ADVERTISEMENT

SEC & Everyone Else - NIL & Transfer Portal Killing CFB?

JabroniBlvd

Sophomore
Nov 5, 2005
Let me preface that the expanded Playoff will help this issue a little bit. Top players are only going to the same 4 schools who always make the playoffs, so expansion will help that issue. If teams don't make the current playoff they rarely even care about bowl games anymore so it needs to be at least 12 teams or go back to 2.

BUT we just now saw the largest enrollment and deepest pockets Texas A&M just posted the best recruiting class of all-time. Coincidence? They landed 6 247 composite 5* - just to reference Nebraska has had 1 in the past 17 years....

We are also seeing schools in the Non P5 are stepping stones for their top players to leave to better P5 teams. Alabama is dropping a few overrated players to other P5 schools who rarely work out compared to kids killing it at the lower level teams and move up. They added the third best RB in the country and the best freshman DB this cycle in the portal to their already ridiculous recruiting class. Top players have been choosing a lot of these schools for a long time, but I think with NIL they don't have to even worry about cheating anymore. It's all open and if you have more money - you win.

Michigan was a pretty strong candidate from the B10 and looked like a JV team vs Georgia. I don't see this changing a whole lot in the upcoming years and don't forget that Oklahoma and Texas are also going to be in the SEC. It's them vs everyone else at the ELITE level. Scraps for everyone else.

Aside from Ohio St, the B1G has never been able to compete for titles. Not in the ‘70s, not in the 80s, not in the 90s, not in the 00s and certainly not now.

It’s the only P5 conference that has produced just a single championship program in the modern era of football.

Maybe time to look in the mirror? SEC is vastly superior in every way, and proved it by kicking the B1G’s ass in bowls.

I think it will be interesting to see things in 5 years with the effects of nil.
maybe they will have websites you click on the team, then player, then see his nil income...
I think Nebraska will be in the middle of the road with nil, we are not stanford rich, but there's only 1 team in the state. the good thing is we are in the big so the team it''self is well funded (60 million surplus after expenses, plenty for coaches and facilities), and donations can go straight to nil

BUT we just now saw the largest enrollment and deepest pockets Texas A&M just posted the best recruiting class of all-time. Coincidence? They landed 6 247 composite 5* - just to reference Nebraska has had 1 in the past 17 years....

We are also seeing schools in the Non P5 are stepping stones for their top players to leave to better P5 teams. Alabama is dropping a few overrated players to other P5 schools who rarely work out compared to kids killing it at the lower level teams and move up. They added the third best RB in the country and the best freshman DB this cycle in the portal to their already ridiculous recruiting class. Top players have been choosing a lot of these schools for a long time, but I think with NIL they don't have to even worry about cheating anymore. It's all open and if you have more money - you win.
Seems to me that the top kids overwhelmingly care about how they are going to get into the NFL. But with NIL money, I think all of that changes for a lot of kids. Studies have shown that most people will choose to take a smaller amount of money and get it immediately over a larger amount later on. So give a five star $200,000 right away, some will take it and just "bet on themselves" as they say-- assuming that they can make the league regardless of where they play college ball. If a school can pay you more money than an SEC school can, some guys will take it. But ultimately, a non-power house school won't have the money to bring in enough of those guys to change the college football landscape much.

The top 2 maybe 3 teams in the SEC have separated themselves. The rest of the SEC is nothing to get excited about.
A laugh out loud funny post.

If not for a 100-yard disparity in penalty yards favoring purdue, the SEC would’ve swept the B1G in 4 bowl matchups with more than a 50-point cushion in score differential. It’s not even close.

The SEC essentially competes in a different sport than 13/14 B1G teams, including NU.

Simply put- we play in a league that has, at every opportunity, chosen other things over athletic prowess.

Let me preface that the expanded Playoff will help this issue a little bit. Top players are only going to the same 4 schools who always make the playoffs, so expansion will help that issue. If teams don't make the current playoff they rarely even care about bowl games anymore so it needs to be at least 12 teams or go back to 2.

Michigan was a pretty strong candidate from the B10 and looked like a JV team vs Georgia. I don't see this changing a whole lot in the upcoming years and don't forget that Oklahoma and Texas are also going to be in the SEC. It's them vs everyone else at the ELITE level. Scraps for everyone else.
I think the teams at the top are not that affected by the portal/NIL.
As Pete Carroll used to say at USC, they get 25 first round draft picks every year.
I think that more than anything determines the hierarchy of CFB.
It could help other teams build better rosters and be more competetive.

One side note - the portal/transfer situation makes me feel a bit better about keeping Frost.
A new coach could bring in 15-20 portal players and transform a roster fairly quickly, reducing the damage of a couple weak recruiting classes.

If not for a 100-yard disparity in penalty yards favoring purdue, the SEC would’ve swept the B1G in 4 bowl matchups with more than a 50-point cushion in score differential. It’s not even close.

The SEC essentially competes in a different sport than 13/14 B1G teams, including NU.

Simply put- we play in a league that has, at every opportunity, chosen other things over athletic prowess.
So the officials were crooked and all of those penalties weren’t penalties?

Reactions: TheWayITellEm
So the officials were crooked and all of those penalties weren’t penalties?
without the 100-yard difference in penalties, there's a 0% chance purdue wins that game.

it was a clear mismatch at every position, just like every SEC-B1G matchup.

I fully understand that people are sick of hearing (the truth) that the SEC is leaps and bounds better than their respective leagues. but, you really have to do some mental gymnastics to actually believe that's not the case.

also- the expanded playoff will not "help" this "problem", it will just exacerbate it. at least half the final 4 will be from the SEC more years than not simply because that league produces consistently better teams than the rest of the country.

without the 100-yard difference in penalties, there's a 0% chance purdue wins that game.

I fully understand that people are sick of hearing (the truth) that the SEC is leaps and bounds better than their respective leagues. but, you really have to do some mental gymnastics to actually believe that's not the case.

also- the expanded playoff will not "help" this "problem", it will just exacerbate it. at least half the final 4 will be from the SEC more years than not simply because that league produces consistently better teams than the rest of the country.
I only asked if the penalties weren’t penalties and if the officials were crooked? Your answer is pretty accurate for someone’s question but just not mine.

if the players committed the penalties, they should be called. If they aren’t then they shouldn’t. Let the game be decided by the players doing their jobs the best they can.

When you get a moment to confirm the penalties were they or just making sure the B1G wouldn’t get swept that would be great. Thanks.

I only asked if the penalties weren’t penalties and if the officials were crooked? Your answer is pretty accurate for someone’s question but just not mine.

if the players committed the penalties, they should be called. If they aren’t then they shouldn’t. Let the game be decided by the players doing their jobs the best they can.

When you get a moment to confirm the penalties were they or just making sure the B1G wouldn’t get swept that would be great. Thanks.
I'm not a ref, so I don't know if they were legit or not. I've seen some say yes, and others say no.

I do know I didn't see the same avalanche of penalties skewed in one team's direction in any other bowl game.

either way, another HUGE nashville bowl win for the mighty B1G! very well-earned, and probably proof the conference as a whole is 'so close' to competing with the big boys.

You are totally delusional. Blinded by love of the SEC. Purdue was missing their top 2 players. Kentucky needed last-drive theatrics to beat Iowa.

And the Big Ten went 6-3, while the SEC went 5-7. (Not counting Rutgers, counting Texas A&M.)

You are totally delusional. Blinded by love of the SEC. Purdue was missing their top 2 players. Kentucky needed last-drive theatrics to beat Iowa.

And the Big Ten went 6-3, while the SEC went 5-7. (Not counting Rutgers, counting Texas A&M.)
from Dec 31-Jan 1 (aka when it matters), the B1G went 1-4 while the SEC was unbeaten.

Kentucky was missing by far its best player and a first-team All-American.

not counting Rutgers' L and counting aTm as a forfeit is just the height of B1G fan ignorance.

enjoy a great title game! by far the 2 best teams in the country going head to head in Indy while B1G licks its wounds and once again tries to rationalize its position in the college football landscape.

If not, but….

SEC did not sweep the B1G : Fact

SEC is no better than the B1G once you remove Alabama and Georgia. Fact.

SEC was dominating before NIL and will continue to do so. The PAC 12 has some of the same advantages and should really rise up and compete with the SEC at the highest level. The BIG will remain exactly what it is.

Reactions: king_kong_
from Dec 31-Jan 1 (aka when it matters), the B1G went 1-4 while the SEC was unbeaten.

Kentucky was missing by far its best player and a first-team All-American.

not counting Rutgers' L and counting aTm as a forfeit is just the height of B1G fan ignorance.

enjoy a great title game! by far the 2 best teams in the country going head to head in Indy while B1G licks its wounds and once again tries to rationalize its position in the college football landscape.
You're lucky Kentucky had those last-possession theatrics....or it would be Big Ten 7-2 and SEC 4-8.

If not, but….

SEC did not sweep the B1G : Fact

SEC is no better than the B1G once you remove Alabama and Georgia. Fact.
there isn't a single B1G team that would've finished in the top 4 of the SEC

and that's the case more years than not

Reactions: Mrs.Jeans15
You're lucky Kentucky had those last-possession theatrics....or it would be Big Ten 7-2 and SEC 4-8.
the B1G is lucky the refs threw 10 more flags on TN than they did on purdue

only B1G fans could make an extremely fortunate gentleman's sweep (1-3) vs the SEC something to brag about

pathetic. eagerly awaiting someone to post "yea but look at the conference annual payouts!"

There are two secs. Like every conference they have their elites, which are generally better than any other conference's elites. There are also more elites in the sec than any other conference. Once you get past those four or five elite sec programs, the other sec falls off the cliff quickly. A fan base like that of Missouri chanting sec sec is like a little chump standing behind the toughest kid in his gang saying "get em Butch!"
The college game is now a regional one, and I am losing interest fast. If the sec improves to five or seven elites (Oklahoma - Texas) then the rest of the country's average college FB fans will slowly fall away from paying much attention to the sport. ESPN knows this. They are pushing all their chips to the center of the table in betting on the sec to carry the dollars.

How dos the B10 compare to the SEC once you remove its top two teams? Fair is fair.
just remove Ohio St, the only B1G team even remotely close to the national title discussion on the field.

B1G does remain kings of the Associated Press, so there's that!

Reactions: Mrs.Jeans15

A fantasy SEC rednecks perpetuate (big word, look it up) by playing only conference games and filling the rest with the likes of Louisiana-Monroe. Then when they finally play actual non-conference foes in bowl games, the record is pretty average outside the CFP.

Ohio St would be top 3 in SEC every year. Bottom 2/3 of SEC is just average.

How dos the B10 compare to the SEC once you remove its top two teams? Fair is fair.
Seriously. Guess the SEC will be stuck slumming with LSU, Florida, Auburn, Texas A&M and the rest. You can leave OSU and Mich in the BIG remove Bama and UGA from the SEC and I would still take the SEC long term over the BIG. And that doesn’t include Texas and OU coming in. This is just a silly discussion. I don’t like it, but a blind man should be able to see it.

I'm not a ref, so I don't know if they were legit or not. I've seen some say yes, and others say no.

I do know I didn't see the same avalanche of penalties skewed in one team's direction in any other bowl game.

either way, another HUGE nashville bowl win for the mighty B1G! very well-earned, and probably proof the conference as a whole is 'so close' to competing with the big boys.
You’ve thrown that stat out as gospel and then have to get asked twice to actually respond to the legitimacy of them. Sorry you’re questioned but ffs if you aren’t able to be asked questions this might not be the bird for you.
The SEC is better than the B1G, seems an established fact. But why is it that when the SEC loses there is always a reason that isn’t they weren’t at fault for the loss.
Penalties? Well committing them is part of the game and can happen for several reasons.
injuries? Happens in games and can happen to both teams.
Enjoy the day and best of success to you in 2022 kk, but acting like an actual King Kong when the conference wins and then acting like the kid who got caught with his hand in the cookie jar making excuses and false praise to make yourself look “tough”, be better.

A fan base like that of Missouri chanting sec sec is like a little chump standing behind the toughest kid in his gang saying "get em Butch!"
likewise for any b1g fanbase claiming the b1g is anything but what it is - average at best in every single way

You’ve thrown that stat out as gospel and then have to get asked twice to actually respond to the legitimacy of them. Sorry you’re questioned but ffs if you aren’t able to be asked questions this might not be the bird for you.
The SEC is better than the B1G, seems an established fact. But why is it that when the SEC loses there is always a reason that isn’t they weren’t at fault for the loss.
Penalties? Well committing them is part of the game and can happen for several reasons.
injuries? Happens in games and can happen to both teams.
Enjoy the day and best of success to you in 2022 kk, but acting like an actual King Kong when the conference wins and then acting like the kid who got caught with his hand in the cookie jar making excuses and false praise to make yourself look “tough”, be better.
I am not making excuses, simply pointing out an extreme statistical outlier that occurred in the one matchup that didn't go like the others.

I told you I'm not a ref, so I have no clue if they were legitimate penalties or not.

I'm absolutely certain, however, that this anomaly weighed heavily in the outcome. as did fat Josh Huepel's buffoonery in the redzone.

Last edited:
I am not making excuses, simply pointing out an extreme statistical outlier that occurred in the one matchup that didn't go like the others.

I told you I'm not a ref, so I have no clue if they were legitimate penalties or not.

I'm absolutely certain, however, that this anomaly weighed heavily in the outcome. as did fat Josh Huepel's buffoonery in the redzone.
Thanks for showing excuses are the go to when the “gods” lose. Purdue was so blessed because of nothing they did to get the win. Got it.

Thanks for showing excuses are the go to when the “gods” lose. Purdue was so blessed because of nothing they did to get the win. Got it.
Purdue was very smart to continue calling the defensive pass interference play on all their 3rd and longs. they won because of it.

Tenn was dumb for thinking the flags would stop flying. it cost them the game.

your line of thinking is right in line with the rest of the B1G knob slobberers - completely disregard the fact the conference is unable to compete with the SEC and instead drill down on the one "win" the league "earned".

like I said, this bowl season proved all the B1G needs to beat its SEC peers is a 100-yard advantage in accepted penalties. not an excuse, just an objective fact.

Purdue was very smart to continue calling the defensive pass interference play on all their 3rd and longs. they won because of it.

Tenn was dumb for thinking the flags would stop flying. it cost them the game.

your line of thinking is right in line with the rest of the B1G knob slobberers - completely disregard the fact the conference is unable to compete with the SEC and instead drill down on the one "win" the league "earned".

like I said, this bowl season proved all the B1G needs to beat its SEC peers is a 100-yard advantage in accepted penalties. not an excuse, just an objective fact.
Nope sorry kk. If you read above I agreed with you that the SEC was better conference. Here again for you to try again.

Second, if the team commits penalties to stop the other team, maybe they just aren’t the better team. Crazy I know right.

outside of the two top teams in the SEC, there tends to be a rising one to two teams that are short time close but not quite there. The other teams in the conference, shake them and you’ve got very similar teams. Curious to see what the Sooners and horns do there. See them as more of the 7-5,6-6 teams of the current league with the occasional 10-2,9-3.
Again enjoy your day kk but while I am a fan the Huskers, watching the B1G do well is nice but not essential to anything in my life. You’re making sure the lost tribes on the Amazon rain forest seem to be a bit creepy. And I don’t know anyone that knob slobbers the B1G but seem to be writing with one for the $EC.

Reactions: king_kong_
It is the SEC and everyone else. NIL and the Transfer Portal will only make it more so. We are already starting to see and some posters in this thread have made very valid points. To piggy back off of these posts....name one time the SEC has done anything to benefit CFB as a whole? They haven't nor will they, especially when big $$ is involved. Their attitude down south is "Y'all have fun with your little bowls and what not but don't get involved with big boy football now or you'll get stomped." It won't stop. The SEC is all about football, and honestly that power is vested in a few schools...Alabama, Georgia, and Texas A&M (maybe Oklahoma) at the very top. Next group is Florida, Auburn, and a rotation of a few schools riding the wave (right now Ole Miss, and Arkansas). Texas will be the wild card in the new SEC. The SEC will continue to see massive upheaval in the coaching ranks at losing schools. Everyone will be trying to find the "next Nick Saban" and you'll see some massive overreaching.

The Big Ten, ACC, Big 12, and Pac-12 will have to for the most part use the Transfer Portal to mine G5 talent that wasn't identified early in the process. There will be a few schools, like USC, that won't have to but by in whole this will be the model for most. These will be a lot of G5 All-Americans (like Toure) looking to prove themselves at this level for a shot at the NFL Combine and getting drafted. The SEC won't have to do this...they will mine the best P5 players (like Robinson) to make their strong rosters even stronger. Who were some of the breakout players this year in the SEC? A couple transfers from the Big Ten (again Robinson from Nebraska, and Williams from Ohio State), expect that trend to continue.

It is the SEC and everyone else. NIL and the Transfer Portal will only make it more so. We are already starting to see and some posters in this thread have made very valid points. To piggy back off of these posts....name one time the SEC has done anything to benefit CFB as a whole? They haven't nor will they, especially when big $$ is involved. Their attitude down south is "Y'all have fun with your little bowls and what not but don't get involved with big boy football now or you'll get stomped." It won't stop. The SEC is all about football, and honestly that power is vested in a few schools...Alabama, Georgia, and Texas A&M (maybe Oklahoma) at the very top. Next group is Florida, Auburn, and a rotation of a few schools riding the wave (right now Ole Miss, and Arkansas). Texas will be the wild card in the new SEC. The SEC will continue to see massive upheaval in the coaching ranks at losing schools. Everyone will be trying to find the "next Nick Saban" and you'll see some massive overreaching.

The Big Ten, ACC, Big 12, and Pac-12 will have to for the most part use the Transfer Portal to mine G5 talent that wasn't identified early in the process. There will be a few schools, like USC, that won't have to but by in whole this will be the model for most. These will be a lot of G5 All-Americans (like Toure) looking to prove themselves at this level for a shot at the NFL Combine and getting drafted. The SEC won't have to do this...they will mine the best P5 players (like Robinson) to make their strong rosters even stronger. Who were some of the breakout players this year in the SEC? A couple transfers from the Big Ten (again Robinson from Nebraska, and Williams from Ohio State), expect that trend to continue.
Sadly for any none SEC fanes this seems to be spot on. Well said.

The Big Ten going 6-3 while the SEC went 5-7 at least warrants that the games be played on the field. Instead of simply declaring that the SEC is vastly superior and giving them 2 of the 4 Playoff spots every year. I'd like to see a REAL Playoff...16 teams.

• Haha
Reactions: Mr.Scary13
The Big Ten going 6-3 while the SEC went 5-7 at least warrants that the games be played on the field. Instead of simply declaring that the SEC is vastly superior and giving them 2 of the 4 Playoff spots every year. I'd like to see a REAL Playoff...16 teams.
spoiler alert - a REAL playoff will result in the same thing, except it will give the SEC a chance to have all 4 semifinal spots instead of the 2 they're allowed now.

want to talk about being 'given' things? how about the B1G's annual unearned 3 top 10 pre-season AP Top 25 spots that guarantee a playoff birth for a completely overmatched and undeserving "champion"? michigan didn't belong anywhere near the playoff, just like every other non-ohiost B1G team in the history of it.

how about the only non-ohiost national titles in the history of this conference being given to schools by the Associated Press after dodging teams on the field, hiding behind the "history/tradition" of this middling conference?

B1G went 1-3 in its only bowl games against competent programs. typical B1G fan pounding his chest about wins over .500 va tech, west va, etc., while claiming mississippi state & tennessee's losses prove the SEC is anything but the most undeniably dominant conference in the land.

PS - sucks you were born a minn fan. sucks even worse you were born a blind & dumb minn fan.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: baseball31ne
If you’re an SEC fan with personal self esteem and class, then you would stick to your SEC sites. If you’re an SEC fan on a B1G fan site, then you must be a redneck.

Note the proper use of you, you’re, and your. And the complete lack of y’all.

The SEC had two top teams and a bunch of ok teams that would be like most Big Ten teams outside of UM and OSU.
Iowa had UK beat despite 4 turnovers.
Who were the great teams in the SEC besides the Big two?

The SEC had two top teams and a bunch of ok teams that would be like most Big Ten teams outside of UM and OSU.
Iowa had UK beat despite 4 turnovers.
Who were the great teams in the SEC besides the Big two?
Same could be said for the big 10 although the big 10 won't be in the natty. The big 10 team in the playoffs got curb stomped.

Same could be said for the big 10 although the big 10 won't be in the natty. The big 10 team in the playoffs got curb stomped.
Straw man. Nobody is arguing that very top of B1G matches the very top of SEC.

Although, Ohio State has had more CFP success than Georgia at this point but just not this year.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT