ADVERTISEMENT

QB Duggan a 2nd weekend in Lincoln??

I was just going to mention this. Ferentz has had a lot of NFL success but QB has been something of a weak spot in 20 years at the helm
QB's and WR's have been hard for Ferentz to develope for whatever reason. There is a long line of players who had phenomenal numbers sophomore/juniors year but had less than stellar senior seasons. Iowa isn't playing with an empty deck this season at QB either. A four star is competing with a kid that won the backup role as a true freshman last year. It's all gonna hinge on the new WRs coming in and if Wadley can stay healthy

QB's and WR's have been hard for Ferentz to develope for whatever reason. There is a long line of players who had phenomenal numbers sophomore/juniors year but had less than stellar senior seasons. Iowa isn't playing with an empty deck this season at QB either. A four star is competing with a kid that won the backup role as a true freshman last year. It's all gonna hinge on the new WRs coming in and if Wadley can stay healthy
No really it's going to hinge on whether a QB with very little experience can perform at a high level against B1G D's. We'll have to wait for the B1G schedule to start before anyone can tell anything about iowas QBs due to the extremely weak OOC schedule the hawks play.

So with that pro style system in place why aren't the top pro style high school QBs choosing Iowa or Wisconsin?

Nebraska has 2 in the last 2 years in OBrien and Gebbia? Weird huh?
The top pro-style QBs in the country are probably going to the top pro-style programs. Alabama, USC, Stanford.

No really it's going to hinge on whether a QB with very little experience can perform at a high level against B1G D's. We'll have to wait for the B1G schedule to start before anyone can tell anything about iowas QBs due to the extremely weak OOC schedule the hawks play.
First I thought you were talking about Nebraskas new QB. Seeing as he is also unproven against B1G defenses as well. At least Iowas QB will have a running game and defense to lean on a little bit.

Nebraska is going to be running under center 80% of the time and using a fullback and tight end regularly?

I don't know of the exact percentages of how much they will be under center. This article (http://www.omaha.com/huskers/footba...cle_afdba5e3-59a9-5004-a1c8-d02b2615e3dd.html) says, 'He (Riley) knows the Badgers’ scheme well. In a sense, it’s Riley’s own scheme.' So you can expect a similar style to Wisconsin. Chryst was Riley's OC for a few years.

TE use will be up from the last couple years (based on change of QB and spring game), but lack of experience at the position will be an issue this year. TE has been a huge recruiting emphasis since the new staff has arrived. Pelini left the position in poor shape due to lack of underclassmen.

The FB was used extensively when Janovich was on the team. Less so last year. Having Ben Miles come on board as a scholarship player shows they want to utilize the position.

Reactions: huskerfan1414
I don't know of the exact percentages of how much they will be under center. This article (http://www.omaha.com/huskers/footba...cle_afdba5e3-59a9-5004-a1c8-d02b2615e3dd.html) says, 'He (Riley) knows the Badgers’ scheme well. In a sense, it’s Riley’s own scheme.' So you can expect a similar style to Wisconsin. Chryst was Riley's OC for a few years.

TE use will be up from the last couple years (based on change of QB and spring game), but lack of experience at the position will be an issue this year. TE has been a huge recruiting emphasis since the new staff has arrived. Pelini left the position in poor shape due to lack of underclassmen.

The FB was used extensively when Janovich was on the team. Less so last year. Having Ben Miles come on board as a scholarship player shows they want to utilize the position.
I'd be more worried about Nebraska if they started going actual pro-style and get to the point where they can regularly run the ball no problem. And maybe they are going that way and I think that'd be a smart move.

But if it's just going to be some California kids ina spread offense all game I look forward to those games.

You hear it here first. If he ends up going to Iowa everyone on here will just saw we didn't want him anyways. I've seen that happen anytime a recruit picks a different school or decommits.

I'd be more worried about Nebraska if they started going actual pro-style and get to the point where they can regularly run the ball no problem. And maybe they are going that way and I think that'd be a smart move.

But if it's just going to be some California kids ina spread offense all game I look forward to those games.

Look at all of Mike Rileys Oregon State teams. They were all pro-style offensives with traditional pro-style QBs. All of the QBs Nebraska has signed since Riley has been here have been highly rated pro-style QBs.

The staff ran a bastarized offense for Armstrong because he couldn't hit the broad side of a barn.

First I thought you were talking about Nebraskas new QB. Seeing as he is also unproven against B1G defenses as well. At least Iowas QB will have a running game and defense to lean on a little bit.
Well you're obviously not that bright and inconsistent which are two traits I see in typical Iowa fan. So CJB was very good as a transfer and gave Iowa one their best seasons in Iowa history ( not saying a lot, but I digress), but you'd rather go with a young QB with little experience over another transfer, ok sure, get lost.

No one here cares if your worried or not.

Well you're obviously not that bright and inconsistent which are two traits I see in typical Iowa fan. So CJB was very good as a transfer and gave Iowa one their best seasons in Iowa history ( not saying a lot, but I digress), but you'd rather go with a young QB with little experience over another transfer, ok sure, get lost.
CJB wasn't a transfer, but keep talking.

I have a hard time believing he picks Iowa over Nebraska when you compare the skill position talent Nebraska is bringing in compared to Iowa. If he was a TE or OL I could see how Iowa may have a better pitch. But after throwing to the talent at Nebraska's camp and then the talent at Iowa's, you'd think it would be pretty clear at what place will hep you be successful.
IMO if ND offers he goes, you need to realize he comes from a big time Catholic family, his dad coached multiple state championship teams at St. Albert going to ND would be the ultimate achievement for him. Just my opinion he has a few years of high school ball left to play.

Um...you do realize that Riley runs essentially a hybrid West Coast Offense, which is a part of nearly every offensive system in the NFL. And it comes as no surprise that Wisconsin runs a very similar offense. Chryst and Riley have a long history coaching together, and are very good friends.

We have just been trying to make this offense work with a guy (T. Armstrong) that is a lifetime 53% passer, and is a better runner than passer. We also didn't have the talent at RB on campus already like Chryst did when he arrived at Wisconsin. You'll find that as our offense evolves, it will look a lot more like Wisconsin's offense, as Riley and his staff get the players in place.

Having a subpar passer in this system is why you've seen our offense struggle, and why you saw TA miss countless receivers over the last two years. As much as I loved Tommie's heart and his fierce competitiveness, his accuracy and decision making were not good. Our coaches have been trying in earnest to put lipstick on a pig. Take his limitations as a passer...and throw in a torn hamstring on what was essentially a RB trying to pass the ball...and you get 40-10.

BTW, Riley had 3 QBs drafted in his last 10 years at Oregon State. Oregon State, for goodness sakes. So...It looks like Nebraska is running a system that is more likely to get college QBs drafted than Iowa's system. Especially when you have better high school QBs coming into our system than Iowa does. Will that be enough to overcome Iowa's great development on both the OLine and DLine? To be determined..

Tristan Gebbia - #6 Pro Style QB - https://n.rivals.com/content/prospects/2017/tristan-gebbia-2292

Patrick O'Brien - #7 Pro Style QB - https://n.rivals.com/content/prospects/2016/patrick-o-brien-2871

These are the QBs from our last two classes.

Now you went and did it...you destroyed Percyland's argument. Hey Percy before spouting off you might want to at least find out what kind of offense Nebraska is running. Oh and if T.J. Pledger commits this weekend, our running game just got a lot better.

I'm not following. Iowa is built around running the ball and strong defenses. Weigers or Stanley just need to be serviceable and not turn the ball over. Also, Wyoming is almost a top 25 team with arguably the top QB in the draft next year. Then, sadly, playing at ISU is nothing to look past.

I'm not following. Iowa is built around running the ball and strong defenses. Weigers or Stanley just need to be serviceable and not turn the ball over. Also, Wyoming is almost a top 25 team with arguably the top QB in the draft next year. Then, sadly, playing at ISU is nothing to look past.

How surprised would you be if Wyoming upsets Iowa? IMO, such a great matchup for Wyo. NFL QB able to test a young Iowa secondary right off the bat.

Reactions: donahues17
BTW, Riley had 3 QBs drafted in his last 10 years at Oregon State. Oregon State, for goodness sakes. So...It looks like Nebraska is running a system that is more likely to get college QBs drafted than Iowa's system. Especially when you have better high school QBs coming into our system than Iowa does. Will that be enough to overcome Iowa's great development on both the OLine and DLine? To be determined..

I saw on twitter today, I think a land of 10 article, Iowa's last 4 QBs- Stanzi drafted, Vandeneberg not drafted, Rudock drafted, Beathard drafted. If one is seduced by the recruiting rags- the two fighting it out this year - the Wiegers kid was a 4 star, Stanley a 3 star.

We will typically be very hard for Iowa to beat, and Iowa will typically be very hard to beat. Any banter to the contrary is spin, and cherry picking narratives.

Reactions: loper
How surprised would you be if Wyoming upsets Iowa? IMO, such a great matchup for Wyo. NFL QB able to test a young Iowa secondary right off the bat.
I don't think it would be surprising, neither would losing week two. Unlikely on both, but not surprising. The Iowa guy is right, that is a nastier opening two weeks than they'll get credit for.

As I said before you can't count Rudock. Either him or Beat Hard wouldn't have been drafted had he stayed at Iowa. One was going to be a backup that didn't play.

And barring injury they will have as many NFL TDs as Tommy Armstrong.
Iowa could have 5 QBs starting in the NFL and you'd be able to come up with some negative about it so there's no point to discuss it. But maybe the talent over at Iowa isn't as bad as people in Lincoln think it is. And again brings me to the original point of might be a reason a prospect would consider Iowa over Nebraksa.

Iowa could have 5 QBs starting in the NFL and you'd be able to come up with some negative about it so there's no point to discuss it. But maybe the talent over at Iowa isn't as bad as people in Lincoln think it is. And again brings me to the original point of might be a reason a prospect would consider Iowa over Nebraksa.

You're right. Maybe you should discuss Iowa football on the Iowa forum. That way you all can have a circle jerk discussing the huge number of quality NFL QBs in your program and not bore us with your delusions of grandeur. Deal?

You're right. Maybe you should discuss Iowa football on the Iowa forum. That way you all can have a circle jerk discussing the huge number of quality NFL QBs in your program and not bore us with your delusions of grandeur. Deal?
I can't go to the Iowa board. There are more Nebraksa fans over there than there are here.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT