ADVERTISEMENT

Donavan Raiola

Our line got better despite injuries, we pulled in a top O Line class and hit the portal today and got the Gators top O lineman
Not to mention we got his 5* nephew but might as well stick with the party line and say we need to fire Raiola 🙄
Huh? Very few posters are calling for Raiola’s head. His line got better as the season went on. He recruited better than anyone so yeah .. he earned his keep

Our line got better despite injuries, we pulled in a top O Line class and hit the portal today and got the Gators top O lineman
Not to mention we got his 5* nephew but might as well stick with the party line and say we need to fire Raiola 🙄
Except no one is saying that

Reactions: huskerick
Huh? Very few posters are calling for Raiola’s head. His line got better as the season went on. He recruited better than anyone so yeah .. he earned

This time last year he was considered a weak link on the staff based on his performance under Frost and many wanted him gone. Even as this year went along people were quick to blame our line and didn't even give credit that it improved until after the season ended. I know people aren't saying it now but sometimes giving coaches time to do their thing is a better solution than constantly firing coaches. Harbaugh is a good example, at Nebraska he would have been gone a long time ago.

LMFAO this fanbase. So wishy washy depending on the wind direction. Everyone was saying that but now, he's got some recruits! He's DA BEST.
As long as his part of the team gets better. Great.
Results not bullshit like these threads.
To be clear I was always good with keeping Raiola so where is the wishy washy in this bullshit thread? I was being sarcastic on the firing him if that's the issue? Of course results is what matter but you have to give them time to make results happen included in that is improved recruiting and improved play on the field.

Looney Tunes Nothing To See Here GIF

Huh? Very few posters are calling for Raiola’s head. His line got better as the season went on. He recruited better than anyone so yeah .. he earned his keep
Wrong answer there still are those dopes out there and a number came back whining and crying wanting to eat crow and to them I say GFYS and take your crow and shove it up your collective asses! Not accepted!

A whole lot of people WERE saying it and have shut their trap for now. Many should be eating some crow but likely won't. Could end up being one of Rhule's best decisions in keeping him yet many on this board thought otherwise.
I'm on record saying that Don needed time with his own recruits before he could be accurately judged. What I don't understand is the timing of your post. It's kinda like posting on 10 Jan 24 that Osborne should have been fired for not beating Oklahoma sooner than 78.

And for the record, Don has not only earned his keep with his coaching but also with recruiting the second highest evaluated Oline in decades.

I'm on record saying that Don needed time with his own recruits before he could be accurately judged. What I don't understand is the timing of your post. It's kinda like posting on 10 Jan 24 that Osborne should have been fired for not beating Oklahoma sooner than 78.

And for the record, Don has not only earned his keep with his coaching but also with recruiting the second highest evaluated Oline in decades.
No real reason to bring it up now except that for the amount of crap he took and the many posts explaining his ineptitude, their has only been a couple posts giving him credit with what he has been doing with the o line.

A whole lot of people WERE saying it and have shut their trap for now. Many should be eating some crow but likely won't. Could end up being one of Rhule's best decisions in keeping him yet many on this board thought otherwise.
Dude....he had one decent season , I wouldn't say he has a pass now. Hell they wanted Satterfield drawn and quartered .
When you lose continually like we do, any perceived weak link has a target on their back.

Last edited:
Yeah I’m one who definitely thought he had no place on this staff, because of his product on the field, until he got his nephew and a couple other recruits signed.

Go ahead…give me whatever you got I guess.

LMFAO this fanbase. So wishy washy depending on the wind direction. Everyone was saying that but now, he's got some recruits! He's DA BEST.
As long as his part of the team gets better. Great.
Results not bullshit like these threads.
Yep. Most of what is said about our fan base is true.

I’ll tell you what, he better keep his nephew upright this coming year, or it won’t be “just the fans” calling for his head..😉

Reactions: cmblizz96
I didn’t like keeping Raiola to begin with, but let’s just say I was wrong! Good recruiting class, got his nephew and the o line looked significantly improved by the end of the year! Now this transfer, if we get another o lineman, and another receiver I think we’ll be in the cat birds seat. Good luck, GBR!

One bad game and they will be, again. The crowd still says he kept his job only cuz DR came.
No one is saying that. Literally no one.

Last year when the line wasn’t looking good and we lost to some bad teams people wanted him gone as part of the Frost regime. Understandable.

Rhule kept him. It was assumed it was for Dylan. People accepted the rationale.

Then when Dylan committed elsewhere some
Called for his head. They were arguably justified. Then he started recruiting his butt off and earned their respect.

No one was calling for his head then.

When his line actually improved this season no one was calling for his head.

Getting Dylan was icing on the cake but the average Husker fan was happy with the job Raiola did this season and was happy with him in his position.

No real reason to bring it up now except that for the amount of crap he took and the many posts explaining his ineptitude, their has only been a couple posts giving him credit with what he has been doing with the o line.
Where have you been? There have been a ton of posts discussing the O Line improvement. Especially in relation to leading the Big 10 in rushing (I think we ended up second). All season long ge was getting accolades for the obvious line improvement.

It’s like you’re making things up just to validate your thoughts that Raiola is public enemy number 1 here. He’s not. And he hasn’t been all season

If they WERE saying it but aren’t anymore, shouldn’t you have posted this post a long time ago?

Isn’t your point fairly irrelevant now then if no one is saying he should be fired now?

Maybe he wasn’t doing his job well before and now he is? So maybe that’s why people are or aren’t calling for his head

Let's see him put together an actual above average OL unit for once. Then I'll admit I was wrong but I'm sure as hell not going to do it before then. And I hope I am wrong about him.

There's been plenty of times in the past where we've "won the offseason" and it hasn't translated to results on the field. It's put up or shut up time for me. We'll see what happens. I've always placed more weight on actual on the field results.

The OP is totally correct. There were a lot of folks on here ragging on Raiola. I probably did too but I can’t remember. I know I wasn’t happy with the play of our line under his coaching early on.

But who cares now? Strange to dredge that all up now. Sports history is littered with players and coaches who were once criticized who then went on to greatness. Not a big deal.

No one is saying that. Literally no one.

Last year when the line wasn’t looking good and we lost to some bad teams people wanted him gone as part of the Frost regime. Understandable.

Then when Dylan committed elsewhere some
Called for his head. They were arguably justified. Then he started recruiting his butt off and earned their respect.

No one was calling for his head then.

When his line actually improved this season no one was calling for his head.

Getting Dylan was icing on the cake but the average Husker fan was happy with the job Raiola did this season and was happy with him in his position.
I guess you missed Kong’s posts?

Not that it matters one bit to anyone but I'm happy to say I never criticized Raiola as OL coach because I know improving an OL takes more time than for any other position. Even the legendary Milt started off slow a few seasons. So we'll see how he does now that he's getting his own recruits in place.

Ok cumblizzard96. Whatever you say.

Yeah I’m one who definitely thought he had no place on this staff, because of his product on the field, until he got his nephew and a couple other recruits signed.

Go ahead…give me whatever you got I guess.
I mean, that's terrible, but considering your affiliation I don't think anyone is surprised. 🤣

I didn't. I took Rhule at his word that after he was hired Raiola just kept on working toward next year and recruiting (the implication being the other assistants were treading water to see what was going to happen). And also, Rhule said Raiola's and his line technique philosophies were in sync. After Dylan committed to GA and Donnie got the contract extension, that lent credibility to what Rhule had said about keeping him.

Rhule had guys he wanted in Lincoln - Foley, Coop, Pot Roast, Satt and Dvoracek. It seems he wanted Peetz but that fell through and he tried to make it work with Mickey before the choking. There was an older dude who he worked with as a DC, but I think he retired. So he was looking for a DC and Oline coach. I think he found Raiola was someone he could work with and they both are part of the Hiestand tree of coaching the Oline.

About a year ago, there were people on here who wanted Raiola fired and Nash, Robinson & Benhardt cut loose. Think about that for a minute.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT