ADVERTISEMENT

rb out of Texas committed to us today.

I think it may be Aphonso Thomas, out of Van, TX. This according to someone on Twitter.

6'0 - 190, Rivals 2*

I got the impression from the reporters on Twitter that this was our guy and our RB. Meaning only one. But, I truly have no idea.

4A Texas High School football is pretty damn good....I will trust this staff until they give me a reason not to....just like the previous regimes

4A Texas High School football is pretty damn good....I will trust this staff until they give me a reason not to....just like the previous regimes

Not saying he is anything like AA but many posters were down on the Husker staff when AA gave his commit. I just wish posters would give players a shot before being so damned critical. I can`t believe some of the comments on RSS.

Reactions: jeff v4
Clearly this staff is not at all afraid of being the first to offer. They've shown that a number of times already.

HUDL film here, like all highlight films it looks pretty good but I do see some things that I like. Reportedly 4.49 speed, not sure he's THAT fast but he's a fairly long strider and sometimes that's deceptive.

See a lot of these highlight films where the RB is impressive in large part because the blocking was so good. This is not that film, and what I do like is that he almost never goes down on first contact, and always seems to work hard for one more yard. Good speed and he breaks a lot of tackles.

(Definitely not Abdullah-type back, better size but not near the acceleration)

Not the commit I expected, but film is good enough I'll wait and see on this one.

Although since they added 6A, 4A is only the third level now. The offers/stars aren't eye-popping, just have to trust the staff on this one. Anyway, Welcome aboard young man!

Not saying he is anything like AA but many posters were down on the Husker staff when AA gave his commit. I just wish posters would give players a shot before being so damned critical. I can`t believe some of the comments on RSS.

We all knew this day was coming. Riley has been known for identifying talent where other people miss and eventually, someone was going to pull the trigger where the rivals rating and position on the staffs recruiting board didn't match. RSS responded in typical RSS fashion from the sound of it.

We all knew this day was coming. Riley has been known for identifying talent where other people miss and eventually, someone was going to pull the trigger where the rivals rating and position on the staffs recruiting board didn't match. RSS responded in typical RSS fashion from the sound of it.

It's good to see the staff winning these recruiting battles against the like of Texas State, Nevada, Stephen F Austin and Kansas.

Reactions: nothingkevin
It's good to see the staff winning these recruiting battles against the like of Texas State, Nevada, Stephen F Austin and Kansas.
He may be a bust. We won't know for a few years...

But you just can't help yourself, can you? You can't take a wait and see approach to see how his senior year goes and see if other offers come in and he gets another star?

Riley's reputation, whether you want to admit it or not, is quite good when it comes to recognizing talent. Like what has already been posted, I will trust this staff until they give me a reason not to. This may turn out to be that reason, but I'll wait a little longer than 500mile to start complaining.

He may be a bust. We won't know for a few years...
Riley's reputation, whether you want to admit it or not, is quite good when it comes to recognizing talent. Like what has already been posted, I will trust this staff until they give me a reason not to. This may turn out to be that reason, but I'll wait a little longer than 500mile to start complaining.

yes, according to the guys at the OWH, Mike Riley and his staff poop rainbow glitter.

Sometimes you have to look outside a 500 mile radius and Trollville to find a talent - I am not a judge of talent like our resume heavy rb coach; but I am also excited.

** Like Huskerbr12 above;, I see that talent. AA was a good inside runner and similar size and was considered our 3rd rb in that class; that Beck found; he believed his eyes and the players character. In tape he gets the edge; he takes it and goes.
** Coach has a history of taking this type of back to stardom; and we show him AA and our AA freshman returner getting blended into the offense.
** RRT is nice to the learning disabled; they must live in a Matrix and alway win.
** We seem to like grabbing rb's who power through traffic; with great moves and power. reads and returns .
** Seems to read well and then make some common plays look like punt returns, with cuts through tackles; shows good film speed in taking edge and breaking it.

yes, according to the guys at the OWH, Mike Riley and his staff poop rainbow glitter.
So what are your credentials? Just curious, since you seem to know more than Riley and staff...

It's one thing if this occurred in January, meaning we've got to find someone. But this is the end of May. They have plenty of time to find the right RB, unless they think they've already found him. It seems to me this is the guy they wanted, and it must have been for a reason. They saw something they liked, which led them to make the offer.

Why would they make this offer at this stage when there is so much time left? This isn't their first time recruiting players, so why did they pull the trigger now?

Maybe there is something to this kid being a late bloomer...

4A??? Not really- it goes 6,5,4, etc... Equivalent to Broken Bow size in Nebraska, and that might not be even the best comparison but 4A is small school here in Texas

looks like he can negotiate thru traffic pretty well.

4A??? Not really- it goes 6,5,4, etc... Equivalent to Broken Bow size in Nebraska, and that might not be even the best comparison but 4A is small school here in Texas

Lol.. There are 20 4A schools in Texas That could make a run at a Class A title in Nebraska. I watched his film repeatedly. Broken Bow would get Broken in half in Texas 4A.

This kid is a speed back. He will not be a feature back for Riley.

With all due respect, you hold Nebraska high school football to a status level that has not been attained.

I remember how no one else recruited Ameer Abdullah as a running back.

According to text I just got.

I watched his Hudl. He reminds me of a bigger version of Ameer with good balance and fight for yards after contact. Maybe not quite as shifty. He has above average speed as it relates to the level of play around him. Looks like a pretty good pick up. I have no doubt his offer list will start to grown. Our job now is to continue to recruit him and build upon the relationship. I guess I'd rather have a solid yes from a player like this than the ego maniac that wants to flirt with 20 schools and leave you sitting home at the last minute.

They want the kid for his ability to protect the QB. A running team no more. MR bought the "How to throw a football like a dart in cold weather" DVD from that Time Life infommercial featuring the New England Patriots equipment crew.

In all seriousness, look at his video, kid looks like a pretty tough runner.

Ok I'll admit this isn't the next commit I was expecting and the offer list is very meh but all the people who are bashing Riley, please tell me you did the same to Bo when he first started recruiting(?). Lets see if he turns into something after he gets on campus. If we see a trend a few years down the road where all these low star kids aren't developing then yeah, questioning the staff should be expected but he we haven't even seen him coach his first game in Lincoln.

And to the people saying no one wanted Ameer lol yeah right. Asked Auburn and Bama fans. They were pissed their coaching staffs let Ameer get out of the state. He played in the top division in Alabama.

If NU takes a shot in the dark on a kid, RB might be the best position to do it, so long as this is a two back class.

Riley and Co. know more than all of us, so I'm on board with the kid. His film is not unreal, but, they see something.

If history holds true, ASU and UM will be offering this week. That might makes some feel better. If he camps, his ranking may improve.

Reactions: Cornicator
Texas 4A schools have roughly 500 to 1000 total students. So not the highest level of competition, but good players can come from any size school. IIRC, Keyuo Craver came from a smaller 2A or 3A school (but I think he was also first-team all-state as a RB and had a list of other accolades).

It's possible that he could end up a 5 star, high school all-American player. It's also possible he could be a 2 star with the same type of offers he has now.

He is 3A, all they did was change 6-man to 1A and bump every one up a number, so now instead of 6-man, 1A, 2A, it starts 1A (6-man), 2A, 3A and so on to 6A, the former 5A.

Last edited:
I'll take any coaches talent evaluation over my own. Welcome aboard!

If his star rating stays at 2:
"another reach by Riley and staff"

If the star rating rises to 3 or 4:
"there's a 5 star in his state still uncommitted, why aren't we going after him?"

If he gets more offers from big time programs:
"we'll never be able to keep him"

If he flips to another program before signing day:
"Told ya we'd never keep him"

If he wins the Heisman as a true freshman:
"even a broken clock is right twice a day, look at the rest of the class"

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT