ADVERTISEMENT

My simple NIL/Portal solution

HUSKERBILL

Sophomore
Sep 10, 2001
A lot of this could get fixed if the transfer portal kid that gets NIL money has to give up a percentage of it back to his old school or to an NIL that supports their old school.

That way if Alabama were to take a kid for $2M out of the portal (essentially buying a kid), then the other school that spent the time and resources on the kid would get paid. Maybe an equal amount has to get paid to the other teams collective? This is similar to pro teams that get extra picks when they lose a free agent.

What would happen is
1. The NIL money for portal kids would drastically go down because a team spending $2M on a kid would actually be spending $4M (2 to the kid and 2 to the other teams NIL collective). At some point it’s not affordable. So kids would make half of what they make now. Some of the kids wouldn’t leave for “half”. At some point it’s not worth it to transfer. Their own teams might start paying to keep them OR they just don’t leave.

2. The teams NILs that lose a stud would get compensated and could spend that money to maybe get 4-5 lesser players and mitigate the damages. Does a better job of the rich just getting richer. If a lower division team got $1M from a Texas AM collective, they could probably get a damn good group of new players out of high school or other portal kids for that money.

A lot of this could get fixed if the transfer portal kid that gets NIL money has to give up a percentage of it back to his old school or to an NIL that supports their old school.

That way if Alabama were to take a kid for $2M out of the portal (essentially buying a kid), then the other school that spent the time and resources on the kid would get paid. Maybe an equal amount has to get paid to the other teams collective? This is similar to pro teams that get extra picks when they lose a free agent.

What would happen is
1. The NIL money for portal kids would drastically go down because a team spending $2M on a kid would actually be spending $4M (2 to the kid and 2 to the other teams NIL collective). At some point it’s not affordable. So kids would make half of what they make now. Some of the kids wouldn’t leave for “half”. At some point it’s not worth it to transfer. Their own teams might start paying to keep them OR they just don’t leave.

2. The teams NILs that lose a stud would get compensated and could spend that money to maybe get 4-5 lesser players and mitigate the damages. Does a better job of the rich just getting richer. If a lower division team got $1M from a Texas AM collective, they could probably get a damn good group of new players out of high school or other portal kids for that money.
Problem is, you can’t regulate that legally. These deals are not contracts with schools themselves and the NCAA has no jurisdiction. The NCAA is such a dumb corrupt bunch of fvcktards that I wouldn’t want them touching that anyway.
Think of NIL as endorsements income of pro football players. NFL can’t regulate that stuff nor should they.
As someone mentioned somewhere, part of this is actually good for college football. Some good players will stay longer and get NIL money rather than try to make the NFL. Honestly, star running backs are much better off taking a couple big years of NIL money than being a 2nd, 3rd, or 4th round pick

The simple solution would be to just have the universities pay the players directly, and allow them to offer multi-year contracts. And put in an active roster limit like the NFL.
this is not just the simple solution, it's the only one for those who want this regulated

Reactions: shocksker
The simple solution would be to just have the universities pay the players directly, and allow them to offer multi-year contracts. And put in an active roster limit like the NFL.
this is not just the simple solution, it's the only one for those who want this regulated
^^^ combine with with transfer limits and a 'salary cap' and we're good.

If Texas and like remain able to spend 10x the dollars as their athletes as we are (and that's gonna be the result EVEN IF we spend to our potential), doesn't take a genius to understand we'll remain a mediocre team.

There's the Yankees, and there's the Royals. Dodgers vs. the A's. Some are perennially good, some are perennially bad. Anyone wanna argue that by far the #1 factor for this dichotomy is ANYTHING OTHER than Money?

Some good thoughts there, maybe someday a more level playing field will develop between the haves and have-nots.

I was never sold on the portal or NIL being some kind of huge win for Nebraska, maybe as time goes on it will, but I have my doubts.

If Texas and like remain able to spend 10x the dollars as their athletes as we are (and that's gonna be the result EVEN IF we spend to our potential), doesn't take a genius to understand we'll remain a mediocre team.

There's the Yankees, and there's the Royals. Dodgers vs. the A's. Some are perennially good, some are perennially bad. Anyone wanna argue that by far the #1 factor for this dichotomy is ANYTHING OTHER than Money?
The Tampa bay rays can argue for developing your own method of gaining an edge with extremely forward thinking and flexible decision criteria

But that seems even farther away for us than magically spending millions on players, sadly

Nebraska men’s athletics - perpetually a day late and a dollar short

Reactions: oldjar07
The NIL is way overboard. We're going to end up with some players making more than their position coach. Good luck with that.
Well, college football has an inverted salary structure. There are a lot of head college football coaches that make more than their AD bosses.

I dont understand how you can ever tell an adult how much or little they can make while attending college. Everything can be an endorsement now.

I mean, who woulda thought making this kind of money available to players would have had any negative effects on college football? Who woulda thought introducing a way for players to renege on their commitment for the sake of that money would have had any negative effects on college football? (sarcasm)

I loved college football that much more when it wasn't trying to be the NFL. It was simply a stepping stone for players to make it there. Now it is tainted. Does that mean I can't enjoy watching my team play? No. But it doesn't mean I can't acknowledge that the landscape of college football has changed for the worse and that I don't like it.

Last edited:

The problem with a salary cap is that the rich schools can still have boosters pay players with endorsements, so it won't even the playing field much.

Reactions: scarletred

What would happen is

So like when a business trains someone and they leave for a higher paying job, you want to send a bill back to the original company or have the employee pay them just to keep it even? This oughta work out well.

The problem with a salary cap is that the rich schools can still have boosters pay players with endorsements, so it won't even the playing field much.
Makes sense to me that fan bases more able and especially more WILLING to invest in their team’s talent should have an edge. The way it’s currently being (not) regulated tho, it’ll be the same very few teams in CFP year in and year out. The well-endowed teams will dominate the mid market teams (us), for all eternity, with exceptions here and there.

TCU was an exception last year. It’d be generous to TCU to say that UGA played the equivalent of their practice squad last year.

Makes sense to me that fan bases more able and especially more WILLING to invest in their team’s talent should have an edge. The way it’s currently being (not) regulated tho, it’ll be the same very few teams in CFP year in and year out. The well-endowed teams will dominate the mid market teams (us), for all eternity, with exceptions here and there.

TCU was an exception last year. It’d be generous to TCU to say that UGA played the equivalent of their practice squad last year.
People are looking at it from a different angle than the legal system looks at it. NIL was NOT about creating a level playing field among teams, it was always about player's rights to earn money for themselves through their personal likeness and services. Now fans may or may not like it depending on their teams access to NIL funds but the court decisions didn't/don't care about fan wishes.

Reactions: Huskers123456
The more we fail in the NIL era of college football the more I am convinced it was us who employed the bagmen and not the schools we all like to point and laugh at.
Knew lots of players and/or siblings growing up. I don't know about someone like LP but none of the people I knew ever got anything crazy, if anything. This all comes back to winning, or lack thereof. The enthusiasm and hope is gone. Rhule f'd himself. Win 1 or 2 more games and the season has a different feel and the enthusiasm for everything would be up, including NIL.

People are looking at it from a different angle than the legal system looks at it. NIL was NOT about creating a level playing field among teams, it was always about player's rights to earn money for themselves through their personal likeness and services. Now fans may or may not like it depending on their teams access to NIL funds but the court decisions didn't/don't care about fan wishes.
An endorsement shouldn't be allowed to be tied into the university then. In any way. And the players shouldn't be allowed to tie themselves to the university in their deals. They aren't employees of the university. They're students there to get an education.

The current status isn't sustainable and we all know it. Something will blow up eventually.
It's ugly as hell and getting uglier.
Let's say we do get one of the top portal qb's. The 2nd and 3rd stringers have as much a chance as a qb not named Sanders at Colorado.
Richie Rich throws two straight interceptions or gets a shoulder injury. Alright Purdy, you're in. " Like hell I am. You give me his salary or I am walking. Up yours and around the corner."
Explain to me how the dynamics of these teams are going to operate.

Reactions: EmormousDouchebag
Watch the NFL it has better pro athletes.
Any idiot that watched college football this year knows there are enough quarterbacks to go around, Rhule knows it. The key is finding the right one. Some people want to play for a school regardless of the price tag. There are players out there that want to be here, didn’t Wentz want to come to Nebraska, didn’t Burrow want to come to Nebraska. Nine out of ten Nebraska media types were high on Purdy and Simms and when we loose all these players to injury that we did, they all say neither of them are any good. Funny how bad they got with no support and no coach. Take care of one thing at a time get a quarterback coach and then get a quarterback. If you get a quarterback first, when there’s any issues the media will say, “so and so didn’t get along with the coach, or didn’t like the offense”.

Herbstreit was on the Pat Macafee show today and talked about Rhule's comments on NIL and also expressed the opinion that the solution to NIL is the players using collective bargaining to access direct payments from schools. I'm all for anything that creates a more above-board and fair system that's less of a free for all.

Let's also make sure that any time @HUSKERBILL changes jobs that he give part of his new salary to his former employer.
It wouldn’t be me paying it. It would be my new employer.

And that actually happens quite often in the business world where non competes exist and the employee or new employer buys themselves out of it. Sometimes it’s up to 50% of salary.

I actually had a non compete at my last job and my CEO was not letting me out of it despite generous offers to buy it out.

So like when a business trains someone and they leave for a higher paying job, you want to send a bill back to the original company or have the employee pay them just to keep it even? This oughta work out well.
Yes. This happens in the business world. There is no “portal” when non competes are involved. The higher you go up in your career you’ll eventually get socked with a non compete are contingency of your hire. Those lock you in. And yes, sometimes you can buy your way out of the non compete where you or your new employer are paying the old company money as part of letting you leave.

What would happen is

Just accept the hard cold reality that players will follow the money. If they see a better opportunity and that school has the money so be it. NU just needs to make 1890 transparent or replace it. I believe the fans are more than happy to help fund NIL but don't want to enrich people that are running it

Yes. This happens in the business world. There is no “portal” when non competes are involved. The higher you go up in your career you’ll eventually get socked with a non compete are contingency of your hire. Those lock you in. And yes, sometimes you can buy your way out of the non compete where you or your new employer are paying the old company money as part of letting you leave.
A noncompete clause is totally different than what you are talking about. If these players had that clause in their contract they could never go anywhere else. My daughter works for a large firm in tech out of NY and she has a contract like that. The NC is only for customers, she can't poach their customers if she decides to leave or go work for someone else. The customer is not footing the bill.

It wouldn’t be me paying it. It would be my new employer.

And that actually happens quite often in the business world where non competes exist and the employee or new employer buys themselves out of it. Sometimes it’s up to 50% of salary.

I actually had a non compete at my last job and my CEO was not letting me out of it despite generous offers to buy it out.

This should be rather obvious, but if they're paying it, you're actually paying it. The obvious example for this is seen in MLB when guys without a compensation pick tied to them get better offers than guys with one.

Just accept the hard cold reality that players will follow the money. If they see a better opportunity and that school has the money so be it. NU just needs to make 1890 transparent or replace it. I believe the fans are more than happy to help fund NIL but don't want to enrich people that are running it
How does this happen? Legally the university does not have any direct control over the NIL collective. If you want to be on the same playing field as the most aggressive NIL schools it starts in the unicameral. Good luck with that.
The only way to TRY and fix it throughout all of cfb is to make it NFL lite (employees/contracts). Iam sure the most aggressive schools will be all for that. Or not.

we're currently VERY disadvantaged in two very important ways...

a) we'll never have the money comparable to the most well-endowed ~50-60 teams in college football. So long as NIL is regulated as a free-for-all, aka wealthiest programs very simply Buy the best talent, we're not gonna compete for Championships. Simple as that. If anyone can't wrap their brains around that, I'd invite you to look at the rosters of the teams that have won literally every CFP championship, and 90% of the teams that competed in it, and compare their NFL talent vs. what we've produced. Look at their Star Ratings as 18-year olds. There's a painful difference there. Maybe make some noise in the BiG from year to year with 'better development' of our average talent.
b) We're haven't even tried to obtain better talent, have used the system Minimally, because of the rift between 1980 and the Dept. Allegedly. F*cking Davison!! That, and the natural Obstinance of 'traditional' Nebraska fans acknowledging that this is, in fact, the New Norm.

a + b = SHITTY FOOTBALL.

Need to change our variables.

NIL was NOT about creating a level playing field among teams, it was always about player's rights to earn money for themselves through their personal likeness and services.
This was Herbstreit's main point in the video I posted. The current system is NOT what NIL was supposed to be. It is literally pay-to-play.

Reactions: Tetonia
This was Herbstreit's main point in the video I posted. The current system is NOT what NIL was supposed to be. It is literally pay-to-play.
the opportunistic are taking advantage too, as they should. So should we, even in our limited capacity. As we're being drastically out-spent by much smaller-market teams.

the opportunistic are taking advantage too, as they should. So should we, even in our limited capacity. As we're being drastically out-spent by much smaller-market teams.
Do you actually know that we're being out-spent by much smaller-market teams? Where's the proof of that? The supposed insider Bud Elliott said earlier this week that Nebraska "has money." A quick google search reveals a couple of references to Nebraska being top-10 for NIL spending. If we're getting our ass kicked in NIL it's by the giants of the industry, not by "much smaller-market teams."

Do you actually know that we're being out-spent by much smaller-market teams? Where's the proof of that? The supposed insider Bud Elliott said earlier this week that Nebraska "has money." A quick google search reveals a couple of references to Nebraska being top-10 for NIL spending. If we're getting our ass kicked in NIL it's by the giants of the industry, not by "much smaller-market teams."
That’s an older article nearer NIL inception, if we’re talking about the same one, that I’m guessing was just based on the enthusiastic nature of Nebraska fans in general… but we’re NOWHERE NEAR the top 10 in terms of what programs are Capable of spending on athletes. That said, we’re not spending close to what similarly-endowed programs are. TULANE has a QB that probably being paid more than our entire offense. At least the sum of ‘market value’ numbers for that one guy (On3 reference) I think for real exceeds our whole offense. How well that translates to what goes into their bank accounts is anyone’s guess, but it’s obviously gonna be proportional.

we're currently VERY disadvantaged in two very important ways...

a) we'll never have the money comparable to the most well-endowed ~50-60 teams in college football. So long as NIL is regulated as a free-for-all, aka wealthiest programs very simply Buy the best talent, we're not gonna compete for Championships. Simple as that. If anyone can't wrap their brains around that, I'd invite you to look at the rosters of the teams that have won literally every CFP championship, and 90% of the teams that competed in it, and compare their NFL talent vs. what we've produced. Look at their Star Ratings as 18-year olds. There's a painful difference there. Maybe make some noise in the BiG from year to year with 'better development' of our average talent.
b) We're haven't even tried to obtain better talent, have used the system Minimally, because of the rift between 1980 and the Dept. Allegedly. F*cking Davison!! That, and the natural Obstinance of 'traditional' Nebraska fans acknowledging that this is, in fact, the New Norm.

a + b = SHITTY FOOTBALL.

Need to change our variables.
Why are we stuck with 1890 and Davison? I don't get it, honestly. Trust is a huge issue and with it in his hands it is lacking. The guy is also a Frost homer and probably doesn't want the program to succeed.

Reactions: huskerfan1414
That’s an older article nearer NIL inception, if we’re talking about the same one, that I’m guessing was just based on the enthusiastic nature of Nebraska fans in general… but we’re NOWHERE NEAR the top 10 in terms of what programs are Capable of spending on athletes. That said, we’re not spending close to what similarly-endowed programs are. TULANE has a QB that probably being paid more than our entire offense. At least the sum of ‘market value’ numbers for that one guy (On3 reference) I think for real exceeds our whole offense. How well that translates to what goes into their bank accounts is anyone’s guess, but it’s obviously gonna be proportional.
I don't believe any of those evaluations. I don't think these recruiting websites get offers right half time. No way they are correctly guessing salaries with all kind of variables.

Why are we stuck with 1890 and Davison? I don't get it, honestly. Trust is a huge issue and with it in his hands it is lacking. The guy is also a Frost homer and probably doesn't want the program to succeed.
I don’t get it either, and any donor no matter how small has the right to know about this BS. Our team sucks, mostly because of this.

I dont like the NFL model approach.

One idea I had was to give athletes a choice. You either go for nil and pay your own way to school, or you take a scholly that pays for college. Cant have both. Pay for college and your taxes with your own money.
Next, a school can only have so many scholly/nil players on rosters.

Finally, they should not be allowed to transfer more than maybe once. Dont like it? Tough crap, no one is making you play football.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT