ADVERTISEMENT

SIAP: McCord turned down our NIL offer?

HuskerO

Offensive Coordinator
Sep 11, 2006

“Kyle McCord’s not our quarterback this year without SU Football NIL,” Wildhack said. “He is our quarterback, and he turned down twice the money from Nebraska.”
Cute for Syracuse. Probably ain't true, but I could see why they'd swing the way they did. They need all the help they can get being on the outside looking on the future P2 conferences.

Who cares? He took less money for a guarantee that he was the starter. I doubt Rhule could have made that promise and still signed Raiola, since Raiola needed to feel he was going to get a chance to be the starter.

Seems like all parties should be pretty happy with the way things have turned out to date.

Who gives a shit? I had already forgotten who McCord was. I hope he flops at Syracuse since they are one sorry program. I am still bitter about 1984. I was there in their stupid Carrier Dome for that game. Lousy butt ugly city with lousy weather and totally fickle fans. We were treated like dirt there everywhere we went. Hated losing to those jerks.

Who gives a shit? I had already forgotten who McCord was. I hope he flops at Syracuse since they are one sorry program. I am still bitter about 1984. I was there in their stupid Carrier Dome for that game. Lousy butt ugly city with lousy weather and totally fickle fans. We were treated like dirt there everywhere we went. Hated losing to those jerks.
And remember that McCord wasn't invited back by Ohio State. Sure they would have kept him on the roster but they didn't care if he stuck around. There's an interesting clip on Hard Knocks where Brian Daboll showed Marvin Harrison Jr. tape of McCord missing him on pass routes and potential TDs, then asked him what he said to the QB after those plays (Harrison said he kept things to himself- good for him!) Bottom line- McCord would have been an upgrade, but he's not in the same league as Dylan R.

Reactions: bigboxes

“Kyle McCord’s not our quarterback this year without SU Football NIL,” Wildhack said. “He is our quarterback, and he turned down twice the money from Nebraska.”
Except that isn't the story I heard. Supposedly McCord was eventually turned down by Rhule because during the recruiting process McCord's Dad became too demanding and Rhule didn't want to have to deal with that. I guess though that Syracuse and McCord are spinning it the way they want to make themselves look good.

And remember Nebraska parted ways during the recruiting process with McCord well before he ever chose Syracuse. It's not like he had offers from both schools at the same time to be able to pick and choose.

But honestly who in Nebraska cares about McCord now, I think it turned out for the best for Nebraska in the end.

Last edited:
Except that isn't the story I heard. Supposedly McCord was eventually turned down by Rhule because during the recruiting process McCord's Dad became too demanding and Rhule didn't want to have to deal with that.
He maybe had an NIL sniffer until they got too demanding

Kaelin is huge worry for me. Hopefully he sees the field in mop up duty. Can't remember the last time we have been able to get guys in that situation
I believe that Rhule is rebuilding our program. We will take a step this year. We are going to go all out on DR. Kaelin will get in the game in the 4th for sure. I can see him starting earlier to get him experience. We wouldn't have survived '94 without a backup who could step up and effectively run that offense. Of course, that's assuming Dylan is running an effective offense.

Meh. Who cares. Took half the $. Why? Because we weren't playing his game
I don't really care, but I care enough to post it as it's sort of interesting and (loosely) Husker related.

Sure, the Syracuse AD could be lying, but based on what he said, Nebraska was playing McCord's game in terms of money. What the AD left out (which others here have alluded & I tend to believe) is that McCord wanted to be named the starter here and Rhule wasn't going to promise that.

The Syracuse AD was smart in pumping up his school by implying, "People would rather take less money in order to come to a great school like Syracuse." Smart of him to try & create that narrative.

I believe that Rhule is rebuilding our program. We will take a step this year. We are going to go all out on DR. Kaelin will get in the game in the 4th for sure. I can see him starting earlier to get him experience. We wouldn't have survived '94 without a backup who could step up and effectively run that offense. Of course, that's assuming Dylan is running an effective offense.
Unless the season has an unforeseen hiccup, you’d likely expect Kaelin to see action in no more than 4 games while maintaining his redshirt. I would expect he’d like to be on the field for at least 1 game after November 1st so I wonder if MR will pre plan what his availability might be? Or he is going to be available the whole season and they will worry about the redshirt the next year.

Unless the season has an unforeseen hiccup, you’d likely expect Kaelin to see action in no more than 4 games while maintaining his redshirt. I would expect he’d like to be on the field for at least 1 game after November 1st so I wonder if MR will pre plan what his availability might be? Or he is going to be available the whole season and they will worry about the redshirt the next year.
I'd like to think they're not going to worry about the red shirt in just develop him. It's been a long time since Nebraska had a good QB room. A long time. So I think it's important for him to sacrifice his red shirt unless they have to later on. They need to get them both ready to go so that we can win games when one goes down. Wouldn't you agree?

We dodged a bullet with this guy. I'm no insider but I heard from a football staffer that when McCord and his father arrived for his visit to NU, all they wanted to talk about was how much he would be paid. When the NU coaches indicated they could talk about that later, McCord was done. Visit with academic personnel? No interest. Tour campus? No interest. Watch film to see how you fit into our offense? Nope. Meet players? No thanks. Rhule set up a dinner for McCord and his father and they didn't show up. They had already left Lincoln. Give me the guys we already have

We dodged a bullet with this guy. I'm no insider but I heard from a football staffer that when McCord and his father arrived for his visit to NU, all they wanted to talk about was how much he would be paid. When the NU coaches indicated they could talk about that later, McCord was done. Visit with academic personnel? No interest. Tour campus? No interest. Watch film to see how you fit into our offense? Nope. Meet players? No thanks. Rhule set up a dinner for McCord and his father and they didn't show up. They had already left Lincoln. Give me the guys we already have
I have no problem with that.

Ever go on a job interview with zero idea how much they will be paying? It is obviously the first thing you want to know, not the last.

It is even worse when you go through it all only to hear the lame offer at the end.

I have no problem with that.

Ever go on a job interview with zero idea how much they will be paying? It is obviously the first thing you want to know, not the last.

It is even worse when you go through it all only to hear the lame offer at the end.

If what cedric posted is accurate...i got a lotta probs with it. Not even sure where to start.

Reactions: Dylman and timnsun
By the time they got to Lincoln, Raiola to NU was already in the air. The combination of an entitled kid, his helicopter parent and the Raiola news produced a busted campus visit. Not exactly sure how interested Rhule and Co were by the time McCord got to Lincoln. I think they were kicking the tires, his visit got set up and then the Raiola bomb threw everything up in the air. Looks like a bullet dodged.

...and the fact he ended up at Syracuse says he may have REALLY over played his options and was attempting to bargain from a position of strength and leverage he didn't have, cept in his own head.
Cuse is spinning this as Cuse beating NU out for his services. More like NU found out Raiola was coming and no longer had an interest in his services.

If you don't know where to start...you probably don't have much of a problem with it.
You don’t have a problem with not showing up for dinner? Not meeting other guys? At least go through the motions, show some professionalism and respect.

I get the desire to know about the money, but to act the way he did (if true) that’s not a good look for him.

McCord may have a had a big cash offer from Nebraska at one time, but everything changed once Dylan came back in the fold.
yep

can only promise the job to one guy

seemed to work out for all parties prior to any games being played. I don't understand the hate for McCord doing his due diligence at all.

hopefully each finds the success they're seeking. and hopefully we keep throwing huge bags at potential difference makers every single offseason.

...and the fact he ended up at Syracuse says he may have REALLY over played his options and was attempting to bargain from a position of strength and leverage he didn't have, cept in his own head.
yea who would want to play in the ACC for a team that routinely finds itself in the Top 25 and get paid a ton to do it?

lol

yea who would want to play in the ACC for a team that routinely finds itself in the Top 25 and get paid a ton to do it?

lol
Are you sure about Syracuse being routinely rated in the top 25? . At the end of the year in 2001 they were rated and then again in 2018. Nothing since then. Are we talking about football or basketball? :)

You don’t have a problem with not showing up for dinner? Not meeting other guys? At least go through the motions, show some professionalism and respect.

I get the desire to know about the money, but to act the way he did (if true) that’s not a good look for him.
No, I don't have a problem with it.

NU invited him there, so it should be about him and what he wants and if he wants to know about money first that is where they should start.

Recruiting should not be one-size-fits-all. It should be as personalized as possible.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT