ADVERTISEMENT

rb out of Texas committed to us today.

4A??? Not really- it goes 6,5,4, etc... Equivalent to Broken Bow size in Nebraska, and that might not be even the best comparison but 4A is small school here in Texas

False.

Van is 4A, Division 1. Schools for that division fall between 686 and 1059 for enrollment. Texas counts grades 9-12 for their enrollment, while Nebraska counts 9-11. But, Texas uses a multiplier of 1.33 when the incoming freshman are unknown and a school only does a 3-grade count as a result.

Using that multiplier for Nebraska numbers: 686 would be closest in size to Blair (Nebraska count is 521, using the multiplier it would be 692) the 11th biggest Class B school. 1059 would be closest to Elkhorn South (Nebraska count is 794, using the multiplier it would be 1,056) the 3rd biggest Class B school.

So the class he's playing in would be equivalent in size (note, I'm not dealing with quality) to the largest third of the Class B schools in Nebraska.

FYI, Broken Bow is C1, with a count of 177 and a multiplier count of 235. They would be comparable to a 3A Division II school in Texas.

Texas Cut Off #'s

4A Division I Teams
Nebraska Classification Data

I'll take any coaches talent evaluation over my own. Welcome aboard!

If his star rating stays at 2:
"another reach by Riley and staff"

If the star rating rises to 3 or 4:
"there's a 5 star in his state still uncommitted, why aren't we going after him?"

If he gets more offers from big time programs:
"we'll never be able to keep him"

If he flips to another program before signing day:
"Told ya we'd never keep him"

If he wins the Heisman as a true freshman:
"even a broken clock is right twice a day, look at the rest of the class"
LOL You know our fanbase quite well.

Reactions: bboyhard
So let me get this right; I missed the talent level envelope in my locker when I started high school? How many 5* envelopes are handed out per perceived school level, and are they counted against county scholarships?

Some testing numbers for Thomas at a recent clinic linked here.

Would be easier to get excited if he dominated the combine, but he really didn't. 5th best 40 out of 14 running backs and only the 8th best 10 yard time. 8th best pro agility run. Good vertical leap and best squat, which probably contributes to his tackle-breaking ability.

Still used to guys like Burkhead and Abdullah with phenomenal agility and 10-yard times even if, especially Burkhead, they didn't have great peak speed. The site does note that the 40 was run on a wet surface with laser timing, so in context a 4.71 40 isn't BAD, but it isn't really GOOD, either, especially with 4 other backs running faster. He reports a 4.49 hand-timed 40 elsewhere, and a 10.9 100m which is a nice 100.

The title splits are for the UIL to make more money, has nothing to do with size. We should have one champ in each division, only 2 playoff teams from each district. Best players are at the bigger schools 5-6A, then some 4A kids. Only go lower than 4A if they are exceptional, because they have not played the best comp. 6A & 5A kids have more comp and better talent at their level.

Baylor and TCU have made a living off of 4A (old 3A) at their skill spots other than QB. They mostly have nothing but 5-6A QBs, other than Stidham kid, who was best in state 2014.

I like his film a lot. Great vision and patience (he's a natural at knowing where to go), he can slow down and then explode quickly up to top speed, side steps well and maintains his balance. Once they put some weight on him, he could work out really well. They never threw to him in his highlight film, nor did they show any protection blocking but I would think he could catch the ball as that is an important skill at the position for our coach. Thumbs Up, GBR!

Who is considered the best back in the country AA's come around every once in a while. We as much big time talent as possible and you guys wonder why we stay at 9 and 4. Its just as much the talent we have as it is the coaching.

Lol.. There are 20 4A schools in Texas That could make a run at a Class A title in Nebraska. I watched his film repeatedly. Broken Bow would get Broken in half in Texas 4A.

This kid is a speed back. He will not be a feature back for Riley.

The problem is that he is slow, not a speed back with a 4.71 forty. I sure hope MR knows what he is doing and that he realizes he's not at OSU any more.

Last edited:
The problem is that he is slow, not a speed back with a 4.71 forty. I sure hope MR knows what he is doing and that he realizes he's not at OSU any more.

No he's not. He's a 4.4 kid, and if you can't see that in his film, then please don't ever respond to one of my posts again. I don't have time for you.

With all due respect, you hold Nebraska high school football to a status level that has not been attained.

Key word...... Size of school--- op said 4A is "damn good"! I went to all of the championship games at AT&T stadium and 4A division 1 and 6A division 1 or 2 is like night and day with sheer size and talent. I'm sure he will be a great player , just don't assume he comes from Texas=stud

Wow, ya Herr Hitler! Won't ever question your authority again. Btw, where you an outspoken Bo supporter?

No... I was outspoken against the constant bashing of players and recruits because it gave Bo a pass. People, like yourself, were complaining because Bo wasn't recruiting on par with Florida State. But Nebraska wasn't playing the Florida States of the world. They were losing to Minnesota and Iowa and Northwestern. Talent was never an issue in those losses. It was systematic failure across the board with relation to on the field discipline, off the field organization, and a collection of coaches who's resumes did not warrant a job at the University of Nebraska.

I will repeatedly hold the same belief when it comes to Husker recruiting under Riley:

Nebraska will always roll out of bed in the morning and recruit 9 or 10 win talent. The N on the helmet, the facilities, the tradition, the fan support, and the money allows that to happen. The team needs to prove it can play with an identity. It needs to prove they can maintain a defensive standard, and be a potent offense that doesn't beat itself. The program needs to be disciplined and organized. Riley brings those qualities. If you can maintain that standard, the 9 win team will suddenly become a 10 or 11 win team consistently.

At that point, you will then reach a level where you need to start recruiting like the Florida States of the world.

One last thing:

Nobody should ever question when Mike Riley earns a commitment from an offensive skill player. That guy has always had excellent skill talent. The real test will be with offensive and defensive linemen. That's where championships are won and lost.

Ohio State had some terrific QB's, and great players like Elliot and Devin Smith among others. But Ohio State won a National Title because of their offensive and defensive line talent. Hell, Joey Bosa might be up there with JJ Watt and Suh as one of the all time great College Defensive Linemen of this century.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll be completely honest and admit if Bo was still here and was putting together the exact same class I wouldn't be overly excited, yet. However, I am also happy to wait at least another year plus before I draw any conclusions on MR's recruiting ability.

I'll be completely honest and admit if Bo was still here and was putting together the exact same class I wouldn't be overly excited, yet. However, I am also happy to wait at least another year plus before I draw any conclusions on MR's recruiting ability.
That's fair. It all comes down to trust. Bo broke our trust over and over again. Let's give MR our trust until he proves otherwise.

Film looks solid. He's not what I was expecting. I thought he'd be some sort of little scat back like Quizz or Ameer. For the record I always loved the film on Abdullah, loved how low he got coming into contact and how guys just couldn't get a clean wrap on him.

This kid looks like a very north-south type of dude. Not a ton of wiggle, no jukes that make you go "WOW!" like Rex. Cuts enough to put the defender in a bad spot to try to make a clean hit, though.

I am impressed with his balance and rushing power. He runs high, but doesn't really get pulled down easily. He does a nice job of firing his knees up high when he's got leg contact to run out of ankle tackles.

A lot of sweeps in his film, but he doesn't necessarily seem to be a "bouncer" who is always trying to outrace people to the sideline. Seems to know when to make his cut and attack the space. Needs to work on that pad level, IMO, but I can see where there's things to like.

Follows his blocks well. That's very underrated. This kid uses his blockers properly to keep them between him and the defender.

Man among boys.
Stiff hips.
Operates in space.
Upright runner, needs to lower pad level.
Workout warrior/gym rat.
Translates well to the next level.
Speed to burn.
A coach's player.

Let's give the guy a chance. (And yes "the guy" is left undefined on purpose.)

Man among boys.
Stiff hips.
Operates in space.
Upright runner, needs to lower pad level.
Workout warrior/gym rat.
Translates well to the next level.
Speed to burn.
A coach's player.

If they can coach him to "sink into his hips" a bit more, that would also help with his lateral agility. Staying so high forces those choppy little steps when he's trying to change direction.

I can see where a little coaching could turn him into a nice back. There's a nice foundation to work with. Keeps his shoulders toward the goal line, doesn't waste time and motion trying to dance around. I like that run where it's called up the middle, but there's nowhere to go. He stays squared up the whole time as he bounces it outside the tackle. He naturally does some things you might have to spend 3+ years coaching another back to learn.

Just watched his video, and I came away thinking he's a very physical/violent runner. I think the coaches clean up his footwork and he can be something. Kid looked like Lynch out there at times. I'm excited for him.

That 4.71 is being spoken as if it was something to like. ; Its electronics, so will be slower than hand held; and may be slower yet because they were sure to mention its a specific type. Great if we can balance these times.
As you know the hand held, even averages; can reflect bias and accidents in trying to impress and get scholarships for kids. This player was getting to the edge and taking off; he also pulled away as breaking tackles in traffic. My impression is he is faster than AA at this point in his career; that worked out all right. Just sayin

I'll be interested to see where this young man ends up ranked after he gets himself some exposure, e.g., camps, senior year film, etc.

I really think that people are underestimating Riley and his staff. This kid is not getting a small bump...he will end up with 4 stars and some 20 offers.

So what are your credentials? Just curious, since you seem to know more than Riley and staff...

It's one thing if this occurred in January, meaning we've got to find someone. But this is the end of May. They have plenty of time to find the right RB, unless they think they've already found him. It seems to me this is the guy they wanted, and it must have been for a reason. They saw something they liked, which led them to make the offer.

Why would they make this offer at this stage when there is so much time left? This isn't their first time recruiting players, so why did they pull the trigger now?

Maybe there is something to this kid being a late bloomer...

bumping for 500mileradius... still waiting for an answer...

Ok I'll admit this isn't the next commit I was expecting and the offer list is very meh but all the people who are bashing Riley, please tell me you did the same to Bo when he first started recruiting(?). Lets see if he turns into something after he gets on campus. If we see a trend a few years down the road where all these low star kids aren't developing then yeah, questioning the staff should be expected but he we haven't even seen him coach his first game in Lincoln.

And to the people saying no one wanted Ameer lol yeah right. Asked Auburn and Bama fans. They were pissed their coaching staffs let Ameer get out of the state. He played in the top division in Alabama.

AA never sets foot at Nebraska if any SEC schools wanted him at running back. Several offered as a DB, but nobody wanted him as a running back.

A lot of RBs film looks good in HS but never really do anything in college. I'm sure we can make a list. If this kids turns out to be 4 stars along with one of Riley's QB recruits then Riley is skilled at identifying talent before others and can think for himself. I am hopeful but skeptical, are TCU and Balylor that bad at identifying talent that they won't even give an offer? Hopefully so.

No he's not. He's a 4.4 kid, and if you can't see that in his film, then please don't ever respond to one of my posts again. I don't have time for you.

So you are saying he is faster than all but 3 RBs that performed in the NFL combine this year?

Good to know he's faster than Abdullah, duke Johnson, Melvin Gordon, etc..

Reactions: AndyHanline
LOL he is not a 4.4 kid. Nothing wrong with that either. But definitely not a 4.4 running back

Reactions: Nate004
Not saying he won't pan out but recruiting oregon state talent will give you oregon state results on the field. I hope he turns into the next abdullah.
huge difference between abdulla and this kid. first abdulla was the number 9 rated recuit in the state of alabama. thomas is not in the top 100 of texas. look at abdulla offer list.

huge difference between abdulla and this kid. first abdulla was the number 9 rated recuit in the state of alabama. thomas is not in the top 100 of texas. look at abdulla offer list.
It'd be interesting to know what Abdulla was ranked this time of year going into his Sr year.

So you are saying he is faster than all but 3 RBs that performed in the NFL combine this year?

Good to know he's faster than Abdullah, duke Johnson, Melvin Gordon, etc..

He's clearly faster than Abdullah.

And so we're just talking laser guided times now or what? The kid ran a 4.65 laser time at an East Texas Combine held in March. Its easy to see how a coach would've timed him at a 4.49 with a stopwatch.

We've got guys bashing him for a 4.7 forty, because everyone thinks all Rivals 40 times are accurate. I see a speed guy on film. He has excellent speed.

At Van High School, they had a 4 Year Starter at Running back who was a multiple year 4A All-Stater. He accumulated almost 7,000 total yards and 80 touchdowns in high school. That kid actually lost carries to Aphonso Thomas... as a Senior.

4 Year starters in Texas HS football don't lose touches as Seniors unless they hurt themselves. Thomas really gave the coach no choice. He was too good.

I will make the comparison again, his high school film reminds me of Josh Kalu. You will never hurt your football team with athletes of that caliber.

You win championships with your defensive front 7 and your offensive line.

It'd be interesting to know what Abdulla was ranked this time of year going into his Sr year.

I'm 95% sure he was a 3 star. The entire way throught. What level, who knows. None of the early article mention it.

Of note, he didn't pick up his first two BCS offers until June 28 of the summer before his senior year. Who knows how Thomas's recruitment will go, but there is plenty of time to go.

He's clearly faster than Abdullah.

And so we're just talking laser guided times now or what? The kid ran a 4.65 laser time at an East Texas Combine held in March. Its easy to see how a coach would've timed him at a 4.49 with a stopwatch.

We've got guys bashing him for a 4.7 forty, because everyone thinks all Rivals 40 times are accurate. I see a speed guy on film. He has excellent speed.

At Van High School, they had a 4 Year Starter at Running back who was a multiple year 4A All-Stater. He accumulated almost 7,000 total yards and 80 touchdowns in high school. That kid actually lost carries to Aphonso Thomas... as a Senior.

4 Year starters in Texas HS football don't lose touches as Seniors unless they hurt themselves. Thomas really gave the coach no choice. He was too good.

I will make the comparison again, his high school film reminds me of Josh Kalu. You will never hurt your football team with athletes of that caliber.

You win championships with your defensive front 7 and your offensive line.
Where did that kid go to college? Just interested.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT