with Nelson, Tannor and possibly Gunnerson. Hope Rogers and Robinson stay healthy. Hutmacher is a third year guy and is on schedule to be in the mix. One other thing when wringing our hands over the DL. In Pelini's turnaround season, the stat sheets look like Suh and Stein took nearly all of the snaps on the inside. Terrence Moore and Crick were the number 2 DLs. They combined for a whopping 10 tackles. I do not recall anyone steeling themselves for huge disappointment over our lack of depth on the DL in 2008. And at the time, Suh was not yet an all world performer, but he did show signs of unblockablity by the end of the year.

The B10 offenses vs B12 also has a big factor...especially in the West it's all about ball control for 5/7 teams.

Maybe I’m drinking the look-aid but I think we’ve got 3 really good backs this year that all bring something different to the table.

Grant has the most upside @ RB that we’ve had here since AA. He’s your first and second down back. If we have a work horse, it’s him. Rhamir is probably the ideal 3rd back. Kid can pick up and blitz and is a dangerous as a receiver. Yantz is a thumper and is a spell back. Yants and johnson compliment each other so well. Depending on the game flow, one will be the answer.

In run heavy games we need a spell back to Grant, we’ve got Yant. Need to turn to the pass game, we got RJ.

so it all resta are on Grant. If he’s the real deal, we are good

Maybe I’m drinking the look-aid but I think we’ve got 3 really good backs this year that all bring something different to the table.

Grant has the most upside @ RB that we’ve had here since AA. He’s your first and second down back. If we have a work horse, it’s him. Rhamir is probably the ideal 3rd back. Kid can pick up and blitz and is a dangerous as a receiver. Yantz is a thumper and is a spell back. Yants and johnson compliment each other so well. Depending on the game flow, one will be the answer.

In run heavy games we need a spell back to Grant, we’ve got Yant. Need to turn to the pass game, we got RJ.

So much will depend on who is healthy and who stays out of the doghouse. Makes it all unpredictable for the fall.

So much will depend on who is healthy and who stays out of the doghouse. Makes it all unpredictable for the fall.
Don't see Grant or Rahmir near a doghouse zipcode. Yant on the other hand....

Reactions: SOHusker11
Raiola is a DEFINITE improvement over the OL coach we had. That being said, it will take a few years for improvement. We have nice kids playing OL, but they are not B1G caliber. Not necessarily because of talent but want to.

I’ve been watching an OL comedy of errors 4 years under Frost and don’t expect anything to change significantly in one year even with much better coaching. This group just doesn’t have it. I really want them to prove me wrong.

Reactions: Hoyt Shepherd Sr.

I’m cautiously optimistic, I felt that way with bell, mo and mills. Where does Gabe fit into the mix or are his bags packed already?

Raiola is a DEFINITE improvement over the OL coach we had. That being said, it will take a few years for improvement. We have nice kids playing OL, but they are not B1G caliber. Not necessarily because of talent but want to.

I’ve been watching an OL comedy of errors 4 years under Frost and don’t expect anything to change significantly in one year even with much better coaching. This group just doesn’t have it. I really want them to prove me wrong.
If the Oline is ever going to improve, first things first, cut the damn hair, keep it short and business like. Nothin screams I’m a big fat Pussy more than a goldi locks hair do.

You don't know what you're talking about.

If the Oline is ever going to improve, first things first, cut the damn hair, keep it short and business like. Nothin screams I’m a big fat Pussy more than a goldi locks hair do.
Yes because David Bakhtiari is just a big ol pussy.

DD went to the nfl, I was assured we would'nt miss a beat with polar bear.

You don't know what you're talking about.
I was going to refute what he wrote with examples of how players have improved with something as simple as a position coach change, but your one line was much better.

I wonder if the WR are going to be the same as last year. Or if Joseph is going to be an improvement over Lubick and the WR play will be markedly improved. Ha ha or if Whipple will get the QBs playing better than Bernie had them playing.

Reactions: drubendall
I was going to refute what he wrote with examples of how players have improved with something as simple as a position coach change, but your one line was much better.

I wonder if the WR are going to be the same as last year. Or if Joseph is going to be an improvement over Lubick and the WR play will be markedly improved. Ha ha or if Whipple will get the QBs playing better than Bernie had them playing.
Only if they change their hairstyles

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT