ADVERTISEMENT

QB Duggan a 2nd weekend in Lincoln??

If true, smdh.
It's not true. He just knows there is intelligent football conversation here. So he learns here and takes it back to the Iowa board where he can go full peacock strut as he shares with the less informed Iowa board what he learned here. I look at it as a form of charitable activity, helping the less advantaged.

Reactions: baseball31ne
It's not true. He just knows there is intelligent football conversation here. So he learns here and takes it back to the Iowa board where he can go full peacock strut as he shares with the less informed Iowa board what he learned here. I look at it as a form of charitable activity, helping the less advantaged.

Thanks. I will never venture to that board so I had no idea if he was telling the truth or blowing smoke.

I can't go to the Iowa board. There are more Nebraksa fans over there than there are here.
6mWxhHO.gif

No way. Has he not been reading this board? He is an Iowa lock. They run a pro style offense like Wisconsin does.
I don't have to take this! I can get this type of sass from all of the other Husker fans that are on the Duggan thread on the Iowa Board! I will say it's nicer over here, some Husker fans are dropping some curse words over there.

I saw on twitter today, I think a land of 10 article, Iowa's last 4 QBs- Stanzi drafted, Vandeneberg not drafted, Rudock drafted, Beathard drafted. If one is seduced by the recruiting rags- the two fighting it out this year - the Wiegers kid was a 4 star, Stanley a 3 star.

We will typically be very hard for Iowa to beat, and Iowa will typically be very hard to beat. Any banter to the contrary is spin, and cherry picking narratives.

If Bo Pelini can go 3-1 against Iowa, I like our chances, once Riley has a QB that can run his system.

Reactions: BroskiRed
Who knows where he goes. This kid will only get better going to camps as his high school team has no receivers that are very good. His dad is a genius by getting him to so many camps and how he plays him in games. He has 2 full years of high school football to go. I also agree that if Notre Dame offers that they would be a front runner. Going to camps in Lincoln is great for him as they have top of the line receivers and its an hour away from home. Iowa was in on him early and that also helps sway a kids decision. Im not too confident he ends up in Lincoln. I say either Iowa or ND if he stays in the midwest. Who knows if Bama, Clemson or other big boys step up with offers. I really wish they could get some WR talent at Lewis Central (except when they play my team).

Debbie I think being able to play 1 hour from home with be WR talent in CFB has merit,

If Bo Pelini can go 3-1 against Iowa, I like our chances, once Riley has a QB that can run his system.
and Bo didn't really even have a system.. Mike with an actual system, is 0-2 already.. makes sense

Last edited:
I think you missed the part where he said "once we have a QB that can run his system". Riley has a system. And he's 0-0 against Iowa with it.
I didn't miss it at all, my point was that another coach who didn't have a system, has done better than a coach who does have a system. Too much emphasis is placed on the system in my opinion.

I didn't miss it at all, my point was that another coach who didn't have a system, has done better than a coach who does have a system. Too much emphasis is placed on the system in my opinion.
I agree. If only the coaching staff would do away with the systems, then we would be beating Iowa again.

Your logic is spot on! I can't like your post enough!!!

Wait, I didn't even like it the first time...

I agree. If only the coaching staff would do away with the systems, then we would be beating Iowa again.

Your logic is spot on! I can't like your post enough!!!

Wait, I didn't even like it the first time...
Well you sure twisted that one up into things I didn't say at all.

I wish fellow Nebraska fans would stop making excuses for Riley and his poor performance on the field. It would be a big change to see people actually hold him accountable.

But the reality is, people want to talk about how bad Iowa is, while we continue to get thumped by them year after year.. Makes sense right?

Golly gee, if only we had this kind of QB, or that kind of WR... shucks, we lost to Iowa again..

Sometimes, you guys just amaze me with the excuses you will lay down to cover up a nice 54% coach.

Reactions: jeans15

I wish fellow Nebraska fans would stop making excuses for Riley and his poor performance on the field. It would be a big change to see people actually hold him accountable.

But the reality is, people want to talk about how bad Iowa is, while we continue to get thumped by them year after year.. Makes sense right?

Golly gee, if only we had this kind of QB, or that kind of WR... shucks, we lost to Iowa again..

Sometimes, you guys just amaze me with the excuses you will lay down to cover up a nice 54% coach.
- Hi - guessing your not Tony Robbins under an assumed name. Is it possible not too look to the past and be possible to have hope for the future? Are you mistaking that for a free pass on any past record?
- I am hoping red Koolaide optimism is allowed, or imo, we are just critics. Is the only legit Super Bowl winners claim as champion, the one that went undefeated ?
- IMO, TA had horrible games in the Iowa losses, the reasons are well debated, but the qb play took us out of the game vs our potential to win. Fact really, but ok an opinion - all are entitled.
- Iowa is a good team. One funny thing though; wasn't it just a couple years ago that they were said to be on a ticket buyers strike, to pressure the AD to fire him or not renew as his contract ran out or got too realistic buy-out levels? Then a good year and bang its right back. What mercy would you have shown as an Iowa fan ?
- Imo , N fans have to be excited for such stellar efforts going on through all phases of our building momentum. I shared some negative thoughts, I said the kids could probably get better special team results in many areas by coaching themselves - that guy is gone. Its tough out there, and especially in the B1G, all have money now. I M technically old now, I remember all the grief coach T O caught, even without the internet - the undefeated mental fans nearly drove him to Colorado, he would have won the titles there. I wonder how many here would work an average of 12 hours a day and be on call for recruiting, or lead the field in their chosen field?
- Trying to enjoy the process again. We are maneuvering into position in a billionaires club. I see where we could make the playoffs, then we have the chance again. Thanks to all for hopeful posts.

Actually, you're the one twisting things, saying system isn't important.

Here are some facts that I think you cannot dispute. The system Mike Riley likes to run is one that requires accuracy from the QB and the ability to check down, neither of which was a strong suit in TA. As a result, the coaching staff attempted to make changes to their system to accommodate TA and his skills, but it was something that wasn't second nature to them. It was challenging. The first year they struggled. Last year they improved.

Now this coming year they will have a QB to run the system they are accustomed to, which is going to be a BIG deal.

Now if you really believe that Bo and his recruiting were going to continue to get it done, by all means, point out that Riley and his morphed system to TA resulted in 2 losses to Iowa. Otherwise, shut your piehole until Riley produces the 54% with his own recruits. This year will be a good test of that.

Many of us who are defending the coaching staff are doing so because he hasn't had many of his own recruits in place. This year he does. He will be held accountable for bad seasons moving forward. But the first two years he does get a bit of a pass (especially since he had a successful sophomore campaign).

Is that really that hard for you to comprehend?

One other question for you... can you point to a school that changed from a zone read option offense to a pro style offense and immediately had success? I would be very interested to hear about that, so that I can get in line with you and bag on Riley and Co., and his 54% win percentage, assuming you can provide good examples of immediate success from other coaches who have changed systems.

Thanks.

Last edited:

i can only speak for myself, but I have respect for the product Iowa puts on the field, the Iowa football team has an identity and they stick to it, imo they will not win a B1G championship with their style as they essentially run the Wisconsin system just not as well. That said, there is not one fan base I despise more than typical Iowa fan, never has one fan base had such a high percentage of woulda, coulda, shoulda fans. As bad as KSU and Colorado fans can be, Iowa fans are much worse, imo. Every fan base has its knuckleheads but the Iowa fan base has a disproportionate share of complete goofballs. The fact that typical Iowa fan only considers football that began after 2001 is absolutely absurd.
There is no excuse for what happened last season against Iowa. Total coaching failure imo. The huskers knew their offensive limitations and did not address them adequately. With the talent disparity between Iowa and the huskers, the huskers should win at least 2/3 of the series against Iowa. That is what I expect to happen.

i can only speak for myself, but I have respect for the product Iowa puts on the field, the Iowa football team has an identity and they stick to it, imo they will not win a B1G championship with their style as they essentially run the Wisconsin system just not as well. That said, there is not one fan base I despise more than typical Iowa fan, never has one fan base had such a high percentage of woulda, coulda, shoulda fans. As bad as KSU and Colorado fans can be, Iowa fans are much worse, imo. Every fan base has its knuckleheads but the Iowa fan base has a disproportionate share of complete goofballs. The fact that typical Iowa fan only considers football that began after 2001 is absolutely absurd.
There is no excuse for what happened last season against Iowa. Total coaching failure imo. The huskers knew their offensive limitations and did not address them adequately. With the talent disparity between Iowa and the huskers, the huskers should win at least 2/3 of the series against Iowa. That is what I expect to happen.
It didn't help Nebraska that the Iowa d line and o line were moving the Nebraska linemen around like they were round marbles.

One other question for you... can you point to a school that changed from a zone read option offense to a pro style offense and immediately had success? I would be very interested to hear about that, so that I can get in line with you and bag on Riley and Co., and his 54% win percentage, assuming you can provide good examples of immediate success from other coaches who have changed systems.

Thanks.

I guess the retort to that would be...why would a coach switch a zone read/spread option QB to a pro style offense QB?

And I know I'm loading the question, much like "When did you stop beating your wife?"

Last edited:
Reactions: timnsun
I guess the retort to that would be...why would a coach switch a zone read/spread option QB to a pro style offense QB?

And I know I'm loading the question, much like "When did you stop beating your wife?"
I hear ya... valid point.

Not the beating my wife point...

That's where I don't know what the right answer is. If you change for the QBs we had, when do you begin to install the pro style? And if you wait, are you further behind? Are you not getting pro style recruits since you're running a zone read/spread option offense?

Reactions: SWIowahawks
I hear ya... valid point.

Not the beating my wife point...

That's where I don't know what the right answer is. If you change for the QBs we had, when do you begin to install the pro style? And if you wait, are you further behind? Are you not getting pro style recruits since you're running a zone read/spread option offense?

Honestly, I think they kind of figured out a good offense for Tommy by the end of year one. The problem was that it was predicated on being able to run the ball and use his mobility to get him good passing opportunities. As the injuries started mounting on the line the ability to run the ball with any consistency went away and the best option became square peg/round hole, because the square hole had collapsed in on itself.

Reactions: OzzyLvr and timnsun

Because the AD hired a coach that ran a pro style offense. You don't hire Chip Kelly if you want him to run a WCO. The reasons for keeping Armstrong as the starting QB were much more involved than just fit. But that is Way to long a discussion for this morning since I am on my way to a staff meeting.

Because the AD hired a coach that ran a pro style offense. You don't hire Chip Kelly if you want him to run a WCO. The reasons for keeping Armstrong as the starting QB were much more involved than just fit. But that is Way to long a discussion for this morning since I am on my way to a staff meeting.

Yep, and that's why I called it a loaded question. Many sides to that issue.

Reactions: Tuco Salamanca

I'm pretty sure me and you could have a few beers(cervezas) and talk ball all day, Huskers or otherwise.

Reactions: Tuco Salamanca
ADVERTISEMENT