ADVERTISEMENT

SIAP: Tony White SD State

This has an impact beyond just White... if he would take a HC position I can see him taking guys like Knighton with him... If NU is to keep White then it's not just a pay raise for him but for his Defensive staff that got him here. No one on this board expected to see the DL perform the way it has and that alone allowed the rest of the D to do what it needed to be successful... every one of those guys needs rewarded for a job well done

This has an impact beyond just White... if he would take a HC position I can see him taking guys like Knighton with him... If NU is to keep White then it's not just a pay raise for him but for his Defensive staff that got him here. No one on this board expected to see the DL perform the way it has and that alone allowed the rest of the D to do what it needed to be successful... every one of those guys needs rewarded for a job well done
Only positive is I don't think White had ties to any of the position coaches prior to arriving at NU and I don't know that any are ready to be coordinators. Plus SDSU or Syracuse shouldn't be paying a higher salary for the same title at NU.

Only positive is I don't think White had ties to any of the position coaches prior to arriving at NU and I don't know that any are ready to be coordinators. Plus SDSU or Syracuse shouldn't be paying a higher salary for the same title at NU.
Unless it is a big step up in title (money), leaving NU for SDSU seems like a bad choice.

White going there to double his salary and be a HC, I get that, but why leave NU as a DL coach to do the same job at SDSU?

Reactions: MissoulaHusker
Knighton needs a big raise too. I don't think you necessarily need to give raises to everybody every year, but you need to keep the guys that other teams will want.

We're gonna have to fight off San Diego St. and Syracuse to keep White.
Tbh I wouldn't take either job if I'm TW. If the defense performs at a similar level next year, he'll get interest for better jobs.

No coach has succeeded at Syracuse since, who, Paul Pasqualoni? It's a tough job that's made tougher with all the uncertainty surrounding the ACC's future.

San Diego State seems like a job a coach takes when he flames out at a higher-profile gig, like Brady Hoke & Steve Fisher both did at Michigan.

Reactions: BleedRed78
Do you really think TW told the team 3 games ago that he was gone? I don’t see it that way at all.

Or are you saying TW has changed, ie, distracted by what is to come? If he told his players, there’s no way it wouldn’t have leaked already.
If not, then applying for HC jobs. I feel he is the type of coach who would be honest with his players. I feel something changed around the time of the MSU game…again, JMO.

If not, then applying for HC jobs. I feel he is the type of coach who would be honest with his players. I feel something changed around the time of the MSU game…again, JMO.
My personal opinion is teams figured out we aren't anything special at pass D and decided to exploit that.

My personal opinion is teams figured out we aren't anything special at pass D and decided to exploit that.
That could be. Our dbs do often sell out to run support. A strength with a tradeoff that comes with the TW defense unfortunately. Pressure helps offset that and we were doing great in that dept, but have been a bit silent as of late.

Hopefully that's different Friday and we sack Iowa 6+ times!

Reactions: huntered
That could be. Our dbs do often sell out to run support. A strength with a tradeoff that comes with the TW defense unfortunately. Pressure helps offset that and we were doing great in that dept, but have been a bit silent as of late.

Hopefully that's different Friday and we sack Iowa 6+ times!
Hartzog always seem to be a step slow in pass coverage. Not sure why but it is hurting us.

That very well could be. Something definitely changed around that time though, there’s other posters who’ve commented on it.

That would put him at the highest paid DC in the country. And the second highest paid assistant coach in football.

I'm sure he's good, but is he THAT good?
i imagine more OC/DC's will get the 2mil bump after this year.

i'd argue Tony White has been the most important part of the coaching staff this season.

perhaps its too early to tell, but many here would love to keep him as a HC in waiting.

Knighton needs a big raise too. I don't think you necessarily need to give raises to everybody every year, but you need to keep the guys that other teams will want.
Lovely, an endless merry go round. Who gets to determine this?

I love how people think SDSU is going to double the salary of their previous coach for a first time HC. Not sure SDSU’s budget improved from $1.2 mil for HC to $2 mil. If that was an option why didn’t Hoke renegotiate??
SDSU has two things in their favor. It’s a head coach position and his previous time there. Climate doesn’t hurt either but I don’t know where his wife is from. Financially we can match or beat what they’ll offer IF they offer.

SDSU has two things in their favor. It’s a head coach position and his previous time there. Climate doesn’t hurt either but I don’t know where his wife is from. Financially we can match or beat what they’ll offer IF they offer.
I was only referring to the people claiming that SDSU was going to pay white 2,000,000 per when they only paid Hoke $1.2. Everything else is ancillary. Money is why people leave or stay.

I was only referring to the people claiming that SDSU was going to pay white 2,000,000 per when they only paid Hoke $1.2. Everything else is ancillary. Money is why people leave or stay.
Money isn’t always the deciding factor. I’ve had a couple of D-1 coach friends and location and job security were big factors for them. They were tired of moving. So much so that the FCS D1 head football coach took a big high school Florida head coaching gig and the top 15 P5 asst head volleyball coach opted to start an NAIA program in South Dakota. The volleyball coach has had some success and has turned down FCS D-1 head volleyball jobs.

IF White leaves forSDSU it won’t because of money unless they get stupid. Cuse and SDSU could maybe offer him a long term contract that would be tough to turn down. I think our coordinator contracts are all 2 year deals renewable each year. Length of contract is a big deal.

Money isn’t always the deciding factor. I’ve had a couple of D-1 coach friends and location and job security were big factors for them. They were tired of moving. So much so that the FCS D1 head football coach took a big high school Florida head coaching gig and the top 15 P5 asst head volleyball coach opted to start an NAIA program in South Dakota. The volleyball coach has had some success and has turned down FCS D-1 head volleyball jobs.

IF White leaves forSDSU it won’t because of money unless they get stupid. Cuse and SDSU could maybe offer him a long term contract that would be tough to turn down. I think our coordinator contracts are all 2 year deals renewable each year. Length of contract is a big deal.
Money itself isn't always the deciding factor, I agree. However, I think just as importantly it shows respect and commitment if you're providing that the guy is well compensated for his performance and/or abilities. It also makes it a hell of a lot harder for other programs to come in and make an attractive offer.

If we can find coordinators that can put together top 20 defenses or offenses more often than not, which White seems capable of on his side, they're worth their weight in gold. If we can find that on both sides of the ball, we're nationally relevant again and in the playoff conversation. We should pay whatever it takes to achieve those types of results.

Tony White didn’t hire any of his assistants. They all came with.Rhule. Their loyalty is with Rhule.and SDSU can’t come close to matching salary and they would be going down a level.

You the one on the left or the right?
artworks-mZqDor5mCS4Q25Yk-ieNBNQ-t500x500.jpg
I’m the low to mid 3* 😜

• Haha
Reactions: Frozone
How much is parker getting? Whatever it is, it is not enough? The guy single handedly keeps Iowa in the hunt.
Their OC doesn’t mind getting out of the way and winning ugly. knows who his team is

Ours could take a page

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT