ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting

Status
Not open for further replies.
The high from the bowl game has finally worn off it looks like...

Now it's time to judge recruiting once again before the recruiting cycle is complete. For some reason, I thought this approach may have died down... I guess not.

With your logic, why don't we wait until 5 years from now and judge this years recruiting class? JK, but serious old buddy, what exactly are we suppose to discuss on a husker chat board? Write about how great it is to have a mediocre class committed? It's going to take a whole lot for this class to compete with the likes of the upper B1G schools and he's got 34 days to do this. We are now on the eleventh hour for this recruiting cycle. He got a pass last year's recruiting and people are already asking for another pass. Do you realize what 2 mediocre recruiting classes in a row is going to do to this program in the long run?

As I stated before, I was happy with MR in the bowl game. I am hopeful he can improve in 2016 but his recruiting has to be lights-out next year. Sunshine-pumpers have 34 days left of excuses IMO. Time to do or die.

With some of what you have posted here, the situation has mandated the moving goal posts...

I will never hold eichorst to his outlandish statement that we have the talent to contend for championships... I think he said what the players needed to hear. To back this up is Boyd's testing info. Call it AD speak, but it wasn't something that should have been applied as gospel truth the way you have this entire season. He said it because every AD says something like this.

The whole monkey thing was a big mistake... Never should have been said. Certainly coaching has been lacking, and maybe other coaches brought in might have done just that. But the changes made on both sides of the ball, along with the bad coaching at times, sank that ship. We were very close in several games, meaning 9 or 10 wins was very doable this year... But it didn't happen. Goal posts moved for a variety of reasons, but the biggest one is reality... 5-7.

Recruiting... It appears we are in a bad stretch right now, but who knows how we will finish? Last I checked it's still December. We will get some good recruits (you have said this too). This year may be more disappointing than we were expecting. Schools have that happen. New coaches at new schools can capitalize on a lot of things, but maybe the 5-7 record and negativity about he program, and maybe an image of diminished Nebraska football program has taken a toll. Who knows?

If the coaches don't recruit better, they sure as heck better coach better. If they don't do either well, they won't last. The goal posts are moving, in my opinion, because instant gratification won't happen under these coaches. It will take time. Will we give it to him? How much time do we give? All good questions. I don't know the answer.

Can't believe I missed this one. This is the best post in this entire thread. Well said.

Reactions: timnsun
With your logic, why don't we wait until 5 years from now and judge this years recruiting class? JK, but serious old buddy, what exactly are we suppose to discuss on a husker chat board? Write about how great it is to have a mediocre class committed? It's going to take a whole lot for this class to compete with the likes of the upper B1G schools and he's got 34 days to do this. We are now on the eleventh hour for this recruiting cycle. He got a pass last year's recruiting and people are already asking for another pass. Do you realize what 2 mediocre recruiting classes in a row is going to do to this program in the long run?

As I stated before, I was happy with MR in the bowl game. I am hopeful he can improve in 2016 but his recruiting has to be lights-out next year. Sunshine-pumpers have 34 days left of excuses IMO. Time to do or die.
Aren't you the one who apologized just a couple days ago for acting like an idiot? What are you doing back so soon?

I hear ya, I'm just saying there are too many wringing their hands over an incomplete class. Come February 7th or whatever is the day after signing day if this class doesn't measure up this board will blow up, and understandably so.

Why do we have to light the fuse in December? That's all I'm asking...

The high from the bowl game has finally worn off it looks like...

Now it's time to judge recruiting once again before the recruiting cycle is complete. For some reason, I thought this approach may have died down... I guess not.

Our roster didn't get any better by winning the bowl game. Not yet anyway.

Our roster didn't get any better by winning the bowl game. Not yet anyway.
And that has what to do with recruiting?

I get that some people are too impatient to wait and see how they finish. We all want to see the top recruits committed now so we can feel better about things, but everything we seem to hear out of Lincoln is the class is full or nearly full with some big guns ready to pull the trigger. Some have even said top 15... Will we hit it? Who knows? But I do know we will finish higher than 42.

So Nate Clouse says as high as 14... KC reminds us every chance he gets we're still at 42... But by all means let's work ourselves up over where we are now, and not where we will be in February.

Again, pull the trigger then. By that time we will KNOW how recruiting will have finished. And I won't bother defending the coaches if they finish poorly.

Reactions: lovetheskers
And that has what to do with recruiting?

I get that some people are too impatient to wait and see how they finish. We all want to see the top recruits committed now so we can feel better about things, but everything we seem to hear out of Lincoln is the class is full or nearly full with some big guns ready to pull the trigger. Some have even said top 15... Will we hit it? Who knows? But I do know we will finish higher than 42.

So Nate Clouse says as high as 14... KC reminds us every chance he gets we're still at 42... But by all means let's work ourselves up over where we are now, and not where we will be in February.

Again, pull the trigger then. By that time we will KNOW how recruiting will have finished. And I won't bother defending the coaches if they finish poorly.

Exactly. Sorry, but you brought up the bowl game.

Exactly. Sorry, but you brought up the bowl game.
I see where you're coming from now, and I get it. The good feeling over the bowl win has no bearing on this particular thread, and you're right.

With that in mind, I withdraw that comment and simply go with my thoughts in the post after that one... Here it is again:

I hear ya, I'm just saying there are too many wringing their hands over an incomplete class. Come February 7th or whatever is the day after signing day if this class doesn't measure up this board will blow up, and understandably so.

Why do we have to light the fuse in December? That's all I'm asking...
Is there an answer for this question?

I see where you're coming from now, and I get it. The good feeling over the bowl win has no bearing on this particular thread, and you're right.

With that in mind, I withdraw that comment and simply go with my thoughts in the post after that one... Here it is again:

Fair enough on your withdrawal.

To answer your question, I'm not "lighting the fuse". I'm just stating concern about where we currently stack up in the recruiting rankings. It's kind of like watching a game, and being concerned about being way behind your opponent in the 2nd half.

Fair enough on your withdrawal.

To answer your question, I'm not "lighting the fuse". I'm just stating concern about where we currently stack up in the recruiting rankings. It's kind of like watching a game, and being concerned about being way behind your opponent in the 2nd half.
Cool. Can't argue that, reality is we are looking at the same thing from two different perspectives. In February we will be looking at it most likely from the same, or at least a similar, perspective.

Just one more perspective on the topic. Think of it this way. No one else has closed on the final 6 to 8 or so recruits that Riley and company feel good about to finish the class either.

Many people in this thread have been discussing where we will end up.

Many people in this thread have been discussing where we will end up.
Discussing is one thing... Too much arguing (which I am guilty of as well). My question has to do with passing judgment before the recruiting cycle is done. You know, those who say he can't recruit or his recruiting isn't any better than when he was at OSU.

It's one thing to say I'm concerned about recruiting. It's another to say he can't recruit or he isn't any better than when he was at OSU. That answer won't be clear until the class is signed.

Reactions: lovetheskers
We're still 42nd.
We COULD be 10th and it wouldn't matter either until February. Rankings don't mean anything until they are signed. Chill. Continually beating the drum does NOT help. You know we'll finish higher in the recruiting rankings than we are now. What is more important is how do we look at that class after they not just sign but make it to campus and contribute. Callahan's highest ranked class had a HUGE number of misses in it and we've already talked about the number of misses in this senior class.

So, you're basically saying say something positive, or say nothing at all...

What happened to this board?
No I'm saying that the board doesn't need hundreds of posts repeating the same tired thing over and over again. It clearly is not intended to help our football team. The only logical explanation for some of the posting is that they are either Pelini family members or drinking buddies just trolling. It makes no sense to repeatedly post that we are 42nd when it is nowhere near signing day.

Ahhh. So pointing out facts (42nd), and talking about recruiting (we're in the 11th hour) is trolling now, and anyone discussing this is related to Pelini or "drinking buddies." Some of you have gone off the deep end.

Also, to say "it is nowhere near signing day" is a little odd, considering it's 3 weeks away.
We could fill our class (ala Pelini) with several 3 star guys with questionable character and jump our rating in to the 20th range to make you happy OR we can be patient and maybe take it higher with guys that will actually play and stick around campus for more than a year or two. Oh for a a few more beer bottle over the head kind of guys like Bo used to take late. Hmmm....which should we do? You must be a very busy guy. It has to take a lot of time to troll both this board and YSU's board.

I believe we need to wait on judging recruiting. However there are plenty of people saying how we will gain 6-8 stud recruits and end up way higher...some are talking high teens...as if that is something to write home about. The call to only talk positive on the boards is kind of silly.

So patience (waiting until signing day) is the key to a successful recruiting class. Someone make sure to tell Meyer, Saban, Harbaugh, et al. this important piece of information.
Having a braying jackass trolling message boards whining about a ranking before the class is filled isn't a key to recruiting success either. Got news for you. NU wasn't able to attract a Harbaugh or Meyer in part because its a tougher place to recruit to. Nevermind that Harbaugh is a Michigan man to begin with and Meyer is an Ohio guy. So how many more posts before you get banned under this new name for trolling?

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT