ADVERTISEMENT

Satterfield

The players who played on that Championship LSU team and those who played on those stout Nebraska defensive teams would completely disagree with you . I would have to do the same. LSU has always had talent so he got more out of it. Suh and those guys are on record as to how much Bo meant for their development. A guy like Will Compton as well .

Like I said most fans just can't separate themselves from off the field Bo and what he said to even acknowledge what he was As a fan I will never get so invested that I can't take a step back and see it for what it really is. That's why I was one of the first to see Scott Frost for what he was as a coach even though I loved him as a player. Gotta separate yourself.

Forget Bo who talked shit about the fans and chancellor and remember what he did as a coach. Most of those close to the program can't. I can...

Holla

I think you're missing a layer in there when it comes to fans' tolerance of Bo. Not as simple as just completely separating on field Bo from off field Bo. For most (me included) the two were intertwined. A lot more fans would have been tolerant of off field Bo if on field Bo was better. His problem was that off field Bo acted like on field Bo was winning championships. He wasn't.

Had he not been such a petulant bitch when it came to just about everything, fans and administration would have been much more tolerant of his record. Conversely, if he'd have had us in the championship hunt year in and year out, fans and admin would have been much more tolerant of his bitchy petulance.

Nebraska deserved better. That's why he was fired.

I supported firing Bo. I did not support hiring Riley. Same way with Frank. I was fine firing him. I was disappointed in hiring Callahan.

Bo went as far as he was going to go. Too many holes. Just a toxic relationship.

I'm so glad Trev didn't settle and stuck with his man.

1. “Offensive coordinators don't get praised around here, so I'll probably be in the minority on this. But I thought Marcus Satterfield did a nice job on Saturday. Considering what the offensive coordinator has to work with on offense — so many key injuries and so much inexperience out there, along with a patchwork offensive line — I'm not sure you can judge the guy on this season. But there were several highlights: the touchdown pass to Thomas Fidone at the goal-line, then dialing up the deep touchdown pass to Jaylen Lloyd and some option plays that moved the chains at the right time. The one thing I can't understand — and can't stand — is putting the quarterback in shotgun on fourth-and-one. Jeff Sims probably doesn't help his own cause, but put him under center and sneak for the one and the fumble is less likely to happen. End of rant.”

I agree with this assessment and would also put Raiola in this category of way overblown criticism.
His willingness to work with the guys we have and to their talents (or lack thereof) has been part of the reason for the successful turnaround this season. We've had endless coordinators that insisted on using their preferred system no matter how inadequate the personnel were to the task. Satterfield is doing a great job using what we have and still getting pretty good offensive production. If we cleaned up the turnovers we'd have more points than the current total show.

I think you're missing a layer in there when it comes to fans' tolerance of Bo. Not as simple as just completely separating on field Bo from off field Bo. For most (me included) the two were intertwined. A lot more fans would have been tolerant of off field Bo if on field Bo was better. His problem was that off field Bo acted like on field Bo was winning championships. He wasn't.

Had he not been such a petulant bitch when it came to just about everything, fans and administration would have been much more tolerant of his record. Conversely, if he'd have had us in the championship hunt year in and year out, fans and admin would have been much more tolerant of his bitchy petulance.

Nebraska deserved better. That's why he was fired.
I'm not sure what the obsession with Bo is about. He wasn't very good when he no longer had Callahan's recruits to work with. He then went to Youngstown State where he bragged he didn't need to recruit hard and started well but finished poorly, just like at NU. Then he went to LSU which is loaded with talent and was embarrassed and run out of town as a DC.
He worked well with his brother Carl but both were hotheads and Bo couldn't keep Carl from getting into trouble of his own making. His record looks better than it really is because of a number of factors including playing in a weak Big 12 North then entering a then-weak Big 10 which steadily improved in the 2010s.
Bo was better than Frost and Riley, but he was rightfully fired.

With the resources we have that should be the expectation. Our schedule does look tougher next year. Winning 9-10 is probably going to get a little tougher with the addition of the Pac12 schools.

Win the games you should win and represent Nebraska well and I can deal with some losses.

It's hard to win football games. I don't know if the resources matter as much now as they used to. That said I don't see any way an average coach averages 9/10 here. Too many built in disadvantages. Tablet base, location, Nil now, recent history of struggling to name a few. Now add the new additions and it's even harder imo
HC Ruhle could be a GOOD coach and not average 10 a year in this current setup.

I think guys may be not realizing how difficult that could be moving forward.

But I can't wait seeing it play out. I think we have the right guy and I think he might be the best coach we have had since TO.

Holla

It's hard to win football games. I don't know if the resources matter as much now as they used to. That said I don't see any way an average coach averages 9/10 here. Too many built in disadvantages. Tablet base, location, Nil now, recent history of struggling to name a few. Now add the new additions and it's even harder imo
HC Ruhle could be a GOOD coach and not average 10 a year in this current setup.

I think guys may be not realizing how difficult that could be moving forward.

But I can't wait seeing it play out. I think we have the right guy and I think he might be the best coach we have had since TO.

Holla
I believe Bo had a fairly easy path to 9 wins during his time at NU. Rhule had what appears to be so far an easy schedule to 8-9 wins this year but isn’t starting with the talent Bo had. Bo took over a team with NFL talent all over the field to go with his schedule. Later on Michigan was not good. Wisconsin and Iowa were good but not great and most of the rest of the B1G was not good. OSU was not good the year Bo got his “signature” win against them and Doofus Fickell. There’s too many variables from year to year but Bo had too many games IMO where his defenses looked totally unprepared.

Reactions: OzzyLvr
Fans need to heed Rhules advice: one step at a time, don't get distracted by looking ahead. Of course fans being fans won't do that. But for now lets just work on winning the next game whether it be an ugly win or not. We need to win every next game we can in any way we can.
Winner winner chicken dinner.

I believe Bo had a fairly easy path to 9 wins during his time at NU. Rhule had what appears to be so far an easy schedule to 8-9 wins this year but isn’t starting with the talent Bo had. Bo took over a team with NFL talent all over the field to go with his schedule. Later on Michigan was not good. Wisconsin and Iowa were good but not great and most of the rest of the B1G was not good. OSU was not good the year Bo got his “signature” win against them and Doofus Fickell. There’s too many variables from year to year but Bo had too many games IMO where his defenses looked totally unprepared.
Since Solich was fired after the 2003 season Nebraska has had 20 seasons including this one. During those 20 seasons we have had nine 9 win seasons. We had one 9-5 season under Callahan and one 9-4 season under Riley. In their 7 years they only did it 2/7. Pelini did it 7/7. If what Bo did was fairly easy, other Nebraska coaches would have pulled it off more. You can't not give credit to Bo when it wasn't happening before Bo and all of a sudden happened every year he was the coach and then hasn't been happening since.

Since Solich was fired after the 2003 season Nebraska has had 20 seasons including this one. During those 20 seasons we have had nine 9 win seasons. We had one 9-5 season under Callahan and one 9-4 season under Riley. In their 7 years they only did it 2/7. Pelini did it 7/7. If what Bo did was fairly easy, other Nebraska coaches would have pulled it off more. You can't not give credit to Bo when it wasn't happening before Bo and all of a sudden happened every year he was the coach and then hasn't been happening since.
Having multiple worse head coaches during that time frame doesn’t make Bo a good head coach.

not asking you to project

but you're judging based on the box score, not the big picture

I'm not judging by a box score. Not sure what gives you that impression. I'm not a fan who just looks at a score or numbers to make up my mind. That's the easy way out. Anybody can say he had this many yards and this many TDs so it's a good or a bad game. It's deeper than that. I trust what I see and I trust my football knowledge completely. Doesn't mean I won't be wrong sometimes as we all are. But me judging by box scores is laughable.

I've watched every play of every game and seen every pass and every run. Seen some good decisions and several bad ones. Every good pass, every fumble, and every int. It's soooo much deeper than a box score. Can't believe you even went there lol.

I only judge HH like I would judge any Husker player or player from another team. I don't care where he's from or how much I like him ( fwiw I actually do like him. How could you not. Tough as nails that kid is). I can only judge him based on what I've seen thus far. Anything else would be speculation and unfair and more than likely not as accurate. The more information you get the more you know. So maybe my opinion changes a month from now. But all I can judge him in is what's currently available.

I think I can and have done that fairly. I think differently and that's OK as well. We don't have to agree .

Holla

I feel option and RPOs slow down the QB. What CFB team has won it all since Neb running the option. What team has ever won it all in the Big 10 running the option?

Unfortunately with this team I think it may be necessary if we wanna maximize the talent we have. This isn't what Ruhle or Satterfield wanna run but they are taking our offense to what they think or his can do best. Imo that's all coaching is. Take the option away from THIS team? I hate to even think tbh.

Holla

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT