ADVERTISEMENT

rb out of Texas committed to us today.

I love how a ton of posters on reply is "I'll trust the staff".

Please remind me why this staff deserves that credit? What have they ever done over the other top 20 coaching staffs in America? this class looks a lot like an Oregon State class. Everyone kept rightfully calling BO insane for doing the same things and expecting different results. Hmmm, MR keeps recruiting low rated talent as he did at OSU. But I guess he wins with it here?

Spinner, it's called giving him the benefit of the doubt. you want all of us to call him out, and we want you to give him a chance. The reality is, we're on separate sides of the fence. Just accept that, and you won't be so surprised that there are people supporting this coaching staff.

Mike Riley does have a reputation for finding and developing talent. We've seen enough evidence of that in other threads. Why is that so hard for you to process?

Please remind me why this staff deserves that credit? What have they ever done over the other top 20 coaching staffs in America? this class looks a lot like an Oregon State class. Everyone kept rightfully calling BO insane for doing the same things and expecting different results. Hmmm, MR keeps recruiting low rated talent as he did at OSU. But I guess he wins with it here?

The staff deserves the credit, and gets my trust, because our Head Coach knows more about football than I do. I would not presume to judge their choices of recruits for many years, as only time can bear out the validity of their choices. I can certainly understand the "star rating" narrative, and I don't necessarily disagree. However, I think it's detrimental to gaze stars as a Nebraska Football fan. We're just not that kind of program, and I don't expect us to be (without serious NCAA penalties, at least). Great programs need both stars and great coaching, but I'd hope for great coaching first. You may be looking for a program like Texas......you will find them south of here.

Spinner, it's called giving him the benefit of the doubt. you want all of us to call him out, and we want you to give him a chance. The reality is, we're on separate sides of the fence. Just accept that, and you won't be so surprised that there are people supporting this coaching staff.

Mike Riley does have a reputation for finding and developing talent. We've seen enough evidence of that in other threads. Why is that so hard for you to process?

AMEN!!! Seriously, give the staff a chance to see what they can do here.

Because a ton of posters like me also gave Bo's staff our trust. We gave Callahan's staff our trust and Frank's staff our trust. Maybe the world sucks and I am old-fashioned, but I still chose to trust seemingly well-intentioned people until they prove otherwise.

I expect better talent as well. Talent is the reason we are getting boat raced in games not just scheme.

Better coaches are getting better talen. How do we keep up.?

I expect better talent as well. Talent is the reason we are getting boat raced in games not just scheme.

Absolutely talent plays a part... And it can't be underestimated. But I do not believe we got destroyed by Wisconsin over and over and lost to Minnesota two years in a row because of better talent on the other sideline.

Don't underestimate the poor schemes... We were BADLY out coached in those games, which was all about schemes.

And how do we keep up? how can you not like the effort given by the coaches to recruiting, with the Big Red camps and the satellite camps, the offers to top players around the country, and the organization given to recruiting under this staff? It will pay off...

When we get guys like O'Brien, people don't say a word. But when we get a 2 star running back, the sky is falling!

Why the double standard?

Reactions: steelclaw

I somewhat agree, I was hoping with all the Tradition, facilities, budgets, fan base, ect...... MR could recruit better than OSU recruiting results, so far, I can't see the difference.

The top two backs at Baylor are the new 4A RBs from old 3A. Talent is talent and skills are skills.

According to coaches, the scheme was the problem versus Wisconsin, thus OSU beat them 59-0 and it wasn't that close.

Don't waste your time. Some posters have shown they'll be miserable no matter who the head coach is. Not worth responding to them as they don't care to have an actual discussion that might shake their life sucks shallow ignorant evaluation of everything.

It has to be both, ladies and gentlemen. Gnash your teeth all you want about Nature vs Nurture when it comes to football, but facts are facts..

If you wanna be a 10-11 win team that nips at the heels of the playoff teams, keep with that "wait and see, we're gonna make lemonade out of lemons" approach. I didn't realize NU was hoping to be the next Boise State or TCU that sure is solid for a stretch but always end up crying about not getting the "respect we deserve."

If you think there will be another national title ever again without elite recruiting classes, you are wrong. Plain and simple. You MUST have great players. Then you must coach them well. The two are inseparable.

I'm firmly in the wait and see category, because I won't post statements in which I claim to know more about football that Bo or Riley, or anyone else on any UN staff; nor will I post ridiculous assertions about a running back based on three minutes of hand-selected, grainy film against opponents I know nothing about. I realize such things make the message board world go 'round, but it's all so silly.

That said, Riley's "reputation" for "finding and developing talent" is nothing more than certain people's opinion, and opinions are variable by their very nature; they are not statements of fact. But what isn't a mere matter of opinion is Riley's W-L record with that found-and-developed talent, and face it, regardless of what one thinks of him, or Bo, that record ain't anything to write home about. Blistering folks about it doesn't make the Riley hire resonate any more (or less) with me.

Where did that kid go to college? Just interested.
Couldn't find a Rivals profile, but here's a little info on the kid who started over Aphonso... Matt Savis

Via Twitter, Savis committed to Southeastern Oklahoma State University. The kid has good numbers, accolades, and decent film. Not sure why he's not at the FBS level.

It has to be both, ladies and gentlemen. Gnash your teeth all you want about Nature vs Nurture when it comes to football, but facts are facts..

If you wanna be a 10-11 win team that nips at the heels of the playoff teams, keep with that "wait and see, we're gonna make lemonade out of lemons" approach. I didn't realize NU was hoping to be the next Boise State or TCU that sure is solid for a stretch but always end up crying about not getting the "respect we deserve."

If you think there will be another national title ever again without elite recruiting classes, you are wrong. Plain and simple. You MUST have great players. Then you must coach them well. The two are inseparable.
I do agree with you, it does have to be both. Scheme alone only takes you so far.

What I was saying is if your scheme sucks, that can be very hard for talent alone to overcome. The unknown is that we don't know what this kid will be like a year from now. I appreciated with cornicator shared with regards to this kid sharing time with an elite talent last year... If he wasn't talented himself, why would he share time? Certainly could have been a backup role where the starters all sit and the backups get their stats, but for the kid to get over 800 yards when the starter was a 4 year starter, maybe this kid isn't so bad after all...

I know the wait and see approach isn't always the most appreciated approach, but to gnash teeth and wring hands at the beginning of June... well, I just don't get that. These coaches saw something they liked, and must have liked A LOT, otherwise they would not have offered him so early. There is too much recruiting time left to give scholarships away to marginal players... Time will tell...

I'm firmly in the wait and see category, because I won't post statements in which I claim to know more about football that Bo or Riley, or anyone else on any UN staff; nor will I post ridiculous assertions about a running back based on three minutes of hand-selected, grainy film against opponents I know nothing about. I realize such things make the message board world go 'round, but it's all so silly.

That said, Riley's "reputation" for "finding and developing talent" is nothing more than certain people's opinion, and opinions are variable by their very nature; they are not statements of fact. But what isn't a mere matter of opinion is Riley's W-L record with that found-and-developed talent, and face it, regardless of what one thinks of him, or Bo, that record ain't anything to write home about. Blistering folks about it doesn't make the Riley hire resonate any more (or less) with me.
You're right, it is certain peoples' opinions... but those who share those opinions are quite knowledgable about college football. It isn't just a random message board poster alone saying Riley is a good talent evaluator. That's why I think his leash should be a little longer. Could their opinions be wrong? Absolutely. But I trust them more than I trust those who have the opinion that his recruiting is subpar because this guy is only 2 stars... Credentials do matter to me...

Not saying he is anything like AA but many posters were down on the Husker staff when AA gave his commit. I just wish posters would give players a shot before being so damned critical. I can`t believe some of the comments on RSS.

But there were clearly some we had no business offering under the previous staff right? It seems they did better their last 2-3 years.

Let me state that I agree with the above quote 98%, but in recognizing that, it causes me some pain. If we look at the way the college football landscape has changed in the last 20, 10, and even 5 years, it bodes ill for Nebraska. With scholarship reductions, restrictions, expanded television opportunities for all programs, and population shifts, all signs indicate DoNU will continue to operate at a disadvantage. Many may disagree, but I don't feel Nebraska will ever be a recruiting powerhouse like LSU, Florida, or even Ohio State. What this means for me is that we may have to get our mindset around being the next Boise State, TCU, Virginia Tech, or the like. Although I agree you need great coaching and great athletes to win it all (see: Ohio State) I feel we're going to have to coach above average talent to that level. We'll get a five star here and there, but gone are the dreams of consistent top 5 classes. They just aren't happening here, unless we go the Auburn route.

[QUOTE="timnsun, But I trust them more than I trust those who have the opinion that his recruiting is subpar because this guy is only 2 stars...

I don't recall seeing objections to the 2 star status, what I saw were people puzzled why no in-state D-1 schools (or any other major programs) had given him an offer. I don't claim to be able to evaluate talent from a HUDL film, but I think that the coaching staffs of UT, A&M, TCU, Baylor, etc., can make a pretty good evaluation and some of them have seen him in person at games and camps. It just raises a question of whether we were fortunate to pick up an under the radar recruit out of the hottest recruiting area in the country or if our staff grabbed an available second-rate talent because that is what they are use to.

[QUOTE="timnsun, But I trust them more than I trust those who have the opinion that his recruiting is subpar because this guy is only 2 stars...

I don't recall seeing objections to the 2 star status, what I saw were people puzzled why no in-state D-1 schools (or any other major programs) had given him an offer. I don't claim to be able to evaluate talent from a HUDL film, but I think that the coaching staffs of UT, A&M, TCU, Baylor, etc., can make a pretty good evaluation and some of them have seen him in person at games and camps. It just raises a question of whether we were fortunate to pick up an under the radar recruit out of the hottest recruiting area in the country or if our staff grabbed an available second-rate talent because that is what they are use to.

This hopefully the former not the later.

Fair enough, maybe I shouldn't have said 2 star... I do still appreciate cornicator's assessment, but haven't seen anybody comment on how this guy might be good enough to steal carries from the all state, 4 year starter who was there with him this last season...

Comparing any new RB to Ameer is not a good idea. I say the same thing about comparing any neb head coach to dr tom. Players like ameer only come around once on a very great while. Will be interesting to follow this new RBs Rivals ranking and offer list going forward. RB is a position I feel pretty confident about in the yrs to come. His current offer list does leave a lotime to be desired but it is still relatively early in the process.

Bo & Frank had never been head coaches before they came to NU. BC had never been a HC in college. So we really had nothing to base an opinion on with those guys. MR has coached many years of college football and his teams were sub-par at best. He recruited these types of players at OSU so why should I feel like he will improve here? Why should I have faith in him when history shows he's a proven bad recruiter? IF he had came in and started landing highly recruited kids, then he would have shown us he can improve. Hasn't done that yet.

one thing that sticks out to me about this RB is Texas State was recruiting him hard. Texas state doesn't recruit kids that hard that they think are BCS type of backs cause they know it's a waste of time.

Does Riley really have a track record of developing low rated HS kids? Yes and no. He's been able to develop a few guys a year into draft prospects but has never been able to really develop enough to make a great 2-deep roster. Notice the lack of any sort of titles in American football.

And I am not one of those people who is always unhappy. I am happy most of the time. I just am not happy with the way the program is going. I wasn't happy with BO and I am not happy with Riley's recruiting. Doesn't mean I am unable to be satisfied. When Riley beats out A&M, Baylor, & TCU for Texas kids, I'll be happy. But I am not too impressed with beating out SF Austin & Texas State. WOW, what an accomplishment.

Spinner, are you reading about all the work the coaches have been doing and the big time talent that is planning to visit / already visited? Or is that just fluff?

I know, he still has to land the talent, but I never remember reading this much about all the recruiting efforts under Bo... This is why I and others are saying, give the coaches a chance.

That's all. You may be right, but it is super frustrating that you equate recruiting to OSU as the same as recruiting to Nebraska. I think it is safe to say you will be pleasantly surprised, maybe not about this one recruit, but what about the rest? Wait and see... That's all we can do.

Bo & Frank had never been head coaches before they came to NU. BC had never been a HC in college. So we really had nothing to base an opinion on with those guys. MR has coached many years of college football and his teams were sub-par at best. He recruited these types of players at OSU so why should I feel like he will improve here? Why should I have faith in him when history shows he's a proven bad recruiter? IF he had came in and started landing highly recruited kids, then he would have shown us he can improve. Hasn't done that yet.

one thing that sticks out to me about this RB is Texas State was recruiting him hard. Texas state doesn't recruit kids that hard that they think are BCS type of backs cause they know it's a waste of time.

Does Riley really have a track record of developing low rated HS kids? Yes and no. He's been able to develop a few guys a year into draft prospects but has never been able to really develop enough to make a great 2-deep roster. Notice the lack of any sort of titles in American football.

And I am not one of those people who is always unhappy. I am happy most of the time. I just am not happy with the way the program is going. I wasn't happy with BO and I am not happy with Riley's recruiting. Doesn't mean I am unable to be satisfied. When Riley beats out A&M, Baylor, & TCU for Texas kids, I'll be happy. But I am not too impressed with beating out SF Austin & Texas State. WOW, what an accomplishment.

I think you are being a bit unfair to Riley. His teams were not always sub par as you state. OSU is a little tiny fish in the big ocean called the PAC 12. They can`t compete with SC, UCLA, Stanford, Oregon, ASU year in and year out. On occasion Riley would beat them but certainly not year in and year out. They don`t have the resources or facilities to do so. Oregon State reminds me a bit of Northwestern. They always play tough but rarely have the horses to win the big ones.

Spinner, are you reading about all the work the coaches have been doing and the big time talent that is planning to visit / already visited? Or is that just fluff?

I know, he still has to land the talent, but I never remember reading this much about all the recruiting efforts under Bo... This is why I and others are saying, give the coaches a chance.

That's all. You may be right, but it is super frustrating that you equate recruiting to OSU as the same as recruiting to Nebraska. I think it is safe to say you will be pleasantly surprised, maybe not about this one recruit, but what about the rest? Wait and see... That's all we can do.

His effort is there but effort alone won't land commits from top end recruits.

They always play tough but rarely have the horses to win the big ones.

That's my fear and why I'm almost in panic mode. Riley didn't have the horses at Oregon State to beat the top tier PAC 12 teams consistently. Yet he is recruiting the same types of kids at NU, how is he going to have the horses to beat top tier B1G teams consistently?

His effort is there but effort alone won't land commits from top end recruits.
You're right about that but it is a step in the right direction. I hate having to wait and see, would rather the top recruits line up now, but we have no other choice at the moment.

That's my fear and why I'm almost in panic mode. Riley didn't have the horses at Oregon State to beat the top tier PAC 12 teams consistently. Yet he is recruiting the same types of kids at NU, how is he going to have the horses to beat top tier B1G teams consistently?
It's going to take time. We did not hire a rainmaker-type recruiter along with MR. So it's going to be a brick-by-brick build. The sooner we start winning the big games with the players we have, the sooner MR will be able to start pulling in better recruits. It's not happening overnight....that is not the direction our program leaders chose.

The difference is Nebraska has the facilities and resources. Oregon State is in the bottom tier of most D1 programs for football $ and facilities.

The difference is Nebraska has the facilities and resources. Oregon State is in the bottom tier of most D1 programs for football $ and facilities.

And Spinner is ignoring that MR has kept and pulled in big recruits already. He kept the Davis twins and pulled in Barnett in a short time.

Has he landed huge recruits yet (in this cycle)? No. Has he got some nice prospects? Yes. The QBs are good, one of them has the potential to be big. And he is bringing in huge recruits. So at the very least, we will have shots at them, which is more than we can say for the last staff.

I think you are being a bit unfair to Riley. His teams were not always sub par as you state. OSU is a little tiny fish in the big ocean called the PAC 12. They can`t compete with SC, UCLA, Stanford, Oregon, ASU year in and year out. On occasion Riley would beat them but certainly not year in and year out. They don`t have the resources or facilities to do so. Oregon State reminds me a bit of Northwestern. They always play tough but rarely have the horses to win the big ones.
Understood, so let's start recruiting something other than past OSU results.

It's going to take time. We did not hire a rainmaker-type recruiter along with MR. So it's going to be a brick-by-brick build. The sooner we start winning the big games with the players we have, the sooner MR will be able to start pulling in better recruits. It's not happening overnight....that is not the direction our program leaders chose.
And BC proved you don't have to wait.

Eichorst was asked in the 11/30/14 press conference announcing Pelini's dismissal whether NU has the talent to compete for championships:

"That is not my expertise, I would hope we do. I see it from a far. I think our coaches have obviously have seen that and that Is why they brought these young men into our program. At the end of the day, I think we have kids in our program that are capable of winning championships."

I am getting real tired of the local media creating a narrative that this team lacks the talent to compete for championships immediately.

Reactions: AndyHanline
Eichorst was asked in the 11/30/14 press conference announcing Pelini's dismissal whether NU has the talent to compete for championships:

"That is not my expertise, I would hope we do. I see it from a far. I think our coaches have obviously have seen that and that Is why they brought these young men into our program. At the end of the day, I think we have kids in our program that are capable of winning championships."

I am getting real tired of the local media creating a narrative that this team lacks the talent to compete for championships immediately.

So then why did your Bo Pelini fail? Did he fail to develop the said championship talent we currently have on the roster?

Reactions: anon_umk0ifu6vj6zi
So then why did your Bo Pelini fail? Did he fail to develop the said championship talent we currently have on the roster?

The first question is irrelevant to expectations for 2015 . Bo Pelini is no longer the head coach at the University of Nebraska.

Shawn Eichorst has gone on record saying he made the coaching change to compete for championships, to win the games that matter, and that the athletes in the program are capable of such.

If you consider Pelini as incompetent and an abject failure -- yet he managed every season to win no less than nine games -- any coaching upgrade should be expected to produce more. Immediately.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT